Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Trigger FTL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

Heck, themes can happen even if they're unintentional.

Bold...But I agree.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't really care if someone really loves the Skeleton show or whatever awful isekai. but imo what's bad is pretending all the bad stuff was invented for the anime and that the series doesnt have any of that at all, so they can act offended/shocked every week while watching it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

There is already a thread for gross isekai just use that for in-depth discussion past the initial episodes if no one wants to make a specific show thread :shrug:

It is funny to me how sometimes it seems like people who like something with uh, risque content either don't notice? how bad it is when talking it up or just selectively remember the good parts and not the rest and idk if it's like a desensitization thing or what. I know I have definitely forgotten about objectionable early content in longer (bl) manga that I had to backtrack on when I gave it a skim and was like, whoops that's a little yikes probably needs a heads-up CW. It's not a big deal imo to provide honest content warnings for stuff you like that has scenes that people might not want to see and should have some upfront notice before viewing. Sometimes it feels like people somehow didn't notice how raunchy something could get or deliberately downplay it to....idk make it seem more "wholesome" or something. Like, is it not wanting to acknowledge that [thing I like] is also [thing with some gross scenes]? I guess it also goes hand in hand with watching entire shows while performatively declaring "actually I hate this" the whole time lol.

I think there is a balance that can be found between gushing effusively about how great the rape isekai show of the season is without caveat and the zorak zone of forbidden shows no one may speak of and imo that involves being honest about potentially upsetting content with up-front and clear content warnings so people can draw their own conclusions, and also being able to read the room a bit and be able to determine "ok maybe this show is one I don't need to laboriously rant about in the season thread in detail after every episode" even if you're watching it for hate reasons or because you (secretly/genuinely) enjoy it. If anything, if a show compels enough of a reaction that it needs that kind of vent or dissection then it also should be getting a thread of its own where all of that can live and the folks who want to read it can hash it out in there and the season thread doesn't get derailed with it.

This hits the nail on the head really. I actually was sort of interested in the Skeleton show cuz people hyped it up as a "wholesome Dad series" and then oh. no that's not it at all and people just made all that up cuz they don't want to admit they like a show with some unsavory stuff in it?? It just hurts everyone involved imo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

:dafuq:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm still agreeing with Squark that imp is some 12 year old who inherited his dads SA account or something.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm glad I simply do not watch these shows, instead of having an encyclopedic knowledge of the problematic elements of each one.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

99% of the people who love the shield hero show do not even conceptualize the slavery part of it from what I've seen. And hell, Good for them.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beginning to think maybe Raccoon Girl slavery is good now.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I see, I see.
*begins mashing silent alarm button under desk*

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

marumaru posted:

i'm almost 100% sure, without even looking for it, that there's gatekeeping in the higurashi community about playing with the original soccerball hand sprites

Gatekeeping is good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Can't wait for the inevitable botched Ciconia adaptation in 2050 when it's finally finished. :cheerdoge:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That was a good era.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Give me literally anything that Shikimori has done that absolutely any romcom under the sun hasn't.

Hell the premise isn't even that original, it's literally "Girl is good at things typically ascribed to men."

And Fate was doing that back in '06.

Except, y'know it had the balls to give King Arthur a vagina.

:goofy:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My hottake is people are more critical of it because its het. :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

You all are being weird about someone thinking/wanting to ship two girls together

I don't think that's what's happening, actually.