Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kin posted:

I kinda got that vibe when the actor playing MC started doing the press releases banging on about how a no-helmet chief was better because you need a face to convey emotion. Like, that's demonstrably false, so he's either a shite actor keen to make sure his face was on screen or he was too afraid/incapable of pushing back on whoever's running the show.

I mean the story, that is old as time, is that actors want their faces to be seen and producers want to get the bang for the buck for their expensive recognizable actors. If your main actor wears a face-covering helmet at all times you can swap them him with a stuntman and do VO. That there have been very famous examples of helmed actors getting post-hoc replaced by directors in post-production probably doesn't help.

Of course both Dredd (2011) and The Mandalorian show that this train of thought is idiotic, but that is the general reason for why productions so rarely do full-time masks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sash! posted:

Not even that recent a thing either. Darth Vader is almost universally agreed to be the greatest movie villain and you never saw his face. James Earl Jones did all of the work with his voice, 45 years ago.

That specific example is one of the most notorious ever for why actors are uncomfortable agreeing to masked roles. It turns what could be career-defining roles into footnotes on wikipedia.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeep posted:

That said, the naked bathroom scene would have been a lot better helmet on.

It would have cemented this show as one of the all-time greats.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Plot is real bad so far. Show wastes a lot of time on fluff.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

McSpanky posted:

I feel real bad for the multibillion-dollar multimedia conglomerate on that one.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chief better teabag someone before the season finale.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Alchenar posted:

At least this show is making steady progress on each of the plot threads, which is more than I can say for some stuff I'm watching right now. I've realised I'm paying attention to the Madrigol plotline basically because I genuinely believe that by the end of the season it will have tied back into the other threads in a way that justifies itself.

It's kind of funny because I would say the opposite, we have these incredibly ambitious shows this year like Wecrashed, The Dropout and Pam & Tommy who are just like this very expensive and also to some degree adaptations.

Difference, beyond them obviously being adaptations of real stories rather than a fictional universe, is that they star movie actors with busy schedules instead of tv actors and so cannot gently caress around and piss money down the drain in some vain hope of being the next game of thrones. They have to tell a cohesive story and they have to finish it.

It's poignant that this show stars Pablo Schreiber because just like American Gods it's increasingly starting to look an over-budgeted directionless mess of an adaptation. I mean I hope it recovers but it's increasingly heading down the mediocrity-vale of the high-budgeted adaptations of last-year. Like at least give us some fun scenes, you had all this production money.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Download the cursed halo mod for pistol throwing fun.

DM HaloFollower to ask him to make a t bagging edit.

For those who don't get the refence, the cursed halo mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMxIjGjMJz0

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tighclops posted:

Burn Gorman's coat was loving magnificent

This an aside, but why are characters in sci-fi shows featuring deserts always dressed like it's negative 20 celcius. His entire crew just rocking that hardcore winterwear.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Master Chef getting laid was a deep cut.

https://twitter.com/3CC0__/status/1525643881156866048?s=20&t=B_TQ8MSC75msyM7rbnIDWA

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Khanstant posted:

holy poo poo with the way gamer virgins were out with the pitchforks i figured the sex scene would actually be something but this isn't even close to a full penetration scene. there are more hardcore scenes on sesame street. grow up nerds

He should have worn the helmet.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My only gripe is why the Madrigal stuff has to exist at all. Okay, magic portal, sure.

I'm starting to feel like the Madrigal stuff exists because they overbudgeted the crap out of the opening battle and they wanted to squeeze every bit of money out the set and 3D-assets.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think we're going to get John Halo's raw rear end in frame as he solemnly overlooks Halo. Renewed.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is that the elder vampire guy from that vampire soap opera that was popular two decades ago.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Monica Bellucci posted:

I like it more and there are a lot of expensive practical things on camera. Still only getting a Defiance season 3 at best, mind.

With the dearth of good sci-fi a Defiance season 3 is good in my book. Shame it always has to be several spins of the round-about getting there with the inevitable resulting cancellation.

First two episodes were good. Certainly a lot more going on so far than the last season.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I just realised that Makee could just be a clone.

We see Halsey dealing with Chekhov's clone in her pointlessly twee prison over and over. If ONI can mass produce them now, complete with memories, why not the Covenant?

Would even make sense for the Covenant to make multiple copies of her so their only human asset could go on multiple missions at once.

Isn't the girl just a hologram of some limited AI? I really hope we're not going down the clone pipeline because that tends to get tiring real fast and the way Halo handles AI:s is basically clones anyway.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

When does Master Chief fire the reverse pistol.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

huh posted:

Kwan is a much better character than in the first season. Less talk, more assassinating.

Always better to have a side-character with some agency than a side-character that has to be constantly rescued. I'm pleasantly surprised, even though the entire plotline could have been supplanted with a much shorter reason to go to Reach.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, of the three lines Chief is most famous for from the games, only one of them is longer that five words.

"I need a weapon."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Marsupial Ape posted:

Chief murdering Elites in his loving shirt sleeves was pretty cool. That’s what I’m tuning in for.

Yeah I was here for Master Chief manhandling an elite.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A TV-show, whether adapted from a famous property or not, will always live and die by whether it's having any fun with its premise. 12 Monkeys is in my book still the absolute wildest turn from absolute trash to legitimately interesting show from season to season. If a show has a focus or a gimmick that its actually having fun with it can always salvage itself. Halo is going action this season and I'm here for it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I still feel my main issue with the show rests in how it chooses to convey information to the viewer and what information it decides to prioritize. It makes a lot of assumptions about what the audience knows about Halo via pop culture osmosis and ends up treating certain concepts as a given when they really could use some more introduction.

I'm sorry but weren't you loreposting to hell and back when season 1 was airing.

Like the only games in the franschise I've had more than a passing interaction with is 1 and infinite. I don't get what needs elaboration in the vacuum of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Season will end on Master Chief copulating with a computer. He will have his helmet on.