Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Internaut! posted:

Biological males have no business competing athletically against biological females in any sport where the indisputable physical advantages of males is a factor, for example sprinting versus curling.

That said I don't give a gently caress about women's sports, and as a man this issue doesn't affect me in the slightest, so I'll let the broads fight their own battle on this one.

Please refrain from disowning or preemptively expressing unwillingness to defend arguments you're making, particularly ones that are stated in strong terms like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Internaut! posted:

Don't forget muscle mass to go along with that huge skeleton.

As Mischievous Mink said to you, muscle mass decreases when you lower testosterone, which is a requirement for trans athletes in women's sports. Do you dispute that assertion?

Internaut! posted:

After all the only reason anyone's even talking about MTF trans women playing women's sports is that we're seeing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again how absolutely middling male athletes transition as fully grown adults, and then utterly dominate women's sport.

It sounds like you have many examples. Could you provide at least nine, since that was how many times you said "over"?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
As a reminder, even when engaging with fraught topics or arguments that seem self-evidently wrong, rules of rigor and good argumentation still apply.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Borscht posted:

Nah. Couldn't give a poo poo about sports.
I like science though.

How many trans women compete?

Please don't answer questions with questions, and be careful to only make assertions you are willing to support or concede.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Aginor posted:

Can I ask how many of you are trans or transitioning? Just so I can get a read of the room?

In general, one should refrain from asking personal questions of others in D&D, because it can be seen as attempting to dismiss their arguments based on who they are rather than the quality and evidence of what they're saying. The only exception is when they're talking about their own personal experience to support what they're saying.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

I've read this entire thread, and noticed a similar pattern to when I have this discussion on social media:

People make broad claims about the unfairness of transgender people, say their opinion is "science", and then refuse to back them up and declare that someone is ridiculous for even doubting them.

Then as they continue to participate in debate, yet refuse to back up anything, people who respond to them escalate their replies to continued unsupported transphobia.

Is that the kind of discussion pattern the moderation staff would like to foster on this subject?

The only data, links, resources and citations that have been posted in this thread have been on one side of the debate. Otherwise we have a rotating group of posters who kramer in, make some claims, and then bail when asked to provide data while the posters who are on version 3 or 4 of that same poster are getting increasingly upset at the lack of rigor.

I would not like to foster that, which is why if someone refuses to provide evidence when challenged with counter-evidence, they'll be probed for bad faith. I've also thought about instituting a rule where controversial statements of fact need to be backed up in the same post in threads where it's called for, but that does preclude discussion that comes from refuting common unsupported statements. So there is some trade-off. The rule would also apply to everyone equally, of course.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

ram dass in hell posted:

That's cool! Thank you. What about poo poo like this:

That user is being banned for that.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Please refrain from further posting about posters. If this person is someone who shouldn't be here, we'll handle it.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

some plague rats posted:

How many chances is this guy going to be given?

That was the last one before a significant probe. Wanted to give him the opportunity to address all the counterarguments and my own questions or concede his position, and he blew it. Would have done something sooner but he posted right after I left last night.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Sedisp posted:

His first post is just blatant transphobia.

lol

Yes. As a reminder, positions aren't moderated in D&D. Posters are allowed to assert wrong or odious arguments, because correcting them can be educational, and for other practical reasons. You're also not normally required to be rigorous when putting an idea forth initially, only if you refuse to concede it, because this allows for speculation, questions, and readers being able to see sophisticated replies to common talking points that they might not normally.

Figuring out whether a poor argument should be allowed because it might lead to better discussion is as much an art as a science though, and I probably gave Internaut too many chances.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Sedisp posted:

Transphobia isn't an argument though?

Like can you explain that? Does it apply to other non positions like racism or homophobia?

His first post was making an argument. Arguments can be poorly structured, wrong, emotionally driven, and harmful to society, because an argument is just an assertion meant to persuade. I'm not sure what you mean by non-positions, but bigotry in general is covered by the rule, yes.

I'd like the thread to return to the topic at hand now that Internaut has been probed, so please direct further feedback to me via PMs, or wait until the feedback thread later this month.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

koos you realize how unsatisfying of a response this is, right? the guy was spewing open bigotry and you loving give him a single day probe? I'm not even talking about giving him an initial chance, the fact that he immediately doubled down into outright transphobia is reprehensible, and giving him a single day off is horseshit.

A single day is the most a mod can give without queueing. I'm also giving him a longer probe with a note that he's threadbanned.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

This is the problem koos. Everyone knew this was coming, they could see it from their first post. Instead the OP was given the opportunity to repeat things that are both untrue and hateful. And in the interim, a completely separate transphobe was given the opportunity to do the same thing AND start harassing people. I get that you don't want to have to moderate positions, but there absolutely needs to be an exception for bigotry, no matter how politely and reasonably it's worded.

Aginor wasn't given any particular opportunity. I probed him as soon as I saw what he was doing, and while he was on probation he was banned for harassment minutes after the admins knew that was occurring. How things happened wouldn't have been any different with stricter policies.

As for making exceptions to the moderating positions rule, I understand why some might want that, but I have quite strong reasons why I think it should be adhered to absolutely. I'll post my rationale in the next feedback thread, or if you'd like it sooner than that I can PM it to you.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Sharkie posted:

This isn't true. Certain debates like "do trans people deserve human rights" are allowed to exist. Other debates are not.

I'm curious what you're referring to, in terms of which debates aren't allowed to exist.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Hypothetically, could someone make a post arguing that the cranial capacity of black people made them suited for a life of servitude, as long as it was well reasoned and cited scholarly work? Would posters be expected to engage with them in good faith or choose to ignore them? Where is the line drawn if at all? The posts about trans people having HUGE SKELETONS that make them able to dominate sports aren't that much different.

Someone could make a post like that, yes, and I think the debunking that would follow would be valuable, particularly as pseudoscientific racism has been on the rise in the last decade on the internet. Then if they repeated their claims without rigorously addressing the arguments made against them, which presumably they could not, they would be punished for bad faith.

Nucleic Acids posted:

If someone were to, say, argue that Caster Semenya’s higher than average rate of testosterone production meant she should be excluded from women’s events, or even further that her medals should be taken back, would that be allowed to exist?

Yes. You could then rebut with what problems that view has, of which there seem to be many.

ram dass in hell posted:

I mean, do we really want to cultivate an environment where bigots feel like they aren't allowed to pop off with random unsupported dehumanizing bullshit targeting specific people they consider to be inferior? Stifling, if you ask me, a serious person.

To clarify so this isn't just a sarcastic jab, Koos, the reason you are getting the reaction you are itt is that there is no such thing as impartiality when it comes to bigotry. You're intentionally cultivating a safe space for people to make disgusting unfounded attacks. It's not an accident that this keeps happening. It's a direct foreseeable consequence of how you are choosing to run things. People are still being nice and extending to you quite a bit of benefit of the doubt, but I don't think that will last long unless you come to your senses. This is a very bad policy and has already had very bad results in terms of the space you're allowing and who you're allowing it for. It will get worse. Again, this is a direct foreseeable consequence of your choices. It won't be long before people turn from assuming this is a problem you're trying to solve, to assuming this is what you want, because trans people, at best, don't matter to you.

Thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt. To begin, I would point out that personal attacks against posters are forbidden, and that goes doubly so for ones based on their race, sexuality, etc. If someone called you a slur in D&D, they would be getting more than the customary slap for rudeness to fellows. I don't believe my policy has had profoundly bad results yet, bearing in mind that what happened with Aginor would have played out almost exactly the same whether the policy were your preferred way or mine.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

ram dass in hell posted:

It has, though, you just don't perceive them to be profoundly bad, for some reason. And the rest is a hypothetical, you're assuming that the issue of bigots piling in with personal attacks is a force of nature like the weather rather than taking responsibility for the environment that you have authority over. We don't know what happened with Aginor or Internaut! would have played out exactly the same, that's your assumption. I think more highly of you than you seem to think of yourself - I still believe you can do better, while you seem to think this is how things must always be.

I believe I see what you mean that a clearly indicated and forceful policy of the kind you're advocating may have deterred Aginor from even posting. That didn't occur to me. I just meant that once he had posted, it would have been handled the same under both.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Let's play it out:

"Black minds are feeble, and incapable of actual thought."

"Well, actually, I don't agree with that, because there's no evidence of that. [Cites here]. This actually evidence of an attitude present in racism. [Cites here]. What's your evidence."

"I never said that. Blacks are inferior though, lol."

This is what happens when you argue with bigots. They are there to spew hatred. They don't care about "debate" other than a means to spew that hate.

And that is what EXACTLY happened earlier with the transphobe post, to the loving letter.

What are you doing Koos?

Under my policy, the racist poster would be punished harshly for the third post, as it's a blatant demonstration of bad faith. The exchange would also affect his forums reputation and probably lead to him being shunned from the community as a whole. In addition, the second post would demonstrate to readers how they might argue against similar racist ideas in the wild, or at least bolster them against being susceptible to those ideas. That's a general overview of the policy's intent.

I've meant to point out that this policy has been in effect the entire time I've been moderating D&D, was advertised from the beginning, and has generally worked quite well. The forum has not been overrun by those with odious views or trolls, with Internaut being a single exception that should have more highly scrutinized because of the sensitivity of the subject.

Permaban queued.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Shageletic posted:

So people have three posts to say derogatory things about minorities? Clearly untrue sibboleths that have been debunked over and over again. I'm trying to drop all pretenses of sarcasm and humor here just to connect to you as another person. As Timeless Appeal said, are we going to have to deal with basic horse bullshit over and over?

I think you need to drop the pretense that these forums and DnD (which I have been posting in since I registered, 2007) is an impersonal void bereft of all context other than the pure rational glint of one's own arguments. Dnd, and every sub-forum of SA, is a community. A community that sets standards. A community that polices itself. A community that seeks to foster an environment of tolerance and fun, with the two being absolutely interlinked.

I hate to pull this card, but I'm not trans, but I am a black man. And if I had to be present in a community where people can denigrate me at will based on my race until I made the effort to argue for the worth of my own person, then its no community I want to be a part of. And that is exactly why I am outraged on my behalf of my trans friends at what is happening here. This is a bad road man.

Examine what you're trying to do here. What the likely result is. What it says. What it allows. Please, honestly, I'm asking.

Well, if the response is this strong I don't have a choice but to reexamine the policy, since I'm a believer in listening to community feedback. And discouraging people from posting in D&D because of who they are, or having tiresome arguments that are played out as you say the examples would be, are the opposite of what I want.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

The pituitary gland and hormones do exist and are not biotruths. Part of transitioning is changing those hormones in your body and we're talking one of the situations where it will actually matter and those sports are figuring out ways to figure out those divisions.

Proposing ideas where punching power or other factors were measured and used to build divisions would be interesting and actual solutions to what you want but you're just showing that you're ignorant of the sport.

Punching power seems as though it would be impossible to measure, since it would be up to the athletes to demonstrate it and they would of course pull their punches to qualify for a lower class.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Just Chamber posted:

So trans woman is ok? Example sentence: "Trans women but not cis women" would be ok terminology?

Yes, I believe trans woman is preferred over transwoman because the person is still a woman and trans is only a modifier.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Miss Broccoli, please remember that we have a rule of assuming good faith, and this includes the assumption that other posters aren't hiding their views. This is both to create an environment of trust, and because the deep personal feelings of pseudonymous SA posters are not a subject with broad applicability in the world. If you have strong reason to believe someone is acting in bad faith, to the point where you don't feel comfortable or productive engaging them, you can report them.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Miss Broccoli posted:

A woman is a human being whose gender identity matches the social and culturally constructed identity of woman. We are a social species and fit ourselves into social groups. If that is not concrete enough for you I challenge you to do something far more simple and define a chair in a way that captures every single chair to the exclusion of all non chair objects.

This is a stupid tediuous game of verbal cat and mouse. Are you a transphobe. Are transgender women women. Why can you not answer that question. The question is not meaningless and if you think it is you need to explain in clear terms why it is meaningless before asking us to continue with this aimless back and forth.

If you cant answer why you think the question is meaningless, and you can't answer it, it really just leaves everyone else in the room to assume you think transgender people are their AGAB.

Koos, please exlain to me how it does not foster a hostile atmosphere to transgender individuals to entertain these discussions.

Myco appears to be treating the matter philosophically. Nothing they've said indicates any hostility toward anyone. I'm sympathetic to the posters who have pointed out that the central subject of the thread has a widely agreed-upon answer, and isn't likely to bear fruit with discussion, so I don't see anything wrong with anyone going off on tangents.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Miss Broccoli posted:

Mycophobia beleives in the blanchard typology and wrongly asserts that ist has not been debunked. Mycophobia is a rusted on hard out transphobe.

Koos will you please take this as proof that people who are not you or the mod team have a very effective 6th sense for when these people are being disengenuous shitheads? Myco is a transphobe through and through. Theres a reason they won't answer the question, they know the answer will get them probated. They are here sealioning.

I hadn't looked at their rap sheet until just now, just to have that out there.

E: Another one

This person think that trans women in particular are either gay men who become women to get more dick, or are straight men who transition to get themselves off. Is this enough yet to punish the sea lion Koos?

Mycophobia was advocating that idea because a trans woman whom he's friends with convinced him of it. It's not evidence of malice toward trans people, nor have I found any context or contradictions that would indicate he has not been posting in good faith in this thread. This is why we have the rule about reporting suspected bad faith rather than trying to call it out in threads, because it can cause discussion to turn to an individual poster instead of an interesting subject, and sows mistrust. If you would like to discuss the matter further, please PM me, or if you would like to talk about the policy in public, there will be a D&D feedback thread on Friday.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Miss Broccoli posted:

Basically all you have said Cool is that something could happen based on "preliminary" data that itself says is useless, which you conveniently ignored. From there you have gone on to build a hypothetical situation based on data that does not say what it says it means.

Post real data. Back up your hypothetical. If you can't do that then everyone saying your hypothetical is based on nothing more than your gut feeling is correct. Exlcusing us based on your gut feeling is transphobia. You are quite literally basing your segregation on your fear that your hypothetical will come true

Post it then. Provide evidence for your claims. Koos, you've said that if people can't do this its against the DnD rules. Multiple people have asked him multiple times.

Thank you for reporting them rather than accusing them in thread, at least at first. I reviewed Colonel Cool's posts, and they appear to be making the argument that the evidence suggests a possibility of an advantage, not that it confirms with certainty there is an advantage, and they have been consistent in how they treat this position as well as responsive to challenges, so I don't believe they're posting in bad faith.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

UCS Hellmaker posted:

its bad faith, and its inherently just to be an rear end in a top hat and say that trans athletes are using an advantage and its transphobic garbage. The op had it correct that this thread is a honeypot and people arguing that trans athletes inherently are cheating by using the actual medications needed to allow them to be themselves are disgusting.

This is not a both sides area of topic, this thread should be about discussing how god loving awful trans athletes are treated because of transphobia and hatred towards minorities.

Col. Cool has not argued, as far as I can see, that trans people or cheating, and beyond that has not even made the case that we know definitively that they have an advantage. If you have a case using specific posts of theirs that they're acting in bad faith, please PM it to me.

Jaxyon posted:

Actually no they haven't been responsive to challenges, they keep trying to make some studies someone else posted, that are hardly conclusive, justify their continued hypothetical that represents an almost verbatim transphobic talking point framed as a hypothetical to conform to your rules lawyering.

And because they continue to try and make that nothing be the justification for continued pestering of a hypothetical and posts that are basically devoid of meaningful content otherwise.

And your lack of moderation has caused continued pain to the targets of that hypothetical, who are forced to continue to engage with a loaded question based on nothing and escalate their tone, or they are badgered for not engaging with it.

Great work on creating a space the oppressed are constantly confronted with thinly veiled transphobic talking points and get punished if they lose their cool while they do all the emotional labor in this situation.

Reading through The Colonel's posts, they have never claimed the studies were conclusive, and this matches how they themselves treat an advantage as a possibility rather than a certainty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Sedisp posted:

Hey Koos I got a wild idea for even the bare minimum of they're not really engaging. If there is a pretty direct question asked and the just asking questions guy refuses to ever engage with a pointed challenge on their position and instead immediately ignores it to focus on "pls dont insult me" maybe they aren't actually engaging?

If you're referring to BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress, they were just probated for bad faith.