Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This was the best fuckin movie I ever saw in my whole life. I’m in awe. Transcendental. If there’s any justice people will be talking about this movie for the next 20 years. Just breathtaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
When the bald headed security guard assumes his fight stance in the final fight scene you see his big floppy wiener and it’s like “did they intend for the floppiness of the wiener to impact the severity of the fight scene or was the stuntman just hanging dong and James Kuan was like “brilliant! Use it!”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Waking up in a dreamy haze from a long nights sleep and the first thought I had waking up was “it got lost in the chaos of the ‘escape the IRS’ scene but Evelyn explaining Racacoonie and everyone, audience and characters, all having the same moment where we think Evelyn is misremembering the popular film “Ratatouille” and that subsequent payoff were nuclear-level gags that both subvert and give in to your audience expectations at once, an astonishing piece of meta-adaptive screenwriting.

Also, did anyone else not even notice it was Jamie Lee Curtis until the credits rolled? Everyone is acting their pants off in this flick but her physicality in this role was phenomenal, she was LOVING it! She disappeared into the roll, and I bet that was really her in the “and now I’m standing up straight and I’m really tall and in great shape” sequence.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
DC comics has been doing a multiverse in mainstream comics since 1985, and Star Trek even further back.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Lifepuzzler posted:

My only real gripe with EEaaO is that It fails to address, in the face of nihilistic depression, that it doesn't matter how optimistic and kind you are, that there will always be people who are so perpetually negative, troubled, and full of self-loathing that there's literally nothing you can do to help them, and if you persist, then you WILL get dragged down with them. But nobody wants to make a movie about that.

I’m pretty sure this is the whole point of Jamie Lee Curtis entire character in the film, tho. She is the miserable unloveable unreasonable wretch, and in the beginning of the film they really heighten that sense by making her seem like a crotchety inhuman monster. It’s only when Evelyn is pushed to her literal breaking point, when Evelyn has lost everything and her life is crumbling around her, that she and JLC finally CAN see eye to eye, and this is essentially what sets up the climax of the film.

Another interpretation could also be that the miserable loathsome person who drags everyone down around them is Evelyn and the film could generously be read as Evelyn realizing that she is essentially the Bagel, sucking her entire family into her own misery and relegating them to the endless cycle of pain and disappointment that her father put them on, and the climax of the film is Evelyn deciding “no, I am not an evil bagel”.

Not saying either of those things actually addresses your issue, but I think it’s definitely something the movie does try to touch on and say something about.

Edit: actually this is also just the scene where she finally tells her Father “if I’m not good enough for you that’s your problem, I’m proud of myself and my fat gay daughter!” which is pretty much what you’re talking about.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 15, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Something being a serious problem doesn’t mean you can’t explore it in a silly way or talk meaningfully about it with a silly hat on. I think this movie succeeds at being silly while taking itself seriously, and that was part of what they set out to do.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve never ended a relationship over a piece of media, but I’ve definitely had moments where you finish watching a great movie and you can tell they didn’t connect to it or WORSE you show them a special movie for you and they don’t like it or don’t get it and you can kind feel some of the polished shine come off them, like “oh… you don’t love cerebral whimsy that takes plenty of breaks for sick kung fu fights and slapstick? Maybe this wasn’t meant to be…”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I interpreted the bagel as a symbol of Westernization and the strongest example of division between an immigrant Chinese woman trying to learn to be American and raise an American daughter vs her American daughter, raised as native in this place with weak connection to her ancestral homeland (“your Chinese is getting worse”). I didn’t live in Asia for very long, but finding a good bagel in Japan, even Tokyo, honestly felt impossible. Like, I’m struggling to think of a food that could more completely represent a departure from eastern/asian lifestyle for a more Americanized diet/way of life, I think “Bagel” is most perfect example, in addition to the “void within a void” concept mentioned above.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 20, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I meant a Bagel was a symbol of Westernized food because Chinese, Japanese, and many other Asian cultures view breads as a desert or a treat, they aren’t bread cultures, a giant wheat/gluten bomb like a bagel isn’t part of their culture the same way the lovingly/irritatedly tended rice cooker is. A bagel isn’t something Joy would have grown up loving if she were a Chinese born woman, but she’s American, so a good bagel can mean everything

Gaius Marius posted:

Having an interpretation based on Joy losing touch with their culture that's based on you stripping the Bagel of it's own cultural connection and origin is ironic and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I mean, I’m Jewish, I’m not stripping away a Bagel’s cultural relevance to Jews, but also there are more Jews in Manhattan than in Tel Aviv, so if you wanted to make an argument that bagels are a mostly American food in 2022 I think you could do that. It’s like Pizza, when people think of real pizza, no one loving thinks of Italy, they think of New York.

The lunchpin of the movie being a bagel is significant but not in a way the movie outright states and it’s one of the more fun speculatory chestnuts to crack. Symbolism!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In my universe the bagel has symbolism for the cross generational divide of the immigrant experience and in your universe it’s just funny because bagels are, just, like, so random lol and it’s just, like, a silly play on words. You can’t put everything on a bagel, thatd be ridiculous!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Something that immediately struck me was the busy-yet-bored attention to the rice cooker in the opening scene, that felt real

This movie was so good that I went back and watched Crouching Tiger again and yeah, Michelle is a loving BEAST with the martial arts, so glad she got to stretch their claws!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Had a long talk with my mom about this movie and how it gave me a new understanding and appreciation for her and how even though we’re not a family of immigrant Chinese there was still a lot of overlap between the film and our poor paycheck to paycheck upbringing and how for lower class economic families you are often forced between pursuing your mental and emotional health and actually paying your bills and keeping food on the table and how just because you’re figuring out your own poo poo doesn’t mean everyone has to put up with you. She was touched and wants to watch the movie now. I’ll probably buy this movie just to own it forever so I can share it with her when it gets a wider release.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://gizmodo.com/everything-everywhere-all-at-once-will-fix-problematic-1848880772/amp

This is impossibly stupid. I can’t even begin to imagine how empty your life has to be to have this issue or care

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As a Jewish person myself it flew completely over my head as antisemitic, in part because Jenny Slate does have a big nose and partially because it’s like the most anodyne and completely harmless thing you could say about someone. I feel like bringing attention to it and trying to make it about how the filmmakers failed the Jewish community is generating racism that isn’t there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE IS AN IMMIGRANT HORROR STORY ABOUT TAX SEASON

Loving all the Asian voices contributing to this film’s ideas and ideas exploration of different parts of the immigrant experience. Really adds a lot to appreciate about the film and it’s dimensions.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The Big Nose thing felt like something straight out of my experience working at a little mom & pop Chinese business. I see the case for changing the credits though--it's one thing for a character to do something; it's another for the creators themselves to do it.

But it’s not like the screenwriter went out and called someone a Big Nose, he wrote it as a scene in a movie. The idea that you cannot represent something disrespectful or outdated without some kind of mea culpa or having one of the characters turn to the screen and explain that “Jewish people don’t all have big noses, that’s a stereotype!” just seems excessively silly to me. It’s literally OK if Evelyn is a teensy bit racist, she’s a 50 year old woman whose been working in a laundromat for her entire life, and it lines up with her also being homophobic. She’s flawed! In fact it’s a plot point that she is the shittiest version of herself across all realities!

I just think artists should be able to represent things like racism or sexism or homophobia in modern art without people taking it as some kind of tacit support for that behavior. Taking offense to the “Big Nose” line denotes a lack of media literacy on the audience’s part, IMO, not a lack of sensitivity on the Screenwriter’s part.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“You want me to change Big Nose to Dog Ninja for the streaming release? O… OK”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's also the whole thing about it being a common term for white people broadly in china, not specifically jews. I kind of agree that crediting the character as that is a different story though. Like as bad as the DNS scene in pulp fiction is, it'd be a lot worse if Phil LaMarr was credited that way instead of Marvin.

This adds some much needed context, to be honest, and now the whole thing seems even sillier and makes the original complainers seem kind of self-absorbed and solipsistic.

FWIW I think referring to an unnamed character in a movie by the only thing anyone in the movie referred to them is probably just a commonly accepted shorthand and not an insistence upon the filmmakers part that the actress needs a rhinoplasty.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Vegetable posted:

It’s really pathetic that you won’t let this go when the filmmakers had no trouble seeing the problem and immediately correcting it

As a Jewish person it really frustrates me when we try to make things that absolutely aren’t anti-Semitic about us, it makes all of us look bad and reinforces bad attitudes. This is a really great example of that, IMO, and it’s frustrating to me. Sorry my personal feelings upset you, feel free to put me on your ignore list if it continues to be a hardship

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would happily and effortlessly and repeatedly watch a 160 minute cut of this film

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
EEA@1 closing in on 40 million

Forbes discussing possible Oscar nod??

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s gonna be A24’s 3rd biggest box office movie after Hereditary and Midsommar, and it’s apparently made more than every Oscar nom made last year except for DUNE and something else! Looking good for Michele et al!

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 7, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not enough ink has been spilled over Jamie Lee Curtis’s work here, she’s just an incredible physical comedian here, and she’s acts the bejeezus out of the alternate reality where she and Evelyn are lesbians

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat I’m not one to refer to someone as radiant but is anyone on earth lovelier than Michele Yeoh this year?

https://twitter.com/thecut/status/1521266965276504064?s=21&t=8KcIyeRixqTxv5YDkzmGsQ

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The “floppy dicks out with butt plugs sticking out of my rear end” kung fu fight is maybe the single silliest thing I’ve ever seen in a movie theater. Really struggling to come up with anything that even comes close.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
EEA@1 set to become A24’s biggest movie
after this weekend it will have made more than Uncut Gems, poo poo is doing crazy good, and the word of mouth is doing excellent for the momentum!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah and they don’t pick him up from the airport, he just goes to their house, I thought he lived in America now that he is very old and in a wheelchair because Evelyn is his only family left

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Really struggling to think of another film that opened so small and hung out in theaters longer than initially intended because of the incredible reviews and word of mouth, at least recently. So happy for the cast & crew to have hit $50,000,000!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
lmao EEA@1 is ”the silliest use of IMAX in cinema history”

Interview with a cinematographer on making the biggest scenes in this film really pop

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09L2c-YjZHU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Millenials Ghost, Gen Z is too scared to talk to strangers and don’t bother starting new relationships in the first place.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Speleothing posted:

If you get divorced you probably have deeper problems than marriage.
??????

Sometimes you're just not the same person 10 years later, it doesn't have to be a personal failing to no longer want to be with the same person

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Waymond being completely right about everything is part of what makes the movie so good, IMO. A shot tier movie would’ve tried to expose his positivity as being weak or useless, in this movie it’s the only thing that works.

It’s also a great story about two people who are in love but one of them doesn’t want to try and how that’s not enough, both of you have to want to try.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’d never really heard the term “maximal film making” before I heard the director talk about this movie and how making it was basically doing the opposite of what everyone else is doing right now and it was kind of eye opening to realize that there’s this whole other style of movie making that it turns out I really enjoy and kind of prefer to minimalist filmmaking conceits but these kinds of movies seem like they would be so hard to do well. This movie reminds me more of stuff like The Lord of the Rings or MM: Fury Road, it’s just making a really loving gigantic movie with a really gigantic story and telling it in a really big way.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One of the things that really sits with me about this film is that, to me personally, everything landed. I can’t find a weak link, a bad performance, a joke that I didn’t get. It’s like Evengelion, I’m in 100% sync with this film, everyone back in the control room is like “whoa, oh my god, this movie is perfect!”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like “really good but overly long and overstayed it’s welcome and is maybe too enamored with its own creativity” were precisely the criticisms of most goons ITT.

When Jay said “maybe if I’d seen it when I was 20 it would have been my favorite movie ever” that tells you all you need to know about Jay and about his relationship to this movie (and this job, honestly).

I’m firmly in the camp of “you’re literally supposed to be exhausted and overwhelmed, that’s by design” but they both said that they liked it and would recommend it to most people, that’s about as good as it gets, there’s maybe 5-6 movies on their whole channel where all of the boys LOVE something

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This movie really did fill in the giant hole left by The Matrix 4 and what a weird disappointment it ended up being to many fans

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Watched a fun clip on YouTube where the director refers to the first fight scene as a “training wheels” sequence that essentially teaches the audience how to watch the movie and I think that’s an awesome way of looking at your own films and thinking about your audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2k3esJHFuE

Edit: …and they’ve cleared $100,000,000 at the BO, this is A24’s biggest movie!!! Cinema is saved!!!

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 1, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I appreciate someone being so out of touch with modern discourse that they literally don’t see the parallel here, it would be almost refreshing if it weren’t so stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Regardless of what you actually think of the script or execution, people are talking about it because it’s the most interesting movie that came out in quite a while. I won’t be surprised if we see it’s inspirations slowly leak out over the next decade