Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

30.5 Days posted:

What he gently caress kind of house was selling for 10k in 1999

My guess is that this was an empty lot on the periphery and now it is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Ohh yeah, when I lived in Italy, COL was trivial and I was paying too much as a dumb American, too. I showed up at the hospital with a minor emergency, an apparently fake healthcare card provided by the company I was working for, and no idea what was going on and they still treated me, uninsured, for 45 euro. The pills I needed afterwards were 6 euro. If you have no reason to stay where you are and can get work in Italy, it has its virtues. You might have to be white, though.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I have a coworker around my age who loves to talk about the junkies in Seattle. He lives in a nice Kent suburb and he doesn't really leave.

Anyways check this out lmfao

This kinda stuff drives me nuts. If everything goes to plan, there will be improved infrastructure when I'm 70. Why do I care? We need to make up for the 20-30 years of infrastructure that wasn't built already and we have to do it now. Get those bulldozers out!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

WaryWarren posted:

This has been a divisive issue in Chicago. Property values go down. :qq:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/0...ity-land-trust/

What if RV parks, but for everyone? I cannot wait to get to the point where America is like Victorian England with landowners collecting rents from paupers. Well, even more like it.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Boy howdy, that creative destruction sure is great when it is coming for other people's incomes and not my own.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Doin' heroin like most of Indiana: in a tree.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Ammanas posted:

my favorite was checking 3 homes and seeing the same family at each one - at the last one overheard them telling their agent 'stop showing us these ghetto dumps we have 2 young children' and the agent apologizing 'but this is your price range'

<3 sacramento

Seems like those people could probably find housing more to their liking if they weren't poor.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, inspectors can be incompetent or biased but how is that not caught either by them, your realtor, or in the final walkthrough? No one opened up the fridge or turned on the stove?

"Utilities are shut off, sorry."

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Home prices are on the way down in the 20 largest markets.

https://press.spglobal.com/2022-10-25-S-P-CORELOGIC-CASE-SHILLER-INDEX-CONTINUED-TO-DECELERATE-IN-AUGUST

quote:

MONTH-OVER-MONTH

Before seasonal adjustment, the U.S. National Index posted a -1.1% month-over-month decrease in August, while the 10-City and 20-City Composites both posted decreases of -1.6%.

After seasonal adjustment, the U.S. National Index posted a month-over-month decrease of -0.9%, and the 10-City and 20-City Composites both posted decreases of -1.3%.

In August, all 20 cities reported declines before and after seasonal adjustments.

Please keep raising interest rates and slowing/stoping QE, Jpow.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

IIRC that's a change in the rate of increase, not an actual decrease in prices. they're still up 12% YoY on a national level.

The YoY numbers still include the spring buying frenzy, that is why I said "on the way down." That frenzy will leave the YoY dataset and the YoY number will go negative unless the prophecies of the pivot come true, then who knows. If you bought a house in, say, June 2022 in one of these markets, on average you have actually lost money.

bawfuls posted:

yeah we aren’t getting real price drops without significantly more supply. High rates make builders slow down since it’s more expensive to finance their work, making the supply issue worse.

This only depends on your definition of "real price drops." I'm not saying -2 or 3% is good enough. I'll take -40%, please. But prices are down from the peak already.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

I thought house prices were supposed to start dropping due to interest rates, any minute now

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1531-Westfield-St_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M35753-59897

Housing is basically illiquid as far as I can tell. I keep seeing that no buyers are showing up. Maybe that means only institutional buyers are buying things, but you have to include time on market with price plots.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
I think I overplayed my hand on that comment. Housing in SF is down 3.4% since last year and sitting on the market nearly 2x longer this year as compared to last, but these last two years have been so wild.

https://www.redfin.com/city/17151/CA/San-Francisco/housing-market

The Fed says the country wide market is slowing down, but the seasonal change is happening at the same time. I suppose we’ll have to wait to see if it comes down again in the spring.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEDDAYONMARUS

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

actionjackson posted:

that's supposed to be a bloodborne ref btw

that table has definitely been used for bloodletting

Explaining the jokes is probably why this thread keeps getting 1s.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Somebody moved into a house about 200m from me and installed an anti-loitering ultrasonic pinger that's attached to a motion detector. Now whenever I walk down the sidewalk to get to the trail I get to have a headache lmfao

It's like 100+db of 20Khz sound, I'm old as poo poo and I can easily hear it its madness. Humans are such dogshit.

This can’t be legal.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Well what am I going to do call the cops and tattle on them? I'll just avoid walking on that block I'm probably safer that way since the people that live there are psychopaths and probably serial killers.

If you carried a gun, you would be able to defend yourself from robots.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

I know that density is good, especially in a place like l.a., but a teardown for a home like this to be replaced by only a duplex should be a crime.

https://twitter.com/esotouric/status/1611568549524299777

I don't like historical preservation laws. Like environmental protection laws, they have been weaponized by bad faith NIMBYs to prevent building more housing. I think that all historical preservation laws should be scrapped and environmental protection laws should be dramatically curtailed. If you don't want housing replacing old buildings or wetlands, allow it in your neighborhood. (You does not actually refer to Willa in this case.)

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

Speaking of short term rentals, you guys reminded me of this local'ish gem:

Summit County second-home owners report struggles if their properties aren’t paid for by short-term renters]

he just wants to achieve his dream of being a landlord :qq:

These laws were supposed to keep out other people, not me!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

bawfuls posted:

edit: obviously the other alternative is massive new construction but that never seems to be the focus of this thread compared to rooting for a crash

The Fed isn't out there saying it wants to build more houses, it is saying wants to combat inflation and that has led to terrible economic situations in the past. No one in this thread is looking for JPow to play their rusty trombone either, because that isn't going to happen.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

it's fine tbh, just would be cool to be able to buy a home is all.

If it is any consolation, your lifetime of service will make the rich slightly richer. Maybe your remains will power someone's car, too. Who knows?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

I mean, yeah, that eventually happens when existence becomes too painful for the masses. Fortunately, I’m already in my forties, so hopefully I’ll be dead in my employer’s boneyard before that happens.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

So there doesnt appear to be ....any counter space?

It is a 1 bed. You, the single occupant of that apartment, are supposed to be eating out, not at home like some loser.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

um excuse me but i need my home to keep appreciating in value otherwise i cant continue using my heloc to make the margin calls on my 10x levered nft calls

It isn't just dumb people YOLO'ing money into scams. The appreciation of housing prices is an article of faith. You're supposed to buy a starter home you can barely afford as young as possible so that you can ride that appreciation up for 5-10 years and then use that money to purchase another house when you want to/accidentally have kids. Before someone comes in to say "but purchasing is forced savings," 86% of the money homeowners accumulate in the first 10 years comes from price appreciation. The housing market simply does not function as most people expect without large, fast appreciation.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

WaryWarren posted:

My union (local gov't) just announced our new three year contract.

January cost of living increases:
2023 - 3%
2024 -2.75%
2025 -2.25%

I know people who work in gov't in other parts of the US, and they got 8% COLA (not including any merit increase) this year and probably for the foreseeable future too. Someone in suburban King County told me two out of their four health care plan options cost $0/month for a single or couple. Also, our contribution to medical insurance went up 20%. :fuckoff:

Ahhh, there is that soft landing we were promised.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Lower teaser rates for housing are back, apparently.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/some-home-builders-are-offering-mortgage-rates-as-low-as-3-heres-how-and-why-theyre-doing-it-11674145343

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

PyPy posted:

housing pls

You haven’t created enough value. Back into the mines with you.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Rents never stopped going up around here, the standard house in this neighborhood is a 3br/1ba ~1400sf house built 1900-1930 or so and those are up over $1700/mo now. Standard pre-pandemic was maybe $1200 a month if the place was remodeled.

The only time I have seen rents stop going up (not go down) was the first few months of the pandemic. About 6 months ago I saw a UC Davis law professor who was aghast that his survey found that most Californians do not believe that a sudden 10% increase in units will cause rents to drop. I’m not sure what scenario could be posted to make me think rents would go down short of executing landlords for not lowering the rent.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

thinking about affordable housing

namaste

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

you're being evicted so we can raise the rent, you can't stay

the light in me bows to the light in you

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Ammanas posted:

youre right, for traditional financial guidance of no more than 30% income going to housing you'd need around 8900/month for that loan assuming you put 20% down

also that home i toured went to pending sale 4 days after it listed. absolutely nothing has changed in the norcal housing market since jpowell started loving the working class and it wont change if he fucks us further

For example, Santa Clara County has supposedly seen a ~25% drop in the median house price since the peak in Q2 2022. A friend of mine who regularly scrapes RedFin hasn't seen any real price drop in the places where the jobs are. It is possible that listings in Mountain View (for example) are going for tens of percent under asking, but I doubt it. We suspect that bedroom communities in Gilroy and in the mountains are getting hit by price drops (from the peak) because the most desperate buyers those locations target have decided to wait out whatever this is. If you were planning to live in Tracy, now might not be such a bad time to buy, I have no idea, but the only change I have seen is that the parabolic price increases have stopped and most people are happy to buy/sell at current prices.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

so australia has a huge housing investment culture. i think i did the math before, the average australian homeowner owns two homes.

right now rental vacancies are like 1% or 2%. prices are 'declining' but that's on almost no stock coming to market, there's certainly not a panic rush to sell.

but just recently some of the weaker investment hands are getting shaken out - i've seen a lot more smaller units/apartments coming on the market for reduced prices.

great, i though, maybe a chance to escape rental price jack hell and buy something extremely modest finally. rates are higher than they have been, but i'm going in with open eyes.

the problem is that these are getting immediately snapped up by richer investors at auction. went to an inspection on saturday and it was 95% grey hair. overheard one old guy talking to the agent, started out with "so we'd like to buy this place as an investment in our daughter's name..." i'm sure there's some convoluted tax dodge reason for that. or they're just collecting dwellings like they're funkopops.

anyway it's completely hosed and now it's just the very rich hoovering up the investments of the bandwagon investors, further consolidating ownership among fewer and fewer while doing jack poo poo for affordability, new dwelling supply, or rent reductions.

jack up mortgage rates to 15% and kill everyone instantly.

The good news is that you can be an eye witness during the citizen’s trials and can help distribute those properties to people who want to live there.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Joementum posted:

*showing my architect a picture of Groverhaus and a picture of a concentration camp*

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Don’t know if they’d be allowed to do that there or not. My city straight up only allows that in specific zones. It’s kind of a pocket community outside a larger city. San Francisco could just be the Wild West though, I’m not up on their rules.

Building housing in SF is de facto not allowed. That sounds insane, but if you start from that, you’ll be correct about the vast majority of specific questions.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Stuff like this is why I’m glad I live in SFH

I dunno. I've seen people go to war over fences and stuff. I think the real lesson of that story is don't be a dick to renters.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Greg12 posted:

But there's a building boom. One time I saw a crane!!!! And I saw an apartment building where the lights weren't on in some units; there's a vacancy crisis!

One of the weirdest things about homeowners is that they seem to leave the real world after buying and the longer it has been since they interacted with the housing market the more detached they are. Just absolutely no idea what is going on and they like it that way.

Just to give an example, if they bought a place 10-20 years ago it just doesn't make sense to them that someone doing the job they had back then can't buy a house today. All sorts of nonsense pours out of their mouth like "it was tight but we did it," "you'll get raises and it will get easier," and "you aren't looking in the right places, a house just sold near me." It does not occur to them that their experience was localized in time and it can't be replicated today.

VVVV Yeah, that might be it.

MickeyFinn has issued a correction as of 21:32 on Feb 4, 2023

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

and still can't afford kids

I hope they have willing parents nearby. As soon as the $1k+ bills for child care start coming in, they are going to realize how hosed they really are.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

To own a house instead of a "townhouse".

What? They want to buy a townhouse instead of renting one.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

But inflation isn't that bad* !!

* If you don't count trivialities such as food, housing and energy

Here in Auckland I know and talk to a lot of young engineers with good highly skilled jobs and barring getting an extremely well-paid management position somewhere nobody under about 30 to 35 will ever be able to afford a house or apartment in this city on their own salary (even as DINKs).

If you exclude the exurbs that are a >1 hour drive from the city in peak hour traffic the average house price is ~$1.2M NZD ($760k USD) while median household income is ~$105k NZD ($66k USD) for a price to income ratio of around 11.5. It was actually kinda hard to find the median household income because newspapers and the government love to quote the average value, which is obviously significantly higher due to wealth disparity.

Have you considered how great this situation makes current homeowners who purchased a long time ago feel, though? When they get old and their children, who live 2+ hours away, can't take care of them and they live in their own filth due to in-home care being way too expensive, because the workers are paying way too much for rent, you can bet they are going to come for your paycheck to keep their quality of life high.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

I'm mixed about this, the olds who can't afford in-home care and who's kids can't afford to live nearby aren't really members of the owning class despite owning a house and probably have a lot less responsibility for the state of things than the real capitalists who will never feel any negative effects from housing unaffordability. I guess the real problem is that every level of society is a pyramid scam (including healthcare during retirement always requiring a larger number of workers to pay for it) so as always you can trace the root cause back to capitalism, specifically the requirement for endless growth and expansion in an inherently limited system.

On the one hand, I agree with you. On the other, at least here in California, these homeowners are literally blocking the construction of more housing because they are afraid it will reduce the value of their homes or change the character of their neighborhoods. They have also constitutionally mandated that taxes to pay for the infrastructure they use does not come from increasing their property taxes. I can't muster a lot of sympathy for them as a group even though I'm sure there are people in there that I would define as more victim than perpetrator.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

What's the argument to be made for property taxes at all on your primary residence? Obviously the government needs to raise tax revenue to pay for things, but that seems like it would be more fairly derived from income, capital gains and corporate tax? And obviously you want to discourage people buying a ton of houses and just squatting on them, but I don't see how you couldn't completely waive taxes on the property that you live in?

Seems weird to tax people basically just for existing, at least income tax is only applied if you actually earn money, property tax is like a constant money syphon for as long as you're alive which as pointed out is problematic when you get old and can't work anymore.

Housing uses resources. Roads, water lines, sewer lines, and power lines need to be maintained, replaced and repaired. Police departments and fire departments want to be funded, too. People want schools to send their kids to. Property taxes are supposed to support those things. There are a lot of issues with property taxes, including that they are too low (see Strong Towns), but they do raise revenue locally.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Nitevision posted:

Can you guys read some Henry George. Meemaw in the house she bought for $50 and is now worth $3m has reaped an enormous windfall from the productivity of her community and it's unethical for her to monopolize the value that she didn't create. Which is why we have to kill her.

Do you have a specific book/whatever to recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

how do I get housing

In Illinois, you can keep housing if you can overpower the current owners. Maybe try there?