Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

If houses go way down in value due to less demand because mortgage rates go up, there'll still be affordability problems b/c now you're looking at 7, 8, 9% interest rates to buy even less house (in terms of sq ft) than you could when rates were at ~2.5% at the bottom.

Like, clearly there was an appetite (either from yuppie pmc types or blackrocks) for mortgages even at these crazy price points, you can probably predict the "bottom" for housing prices by just take the average monthly all-in price at the peak (like 1600/mo at 2.5-3%) and plug in 7% or whatever to find what the new median is.

Am I off-base here? This seems to make sense in my mind anyway, I wouldn't expect you to magically be able to lock in a 30-year at like 4 or 500/mo if the market crashes and even if you could at that price it means blackrock gets 4 houses for the price of one now.

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Apr 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

shrike82 posted:

if interest rates get to a point where mortgages are 7% and higher, it’s not just about housing and wide swathes of the economy that rely on the money printer are going to implode

the current bump in mortgage rates is just from the Fed prepping markets for a 0.5% interest rate hike in July

Weren't 30-year fixed rates like 15%+ in the 80s/90s?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Dear lord that kitchen looks miserable to use, love to walk ten feet to wash my hands after cutting/handling raw meat near the stove

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Speak for yourself, I'm a computer toucher who makes five figures

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Posting PII online to pwn my posting enemies

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Nice and hot piss posted:

I feel like contractors would just give him a stupid high bid for said stupid project. If they accept then welp, guess I'm putting carpet in a kitchen and taking the rest of this month off

I imagine the feeling is similar to the defense secretary getting the order to drop the nukes

Sir.... are u absolutely positive this is what you want???? God save our souls *begins laying carpet around the toilet*

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

why would you possible want or need more than one room? hell why even have more than oen door in your dwelling, if you are paying "average rent for an average place" youre a rich rear end in a top hat who should stfu!!!!

*is a single man with no kids, no pets, no hobbies, all they need is a large glowing rectangle and a mattress*

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Peanut President posted:

hmm red state that isn't having a huge boom in dipshit yankees....gonna go with Kansas

Lol, my parents 70k in 1994 house is now 250k in kansas

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Saw some article about a company 3d printing an entire neighborhood in Houston? I think it was. They're taking reservations for sales in 2023/2024, starting price: $400,000

wtf is the point of 3d printed homes when an 800 sq ft shitbox costs a fortune (real answer: the cost savings are passed onto the construction company, not the buyer)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

im not one to criticize people for being unable to afford nice stuff but man, like, a lovely metal bedframe is cheap on amazon and lovely vinyl blinds are like twenty dollars if that at home depot

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

love the "home renos" where they install a single high-end fixture/bath/shower or something and do nothing else. Fancy clawfoot tub next to a contractor-grade sink from the 90's, brand-new kitchen with composite flooring with a hard transition to beige carpet and grandma couches

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

oh boo hoo they only make 120k a year

its not 1995 anymore grandpa

cool country though where you can make like seven grand takehome a month and instead of living large with a grill and a pool you get the privilege of being able to live in some lovely townhouse from the 70's and get two thousand left over to spend on $10 a dozen eggs

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Feb 7, 2023

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

when your house burns down and insurance builds you a replacement do they, like, build a 1:1 copy of the house following the style of the neighborhood or do they throw up whatever vinyl siding and fake composite flooring the contractors are puking out these days, and do they build a new house with the same square footage, or as big (or small) of a house as they can build for the dollar value of the policy?

Would suck to live in one of those gorgeous craftsmen style homes with hand carved adornments and stained glass accents in the windows, have it burn down, and get some disgusting mcmansion "garage in front with house attached behind" replacement

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

In the dark future of America, ALL rentals are short term rentals. Your lease is week by week, $500/wk to be paid every Monday

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

i'm pretty sure this is actually how rent is or was done in the UK?

Surely they still sign yearlong leases though?

There was a time in my life where a month-to-month lease that wasn't way more expensive per month than a year lease would have been nice (working only a few months in a different state) but I'd probably say turning everyone's renting situation into a rolling airbnb would probably be worse. The short-term rental situation for folks who actually need short-term rentals is pretty dire, I lived out of a hotel for 2 months which sucked and was way more expensive than it ought to have been (still cheaper than every other option though).

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

https://news.yahoo.com/average-rent-london-extreme-553-per-week-092213427.html

not sure about the yearly lease thing, but back in the day if you rented you had a coin-operated power meter. It'd run up to whatever you put in, like a laundromat dryer. If you wanted more power you had to go outside and plunk some cash in. What a hosed up country.

that sounds like something you'd do living in a blade runner pod apartment

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

i imagine having two walls and an alley between houses does wonders for not annoying each other with loud music or house parties or barking dogs, seems like a fine tradeoff imo

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

RadiRoot posted:

my boomer dad is sad because he couldn’t buy a 8x15” plot of land for $20000 in time and now has to deal with someone that wants to use it as a boat launch and they’re suing each other because he claims the property is land locked and access to the water is trespassing by a couple feet. gently caress property owners. he wonders why I barely talk to him.

easy solution here that doesnt involve setting foot outside the plot and that guy can still call it a "boat launch"

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

IME a house built in the 60's (provided it was updated and isn't running ancient furnace/electrical) aren't too bad on maintenance because everything that could go wrong already has and they're made with rock solid materials. Meanwhile stick built mcmansions have a billion corners cut that fail first inspection and start cracking apart as they settle

My biggest complaint on old houses are the weird bathroom layouts and lack of closet space since apparently people back then only wore three outfits and two pairs of shoes

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

i can smell the mothball grandma cigarette wood through the monitor

and the semi trucks driving 20 ft from your window and the gas station that surely is across the street

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

pwned myself, house has been humid and miserable the past week and, after crawling around in the attic fixing ductwork and spraying expanding foam in every wall/roof hole that cable guys have drilled since the 60's and weather sealing the attic hatch, i broke down and bought a dehumidifier so we can finally sleep at night

turns out a window had been cracked open the whole time behind the blinds leaking jungle air into the house for weeks. immediately fixed the humidity (or significantly mitigated it at least). somehow no bats came in though thankfully

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

when people talk about "maybe we dont need to ship hundreds of thousands of tons of injection molded plastic across the ocean to fill up dollar generals with" theyre talking about this person's sense of interior decorating

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Failson posted:

Just lol that tiny homes are over $100K now.

Related but separate from the shoebox shacks built decades ago, it's insane that you can go to any prefab home website where you can buy some 1,000 sq ft house where all components come preassembled from a factory and you basically build it like legos after pouring a slab and think "aw gee these look nice, and they're small, maybe I can afford it!" and then you see "floor plans starting at $400,000, only available in California"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I live in a normal house, not a cave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5yOvsl0ftQ