Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Kreeblah posted:

*phone rings*

*dummy me, expecting it to be the call from the doctor I was expecting*: "Hello?"

"Hi, I'm Joe Schmoe from rear end in a top hat Realty. Is this Kreeblah?"

"Yes it is, and I'm not interested in selling."

*line goes dead*

I used to get texts and calls asking if I was interested in selling my house, but they were calling me by my stepdad's name and trying to offer to buy my parents house lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

yeah. a lot of the “affordable” cities on that list have seen single family houses go from the mid 100s to 300k in the past decade. its really the last gasp of housing affordability anywhere before even those prices enter the stratosphere

:hmmyes: livin the dream :hmmyes:

yeah KC is #10 on that affordability list and my house (which I bought for $130k) is worth $220k. If my dad hadn't died I wouldn't have been able to afford a house ever lol lmao

also this is 2 bed 1 bath house, about 900 sq ft, no basement.

the back porch looks nice now though

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

vyelkin posted:

let me tell you about my starter home that i bought so i could get on the property ladder

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

i am harry posted:

clicked that and then under it was this

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/IlhZ60H

lmao what the fuuuuuck

lmao jesus

I had to pay a shitload of money to get my house's foundation repaired. although mine wasn't this bad, basically the whole house was sits on an I-beam sitting on concrete and rock pillars. the pillar was starting to fail and the I beam was starting to twist which apparently is bad. so I had to have a company come in and pour new pillars and basically attach the house to the bedrock about 25 ft down. if the ground starts to settle below the house they can just jack the house up.

homonership sucks lol

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
every winter i bring up getting a hot tub to my fiancee and every year she (correctly) says "no you dumbass"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Elephanthead posted:

but where are you gonna smoke weed in a snow storm?

thaank yoou!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

19 o'clock posted:

dude if they forgive student debt that’ll be the ultimate own against me. i worked weekends for years to get ahead and pay that poo poo off so I could save for a house.

loll

lmaoo

I should have just borrowed for a house and deferred my loans. even if there is no student debt relief I would have been way ahead. bootstraps are for suckers.

mod edit: removed some personal information

good news is that they're not going to cancel loans so you don't have to kill yourself

Somebody has issued a correction as of 17:09 on Apr 27, 2022

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lumpentroll posted:

what the gently caress happened lmao

cspam

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

bawfuls posted:

a palate cleanser for the thread: crypto-mortgage backed securities!

https://twitter.com/jeannasmialek/status/1519374353049210880

:yeshaha:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
nearby town banned roommates lol

https://twitter.com/birkmurkrow/status/1519796317379305478

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

joe football posted:

I like how they couldn't get anyone to give a quote in support of this ordinance or whatever that passed unanimously

it's johnson county (kansas city suburban hell), I don't live in Shawnee but I live really close to it. it's 100% due to property values. people out here love their signs that say "we believe in science and no person is illegal" or "hate is not welcome here" but get really mad if you suggest building affordable housing or multifamily homes because it's bad for property values (which have gone up 25% in the past year).

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

i say swears online posted:

overland park is the worst town in america and it's not even close

IDK if OP is worse than any of the other suburbs like Olathe or Lenexa but yeah it sucks. it's 100% strip malls and stroads. it sucks.

I can't wait to get out of this poo poo hole state

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

college campuses have walkable urban design with plenty of public social space and non-car-based transit available

yeah I used to live right off campus, so I could walk to class and a couple of the bars. I'd regularly see people I had classes with and talk with them over a few drinks. There's nothing like that here in the suburbs.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

AnimeIsTrash posted:

you can also brag about your house renovations here

i put a new toilet seat on my toilet so it doesn't make a loud bang when the seat comes down

lowes had one with LED lights so I could poo poo fast and furious but it was like $30 lol

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

boo boo bear posted:

one of my grandmas used to have carpeted floor in her bathroom. absolutely terrifying experience.

the house I grew up in had a carpeted bathroom in the master bath.

actually I think all of the bathrooms were carpeted, although they redid the one by my bedroom when I was in high school for obvious reasons.

the house was built in the 80s lmao

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

my internalized "more money = better than" has murdered my self esteem and I wallow in pity instead of improving things because it seems so daunting. I see my friends in do-nothing makework jobs and honestly tell myself I couldn't do it; I've never worked in an office or gotten a salary before and I'm 37 so it all seems so impossible because I graduated into the 2008 recession and nothing ever gets better

yeah but like most people when they get more money just kind of spend more money on poo poo they don't really need, kinda like how people when they move to a bigger house or apartment just end up filling that space up with stuff too

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

I just wanna go to the dentist, man

:smith:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

euphronius posted:

starter home was what you got immediately after you got married before you had a lot of kids and “needed more space “

the house I live in was probably built as a "starter home"

I'd be interested to know what cost in todays dollars when it was built (in like 1955)

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Forseti posted:

I'm wasting time on twitch watching someone play Family Feud on SNES (from 1991).

They got a board with 7 answers. "Name something people get several prices on before they buy".

House wasn't something the surveyed people said :lmao:

Like... you just bought whatever house you liked in 1991? Hellworld loving sucks my dudes :(

lol my parents had a house built in 1986, 4 bd 3 bath, 3000 sq ft on 1.25 acres for like about $150k ish

so yeah basically

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It will be cool when the bubble pops and my houses' entirely bullshit value goes away like the fever dream it is.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mark immune posted:

the house I bought last year @ 145k has a zestimate of 190k now lol that can't possibly be right

sounds about right lol

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

it probably isn't that number is hella made up.

i think they baseline add 45k to any sale price for the zestimate

IDK, they have mine at $230k and my county assessment said $220k

both of those numbers are lol and not at all realistic

this is for a 2 bd, 1 ba house less than 900 sq ft in the suburbs of a smallish midwest city

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

External Organs posted:

When we did a refinance in February the mortgage place just went off the Zillow estimate and didn't even do a new appraisal. Uh, okay.

lol

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I get six+ texts like this every week

lol I used to get texts asking to buy my parents house, the mortgage is in my step dad's name

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

That’s illegal, sadly. I’ve looked into it.

so much for that 1st amendment everyone has a boner for

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
https://twitter.com/MitchellLlama/status/1553060582483542017

Heard of a new scam on the radio. Company is offering to buy houses and "you get to keep your home and you unlock all of the equity!" So basically they buy your house and rent it back to you at whatever the market rate is for rentals.

I've decided that I'm going to start replying to those "we'll buy your house!" texts with an offer of "Buy it for $500,000 as-is, no inspection, my only offer" which is like 2x what the already inflated market is, hopefully that puts a stop to them

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
wrong thread lol

spacemang_spliff has issued a correction as of 20:38 on Aug 3, 2022

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Attention investors and contractors! Are you looking to add a fixer-upper property to your portfolio? Take advantage of this great investment opportunity in Beechview.

lol

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
a year or so ago my mom sold the house we grew up in because it was basically too much house for her and my step dad, they couldn't maintain it and couldn't really afford it. some house flippers offered to buy it as is. it's up on zillow now and goddamn it looks like poo poo.

every thing is white, grey or black. they painted the brick fireplaces white and the wood bookcases black. grey carpet everywhere on the 2nd floor, the first floor is either grey tile or fake grey hardwood (it's not real hardwood because the house never had the real thing). same thing for the basement. although the new owners are going to enjoy the basement flooding and ruining that nice new carpet lmao

why is this the new standard for house flipping, it's so boring and sterile and ugly. like the house needed renovations but it looks like an office now

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Lazer Vampire Jr. posted:

It's basically the least "offensive" interior decoration that realtors/HGTV like to see. The widest possible net cast also means the most boring slop imaginable.

The upside is that it's so bland you can pretty much paint/decorate it immediately for a drastic visual difference.

What really fucks with me is that people who buy those kinds of flips leave it as is.

yeah I get that but it looks like they took a lot of the wood accents and stuff (which was actual wood not laminate bullshit) and either got rid of it or painted over it.

i dont' get it but i'm not a house flipper

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Kreeblah posted:

No lovely barn door bullshit. 3 painted-over black mold patches out of 5.

lol yeah my mom tried to do a lot of work on that house including getting rid of black mold in the basement (it used to flood from the walk out patio that my dad built drunk off his rear end) I guess they painted over whatever was left

the real lol is the door in the middle right in the second picture. that door wasn't there before, it was a hallway that lead to 2 bedrooms that my dad half built after my parents divorced (I think the original idea was that he could rent them out to AA buddies who needed a place to stay for next to nothing). there's no way he actually got a permit to build it, although he did know what he was doing so I assume it passed inspection since that fireplace he put in is still there. I want to walk through the house so I can see what they did with it

im shocked that there's no barn doors tbh

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mastershakeman posted:

sure they can, they just cant then have 4 vacations a year

edit lol im an idiot homeowner living forever in the year i bought. i totally forgot about the interest rate spikes and was like 'oh come on the mortgage wont be that bad' and started running numbers and my eyes popped out

lol their mortgage would be like almost $5k a month. Leaving 2k for everything else

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
yeah it owns that like no one will be able to afford a house unless their wealthy parents buy it or die

doing great america

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
thank god my old man died when interest rates were low

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Demon Of The Fall posted:

the only reason I was able to afford a home last year was my dad prematurely dying and leaving me and my sister money that he was going to blow on travel during retirement

yeah same pretty much

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

paywalled, someone do Kansas City please so I can lol

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Ornery and Hornery posted:

how do I get housing

Vote!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

I'm curious about what the listing agent's though process was here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol i get a letter every year from the state of KS telling me my property value (and my taxes)

god i hate this fuckhole state but hey my mortgage is like 2.9% so gently caress moving