Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Vox Nihili posted:

The best explanation for why he killed a bunch of people is probably the insane psychological torture inflicted on him by a deranged Harvard psychologist in his late teens. Just grabbing the summary from Wikipedia:

He was 17 when they did this to him!

What a loving lightweight, I volunteer for that poo poo on the forums and twitter like 80 hours a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

i say swears online posted:

lol I live in the hottest real estate market in the country and survive on 20k/year, let's not pretend that 2.5x the median family income is financially limiting unless you really, really try

nobody making 150k is skimping on 401k contributions in order to make rent

There's nothing wrong with living in a tent, but that's about what you can afford in downtown seattle on 20k/year.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
There are 400 people in the US who are worth more than $2.9bn. If these people make 5% of their net worth each year that would be 125 million in passive income. This means that the person making 20k is earning 0.00016x their salary and the person making 150k is making 0.0012x their salary.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Tossing out 3k a month as some insane luxury rent that is totally optional tells me you don't live and work in a high cost of living city. That'll get you a pretty middling to crummy 2 bed 1 bath in DC or New York. A lot of my former coworkers were commuting 45-60m to get their rents down to 2500/mo.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

indigi posted:

I live in Philadelphia. first of all I never called it a luxury, i called it a choice. second it’s a single salary, why do they need 2 bedrooms? get a 1BR that isn’t so crummy. 3k can get you a decent to good 1br apartment pretty much everywhere

e: you seem really defensive so I’ll drop this with you

Just to be clear you can't think of any reason that someone would need a 2 bedroom apartment?

Try to understand why I'm saying that these posts are more about your specific situation than a group of class traitors.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I spent 3 years living in a 12x10 apartment that had no kitchen. The building used to be a halfway house that was converted into apartments. It had bedbugs but the rent was $320/month. It wasn't physically large enough for both a bed and a couch so I went with the couch but slept on the floor because after a while my back hurt. If your apartment is larger than that you're going to be first up against the wall.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
In may 2010 I kept track and I stole every single calorie that I ate for a month. I applied for food stamps and got denied because I earned too much at 600 dollars a month lmfao

12 years later I make HUGE money and can afford a LUXURY working kitchen in my MANSION of a 2 bedroom apartment. Sometimes I turn on all 4 burners on my stove even though I only need 2.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
People keep posting, and I quote, "the integer 150 is the same as the integer 20. These are the same number". I just disagree with that.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'll bet marx didn't even own a computer.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah. RV parks can get pretty expensive too. They were around $800/mo locally when I went down this rabbit hole a few years ago. Gotta be getting nuts now.

Just pay the 5 bucks or whatever to get on the turnpike and then boom free rent for life at all the rest stops.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Land lord is a loving funny name. The LORD of land!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
barn door

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My house has barn door flooring. We took some antique barn doors and converted them into a more rustic/natural looking hardwood floor. It sucks when you stub your toe on a hinge but it looks great.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

for god's sake i just want trains

and not those evil holocaust trains either

Would you settle for a regular evil train.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

30.5 Days posted:

I work at a company that has an office in seattle. During the orientation zoom for seattle-area new employees, one of the bellevue motherfuckers asked the guy running the orientation, in hushed tones "is it... safe to go to the office?"

I thought I was in the covid thread and it took me a second

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

euphronius posted:

yeah but it gets tricky figuring in the big ticket items like “new roof “ and “new kitchen”

The landlerd has to do these too, so you're at least recapturing their profit margin.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Crusty Nutsack posted:

my friends just bought a $600k house in June and it needs a $30k roof and I'm like, why did you buy this dumb house then

That's only 5% of the purchase price, not bad for the most important part of the entire house in terms of making it keep value.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
FOUNDATIONS ARE FOR NOOBS!! ROOFS RULE MOTHERFUCKER

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://i.imgur.com/BSSBWgF.mp4

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
That's the concrete pad where I work on my BMX tricks.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

PawParole posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1566025716138901504

I literally just bought 5 apartment buildings to AirnB out and this happens right now FML 🤦‍♂️

Buy the dip.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Greatly expanding Section 8 seems like the only way for our elected officials to ease the housing crunch

its a public-private partnership and a subsidy to landlords, truly a bipartisan solution for us all

Just make the federal government the only legal landlord and set all rent prices at cost of ownership and maintaince. As long an antagonistic political party (or two) doesn't deliberately sabotage the program we're good to go.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you spend 1/3rd of your after tax income on housing costs that means you need $133,200 after taxes so probably 180,000 before taxes. Median wage in USA is $41,000 or so.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Fortaleza posted:

Could also not be real, just a goof up when trying to photoshop stuff in. There's a piece of software specifically for filling out listing photos with stuff that apparently they all use but the name escapes me

Great, so basically 5 years from now AI is going to be generating all the photos for your house listing.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just upgrade the computer so that it can be the landlord and cut out the middleman.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

joepinetree posted:

Reminds me of this place my cousin lived in in the bay area, which was one of those old townhomes divided into 4 apartments. So he had a kitchen/bathroom. In that his corner of the house turned apartment had no kitchen, so they put some appliances in the bathroom.

$3500/mo

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This mountain bike content creator I follow posted a video about how its soooooo hard to be a landlord because your airbnb tenants put loose trash into the trash can and it reminded me that all landlords are scum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5csRl6KHIGw

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Okay first you guys are crying about too many grey tones and now you now you don't like the shark house? Make up your mind!!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Somebody moved into a house about 200m from me and installed an anti-loitering ultrasonic pinger that's attached to a motion detector. Now whenever I walk down the sidewalk to get to the trail I get to have a headache lmfao

It's like 100+db of 20Khz sound, I'm old as poo poo and I can easily hear it its madness. Humans are such dogshit.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

MickeyFinn posted:

This can’t be legal.

Well what am I going to do call the cops and tattle on them? I'll just avoid walking on that block I'm probably safer that way since the people that live there are psychopaths and probably serial killers.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

meanolmrcloud posted:

ahh holy poo poo there’s one at the end of my block too. it triggers on proximity and sounds like a rising tinnitus tone. it really sucks!

Um I don't want to dox myself but does the yard have a piece of rustic farm equipment in it?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Throb Robinson posted:

Unironically I think it's because In their minds they think the containers clicks together like Legos. I've spent enough time around "planners" to know they want the world to be completely modular and plug and play. This is a virtuous design to them.

The part I don't get is if the container is in good enough shape to use as a house why wouldn't it already be in use as a shipping container?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Bar Ran Dun posted:

they don’t use used containers. they use new containers to build houses.

Bitcoinishliy: "no that's too stupid it doesn't work like that. You have to be explaining it wrong."

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The twitch streamer and youtube personality Kripparian turned his former house into an airbnb. The pictures are insane:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/789359526988756495?source_impression_id=p3_1673328696_9Frcanxawzmn29X6&modal=PHOTO_TOUR_SCROLLABLE

This is what 12 hours of hearthstone 7 days a week can buy you. It's a church that was turned into a mansion and features stained glass windows throughout.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Hi, I'm Liberal Logicman and I'm here to tell you that high home prices are good, and affordable housing is bad.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
There's 3 counters, one between the fridge and the oven, one where the microwave goes after you throw it away, and then one on the other side of the sink.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
There's a housing crisis. A crisis of poor taste in interior decorating.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

i say swears online posted:

yeah one friend has 2 with a third on the way. he works at apple, wife is a reduced-hours doctor, so two incomes totalling maybe 300k. they complain about childcare costs but own two rental homes they bought recently and just plowed like 100k on a two-story deck in their backyard

Your friend is making 350,000 and the wife is making another 250,000.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SideEffectShit posted:

renting is much worse than owning

Hey can I borrow a million dollars? I probably can't pay you back but I'll my best basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Post inflation.