Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s just like the last two or three weeks that any seller would even entertain a contingent offer here.

You can definitely see the market shifting where I live too. Stuff that would have been off the market in days a couple months ago is sitting there and the really weird/old/fixer poo poo is starting to get significant price adjustments (normal looking stuff seems to still be moving at the same prices as last year though). Somebody a couple blocks from my current location just listed a two bedroom, one bathroom serious fixer for $650k lmao no way buddy you missed that window

I’ll say though I’m kind of pissed it’s cooling now. My rear end in a top hat landlord gave me a 90 day notice in early April (I guess a little more because it was officially dated May 1 but you know) so she could convert the duplex to air bnb and I had been planning to buy once the market cooled so she kind of upended my timeline and made me go through all the hassle of buying this spring and then my options if I’d waited a couple months were way better. I guess I got in before the interest rates went way up tho so I did alright but what a miserable process the whole thing is

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 18:40 on Jun 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

this is the problem I was in lease and in September. had to choose to renew in august. rates are rising, prices starting to loosen but lol any gains there are much smaller than rate increases.

it is still cheaper to buy than continue to rent lmao.

Yeah. Same situation. Plus city of Portland caps rent increases at 10% year over year so last three places I’ve rented after a couple years I’m under market and landlord gives me a 90 day so they can relet for $1000/month more. I feel like the no cause eviction ban has so many loopholes it’s not even real, they just tell you they’re doing significant remodels and they don’t actually follow through. I’m gonna be glad not dealing with that poo poo anymore even if I’m pissed somebody else dictated my timeframe

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

i am harry posted:

while tilling some soil in the yard I was approached today by a girl offering a free estimate on vinyl siding. firstly she didn’t know what the word “till” is. then we got talking about how she was saving for a house but she didn’t know that you can buy with less than 20%. then she told me what her and her bf are paying to rent a small apartment in Denver ($3000)

ended up giving her the run down on how it all works, how interest rates gently caress you, what an appraisal gap is, and how to start by doing a mortgage prequalification through a broker.

no sale on the siding because her company, through a phone call, wanted me to schedule a time where myself and partner can entertain their sales person inside our house lmao they wouldn’t take sitting on the porch outside so i handed her back her phone…..man I should have told her to sanitize it since my hands were covered in soil amendment…

Vinyl siding is vile stuff anyway. Dodged a bullet imo

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

My house has barn door flooring. We took some antique barn doors and converted them into a more rustic/natural looking hardwood floor. It sucks when you stub your toe on a hinge but it looks great.

Lmao at leaving the hinges on

I want a floor that’s nothing but rusty barn hinges

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i've seen this in louisiana with catholic poo poo

like 20 different kindsa mary statues, jesus at every age, as much as would fit

There’s a house like this in every city over ~500k. Some people get really into statues

Xaris posted:

this house kicks rear end. it's about to take off any day now

This (minus all the garages) looks like every house that’s gone up in Portland in the last four or five years

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

my uncle built his home from cinder blocks, that still a thing?

Sounds especially good for earthquake prone areas. Just spend a few hours stacking it up and you’re good to go!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

lil poopendorfer posted:

idk about this, the wait list for commuter train station parking spots around here is like 15-20 years. All the houses within walking distance to the train stops command a premium too.

Perhaps folks in the PNW just don't appreciate public trans :sad:

It could be. Read up on the Columbia River Crossing if you’re interested. A nearly ten year project that spent $200 million to replace the 100 year old I-5 bridge that was ultimately scuttled because suburbanites in Vancouver were terrified of non-white people from Portland riding the crime train across the river to steal their tvs.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Nothus posted:

It looks like they drew a grid in the sand in the middle of nowhere and started selling lots. There's literally nothing there (especially water).

That’s exactly what they did

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There's water in that area around 100ft down. Out at my friend's 40 acres, his well is 50 feet deep, had water above 30 feet.

But yeah, someone drew a grid a long time ago. That's about it. Now idiots buy the land as investments and lots of them wind up back at the tax office for auction a few years after sitting on the market, ignored by everyone.

There are reasons people would actually want that land. It's close to good hunting ground in the Sangres.

But what kind of water rights come with that property? I know in California you get ground water rights usually by owning the land, but I thought it was significantly more locked down in Colorado? I’m not an expert though

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

As for me, I just went ahead and bought a $30,000 roof in case I ever buy a house that needs one

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

probably but that can get complicated here. they don’t want to know about it because then if the sale falls through they have to put it on the disclosure. and you won’t get the house over something like a roof if you want them to deal with it.

Also depending on the part of the country roofing is seasonal work and even if not right now people can be booked out six months so that’s going to seriously delay a deal

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

i am harry posted:

hmm yes let me spend $15k to live in Missouri for the worst months of the year

actually are there any good months to be living in Missouri?

Having been to Missouri in July and August I’m going to say if Sept.-May are also awful then I guess that depends on whether June is an outlier

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mirthless posted:

I literally just dealt with this exact problem and I know exactly what it is, 1000%

this person had too many pets and not enough litter boxes and a physical inability to change them

the carpet is bleaching from the ammonia in the concentrated urine that is in the carpet

You should take better care of your cats

I kid, I assume your problem was with an aging family member and not your own household, but low hanging fruit

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Demon Of The Fall posted:

being able to see stars again for the first time at night in like my whole life is pretty awesome

It’s pretty amazing when you get somewhere dark and clear enough to see the whole spread. Just phenomenal. When I went to Hawaii’s big island and transversed the saddle road at 1am I couldn’t help but just stop on the side of the road and stare. It really is like the high quality night sky photos when you’re somewhere like that

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

indigi posted:

where do you poo poo

Same place as the pope

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

:hellyeah:

Get hosed, assholes.

It ends on a lovely note

quote:

It’s a much more problematic environment now than it was back then when credit was breaking down in 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008, and the job loss recession happened. Because for the next few years, you had distressed property coming into the system in bulk. So that was like a paradise period for flippers,” Mohtashami said. “But here [in 2022 and 2023], it’s much different.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

maybe this has already been discussed here but it’s new to me https://www.propublica.org/article/yieldstar-rent-increase-realpage-rent

industry-wide price fixing , but it’s an algorithm so who’s to say if it’s legal or not

I like the part where they talk about how property managers are the weak link because they’ll cut deals with people but when it’s the algorithm you can be utterly heartless

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

this is heartbreaking

Aren’t modern dishwashers actually way more efficient than hand washing or is that just propaganda from big appliance?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I haven't had a dishwasher in almost ten years. My landlord says she can't afford one lmao

I don’t know what your financial situation is like but I rented a place without a dishwasher a while back and I was able to pick up a stand-alone unit on wheels that hooked up to the kitchen sink and worked pretty well

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Nothus posted:

At least you don't have to replace it yourself

I had a landlord who did that to me with a sink faucet. The think rusted through and the handle snapped off and she told me she’d get a plumber when she was back in town or if I wanted I could just pick one up for under a certain amount (I think $20 or $50, this was 15 years ago) and take it off my rent (just the faucet though, not the labor)

Lol

Still the worst was the landlord who ignored my complaints for six months that cats were living in the crawl space under the house and then withheld my deposit under the justification that I had unpermitted pets and the place needed to have pest control take care of fleas. And while I think the implication is clear I’ll say outright that I did not have a pet

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

the gently caress is this? where does the coal go?

Don’t worry, they probably still use coal to power the grid it runs on

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I put in a wood floor once. Not refinished. From scratch. In the middle of august in South Carolina. For minimum wage which iirc was about $5/hour.

I don’t know what has come of that floor in the years since but if I were ever to find out somebody had painted it over I’d probably lose my mind. That’s seriously painstaking work to ruin with paint or cover with carpet

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Any time I vote in a thread it’s cause my phone screen misunderstood where I was tapping. The vote and the back to main button are too close

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

when I had a roommate landlord, he had the decency to pay for a cleaner to come twice weekly.

he was also on vacation a lot. the house was owned by he and two friends who were married (probably a polycule) and when the couple got divorced they decided to sell the house. my guy couldn’t afford to buy out the rest so he and I were thrown out and the house was put on the market.

he probably could have afforded to buy it out if he hadn’t been spending thousands of dollars a month on luxury dog food and going on trips to Hawaii every month, too. lovely house and my favorite housemate.

Who can resist that pure joy of flying to hawaii to feast on luxury dog food?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I asked someone on the planning commission if the city was considering doing away with single-family zoning, and I'm pretty sure they tried to tell me that multifamily zoning was the actual problem. I, uh..

Oregon got rid of single family zoning statewide but my understanding is a lot of cities are using the permitting process and development fees to continue enforcing it on a de facto basis

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Hubbert posted:

actually that american foursquare is gorgeous and it would really benefit from a paint job

Looks like really beat up vinyl to me. Can’t paint that

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Don’t worry, it won’t hurt bats or babies

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I simply stripped the bark on all the trees in the neighborhood so simple

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Factory built and prefab housing has come a long way from the 80s/90s and some of it you’d never even know, like multi floor apartments and such

The shipping container thing is just a dumb aesthetic to call attention to itself

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Establish dominance by loving one of his family members

Grandma got ramrodded by I say swears…

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

There are some extra hurdles, but I don't think it's usually an issue as long as you can qualify for the loan you're taking and you can prove that the "gift" isn't a secret loan that you need to pay back.

I know a couple that got $100k toward a house from their parents as a bribe to have kids and I don't think their mortgage company thought twice about it.

like to be clear, you have to say "we're getting a gift" because a huge lump sum appearing in your bank account will definitely raise red flags for a lot of lenders

Yeah, pretty sure it has to come from family and there has to be paperwork that says “this is absolutely unequivocally a gift” but as long as you do that and otherwise qualify for the monthly payments it’s fine to have somebody else pay your down payment

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

gtfo with this "flyover state" bullshit

Given that the two cities most likely to break through in the next couple decades (helpfully ignoring climate change of course) are down in GA and TX I don’t see this changing lol

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

In the 90s Chicago had Chicago Hope, ER, and Family Matters, now it has no hope, no ER, and nothing matters

Idk I’m not clever enough to figure out what to do with ER but thanks for reading my joke anyway

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

small beach town seems like a neat place to live.

do any exist that aren’t playgrounds for the rich?

That ship has probably mostly sailed I think but maybe you might find something in the dregs of the South Carolina coast between myrtle beach and Charleston? That area was pretty run down last time I went through, albeit that’s been 15 years. Maybe way down the Texas gulf coast getting close to the border? Possibly southern Louisiana? I’ve never been but I don’t hear it talked about much either

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Al! posted:

yeah it rules here. id look into the southern oregon coast or where that insane bird guy on the bird app (who is martin random lmao) lives on the far northern california coast

I don’t really think the Oregon coast counts unless you want to be socked in eight months a year but if there isn’t an implied ‘nice weather’ then yeah it would work

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Al! posted:

my doctor just ordered me to start taking a massive dose of vitamin d so you might be right there

Don’t get me wrong I love the Oregon coast and try to get down to port Orford or gold beach for a long weekend every summer, but it’s undeveloped the way it for a reason, and honestly god bless it for that. Going to the Oregon coast especially the southern half really feels like going ten/twenty years back in time in some ways

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

actionjackson posted:

i was in lincoln city once, it was a combination of tourists and white supremacists

Lincoln City is the absolute worst part of the Oregon Coast. Don’t go there

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Any detached house in my area that's even vaguely affordable is guaranteed to have less than 2 full bathrooms. It's the one thing that can still completely poison a house's sale value because only single people and childless couples are willing to put up with sharing one shower.

Every flipper who buys a split level around here will inevitably shove a shower into the (often tiny) family room bathroom so they can relist the house as having 2.5 bathrooms.

This is super common where I live too. One bathroom, no air condition, unfinished basement, ‘garage’ that is a detached deteriorated shed is what you get around here for under half a million lol

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Saucier is not a military rank.

Plongeur is not a military rank.

Friturier is not a military rank.

Patissier is not a military rank.

Kitchen brigade may be structured in a military-esque style, but I never saluted a loving sous chef in my time in the army or a kitchen.

Of course you didn’t. A sous chef is an NCO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have a tub like that except it was deliberately installed in 1996

I rented this house when I was in college ($600/month lol wonder what it goes for now). Anyway, a second bathroom had been added to the upstairs bedroom. Guess where it was?

if you guessed in that weird little addition that hangs over the porch you are correct. In fact, the toilet was placed so that your rear end was perfectly positioned to be viewed from the street through the window