Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Why are the chuds mad about Brie Larson? I must've missed that particular piece of fuckwittery.

She exists as a woman who is not chattel.
Women and black people upset these "people" by existing in any state beyond 'chattel' and 'a corpse' happy to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Slightly afield, but which episode was this? I recognize the gag but cannot for the life of me place it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

PITY BONER posted:

NPC theory words

Actually it's based on the idea that anyone who isn't a shitposting fascist is basically not a real person and so you shouldn't feel bad when you do bad things to them.

Like seriously, there's no deeper meaning or like actual sincere belief in a simulation. It's about how liberals are all sheep so indoctrinated by groupthink and/or predisposed to it by virtue of their feminine genetic inferiority that they do not have actual personhood and so treating them like cattle or worse is fine.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

steinrokkan posted:

Elon is an NPC: Never Present CEO 🤣🤣🤣

I mean I think the few remaining Twitter employees wish he was that.
The problem is he's a present CEO, and his presence is obtrusive, obnoxious, and dangerous.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Yeah, it's way worse.
Sheeple are people, just dumb and easily led ones. NPCs, by definition, are not people. NPCs are objects put into the game world to be dealt with as you please.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

QuarkJets posted:

https://twitter.com/Tillsbury1/status/1609432533518909441

Love fantasizing about taking the side mirrors off my truck to make it look cool (???)

To be fair, I'm not really 'into' cars much for aesthetics, but barring some real old models as notable exceptions, I would agree that generally speaking a car is more aesthetically pleasing without the side mirrors.

Just, you know, I'm also neither (that kind of) a maniac nor (that kind of) an idiot so I would never think of removing the side mirrors from any vehicle I intended to drive, but hey, I'm sure the brilliant on-board self-driving AI can handle the road just fine without them.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Polio Vax Scene posted:

ELON!!

THATS A loving 50 $TSLA MINUS!!!

Tesla cars do have big Leeroy Jenkins energy to them.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

gschmidl posted:

If he's not going to follow Lowtax's trajectory I'll take Limbaugh's.

Becomes the voice of fascism in America, irrevocably radicalizes an entire generation and completely poisons one half of the political spectrum beyond repair, plays kingmaker to that party, and dies a wealthy old monster without ever in his life having to answer for his crimes?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Ah, the ol' Steve Jobs.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Herstory Begins Now posted:

he's unbelievably pathetic but that doesn't mean you should feel at all sorry for him

There's a quote from some Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 splatbook, I think the Fiend Folio or Book of Vile Darkness, describing one of the least forms of Demon and it's something that's always stuck with me, of all things, and which I think sums up Musk - as well as Trump and Rowling - pretty well: "they would be pitiable if they were not so loathsome."

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I long knew Musk was a piece of poo poo and an idiot, but if you had told me even a year ago that Elon Musk would reveal himself within the span of under a year to be unambiguously at least as stupid and pathetic as Donald Trump I would have called you insane.

Like this dumbass motherfucker is so goddamn pathetic he paid 44 billion dollars to try and make himself the main character of a social media website.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

pretty soft girl posted:

If I recall in one of his strip collections, there was a strip about a security guard who steals from the engineers desks and the security guard happened to be one of the only black characters to appear in the comic, ever

he pinned the blame on his colorist for choosing to inject diversity into the comic at that moment lol

When I was a kid I was weirdly into Dilbert and, yes, I remember reading that in one of the collections I had. Looking back on it as an adult, yeah, it's a bit more ominous. Do newspaper colorists get credited the way comic books do? Would it be possible for anyone to track down and try and e-mail or otherwise contact the colorist? Given what I now know about his history of sockpuppetry and obvious insane racism, I'd not be surprised to learn that was a bullshit excuse he made.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Songbearer posted:

Big fuckin cheek to advocate for brevity when this dude goes Big Words More Smarter at the drop of a hat

Interesting.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I mean there are two possibilities I think for what Musk means by 'meme community' and both are so stupid and pathetic that I honestly don't know which is more likely:
1. He means 4chan but still has enough social sense - like how he keeps claiming to be Centrist - to know that admitting he is a fan of and values the opinion of a white supremacist website at the fore of modern fascism is probably not something he should say in public.
2. He legit thinks there is something that could be called 'the meme community.'

Both are very dumb.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So it finally hit me earlier today what Musk reminds me of and why he's such a bad poster.
He's outdated. He doesn't post like a modern day 4channer or your other, average, fascist shitposter. He is too concerned trying to maintain plausible deniability and keeping up the facade that being seen as a fascist or a racist is a bad thing to be avoided, rather than something to be embraced. He posts like this is still the early 2000s and that fascism is something the Right hides, rather than embraces.
Like he's basically some lame right wing radio host from the Deep South circa 2003 who is trying to distinguish themselves by being more lewd, crude, and snarky than Limbaugh, but still being too afraid to actually just go ahead and use slurs or call for death camps.

Like he's not merely unfunny and completely lacking in wit or charisma - and of course an evil bastard - but he's also operating on sensibilities from over a decade ago.

Like that's why he's so concerned with claiming he's a centrist and poo poo. He doesn't seem to realize what decade it is and that the cultural zeitgeist has changed so wildly that nowadays he'll get more respect and adoration - from the fanbase he cultivates, anyway - by being openly monstrous than by trying to do this absurd routine of deniability he's doing.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So not that the laws apply to Musk or Twitter, but is he violating any laws by having no contact means anymore due to the whole poop emoji stunt?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Klyith posted:

luckily elon's partners are so fast to pull the divorce ripcord that he never even gets the chance. they're already out the door before his toes can get sweaty.

and say what you want about lowtax, but at least that guy tried to have a relationship with his kids

Lowtax was a piece of poo poo but he was funny at one time, attempted at one point to be there for his kids although he hosed that up, and most importantly: he was not a fascist and did not spend billions of dollars and hours of his time campaigning for genocide.

The only 'people' Musk can be fairly compared to are Trump and Rowling. I can't think of any other modern day folks who are both that evil and that pathetic.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
He was able to keep the mask on successfully for many years, by and large. When did Grimes leave him and how soon after did he start gong mask off and acting so erratic? There was the pedophile mine tunnel poo poo that was a slip, but he largely seemed to recover from that in the general public eye.

Like was Grimes leaving him legit the first time in his life he was told 'no' and made to face some kind of consequence and that's what broke him? Or did he just, in unrelated news, pick up a drug habit or suffer a head injury or something?

Like he's so loving stupid now he has to be on something. I can't believe this clown we are currently seeing could ever keep his poo poo together long and wholly enough to ever create the phony image he long enjoyed. Did he fire his PR people or something and the new ones are unable or unwilling to wrangle him?

Like I'm not doing a bit; I'm legit really curious how the gently caress we went so fast from "Elon Musk the lovely wannabe STEMlord capitalist rear end in a top hat" to "the only man in human history more pathetic and stupid than Donald Trump"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Prowler posted:

Legitimate answer: He's always been a pathetic and stupid rear end in a top hat OP. It's the exact same with Trump: everyone knew he was a rich capitalist rear end in a top hat racist liar, among many things, but we didn't get a full course on how incredibly stupid and how much of a racist liar he actually is until he ran for and became president.

Steadiman posted:

Elon was always poo poo according to pretty much everything I’ve read in this thread. He was just a lot less visible and probably had a team to run interference for him and stop him from saying too much in public. Now we’re just getting unfiltered Musk all over us and that stink doesn’t wash off. I don’t think he really changed, our access to his brain farts has.

I guess? I mean he had twitter before though. Like it feels like something has to have changed. If we're getting more access to him, then his handlers have changed or have simply decided to no longer bother, because yeah. If Musk is as dumb as he ever was, and his handlers are the same as they ever was, then nothing should have changed. Yet something has. So either Musk has gotten worse, or his handlers/PR people have.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Loqieu posted:

I've never heard of roko's basilisk before, but it's not even original. It sounds exactly like the Ultimate Intelligence and the Shrike from the book series Hyperion, which is from the late 80s.

I feel like my favorite thing about Roko's Basilisk is how well it recognizes its audience. It understands the only way to make them give a gently caress about other people is by making other people literally also themselves. "If you don't behave now, future generations will have it bad." "gently caress it, who cares." "If you don't behave now, a future copy of yourself will be punished!" "Oh no, not something that is sort of me!"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
How big is Twitter - or rather was, before Musk happened - outside the Anglosphere anyways?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Could you imagine going back to like 2010 and saying that in the not so distant future the world's richest man will buy Twitter, run it into the ground, destroy his reputation, and lose a fight with NPR all in less than a year?

Data Graham posted:

I bet Stormfront has like a cooking subforum, an arts & crafts subforum,

I mean 4chan does and 4chan is orders of magnitude worse than Stormfront.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Nah. I think he's innately cruel like Trump, too. He doesn't merely want sycophants to fawn over him, he also wants explicitly helpless enemies he can beat on. He doesn't merely demand adoration, he also wants an outlet for his sadism.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Halisnacks posted:

Filming specific people at clubs and posting them on socials without their consent is not cool, unless you think it’s okay to completely destroy the freedom that those spaces are trying to cultivate.

I’d say this also applies to rich and powerful people.

The Irish PM was recently filmed at a club and it led to a whole bunch of (occasionally homophobic) histrionic handwringing. Similar thing with the soon-to-be-former Finnish PM at a party.

If you think society should have spaces where you can truly let loose, the norms of those spaces should apply to people you don’t like too.

I agree entirely. We are, however, talking about fascists, not people.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
If Musk is not a wise genius superman deserving of his wealth, then society is insanely broken on a fundamental level.
Most people would rather believe the former than the latter.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Durzel posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1658294188528783360?s=46&t=NlE8jHkwoOOHAJ7q2SpiYQ
Twitter was very transparent in its capitulation to Turkey’s government. They didn’t have time to go to court by the time they were asked to suppress opposition messaging, so they had to comply!

:argh: Wokipedia!

I can't wait for Musk to go and create Conservapedia 2 and have it somehow be even more stupid.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

He's not freaking out about Soros - even the imaginary version of Soros he talks about. He's an antisemite who hates Jews but still has enough social awareness to know he cannot say "Jews want to destroy the fabric of society" so instead he says "Soros".

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

TulliusCicero posted:

Can someone explain to me how someone becomes a gay right wing furry?

I feel like 2 of those things immediately disqualify the other, but holy gently caress if there are not an impressive and depressing number of cases of sheer cognitive dissonance walking around.

You have Jewish fascists helping the GOP. You had Milo.
The history of fascism is full of fascists who were from groups marked for extermination who, in their hubris and idiocy, convinced themselves that they were different because they were the protags of reality and that they would, somehow, be spared the purge after the fascists won.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mr Scumbag posted:

Not even the original fascist in-groups are safe since fascism needs to turn inward for new enemies once the external enemies have been dealt with, either literally or within their own fiction.

Correct.
Fascism is not an ideology in the traditional sense. It's more akin to a mental illness or aberrant personality type. It's my contention that most fascists in history as people would generally use the term were not, they were just extreme conservatives. I think America is somewhat unique in that most of our fascists are actually fascists.
Fascism, to me, is what happens when conservatives get so extreme that they start confusing the map and the territory. Violence and terror cease to be the first and best means of accomplishing goals, and instead become the goals themselves. Fascism is, in its simplest terms "I like hurting people and believe violence is an ends unto itself."

Conservatives already disdain reason and introspection as weakness, but fascists openly and proudly deny reality as part of performative fascism.

Any and all attempts to understand fascism from a reason-based standpoint are doomed to failure because it's literally akin to trying to reasonably parse the delusions of a person with severe untreated mental illness. "Violence is an ends" is not something a sane person can really parse, and it's the loving starting point.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Tea Party Crasher posted:

This just goes to show that for the true sycophants it'll be easy to replace musk with a generative AI model.

Few, if anybody, like Musk. Just like with Trump. They like that he acts like they act and so they can live vicariously through them. His success is their success. Plus, especially in Trump's case, he hurts the people they want destroyed.

Remember when Trump got booed at one of his rallies for encouraging vaccines and taking credit for them? The moment the current fascist idol ceases to behave sufficiently like his base, they will drop him and move on to some other ghoul.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I mean to be generous to some of the more quietly bigoted gay folks and whatnot, I think some of it is what you just have always historically seen where a minority tries to help obtain or secure its rights by contrasting itself to some other, even more detested, minority group. Like how in many ways the history of racism in the US can be summed up sort of "I may be Irish, but at least I'm not black!" "I may be Italian, but at least I'm not Irish!" etc etc.

"I may be gay, but at least I'm not trans!" is the modern reflection of that. Of course it's morally wrong and also practically wrong as well, as it's predicated on the absurd and incorrect assumption that the hate stops with one group and wont move on to the next. That somehow the bigots will be satisfied once transpeople have been wiped off the face of the Earth and that gay folks aren't up on the chopping block after that.

I mean, hell, it's even dumber with queer issues than racial ones since yeah, the Right tends to conflate it all anyway. Like just look at media even from the early aughts; homosexuality and transexuality are in many ways interchangeable where offensive comedy is concerned.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Elon Musk is a twerp.
It's the only word that describes him perfectly. He's a petulant little twerp. He's similar to Trump and Rowling but like he's the only one who's a twerp.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
THE ONE HE WON'T ANSWER!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Disinformation is what (((they))) call the truth. Redpill yourself, pleb.

Seriously, that's what they believe. Remember they use 'fact checker' as a slur. Like Elon taking a stand against what sane people read as misinformation reads to his base as a bold move in support of truth that places him in the sights of the Deep State/Jews/Illuminati/Satanists/Hivites/Cabal/SJWs/Libcucks.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Gotta love how mr. genius takes one look at questionable science, and then instead of, y'know, checking it out on a reputable source, just throws out a question to the open internet like a kid posting his essay topic in a forum. He not only has poo poo critical thinking skills, he's just so goddamn intellectually lazy.

And it doesn't help that he spends huge chunks of the day look up tweets from randos like this just to feed his already hyperinflated ego.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1666100180217724929

I suppose the answer is he imagines himself as Hari Seldon - which also doesn't work because he's hands-on as gently caress - but like, uh... I know he misses the point a lot but yeah. The entire point of Seldon's psychohistory was that great man theory was nonsense, ultimately. The masses and their reactions to various social forces are what mattered. In fact it was a great man - the Mule - that loving deraile the entire project.

Plus all the other stuff with Second Foundation and poo poo revealing that ultimately it didn't work and needed external guidance.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

StrangersInTheNight posted:

all of it falls apart anyway when Asimov reveals that Daneel Olivaw has basically made himself immortal and has been affecting the course of history since Robots & Empire. Hari and everyone else are just doing what Daneel positioned them to do because he saw everything coming with his amaaaaazing positronic brain and was the only being long-lived enough to actually affect the course of history. Asimov's whole thing in Foundation comes down to 'no one single thing anyone does matters because we have such short lives, it's a combination of efforts over time leading to a culmination of change', and he uses an almost godlike AI manipulating these efforts into a snowball effect to prove his point.

Yep. Although I also - and I brought this up in the Foundation thread - feel like he kind of drops the ball WRT Galaxia a bit and some stuff. But yeah.
As with the Culture stuff, Musk fundamentally fails to understand the themes and ideas of Foundation.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeh Asimov kinda loses the thread at the end where it's like, aaaaand everything becomes a space superorganism.

But really, Elon's hinging his ego on a series that, frankly, gives one of the more queerplatonic relationships in fiction and at its core is about how personal relationships change our life's course and purpose. Daneel affects the rest of human history because his relationship with Lije Baley was so profound, he doesn't want to see humanity be lost.

I don't think Musk would ever be able to have such a relationship, with any person.

Well it' also that the argument used to justify Galaxia is completely logically unsound. It's especially weird because Asimov was an atheist and the argument is essentially Pascal's Wager, only worse.
The justification for Galaxia is that it's the best hope for humanity in the face of alien aggression. But there's three immediate and massive problems with that
1. There is not only no evidence of alien sapience in the series, but given how widespread humanity is, the absence of evidence has become by that point evidence of absence.
2. Even assuming for the moment that aliens exist, there is no more reason to believe they would be hostile than to believe they would be benign - we cannot even say whether or not aliens exist, let alone what their demeanor is.
3. Similarly, since nothing can be said about aliens - including whether or not they exist - how the gently caress can one say that humanity united in Galaxia is the best bet for survival? Maybe they have some kind of memetic mind-virus that would make Galaxia the worst option and allow them to effortlessly and instantly conquer humanity.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

UndusMundae posted:

I thought it was the fact that Bruce referred to himself as Bruce, and he knew he was trapped inside a dream of someone else's making, because he always referred to himself as batman, even mentally.

Different episodes. The one you're thinking of is an episode of Batman Beyond. The one with the dream-text is 'Perchance to Dream' from TAS, and one of my favorite episodes.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Budzilla posted:

I don't give a poo poo about Musk and care little about twitter but is Elon trying to burn down this company? The guy is supposed to be a tech bro and this happens? I can understand him firing his employees for dumb reasons but ending a contract of a critical service that anyone who has an knowledge in technology and internet is loving unbelievable.

Musk is about as intelligent as Trump. He's a profoundly stupid man. He just happens to have a different sort of egomania from Trump and isn't anti-intellectual and as such tries to cultivate an image of being a philosopher-king and also, to his credit over Trump, shows at least a cursory surface-level interest in intellectual pursuits.

But he's just as dumb. He's seriously a dumb motherfucker and given his apparent drug abuse, he's only going to get dumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

gschmidl posted:

Highly doubt this.

He very clearly thinks being intelligent and educated is a good thing. He just has no idea what that entails and no willingness to put in effort to be it.
Musk wants you to praise him for being a genius.
Trump just wants you to praise him.

Musk has a very specific idea of who and what he is, and 'intellectual' is a huge part of it. Look at how he depicts himself as opposed to how Trump and a lot of other fascists depict themselves. Musk wants you to think he is a genius philosopher-king technocrat who is going to use his amazing mind and technology to save the human race. 'He's the real life Tony Stark.'

EDIT: Trump wants to convince you he's a successful businessman. Musk wants to convince you he's a techbro genius.
Like that's the really hilarious/sad/pathetic thing. He's not a techbro idiot. He's too stupid and too lazy to be one. He's someone so loving pathetic that 'techbro' is an aspirational goal that he will never be able to attain.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 2, 2023