Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheBizzness posted:

Ain’t nothin’ gone happen.

Stuff is gonna happen, I don’t know why you think it won’t.

It won’t be the end of Musk because rich people can’t die, but stuff will happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheBizzness posted:

Hopefully in 8-10 years I can eat some crow about it.

Most of the lawyers I’ve seen talk about it don’t see it going on very long. They seem to think either Twitter is gonna get a pretty substantial payoff (way more than a billion) or musk is gonna be forced to buy Twitter at a slightly reduced price

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

kazil posted:

LegalEagle video recently went up about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ffKoZXt-BM

The court where this case is taking place doesn't gently caress around, so it'll probably be resolved relatively quick.

Justice moves lightning fast when it's protecting the wealthy.

Yeah legal eagle is a good video for this as he really breaks it down and it’s clear he’s not a fan of musk

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah the biggest thing is Delaware is specifically constructed to enforce these types of contracts. If they fail to do that without good cause corps will just relocate to places that will do that for them

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Literally the only way he gets out is if Twitters execs just doesn’t want him to purchase it.

Maybe they compromise and Elon has to pay a little less

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

pisshead posted:

By the standards of the time they were incredibly progressive. The idea of even voting for whoever was in charge of the country instead of the divine right of kings was considered radical lefty nonsense. Never mind stuff like a written constitution, freedom of religion, separation of powers etc. But it just goes to show that whatever you do, someone in the future will consider you to be awful because you didn't manage to create a 21st century egalitarian utopia in the 18th century.

None of this is particularly true, voting as it existed at the time was pretty old concept that ebbed and flowed as the times changed.

American nationalist prefer to believe this though as everyone likes to feel special

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well that makes sense, prosperity gospel was just a rationalization added to the dominant morality. With its popularity waning you don’t want that perfectly good rationalization going away

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean doesn’t Tesla in fact struggle with that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Guze posted:

Twitter is about to be epic bacon :cool: n-word is allowed

Hell its encouraged

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What is really funny is I think the most likely thing is musk buys twitter….and nothing changes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What’s weird is he should have at least pretended to meet with Ukrainians. To look at least a little bit fair.

You don’t even need to actually care, just pretend

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He always was gonna. He probably was hoping people would beg him for his help and instead well no one did. He gambled and lost

He had no way to win the gamble but that’s another matter

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

How would exclusive celebrity content even work? Will he make deals with them to put out content? Why would they want to do that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

think Patreon, but built directly into Twitter. so people would be able to be able to pay to "subscribe" to a celeb's tweets, and that celeb would be able to make certain tweets "subscribers-only"

But you would need to get really big celebs for this to work which would make it not really worth it for them.

Especially since I assume most would want a signing bonus up front

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

One cared more about money and the other cares more about culture war (see: buying it at an inflated price to begin with).

It shouldn’t be said that despite what Musk says there is no way he won’t go where the money is

Because of the price he paid

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BoldFace posted:

I don't think he really cares.

Nah if he didn’t care he wouldn’t have tried and back out.

The only reason he bought twitter is he backed himself into a corner he couldn’t escape

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

lol only 5 bucks to join King Elon's twitter?

It’s not even that, it’s to get a blue checkmark

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also even if this works I can’t see this system making all that much money, nowhere near what he needs

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

People obviously care. SA bleeding members has been a thing people talk about for years

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lol Musk is now personally begging celebs to purchase his sub system to fights bots and trolls?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It’s really funny in that Musk is going to face consequences for the first time in his life, because he finally hosed around with other rich people

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

But the verified accounts aren't the bots? The verified accounts pay for the bots to like and retweet their poo poo.

Also as presented being verified isn’t necessary. Being verified is just a “cool” bonus

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think Musk just assumed his cult of personality would just smooth this over but most of the blue check marks he cared about don’t give a gently caress

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t get why he thinks this will do anything for spam

The vast majority of users are unverified this does nothing outside the very top end

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean I know he doesn’t care but like he’s not even trying to come up with a reason why it woukd do it, just says it will and trust him

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well Musk needs cash pretty desperately

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Didn’t one of the far right dudes just got let back on like the day after he took over

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah a lot of the right wingers that supported him are turning on him because he’s pretending to be even handed which is funny

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The fact people seem to legitimately think the checkmark is what makes the celebrities is awe inspiring

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think he thinks if he gets enough people on twitter to agree with him online advertisers will change their mind?

That didn’t work when he tried to wiggle out of the purchase itself so I don’t know why it would work now

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well people have been saying that but more in response to all the right wingers saying this is a win for free speech. Not like in general

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It should be mentioned that that Latte tweet probably got a lot of likes from right wingers who say lattee and thought he was owning the libs

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

crime weed posted:

there will be a new "verified account" badge

it will also be blue, and it will override the blue checkmark. it will be provided to verified accounts for free.

That would be the funniest outcome

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

How is that functionally different than shadowbanning

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

No he will gate the hate speech because that’s what’s scaring the advertisers

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Look I know you think the current system is to unstable so we are allowing the users to decide on a whim to really clarify things

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah Twitter as it was before was extremely basic. You can’t really kill that concept just change who runs it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Terebus posted:

Yeah, no one else has tried to clone the SiMplE concept of twotter because it so easy and it will eadily be overtaken by this other platform that will appear out of nowhere.

I mean the point is if twitter does it will be replaced. People are acting like twitter dying kills the concept

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

You have to wonder how much of the panic has leaked past his idiot self-confidence.

I mean it's a matter of time before even he can't deny "Oh I've hosed up and I'm hosed" at which point we're going to see a meltdown for the ages.

He’s literally on Twitter begging for money

We are already here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Musk losing billions to acquire millions is why he’s a genius and I’m not