Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Zil posted:

Is this a subtle way of reducing headcount since Telsa stock has tanked?

If I were a betting man, I'd say it has to do with keeping employee chit-chat where the supervisors can hear it. Either because of fear of unionization or in the wake of Boss Man's sexual harassment scandal, or both. No phones allowed, company monitored wifi and slack, keep fraternization to a minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Faustian Bargain posted:

i used to not get the hype around apple stuff until i switched to an iphone and everything just seems to loving work. 2 years ago i started a new job where we all have macbooks and it’s the same thing, it just works. that is pretty drat cool.

airpod pros also own.

I get the popularity, and I own a few Apple products myself for the reasons you mention, but goddamn they are just straight-up pricing me out. I'm not on my phone enough to justify what they want for an iPhone, and I don't want to take out a small business loan just to afford a laptop. I got a mac mini and it's an absolute workhorse, and cost less than half what I would pay for a laptop with half the processing power, and it might be my last Apple purchase. My late 2015 macbook pro is still working too, and I'll run it until it dies, but I'm going to have to pivot to a different solution for replacing it.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

dr_rat posted:

Hear the new apple M1/M2 chips have some pretty neat architecture, so I mean that's cool and all, but it's not really changing things up on a consumer level.

I get the sinking feeling that the plan is to bring the walled garden down to the chip-level with the M chips, and eventually you won't even be able to run third party software on your mac, just rent software from Apple with a subscription model.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it is entirely possible this is because she's loving up charging her phone somehow

That's probably the case, and I would bet that it's not her fault. Third party chargers and cables seem like a wild west of unregulated garbage, but Apple surge-prices their chargers and cables to the point where people don't have another worthwhile option.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

dr_rat posted:

Depends what you want to use the OS for. But mac going hard on subscription could be well be a thing.

Yeah, it's where I as a scientific programmer get off the boat. I like the OS because it plugs directly into linux with easy terminal/command-line interface and pretty seamless integration of the programs I like to use, while also being a good vehicle for media consumption and producing figures and documents. Scientific software seems to always have a "you do it the regular way on linux/osx, and if you have Windows here's a completely separate page of instructions and good luck" way of doing things. The assurance that if it runs on linux it runs on osx has always been a major selling-point for me. And it's been ages since I've tried to use linux alone, so they might have improved things by leaps and bounds, but I always got lost in the technical details on linux and couldn't hack it as my own IT support, so osx was a welcome middle-ground.

I got spooked on the M chips right away when I started hearing stories that some of my base scientific software simply wouldn't run on it, it seems like they fixed that problem but the trust is gone and now I think I need to figure out a different solution to my computing needs. The proliferation of linux virtual environments is a possible way to move into something with a home in Windows, but I also hate Windows. If linux has become more friendly since the last time I tried it (mint., maybe?) I might try going pure linux but I am afraid that I'll hit a roadblock with something and end up stuck.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Ugh, I know someone with a Tesla and I actually sat in the passenger's seat while they let it drive itself for short periods of time. Never again.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

he's an expert at making the impossible possible in the car space, which i know because before Musk bought Tesla there was no such thing as an electric car, or a Tesla car concept, except that both of those things definitely existed before he cut a check and took credit, look what i'm saying is i am very smart and i know a lot about this stuff

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1577341397836959746?s=20&t=jl8xw7ujWz678kUsZy1imQ

With business savvy like that, Twitter is in great hands

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Certainly those text messages where Elon is talking about gutting half of Twitter's employees aren't going to come back to bite him

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Babylon Bee will be featured in your feed whether you like it or not. They just did another LOLZ comic, this time Elon sticks it to Hillary!!!

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

sticksy posted:

Pretty confident that Musk will find a way to make it worse while also somehow resulting in innocent people being killed due to it.

Twitter will just become his personal tool to pump and dump the latest scam he's running, totally worthless

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Bad Purchase posted:

it's not trump on twitter that's the concern, he's already too famous for deplatforming to do much. anyone who cares what he has to say knows where to find him, and other media constantly talks about the dumb poo poo he says, including plenty of twitter reply guys who screenshot his "truths".

the concern would be that twitter under musk would do even less than the, well, barely anything they're doing now to enforce standards against hatred, bigotry, and misinformation that is harmful to public health and allowing more nazis to grow platforms in the future. it will undeniably be worse with him at the helm, but it's already very bad. i would care more if twitter were actually worth saving. instead i'm happy to watch them tear each other apart.

This is absolutely it. Musk is pure poison for what Twitter could be but isn't. If there's a battle over the soul for America and western democracy, this isn't it.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/OccupyDemocrats/status/1585350115736571904?s=20&t=8ek3UEZwkZ6qDZmuzDcw8A

Occupy Democrats wants you to know that everyone is talking about this new social media platform that just happens to be run by Occupy Democrats

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Bad Purchase posted:

he will first require all employees to return to the office including the ones who have always been full remote, then move to texas or FL a few months later to inflict maximum pain on the employees

"See, I didn't fire 75% of the employees, they chose to quit!"

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Mozi posted:

if i were one of those engineers tasked with this that'd be a week of either doing nothing or looking for other jobs

Yeah if I weren't already in the process of finding a new job this would definitely do it for me. And not just among engineers, you can imagine he'd be putting these kinds of ultimatums on all departments for the silliest things.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

So you can either pay $20/mo to maintain a check next to your name on a hate speech platform, or just literally go anywhere else including what sounds like a Mastodon clone that Jack wants to roll out as a competitor to Musk Social.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Is this the pirate or the turtle?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Pennywise the Frown posted:

"Cancel culture" is so loving stupid.

If someone is an rear end in a top hat, I don't buy their product. So I guess I'm part of the huge liberal movement to make people do what I want them to do.

Or, I just don't like giving my money to assholes because there are 300 other options.

I remember when Cancel Culture was exactly the way libertarians claimed the Free Market worked, so we don't need anti-discrimination laws: "If someone ran a business and acted like a bigot, nobody would buy from them and they'd be replaced by a better business, presto change-o no laws needed!" Now if you do that, they tell you you're doing it wrong and the bigot is entitled to your business.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

King Carnivore posted:

cancel culture is literally the invisible hand at work

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Dying trapped in a DeLorean would at least still be cool though, because you're in a Delorean.

When this baby hits 88 degrees centigrade, you're going to see some serious poo poo.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I immediately retreat to 40% of my starting position because I am a master negotiator.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

goatface posted:

I bet he takes over 50%. For processing costs.

He's personally supervising each line of code by hand, he deserves more than 50%

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

"I don't see American flags on their profiles, so it isn't real diversity!" is my favorite so far.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

You can tell Elon is in control and not upset at all because he can't let a single criticism go and is constantly tweeting about how wrong everyone else is, just like you'd expect from someone who is in charge.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Rad Russian posted:

Knowing some people at Tesla, you'd be surprised how many are willing to give up on any work-life balance for a chance to work for "a visionary" and to "change the world". Musk has a lot of weird cult-like fans.

I don't think it's a coincidence that in the fictional life Chandler Halderson presented to his parents, he had a super duper high paying job at Space-X. Before he murdered both of them and tried to incinerate their bodies in the living room fireplace.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

IBroughttheFunk posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1588081971221053440

Just how Trump is a dumb person's idea of a rich man, Elon is a dumb person's idea of a smart man.

The collective, cybernetic super-intelligence has decided that a $8/mo generalized verification system is a really stupid idea

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He's not Tony Stark, he's Tony Fark.

Get ready for Elon TV

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Social media is saturating and imploding, which is absolutely fine by me. But it's going to make people with dying platforms like Zuck do some dumb stuff to try and define the next wave of social media hype, and he's put all of his eggs in the AR/VR basket. I don't think Musk had a plan beyond "get them to stop making fun of me for losing my wife to a chick and then offering horses for HJs". I guess Zuck at least had a plan, even if it sucks.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

DrPossum posted:

psure elno has been left holding the biggest bag in history

And he demanded it, no less. The only guy in history to rug-pull himself.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

If my business isn't successful, it's because of Antifa terrorists who hate freedom of speech

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Elviscat posted:

What does this mean, for those of us that don't code or whatever?

I'm going to run the most successful publishing company by only retaining the workers who used the most printer toner

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

JAMOOOL posted:

not to turn this into coder's chat but I personally think more lines is sometimes better, some of our devs try to fit incredibly complex loops into a single lambda expression and while yeah it does work it's also impossible to debug. verbose code is at least easy to fix

As an annoyingly verbose coder I agree, but using commits or lines as a KPI for engineers is an exercise in Goodhart's Law to an extreme.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

kazil posted:

wouldn't surprise me if most of the people that reply to Elon are actual people. It's low risk, high reward to tweet that you like his ballsack and he gives you a million dollars.

It's those people that are targeted by cryptobots and whatnot because they are the dumbest people on the platform

It's not a coincidence that there have been not one but two "Baby Elon" cryptocoin projects, both of which rug-pulled.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I like to write my code and in-line documentation as if an idiot is going to be reading it, because that idiot will be me three months from now

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Elon Musk could not have possible forseen that the deal would be bungled so badly by Elon Musk, he's blameless

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I spent $44B so I could complain about being the little guy fighting for free speech

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

The only people left on twitter who like Elon are only placated by firing more twitter employees. I'm sure Elon's objective and thoughtful leadership won't be influence in any way.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

"It was a cheeky nod! It was a cheeky nod!" I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and transform into an unemployed sycophant

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Big Scary Owl posted:

I decided to try out Mastodon after hearing about it and I have no clue how it works

I found one decently-sized name from my old twitter circle and I'm just going through follower/follow trees and re-creating the twitter community. It's not too difficult, although depending on which server I live on vs the person I want to follow the procedure for following seems to either be "click the follow button and give your account name" or "copy this in the search bar on your profile and click on the follow button there".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

If only there were some vetting process that could be used to clearly identify the real account and set it apart from the impersonators