Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

busalover posted:

So who is winning in the court of public opinion? According to my Youtube-recommendations, Amber Heard is "totally getting owned". I'm guessing the internet being a white sausage-fest has something to do with that take, but what do I know.

A LOT of women who have been victims of domestic violence are on Depp's side. There's no evidence that Amber Heard had suffered any of the injuries she's claimed he inflicted, she's admitted to cutting off his fingertip and hitting him and making GBS threads on their bed, and she lifted significant parts of her testimony from an interview Rihanna did about Chris Brown

I'm firmly in the Believe Victims camp, but I don't think she's a victim. Abuse victims don't record themselves chasing after their abuser and begging for another fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

DrVenkman posted:

Oh she lifted testimony from Rhianna did she? Because before that it was from THE TALENTED MR RIPLEY. No one can put the clip of her talking and the clip from the movie together though, which you'd think would be very easy to do.

There's video of Rihanna's description of Chris Brown that compares it to Amber's description which is also on video, I'm not going to scroll through Twitter to find it, but it's there. I know there's some testimony that she had some bruises, but there's nothing to show that it was from a vicious beating, let alone the multiple assaults she claims. Same with her broken nose: she was seen on camera the day after he supposedly broke her nose, there's no swelling or bruising. Her "black eyes" are dark circles under her eyes, and the bruises she's had look like what happens when you rough house with a couple dogs regularly. She picks at her lips a lot, too

Heard has claimed she suffered horrible and frequent abuse, but there's no evidence. She made voice recordings and took pictures of Depp passed out, but there are no pictures or records of her injuries. She never got medical attention, she never took any pictures, no one ever saw her with bruised ribs or a swollen face or anything. That's another thing you can find on Twitter: women's pictures of themselves and their injuries from domestic violence, compared to Heard's self-submitted photo of her injuries, and there's no comparison

Honestly, the person I feel bad for the most, is Rihanna. People keep posting her pictures and interviews for comparison, and that can't be fun to relive

But, yeah, tl, dr: I don't believe Amber Heard. I believe they're both toxic, but she's not the victim

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

DrVenkman posted:

I mean Twitter also has video of her doing coke on the stand as well, so 'it exists on Twitter' is hardly a point in its favour.

Comparing two victims and saying 'she should be more like this one, because this is how a real victim behaves' is a worldview you need to reconsider.

This is the video I'm talking about, that shows the statements each woman made, so it's not the supposed cocaine bullet or the text of her alleged testimony that came from "The Talented Mr. Ripley." You hear the same descriptions of the men's eyes, of them "being gone," and even similar hand gestures at similar points in the stories

As for the comparison, no one is saying she needs to act a certain way, they're literally just comparing photos of injuries. Amber's photos don't show injuries anywhere near what she's claimed, and no one remembers her suffering from them. No one has testified that they remember her nose being swollen/tender/misshapen from being broken, and she has no photos, either. Same with her other injuries, like the cuts all over her feet that didn't impede her from walking comfortably. It doesn't seem like she took a lot of time out of the public eye to recover, either

It's something I can't get over and I can't give her the benefit of the doubt. She documented everything about their marriage EXCEPT the severe injuries she frequently endured. Not a single photo, no medical records, NO PHOTOS? You take pictures of your husband passed out as "proof" that he's violent, but not of the many wounds that are the result of his violence? I don't buy it

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

unpleasantly turgid posted:

heards lawyer seems kinda out to lunch

Apparently Heard is a difficult client to defend and to deal with as a person, and they've supposedly had a screaming match behind closed doors, who knows if that's really true though

There's talk that the clarification about Heard's "pledged" donations could lead to perjury charges in the UK; part of the judge's decision was based on her testimony that she didn't keep the money and had already given it away

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Inzombiac posted:

Moreover, I've intimately known people with BPD and her behavior, especially in the recordings, is eerily similar.

My mom's sister tried pulling this stunt with her ex-husband, she accused him of battering her and got an abused women's organization involved in the divorce for a little bit (until they realized she was lying and wasting their time), both of my parents had to make depositions, it was a whole thing. She did the same thing Amber does in her recordings, following people who were trying to walk away and trying to goad them into fighting with her more. She even barricaded herself in a room with my mother to keep an argument going while we were visiting for her birthday. My mom cut her out of our lives during the divorce, and she lives on another continent now

It kills me when people are saying that it's internalized misogyny that women don't believe Amber Heard, when it's that many of us have dealt with an Amber at some point in our lives. Also we have ears and eyes, like come on

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Harminoff posted:

If you wanna act like you are aware of the case than just say Amber good johnny bad and you'll fit right in.

Conversely, you could say Johnny good Amber bad and fit in just fine

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

...Even assuming Depp is the sole abuser in the relationship, I think it's quite a bit more plausible that this lawsuit is a desperate and misguided attempt at gaining some amount of sympathy/salvaging his image with the public and less so that this is all an elaborate form of continuing his abuse because he misses being able to abuse his ex and he is just constitutionally an abusive monster with an obsessive and insatiable need to abuse his ex, but that's just me.

I agree it's desperate, but I wouldn't call it "misguided" to make the trial public. It's largely worked in Depp's favor, and the backlash against Heard is immense. Even if he doesn't win in court, he'll probably be able to make a comeback; supposedly there's a sequel to "Beetlejuice" in the works, and he's going to join the cast

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

BabyRyoga posted:

Even with the Depp lawyers making a complete mockery of the Heard lawyers, it's a tough case to win from my understanding of how Defamation works, so it really is just to influence public opinion.

The point of a defamation case is public opinion, so good job figuring out the basics!

I have to laugh that people are constantly "pointing out" that this is about their reputations and public opinion, like Defamation isn't a charge of ruining someone's reputation and standing in the public eye. The money being asked for by both sides, is to pay for damages done to their careers by having their reputations trashed in public

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

any bets on who is going to "win" this contest? for teh watercooler, ofc

Oh, you're as trashy as the rest of us, you don't have to pretend

My personal prediction is Depp wins the suit but not the $50 million, and Heard loses her countersuit

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Long-Time Lurker posted:

I haven't read the entire thread yet, only the last couple pages, but I'm kinda surprised by the amount of people who either believe Depp or think both were abusive? Wasn't it already proven that the whole #IStandWithDepp thing was a disinfo campaign against Amber Heard? The sort of YouTube channels and terminally online people pushing that narrative should be telling enough.

Heard's PR team is pumping out dozens of editorials and running its own misinformation campaign, so the same can be said of you. You haven't watched the trial, so your opinion seems to be formed by the same kind of propaganda

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Long-Time Lurker posted:

This whole "Have you even watched the trial?" thing reminds me of when Jorp weirdos ask critics if they even read Jordan Peterson's books as if that made him sound better.

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just asking you: have you watched the trial? That's literally all I'm consuming, and the occasional lawyer armchair opinion about legal processes and repercussions. The whole trial is out there for you on several silver platters, you don't need to rely on second-hand gossip of propaganda to form your opinion

If it makes you feel any better, I'm a woman and a feminist. It's not like I believe that there's a silent epidemic of abused men out there, but sometimes women are abusers. I witnessed it first-hand in my family; my mom's sister attacked, bullied, and abused people her entire life, including her husband and my mom. Maybe I'm biased by my experiences, but I'm certainly not swayed by any pro-Depp media; I definitely don't like the guy, but I believe him a whole lot more

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Yaldabaoth posted:

If you're such a feminist then why are you attacking another woman instead of directing your anger at the people who are actually trying to oppress you? The system says that straight white republican men are the only true humans on Earth and everyone else is to be enslaved or exterminated, so you should be focusing your anger on straight white republican men.

I loving hate you and want you to shut the gently caress up, everywhere and forever. There will be no sincere engagement

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So can someone confirm which celeb I'm supposed to hate, I don't have the mental energy for this poo poo

Both of them, and ourselves

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Metis of the Hallways posted:

it'll make people much more afraid to speak out about being victims of domestic abuse because they could be sued for defamation and dragged through the mud

Yeah, that's what's going to happen, an epidemic of nobodies with no money suing each other for defamation. You nailed it

Edit: if you want to get into it, though: between Depp and Heard, only one of them has a history of broken friendships and domestic violence, and it's not Depp. Heard hit her ex-wife in public, struck her friend Rocky in the face a couple times, abuses her sister Whitney, and is unable to maintain friendships for more than a few years

Depp had a parade of ex-girlfriends come out in support. He also DIDN'T have the usual parade of alleged victims that always happens when a celebrity is publicly accused of abusive behavior

And I'm sorry, but Heard's claims are just unbelievable. She never had her nose broken, her feet didn't get shredded up by broken glass, a broken bottle of liquor did not penetrate her vagina, she didn't get her ribs bruised constantly. Not to mention she lied about the $7 million being donated, she lied about "wanting nothing" (except a car, three penthouses and $50,000 a month), she lied about working with TMZ, she lied about not wanting to publicize the TRO, and her evidence is mostly stories and recordings of her screaming at Depp (some of which contradict each other)

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 30, 2022

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

wearing my "#istandwithjhonny" pin at the watercooler convo's today.......... lots of high fives and head nods from teh office ladies

You had to work on Memorial Day? That sucks

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

tomorrow is World No-Tobacco Day and i'm not going to work

See, and I DO have to work tomorrow, lame

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Pararoid posted:

It's actually kinda scary how this was only posted as a rule in one of the biggest subforums 2 years ago,

and now we're apparently back to the original, decades-old status quo of EXCEPT THIS ONE CRAZY BITCH

Does "believe the evidence available in this specific case" work for you?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

I really wish that the people hand wringing about the BrOaDeR iMpLiCaTiOnS about not believing Heard, would actually address the reasons why so many people don't believe her. It's just, Believe her or you hate women

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

this thread is starting to feel like a reddit larp

Then leave, I don't know what else to tell you

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I hope that they manage to track down the gentleman who played Johnny Depp in Tim & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie for the next PirOTCar (Pirates of the Caribbean)

I've never seen any of the Pirates movies, but I would go see one starring imitation Johnny Depp

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Three Olives posted:

Congrats to the winners of this case, misogyny and weird celebrity worship.

It's misogynist to assume that a woman can't be violent and abusive, checkmate

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I dunno I feel like Johnny D's is a piece of poo poo who needs serious help but he also clearly got defamed and abused by someone who is also a piece of poo poo and needs serious help.

Why do you hate women so much?

Naw, I'm with you. I'm a woman and feminist whose family was abused by a female abuser, and Heard's "evidence" was unconvincing at best, manufactured at worst, but saying that means we're incels/alt-right/misogynists/brain-washed self-hating women, etc.

The trope that only self-hating women don't believe Heard has to die already. It's not about supporting Depp to me, it's about someone who made horrible accusations to get money and spite her ex--someone like my mom's sister, who advised her own husband AND my mom--being made to answer for those accusations

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Yaldabaoth posted:

Bringing up "Women can be shitheads too" is like saying "Black people can be shitheads too" during the civil war. It does nothing but hurts the cause of the minorities fighting for their rights.

I thought we all agreed you were going to shut the gently caress up and get out

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

tetsuo posted:

this is a bit, right? you're doing a bit?

Don't engage him, just tell him to shut the gently caress up and get out, this is just what he does now

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

weekly font posted:

Are you one of those people who thinks

Let me stop you there

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

weekly font posted:

They definitely think but this is like glimpsing into the thoughts of a golden retriever.

Golden retrievers have a thought process that makes sense, plus dogs are great. This guy sucks, for real don't engage him, just read through his post history and you'll see it's all trash

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Yaldabaoth posted:

I admit my views are extreme but it's hard to stay rational when the people on the other side of the spectrum are even crazier.

They're not "extreme, " they're terrible and unwanted and contribute nothing to the conversation but annoyance

"Oh, gee, you're pro-choice? Wow, there's no one like that on the forum." Dipshit

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Skeleton Ape posted:

Lol is everyone in here like 70 years old? Why do so many people think that guy is serious

If he's not serious, he's a dedicated troll who posts like this everywhere, and he should be mocked and chased out either way

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Remember that Matt Gaetz jumped into the Free Britney protests, these people will throw themselves into anything for attention

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Sooooooooo is the reason she never just says, "I swear to god I told the truth" because it might put her in further dubious legal territory after this verdict?

Because this reads like she's more or less abandoning her own purported innocence and pivoting into "the key issue of freedom of speech" (!)

The new thing is to make everyone feel guilty for not taking her side; apparently every Joe Shmoe charged for domestic violence will sue their victim for defamation. Because, as you know, part of the legal process is the op-ed every victim publishes in a national paper, everyone has money to sue/be sued for, and there will be a plague of lawyers taking on thousands of defamation cases every. Single. Day.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Fart Amplifier posted:

The last time she said she was abused it cost her 10 million dollars.

The whole Me Too movement was about how women weren't believed about sexual assault and how pervasive the issue is. This absolutely will have a chilling effect (especially in Hollywood)

Well, that's on her for lying

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Barreft posted:

Do the me too ppl here not know Heard said Depp raped her with a bottle?

Yeah, she lied. She lied about all of her injuries

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

So the judge is the one who requested cameras in the courtroom, and bless her because we got to hear the phrase "Amber Turd" repeated several times in a court of law. That's official now

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Cease to Hope posted:

i'm pretty sure the jury was like you: they liked funny memes and the charismatic actor more than the ugly fact that he beat her for years. it was foolish of her to think anyone would believe any amount of evidence.

She made outrageous claims of horrific abuse, and suffered none of them. Everything she said and did is suspect. That, along with the recordings and their marriage counselor's testimony which all showed that Heard was often the instigator and aggressor and the engine of their fights, doomed her. She shouldn't have lied

Edit: She also admitted in court she wrote the op-ed about Depp, so again: get mad at her for her own mistakes and lies

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Cease to Hope posted:

it rules, you can submit any number of pieces of evidence, any number of pictures of wounds and witnesses who back you up. you can even be honest about the things you did even when they reflect poorly on you, and none of it means a goddamned thing. it's all proof that it's a conspiracy to trick everyone into thinking the abuser isn't a sweetheart.

DARVO is the go-to strategy because it works like a charm, and people will eat up "Amber Heard STEALS Rihanna's abuse story!" youtube clickbait and convince themselves they're righteously punishing the witch

What rules is that a liar got caught out for manufacturing weak "evidence" to back up her outrageous claims. Heard didn't document her injuries, and said that she didn't need medical attention for any of her injuries. Also, no one remembers her being in pain, recovering from her many beatings or being unable to walk for a while because her feet were shredded up. She went on James Cordon's show looking and speaking perfectly for someone with a freshly-broken nose. She never needed to recover, she just got hurt and keep moving like she was in an action movie. When it comes to physical injuries like Heard is claiming, absence of evidence IS evidence of absence

As for Rihanna, I posted a link earlier of a video that compares Rihanna's description of Chris Brown, to Heard's description of Depp; you're welcome to watch and compare

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Cease to Hope posted:

she's never denied hitting him. she didn't accuse him of anything publicly until forced, and indeed sought to hide her injuries at the time. she sought to break contact with a TRO and then a divorce, not extend it long after by launching multiple lawsuits.

Lol, she tipped off TMZ about the TRO

She went in person even though she didn't need to be present to submit the TRO

She used the street entrance even though there's a more private entrance in a parking garage that wouldn't have required being on the street

She chose that day to not wear makeup to cover her "bruises," despite covering out literally every single other day

She published an op-ed in a national paper with a good amount of Nudge nudge wink wink the: Depp being the main abuser

Man, how DARE we force Amber's hand to be public!

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Cease to Hope posted:

high-functioning addicts get work, but he was not high-functioning. poo poo like this was coming out in 2008. the wifebeating was the capper on a long downward slide.

she testified she hit him when he hit her sister, and her sister testified that happened too. the distinction is that she admitted hitting him in self-defense or defense of her sister. that is hitting someone, but isn't assault.

you can believe whatever tremendously stupid thing you want, it's a free country

How often do you hit your friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Cease to Hope posted:

idk none of them have spent years hitting me or tried to hit my sister. i suppose i'd have to figure out how i'd navigate that maze when i come to it. hopefully never, based on how people treat victims.

You know that Heard has hit her ex-wife, at least one friend, and her sister. But tell us again that she's goodness personified and reasonable and would only strike at people in self-defense or over stemware for a party