Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'm liking this deck a lot, though i feel i'm not getting a lot of use out of angela. any suggestions for a substitute? i'm only a few cards into pool 3 and none of them seem particularly like a good 1-1 addition (adam warlock, drax, goose, human torch, maximus, nick fury, quake, and wong, plus season pass black panther and miles morales). shang chi seems like a good idea, though off-curve

also looking for a good suggestion of a destroy deck since that's one of the season missions right now (and maybe just a good pointer to where to look up some solid decks in general)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
is Klaw a trap? i get got by him a surprising amount of times on ladder and i think he'd be a reasonable pick to sub into my deck i posted upthread. mostly just thinking about play patterns of getting people in unexpected ways + trying to work around play patterns involving locations i can't play or move cards to. might just be a 'i need more cards from pool 3' situation and i should just evaluate my future pulls

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
wow, kazaar into ultron is a blowout. wish i'd known that was a thing before

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
hit 51, which is probably enough for tonight. glad i've found a deck i enjoy playing

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Reek posted:

what card do i need for me to be good at this game

credit card

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
well, that was a terrifying deck from my opponent

colleen wing, nakia, morbius, iceman, dracula, sword master, moon knight, apocalypse, and america chavez (idk what the last one would be)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I mean I'd really rather not ever hear what hoogland has to say about anything

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Maneck posted:

The location behaviour could match description if there was a check whether the card was played into Luke's, and if yes then leave a spot for the return. Don't all exploits follow the mechanics?

exploits are explicitly outside intended mechanics. that's why they call them exploits

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
on the plus side it gives incentive to run things other than the one deck you really care about, but on the other marvel snap seems to really like getting in the way of playing the one deck you really care about

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cartridgeblowers posted:

For some reason I haven't unlocked the Token Shop? I'm Collection level 1000-something and I've rebooted the game, my phone, etc. Anyone encounter this?

update the game

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Any particularly fun archetypes I should try out with this pool, or cards I should look for in the token shop?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Network42 posted:

Spectrum Destroyer is an archetype that really only needs destroyer out of pool 3.

Additionally, where is this collection manager coming from?

it's https://marvelsnapzone.com/collection/, which i started using in hopes of finding solid decks but mostly just finds me every possible way to put a deck together with no real quality filter

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think it does? i thought i saw someone pull it off when i was playing earlier

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Memnaelar posted:

This may seem a dumb question, but how do you know who has priority in any given round?

there's a shiny border up top around the player names for whoever's going first. it's painfully subtle for something that should be easily readable at a glance, like the turn timer

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

i'd rather turn gold into credits (either directly or with missions) to try to get collection level up to get more cards in general, personally

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think it's that mystique doesn't get an ability twice if she activates twice

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Drinkslinger posted:

Presumably this rules out cards that cost MORE than 6 - Hulk, Death, Crossbones etc?

you're thinking of the cards' power, not its cost. a card can't cost more than 6 in marvel snap

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
gameplans that telegraph what you're doing are tough to be really successful in this game because either the opponent has the counterplay to make it unsuccessful or they don't and just retreat before you go off with it. I don't think that makes those decks bad, just that you're rarely going to pop off with the deck in the way it has potential to do so & being unpredictable or misleading instead is likely a better choice

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tbh I just take it as a sign to either experiment with a different deck or just play something else that day once my quests are done

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think leader's in my top 3 for cards i want and don't have currently. it's wild how many strategies are just beaten by 'i play the exact same cards you just did, smile'

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Megazver posted:

Got my first Pool 4 - Maria Hill. Is she, like, good for anything? I can't think of anything exciting off-hand.

there's an archetype built around cards like the collector who really care about cards that didn't start in your deck. agent 13, cable, moon girl, etc. i don't think it really pops off unless you have the quinjet to discount them all, but it's worth keeping an eye on

edit: here's an example that looks fun, from here

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Memnaelar posted:

She Hulk in my shop but not sure she's worth all 3k of my tokens when my deck is so crap. Maybe better to save them for 3 wave 3 cards for the options?

i think she's a no-brainer to pick up, and a lot of cards that synergize well with her are in the first two pools

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it is pretty neat how the meta changes as you go up pools, and I miss that a bit. if you have an all pool 1 or 1+2 deck it should put you back in that matchmaking pool imo

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
warpath is one of the cards that makes your opponent have to think a bit about whether or not you're bluffing, and i put a decent amount of stock into any card like that given how central the snap mechanic is

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tender Bender posted:

I've started just playing cards wherever I feel like even before locations reveal, if it makes sense given the cards in my hand. I retreat at 1 cube often enough that I feel like it's worth it to start setting up my board state for a solid win, enough to risk the chance that site 2 or 3 gently caress me over and I lose a cube.

it's a gamble, but i feel like it depends on your deck and how well they can recover from revealing a 'cards can't be played' or similar location (i.e. do you have any cards that can generate cards at that location, or can move to it)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

WarpedLichen posted:

I kinda quit this game because snapping and surrendering are such a big part of the climb but most of the fun is seeing degenerate stuff happen.

If we're supposed to retreat every time what's the point?

snap earlier. if you snap on t5 and your opponent has to gamble between losing one cube because they believe you when you snapped vs thinking you're an idiot and lose 4, they're gonna pick 1.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

No Wave posted:

It does.

i know you've soured immensely on the game in the few months since you've started playing but you really don't have to push it that hard onto other people.

i didn't do any CL shenanigans or other fuckery and am at 1186 CL and i've been having a pretty fun and smooth time, even despite having fairly unlucky pool openings. i mainly just try to approach it like i approach other multiplayer games (especially card games) where if i know i'm tilting out i take a break, and i try not to grind too hard after i've finished my open missions so that i don't burn myself out + i advise other people to play similarly

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

rydiafan posted:

It is an absolute fact that the game protects you from the general pool of high CL gamers until you hit CL600, and after you got CL600 the gloves are off.

Whether that transition is frustrating and ruins the game for you is subjective, but its existence is objective.

the thing i'm arguing against is the fear of getting ultrastomped by people with all the cards, here. it's a transition point but it's not one that's unbeatable or something to fear, and intentionally limiting your progression is just going to feel worse in the long run IMO. just play the game and learn how to ride out matches and feel out the snap/retreat mechanics and you'll be fine

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ubersandwich posted:

I'm getting frustrated with the game especially today*, but I've also come to realize that some of that is the nature of "collectable" PvP card gaming. You are going to come up against people who have better decks and you WILL lose to them unless you are specifically built to beat them or they get a very lovely draw. This style of game is not fair by design, I think that's been the case since first edition of Magic: The Gathering. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I normally don't play the collectable variety of card games for this reason.

However, one of the advantages this game has is with as many games as we can play and the betting tactic, we can sort of gage our hands and manages our losses and play a fair number of games and get some wins. Ideally.

*But sometimes you have mornings like mine where you are getting THE location that fucks with your deck a ton even if it isn't featured, your counters stay in your deck next to your pay-off cards. It's part of the game but sucks horribly when it defines your session. I am finding myself playing this more like a mobile game: doing my dailies, loving around a little here and there when I have free time and then closing the app till the next set of missions come up.

usually the 'my deck is in a bad matchup' issue in competitive card games is solved by things like sideboards (letting you alter your deck slightly to improve the situation) and playing in best of 3 matches (smoothing out the effect of variance a bit)

this game feels like it's designed around individual matches not mattering much and emphasizing retreating out of matchups you feel like you won't win, which is a bit hard to get used to coming from MTG but is a lot more suited to mobile play. I did feel like it also takes a lot away from actual strategizing during gameplay while I was starting out, but with a larger cardpool available to me now that I'm in pool 3+ and more deck knowledge I'm feeling a bit better about that side of the game. still definitely booting up arena to get my fill of more complex gameplay, but I don't think I'm taking this off my phone anytime soon

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tender Bender posted:

I agree the emphasis on retreating helps with this but it's hurt by the algorithm trying to put you in mirror matches. The result is you're more likely to be playing "My Deck Archetype plus the cool cards I don't have". Want to try Discard? You're going to be face stomped by Ghostrider Hela until you unpack those cards. And so on.

tbqh i feel like that's not as much of an issue as people conjecture it is, but i have pretty strong opinions on people being pattern-seeking in games with variance and seeing signals in the noise, as well as anecdotally i don't see many mirror matches myself across a variety of decks (mainly an infinaut and a patriot one here). i don't doubt there's some sort of deck strength matchmaking that makes mirror matches a bit more likely than they would otherwise show up, but i also know people remember "interesting" games a lot more than they remember the dozen other games that ran "normally" as a rule

if you play on PC there's a tracker from https://marvelsnap.pro/ that, among other things, lets you see your archived run of matches and lets you poke at the data to try to confirm/debunk things you've been thinking about how you've been playing and the opponents you're facing. i wish the replays were better, but their data is getting there

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Oasx posted:

Are there any sites with guides for individual cards?
As a casual player I sometimes get cards where I have no idea why you would ever play them, like Typhoid Mary. And it would be good to get some ideas from people who know what they are doing.

i'm not familiar with any of the other sites, but i do know you can look up a card on snap pro and see what decks people run it in

usually your answer is going to be 'the card isn't very good,' but with mary specifically it looks like people run it with cards that either remove the downside (zero, enchantress) and other cards that have removable downsides (red skull, lizard).

she also has decent synergy with the hot location currently, since when the symbiote melts everyone together it takes the power while getting rid of the downside

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Banjo Bones posted:

Just opened She Hulk. Can she be good in a deck without Death? I have Wave.

she's good in almost every deck that can afford to take a turn off, or has to. look at infinaut/sunspot builds for ideas

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

goferchan posted:

For sure, although it's a little clunky making her work with Infininaut specifically. You have to play a T4 Psylocke and then float all 6 energy on T5 in order to play them both on T6, and at that point you've basically skipped two turns which can make it really hard to win without a very big Sunspot

yeah, i meant it more as inspiration. in early pools i had a moon girl/dino deck that had a destroy package for the early game, and if i picked up she-hulk i'd consider that and maybe death to get some good cheap duplication going

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i do wonder if there's any chance they'll make a pass and redo the pixel variants, but that's probably too much money sunk to completely redo

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ninurta posted:

Hmm, I guess I should remember to login on my phone more often. Got the 1k credits, piX-Bones and a 100 gold hype thingie. PC never gets squat.

i think it's just a problem with their pc port, which they're working on overhauling and making an actual client as far as i've heard

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Studio posted:

So let's say you're using Sunspot, Scarlet Witch, and She Hulk.
You play Sunspot on 1.
You play Scarlet Witch on 2, get the Pegasus Project. The energy circle at the bottom reads 5. Sunspot gains 5 damage.
You now have 8 energy to play on turn 3 (Pegasus + Turn 3). If you do nothing, Sunspot gains +8. She Hulk also only costs 1. Why is that Energy, only usable for a current turn, usable for an end of turn effect... twice?

i think you're hung up on the effect 'using the unused energy,' which i don't think is an inherently incorrect way to think about the ability but leads to the problem you're having conceptually. i'd reframe it as 'you ended your turn with X mana unspent' and both sunspot and she hulk are just looking at that X for their respective abilities

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
things i've just found out:

if you click the four pane button in the bottom left here in the first image you can set what variant you want in a deck by default by clicking the header above the one you like better. great if you (like me) spend a lot of time editing variants when importing a new deck to try. it even prompts you to replace all the cards in your decks with the new variant when you change favorites

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

the_american_dream posted:

Thank you for this. I was just swapping out in each deck

yeah, it's super useful and now i just have to remember to tab over there whenever i get a new variant

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
this is a pretty neat article, for people looking for deck ideas:

https://marvelsnapzone.com/top-series-3-only-decks-december-2022/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mattavist posted:

I’m ~1000CL and no matter what I do this is the best deck! It’s not even really a Pool 3 deck but stomps all over them all day long, what is going on here.

# (1) Ant Man
# (2) Mojo
# (2) Armor
# (2) Lizard
# (3) Mister Fantastic
# (3) Captain America
# (3) Cosmo
# (4) Warpath
# (5) Iron Man
# (5) Professor X
# (5) Klaw
# (6) Spectrum

this deck is fairly split between two wants -- your low end wants to be a board flood deck where you're aiming to get mojo value and flood spots, while your top end wants to be a spectrum destroyer sort of deck where you're playing fairly sparsely and trying to lock down locations. i'd try to pick one of the gameplans and stick to it