Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Give me more credits you stupid game; I have card to upgrade!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Red Rox posted:

I've been going from 57 to 56 to 57 to 56 around and around for like two weeks. Super fun!

Edit: finally made it to 58! Don’t want to play anymore in case I jinx it.

Edit 2: yup totally jinxed it back to 56

What kind of rank should I expect to have at the various collection levels? I'm at 52 right now and still haven't unlocked the Pool 3 cards.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 20, 2022

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So does it only match you with people in the same pools as you?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oooo, I got a Brood as my first card in the Collector's Shop. I can play a good-ish deck now!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There is nothing in this game more satisfying than my opponent snap retreating the moment Cosmo flips.

Sick zem comrade.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Leader is terrible because he makes you feel bad about playing your cards. That's just not good card game design, like on a base conceptual level.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Can someone help me understand WTF happened here?

His turn 4 was Blade (discarding Swarm) and Sword Master (discarding Apoc.)

My turn 4 was White Queen, and somehow she gave me Swarm? Huh?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Serperoth posted:

They lose when they try it on mine too :getin:

Patriot decks have given me the most trouble so far when playing Leader. My deck is missing some key pieces, but I don't think anything on my wishlist would help. Ultron isn't even required in a lot of situations. Patriot/Mystique not interacting with anything on the Leader side is nice, but honestly, I think Debrii is the best tool that deck has. Cludging up 3/12 slots with often useless rocks is huge against most decks.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

mirror123 posted:

As I inch higher in rank last few days I've noticed the gameplay doesn't change much but there's so much more BM emoting. I've never looked for a mute button until recently :(
"Snap?"
"Snap?"
"Snap?"

As a Hearthstone veteran, I am well-practiced with and recommend the reflexive mute at the start of every match.

Edit: it's hilarious that Ben Brode made another card game without an always mute option.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Serperoth posted:

I don't have Mystique or Debrii yet, so I'm making due with Ka-Zar and BM, but yeah, I once got Debrii played against me (or maybe it was from the location) and it was sweet. Less of a dead drop that Squirrel Girl it seems, since SG is just 1-power and doesn't get the Patriot buff, but at 3 it's not AS bad.

I think the only deck happy to see those rocks is another Patriot deck. And I guess maybe the Baero variant with Killmonger.

Also, on the topic of Leader, he is stupid.

I opened a Sera the other day and was eager to put her in my Suffer deck but after a few hours of play, I'd actually dropped a couple of ranks. Frustrated, I used the Leader I found in the shop a few days ago and put together the closest thing I could to the Dino Good Cards deck. I've shot up more than ten ranks since yesterday. His effect really should not be board-wide.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think I’ve beat almost every destroyer deck I’ve played against. 15 power doesn’t feel like enough payoff for the required setup.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

the_steve posted:

OTOH, I bet it feels good to watch them Leader your Destroyer and wipe their field.
At least, I know I feel like a big idiot when my Leader does it, so I'm sure they feel good about me losing the game for them.

I tend to develop into the location the armor, so I haven't had this happen so far. Maybe the list gets a lot better with Knull? Only deck I've run into playing him so far was a more generic destruction deck with Death at the top-end. Really, I think that's the core problem. If you're going to focus on destroying your own cards, she's just a much better finisher than Destroyer.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm sure Second Dinner picked Nick because they're fans of Mr. Jackson, but it is kind of a funny commentary on the game's monetization that their big Christmas gift is one of the worse cards in the game.

Don't fret, though, in just a few days, you'll be able to pay 39.99 for one of the best. Lucky you.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also stupid, Mister Negitive.

Six out of twelve of my cards came down on the final turn. And three of the existing cards were squirrels!

Like my leader deck, it's missing some pieces, but the interactions between Mr. N, Sera, and Surfer carry a lot of weight. I'm unsure if I hate this more or less than the Leader bullshit. At least with Leader, you only need one card to be a powerhouse, but Negative Surfer takes at least three Pool 3 cards plus Surfer from the season pass.

It's fun, but I feel like I kinda high-rolled finding all these cards in my first ~1k collector levels. I would be enjoying the game considerably less if I hadn't gotten lucky, and I feel bad for the people who didn't. They're stuck playing lovely decks and hoping against hope that the shop will bail them out.

If they can't balance the game well enough to keep four or five cards from conquering the meta, then they desperately need a way for newer players to access those essential building blocks that don't involve poo poo like this: https://marvelsnapzone.com/starlit-connection/

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

I like Mr Negative a lot but I feel he's pretty well balanced because a decent chunk of games have you just noping out because you didn't draw him before t4, or you already had your killer cards like Iron Man in hand. I don't have Magik though which seems like it'd really let him go to work.

The thing is, this game heavily rewards high-roll decks, especially ones that hide their equity until the final flip. It doesn't matter if you retreat from four games due to dead draws so long as you hit the nuts often enough to win snaps.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The biggest problem I'm running into is that around rank 80, the ladder turns into nothing but infinite card backs and perfectly tuned decks. At that point the two or three cards I'm missing weigh me down a lot more. Like not having Rogue to punk Dino or Bast to help bad opening hands suck a lot less.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

It absolutely should. The way it interacts with Death and She Hulk is broken in a way most ccg's require you to build an entire deck around, instead of just playing a single card. The fact that it also fucks with your opponent's hand is just icing on the cake.

After all the issues that mana acceleration caused in Hearthstone, it boggles my mind that this game has the same problem but only worse. Cost manipulation is the cornerstone of almost every good deck. Wave, Negative, Sera, Death, She-Hulk, etc. Patriot feels like the only remotely "honest" deck in the meta. And next season brings another, which I'm sure won't cause any issues.

I guess I shouldn't expect too much since it is a freemium phone game made to hoover up disposable income. It's just kinda funny to see Ben Brode making the same mistakes a decade down the road.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, the fact that you can run into infinite players so commonly, I started seeing them in the mid-60s, is an issue. Of course, the one thing they don't emulate that Hearthstone got right is siloing off players at the top of the rankings from the rest. They could really use something similar to the Legend rank.

Edit: I feel like I'm going to spend a lot of time complaining about this game. The base mechanics are a lot of fun, but there are so many rough edges. And that's not even touching on the microtransactions because that's a fight I gave up on eons ago.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And now I just got a Rogue from the shop. I do not like this system, even though it's favored me. At least in other card games you can spend some money to push through a run of bad luck and unlock the one or two key cards you need to make a deck possible.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I wouldn't feel too bad about it. Most players are probably snapping way, waaay more than they should. Here are a couple short videos that translate basic betting concepts to snap,

Poker Concepts in Marvel Snap

(Almost) Never Snap on Turn Six

JackDarko posted:

Depending on your deck, it might not be cut or dry if you’re going to win. I snap every time I have Negative on Turn 4, and I’m holding Sera. Exceptions are where my opponent has revealed I’m hosed. Wong with no cosmo, for example.

One thing I do find funny about this deck is how often people will T6 snap me thinking I'm unsure and hesitating. Like, no motherfucker, I'm doing math. It's hard!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 12, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tiger Millionaire posted:

It sucks I can't work towards the decks I wanna play! That Luke Cage - Hazmat deck looks like so much fun, but as I'm CL400 and I'm assuming those are season 4/5 cards I'm literally thousands of levels away of being able to play them, that feels bad!

This is, without a doubt, the most pronounced problem with a game. New players can look at all these cool cards being released but they are beyond unobtainable. When a new set comes out in MTG or Hearthstone, you can go buy a few packs or direct purchase the big hits. In this game, though, there are only two ways to obtain the newest (non-season pass) cards, and they suck;

1. a 0.25% chance to drop from Collectors Caches and Reserves
2. a 12.5 chance to appear in the token shop for 6000 Collectors Tokens

And keep in mind, that's for a chance of a random card out of a pool of ~10. Of course, eventually, these cards will work their way down to Pool 3, but the current timeline for that is five weeks. For a new or casual player, there is currently no viable path to playing the deck they want, and it's a crapshoot if they'll get the cards required for any decent deck, at all.

The game needs a much better system for players to target and acquire their desired cards. At the very least, something like the token shop should offer a rotating selection of three cards rather than one.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 27, 2022

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s basically just ‘pay $10 for the monthly pass’ or ‘pay $70 for a variant and some in-game currency’

There’s almost never anything in between

And more to the point, there is no ability to choose what you buy. It's all FoMO rotating shops bullshit. Like, dropping cash on card games is a storied tradition, but at least in others, you can pick your purchase.

Also, question, can bots snap? Cause this really looks like a bot. I guess maybe it could be a human, and he just didn't read the locations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

cirus posted:

This isn't always the right move, if you're seeing the Leech Leader deck you might want to get Death out on 5 instead of 6.

I think it's usually correct to wait as long as possible since a lot of the decks that run Leech also include Shang-Chi. It has the additional upside of denying information, which is always good.

Nate405 posted:

Yes, bots snap. From the screenshot, that looks like a bot. They have gold foil and black/white cards with no other effects. For a real player to get those backgrounds, they need to split the card multiple times which would guarantee some other effect.

Yeah, it was for sure a bot then. I saw all the normal signs but didn't know if they could snap.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

wyoak posted:

Leader is simultaneously good for the game and the most annoying card to see when it flips

They could tweak him to have less power and/or duplicate the base card (instead of post any buffs) and maybe it’d still be a good counter without being quite so dumb

Or hit him harder but also increase Death’s cost or change the way her cost decreases (friendly cards only? Idk)

If it were my job to fix Leader, I'd start by making his text, "On Reveal: Copy all cards your opponent played to other locations this turn, but on your side."

I don't know if that would be enough, but it would add more nuance to his positioning and make it harder to use his four power to tip a close location.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kaddish posted:

Getting back into Snap and I'm CL 529 and no really good pool 3 cards yet. I saw Rogue in the token store and bought it without really thinking about it. Now I see She-Hulk and I'll need 900 more tokens. Is that card pin-worthy?

I would say no. Unless you plan to drop a mint on one of the bundles that come with Collector's Tokens (like the Sunspot one going right now), then you likely won't have enough tokens a while. Napkin math, you have a 25% chance for 100 tokens in each Cache, and caches come every 12 CL. So you would expect to need ~430 CL to gain 900 tokens. In that same time span, you could keep an eye out for good P3 cards, and even buy two right now.

Here's a decent guide for which P3 cards are worth snapping based on what kind of decks and synergies you're looking to build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2_pHO3atOk

He doesn't use a conventional tier list, instead looking at how useful and flexible various cards are in meta decks. Like, Rogue was a good pickup. She doesn't define any archetype, but she is a very useful tech card.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

Started this not too long ago and doing pretty good I think made it to 42 so far. I'm guessing since the season appears to be ending soon I should save all this gold to refresh missions once the new season starts? Also can you get all the way through the season rewards if you just play the game like normal and finish all the season missions?

You'll miss out on some credits from the season reward, but you can still get most of the season rewards if you play a decent amount in the next few days. If you plan to play the game for a while, it's worth considering the $9.99 price tag just to put Silver Sufer in your collection. The season passes are the only time this game lets you buy non-randomized cards outright. If the pass card is a good one (and Surfer is) and you're planning to spend any money on the game, it's one of the better options.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kaddish posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info and link.

A prime example of Rogue being an absolute beast.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh thank god, the Pool 5 card I was waiting for appeared in the shop. Now I can pin it and stop looking at the store three times a day for the next few weeks.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Walla posted:

On the subject of weird interactions, the location that doubles your cards power doesn't double the power of Hulkbuster. It does double the power of whatever card it merges with though.

Yeah, the Hulk Buster sequence is weird. When you play Hulk Buster its On Reveal removes it, then adds its power to and replays the other card.

They really need to do an editing pass on the various keywords to make it clear what interactions are happening when you "play" a card.

Studio posted:

I think Professor X might be a cube trap. I win a decent amount of games with him, but it's almost always causes a concede since turn 5 is when the Big Plays get made.

If you have any Turn 5 play that swings the game, you gotta snap before it comes down. Leech is probably the best example. If you want more than one Cube out of that guy, you gotta get your bet in early, cause it's unlikely the other guy is sticking around.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 29, 2022

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Walla posted:

I wish the game would stop advertising the Sunspot bundle since it's not on sale anymore. It's not in the store on Android anyway. This line in the sand bundle is tempting, but I don't think I want to spend $20 for Spider Man and Sandman.

I made it to Rank 40 tonight! I've been using the extremely basic support deck I posted earlier. Having multiple 4 and 5 cost cards for multiple win conditions seems to work well.

You can't see the Sunspot bundle until you're CL 500 or higher.

Edit: of, if you're over it just says SOLD, yeah.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Walla posted:

That explains it. I'm only 341, and I don't think I'm gaining 160 more in 4 days.

You could by spending a chunk of gold to buy credits and accelerate your CL growth. Of course, the bundle itself costs 6,000 gold, which you're unlikely to have unless you've already spent a fair bit.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

the_steve posted:

Yeah, Cosmo can go gently caress himself, but I do enjoy that art.

Cosmo is a good boy. Unlike Leech and Leader, he requires consideration beyond just slam and jam. Gotta have a good sense of where your opponent wants to play their big On Reveal cards, and you gotta make sure you don't accidentally lose the game by shutting down your own.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Galactus when he comes down on 6 feels okay, but Galactus on any earlier turn loving blows because they'll have at least one other 6-drop to load up that location. I think the only time I've beaten a pre-6 Galactus is when I had negative Iron Man in hand.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

uXs posted:

KNEEL BEFORE GALACTUS

No no no, it's Galactus before Knull. The other way round doesn't work.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I’m need Mystique so bad. She’s the main card I’m missing from Negative, Patriot, and Cerebro.

Push El Burrito posted:

I got Surfer now! I don't know what to do with him but I got him. Don't really have any way to mass deploy 3s.

Even if you don’t have the cards to make him good this instant, he is a solid investment. After this season ends he’ll be joining Pool 5 and’ll be lot harder to obtain.

What is your current collection level?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Quackles posted:

Is there anything I can do if I don't have Psylocke or Rogue? I heard Psylocke is key to the deck, so without her or Jane Thor (for regular negative) my Negative will continue to gather dust.

Bishop can swap in for Rogue. Psylocke doesn't have a real replacement. Being able to Mr. N or Sera a turn early is very powerful, so you'll lose something without her. Really, the deck's core is,

Bast
Psylocke
Brood
Mystique
Silver Surfer
Mr. Negitive
Sera

Each of those cards offers a unique effect that can't be easily subbed out. That doesn't mean it's unplayable, mind, but each missing piece will lower the power and consistency.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jedit posted:

Psylocke enabling Sera on 4 isn't as big as playing her on 4 to give you two 6-energy turns in the games where you don't play Neg.

Uhh, that's what I said? Unless you mean Sera is more important to the deck than Psylocke, in which case I agree. Surfer, Negative, and Sera are probably the three most important cards.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jedit posted:

No, I meant playing Psylocke on 4 to give you double 3s on 5 and 6. Apologies for the confusion.

I think Psylocke on 3 into Sera on 4 is better. Rather than two turns with 6 energy, you get two turns with -1 cost on all your cards.

Either way, no question that Psylocke does a lot for the deck.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

At 330 right now. Of all the cards said I have... Bishop.

I got to rank 48 and ever since it seems like I've only won maybe 10% of the games I've played. Down to 43 now and everyone seems to just be hard countering any decks I try. But I'm still grinding, baby.

Oh, so you're still unlocking Pool 2. Yeah, at that stage, you're not going to have any of those cards except Surfer, as they're all Pool 3+. For an early Pool 1-2 Surfer deck, you want something more like, uhh,

Domino
Silver Surfer
Bishop
Wolfsbane
Mister Fantastic
Storm
Captain America
Cosmo
Groot
Killmonger
Iron Man
America Chavez

Tender Bender posted:

Lol I didn't realize some of these bundles are cash only, gently caress off.

Sunspot seems like good value for my gold, are there any upcoming datamined ones? I'm sitting on like 7k gold

Nothing past the new year currently. Persumably since all the Devs are on their holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TengenNewsEditor posted:

for a moment i thought i had sera in the store, i hate the anime bundle

If I were rich or could do it for free, I would play decks made entirely of anime or pixel variants.