Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i choose to believe haalands flimsy body will be destroyed effortlessly against everton or something next season and he'll end with 11 goals in 28 appearances and then we'll have 6 months of hearing about how it takes a year to get used to pep's system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

city are so loving annoying. julian alvarez is gonna be back with them this next time and he's apparently scored 6 goals in a libertadores match lol

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

are chelsea really going to tell kante to get out not even one entire year after i had to hear endless talk about how good he was and why he was the reason they won the CL lol

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bro how is this poo poo still going on. how do they just keep signing people despite not being allowed to. its nuts

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

liverpool shoudl sell salah alongside mane and just call next year a wash. theres a loving world cup in the middle of things so its gonna be weird as hell anyway. buy that canadian kid thats good in france or whatever idk

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

hes genuinely pretty good no?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i have quite literally no idea why every club is seemingly enamored with scammaca

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

you laugh now, but will you be laughing when wales inevitably crash out in the group stages? probably

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Total Meatlove posted:

They’ve always got out of their group though

well "always" it was like 60 years ago

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

TheRat posted:

I feel like Liverpool spending 85mil on a player with 1 good season is very out of character.

yeah i'm not super enamored with this transfer tbh but it looks like its gonna happen so i hope i'm just proven wrong

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

arsenal will forget about the bad days with pepe and auba and co pretty shortly because their current forwards are legitimately quite good and all like 14 years old so they're only going to get better

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

sounds like nunez has a medical tomorrow. not totally sure how i feel about this transfer, feels a little bit like keeping up with the joneses in a bad way. hopefully he scores a lot of goals though its been ages since liverpool have played with a real striker. kinda think a midfielder is needed more than another forward tho

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i really despise barcelona and hope they dissolve

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

madrid too i'm sick of those pieces of stealing cl titles

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i sincerely think bayern are going to be very happy with mane. he's excellent and if he can carry his last 6 months of form going forward he's easily one of the best players in the world. i had a friend that support bayern munich tell me he'd get frustrated from time to time with lewa's lack of involvement in some matches and you really wont see that with mane, even when he's off form he still puts in outrageous effort

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

TheRat posted:

Wasn't his drop in form before that related to long covid, or was that just an internet myth?

i have no real idea, but there was genuinely a few months where he was on the wing where he would run with the ball toward the corner flag, ineffectually cut back and then just run into a defender. i've got a friend on discord who tells me his Advanced Stats were still good during that time but when watched it was like he had literally no idea how to actually get something done lol

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

greazeball posted:

It can be both. The Premier League and the Championship both disallow loanees from playing against the lending club, there's no contractual clause that will allow it. UEFA, on the other hand, have said that 'any "private contract" between clubs which might influence the other's team selection is "null, void and unenforceable so far as Uefa is concerned", with any attempt to enforce such a clause a "clear violation" of the regulations, which would prompt sanction' (from an article about the Courtois match in 2014). La Liga has no stance on the issue so most clubs put the 'this player can't play against us' clause in the loan agreement, but Real Madrid removed it from their loans in 2019.

All the info is from this blog, so grain of salt and all that, but he does note that Bayern have benefitted the most from loans scoring goals against their parent club in the CL and has videos too. Coman against Juventus, Rodriguez against Real Madrid and Coutinho against Barcelona.

coutinho scoring 2 vs barcelona was genuinely one of the funniest football moments i've ever seen. what a farce of a club

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i thought milan were rich now or something. indian billionaires or redbird idk theres too much stuff to remember

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Who else is gonna pay him that much though lol. Madrid or City, maybe. No one else has that kind of money. And that’s not even including the transfer fee.

psg's front line is looking a bit thin

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

ten hags apparent strategy of purchasing an eredivisie team is sure to work out

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Jippa posted:

Spurs seem to be close to buying richarlison and loaning clement lenglet from barca.

richarlison is loving terrible

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

barcelona are taking out a mortgage on their future tv revenue to up their bid on lewandowski from 35m to 40m and still get no answer from bayern munich

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Reek posted:

It's starting already and I'm here for it

epic scenes as he averages 1 goal every 4 games but puts in a great performance at rolling around a dozen times in the 65th minute while drawing to brighton or w/e

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

can chelsea afford ronalds wages without roman

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

TheRat posted:

Just what chelsea need, another forward who can't finish

i maintain that the miss vs lyon is legitimately the worst i've ever seen given the quality of chance and moment necessary

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

What happened to Sterling? A couple of years ago it feels like it would have been unthinkable for City to sell him at all much less let him go to a competitor.

hmm... pep getting rid of sterling, ake, fernandinho in one window.... what could be the commonality...

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

trem_two posted:

Sid Lowe posted an article early today that allegedly explains Barca's short term financial situation, aka "how are they getting away with this?", but since it's Sid Lowe it faffed around for a few paragraphs without getting to the point and I gave up reading it.

if theres any interest i could do a thread on their annual report when its out in english. i read through the 20/21 one and its fairly grim, but its hard to tell how much worse it is due to COVID. barca also have a bunch of long-term debt becoming current within the year and its not like this is a particularly great time to restructure that lol.

for a heuristic, apparently their debt is bbb-, which is one step above junk

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

will bremer finally move

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Mickolution posted:

Obviously, they've been terribly run and haven't been looking to the future for ages, but realistically how are they not hosed by selling off future TV rights? Is this purely to keep them afloat in the short term and they'll be in bigger trouble down the line or do they have any sort of plan to raise money by selling off naming rights or the training ground or something?

They're not necessarily "hosed" in the future from what I can tell, but they're also not in a good place

Barcelona are facing 2 issues at the same time.

1 - short term. Basically, La Liga has some relatively strict rules on registration and wage caps based on p/l, and barcelona's losses were/are bad enough that they are having difficulty literally registering players, as in the app that la liga clubs do it through legitimately will not allow them to click the button to register kessie and co. to solve this, they need cash now so losses don't look so bad, hence selling assets like future tv revenues and the merchandise wing.

2 - mid to longer term: they have a shitload of debt, a lot of which is coming current soon-ish, and interest rates are going up worldwide + barcelona have a pretty poo poo credit rating. this one, ironically, isn't as bad as bullet point 1 because for whatever reason, all spanish speakers on earth that don't support real madrid are more than happy to throw money at the club no matter what they do. if barcelona normalize their cash flow they're probably completely fine within a few years and able to handle the debt they have, just cuz they legitimately make so much loving money.

the above relies on the idea that they wont start handing out 500k/w contracts to jermaine defoe knockoffs or whatever again, which is a big ask for this club, but my genuine opinion is that they'll be completely fine within a few years, even if they're playing with an absurd amount of fire right now. to me, it feels wild to pump this money into player acquisitions, which as a business strategy, feels ludicrously variable (what if lewandowski snaps his leg in half against levante or whoever) and not really worth it (the prize money difference for 1st or 2nd in la liga is minor, they should be high enough quality to get out of the group stages before most of these transfers in the CL, etc. and i don't really consider raphina and co. like some insane marketing opportunity)

were also now in a world where shutdowns are a much bigger possibility than they were pre-COVID, so while of course that was a black swan event, once you see one of those it's more likely you'll see another. but i guess then you get into political question territory, i cant imagine most of the world would handle large scale shutdowns again so even if there was a reason to do it, who knows if it'd actually happen

i'm still waiting on the annual report to see audited numbers, but overall: condition is really bad, they're gambling a lot to normalize things, but in most circumstances they should be fine

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I mean Lewandowski is absolutely gonna continue being a goal machine for at least another two years, so I don’t think pulling out all stops to register him is that bad or shortsighted an idea.

It’s the other signings that make little sense to me. Do they really need a Raphinha more than they need De Jong? What’s Kessie to them that they’re willing to forgo future TV revenues?

That said if they win La Liga next season they’re almost definitely going to be a-okay afaik, so maybe we’ll all just have eggs on our face then.

from a business point of view, there's really not a whole lot of difference between winning la liga and coming 2nd. i don't really buy the argument that there's a world of different marketing opportunities if they happen to win, which is sometimes put forward. i would reckon barcelona's ability to secure advertising contracts would be roughly equal whether they come in 1st or 2nd. its the CL where they kinda NEED to get out of the group stages, and it was pretty bad for them that they didn't last year, but i'm also of the opinion that the transfers in the winter window should be enough to get them to the knockout stages (and similarly, i'm of the opinion that even with Lewa and Kessie and them, they're still not serious CL contenders at this point)

part of whats tempering my opinion on them is that they are legitimately great at making money. revenues for barcelona are huge, bigger than any english club. if the fans werent rabid monsters, the smartest thing to do IMO would be live with coming in 2nd to madrid for a few years and just reaching the CL knockouts and maybe winning a copa del rey and then start investing once it's clear we're beyond the worst of the debt issues (and once espai project is completed). but the democratic nature of the club means that this is impossible, if laporta isn't making big signings there's going to be a billion spaniards online calling for the election of whoever the enron CEO was

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Wazzerphuk posted:

Fulham have signed Israeli international winger Manor Solomon - apparently you can sign anyone you want who plays in Ukraine without paying? The official site doesn't mention that it's a loan but Wikipedia does, and the wording everywhere else says that he's "suspended" his contract with Shakhtar Donetsk, so maybe he'll be going back later? idk m8. However I will NOT be bolding this, since he can't be registered until August anyway and the whole thing sounds very complicated. But here he is wearing the lovely pink shirt:

I hope he NOSE what he's doing

We're also being linked with Kevin "Extremely Vic Reeves Voice" Mbabu, which will make me laugh every time he's mentioned

iirc non-ukrainians can unilaterally suspend their contract until, i believe, june 2023 which is why its considered a "loan". i guess nobody knows if ukraine will still exist at that point for them to go back and play within

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Hegay posted:

How can Barca sign Lewa, Pablo Torre, Andreas Christensen, Francl Kessie with Azpi and Alonso rumored but they're not willing to pay Frenkie de Jong the salary he deferred lol

its built on a house of cards and i'm genuinely loving praying some stupid poo poo happens in teh CL group that ends with them going bust

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Hegay posted:

The Spanish "tax payer" probably ends up with the bill. Also hello friend, hope life is well.

as to you my man, i got a sick new job about 3 months ago so i can say things own a lot lately

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

let liverpool have kessie for free

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

thats the kid that ran to give taa the ball for the corner against barcelona

edit: alright responding to posts before reading the rest isn't a great idea

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

curried lamb of God posted:

I thought so too, but PSG apparently had a real shot at him

the biggest sign for me that tchouameni has his head on straight is that he decided to avoid the clown show of psg, i'm sure it was tempting but i genuinely have to imagine madrid are better for his career, which feels weird to type

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

it would be cool if liverpool signed a midfielder so the options aren't entirely (1) 30+ year olds running on fumes (2) 30+ year olds whos hamstrings are suggestions rather than facts or (3) children

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

Well Salah plays on the right and Saka has often been deployed on the left even if he has flourished on the right so I think it could be pretty lethal honestly. I just hope it doesn't happen. Basically if Arsenal don't get 4th and champions League with 2 years left on his contract I can see his head being turned. If not by Liverpoo then someone else.

if liverpool's next two purchases are not midfielders i will lose my loving mind. seriously, here are the options in the squad rn:

elliot: best midfielder lately, also a child
jones: also a child, not that great, injured pretty commonly
carvalho: also a child, supposed to be a forward
henderson: has not been good for about 18 months, cannot play 90 minutes twice in 7 days anymore
fabinho: has not been good for about 6 months, one of the few i actually have faith in to be good going forward though
thiago: injured literally 60% of matches
milner: 600 years old
keita: injured literally 75% of matches

its genuinely insane that they're seemingly refusing to address this in the hopes of a superstar bid for jude bellingham who will inevitably go to city/madrid anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

FullLeatherJacket posted:

still lolling every day that once you cross out PSG bullshit, and despite all of the clown prices this summer, Aston Villa still have the most expensive footballer in the history of the sport

(followed by Joao Felix, Griezmann, Grealish, Lukaku > Chels, Dembele, Pogba, Hazard > Madrid, Ron > Juve, and Bale)

ten bad players

it genuinely is pretty remarkable how dogshit most of the Super Expensive Transfers have been overall