Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

My role isn’t even that powerful, I lucked into a very helpful result but normally I wouldn’t even know who the investigator was visiting and they both have to die and me be alive for it to come into play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

I need to at least try and prevent Hal winning here. Motherfucker just won goose game this way.

What way is that?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sandwolf, sorry, is your theory that I am a redirector and that the medium role is a complete lie and I just correctly guessed that a PGO killed tpink and not some third party?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hal Insandenza posted:

What way is that?

By slipping through the game dodging everyone’s suspicion!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hal Insandenza posted:

My role isn’t even that powerful, I lucked into a very helpful result but normally I wouldn’t even know who the investigator was visiting and they both have to die and me be alive for it to come into play

There are like 4 investigative roles in this game, if everyone had claimed D1 and just organized with you, you’d be able to check the entire game before they could kill anyone

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

There are like 4 investigative roles in this game, if everyone had claimed D1 and just organized with you, you’d be able to check the entire game before they could kill anyone

Lol I claimed D2 and we murdered both the remaining investigative roles during the day so that plan seems like maybe it wasn’t going to work

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hal Insandenza posted:

Lol I claimed D2 and we murdered both the remaining investigative roles during the day so that plan seems like maybe it wasn’t going to work

Oh yes I’m sure Opop accounted for that by giving town a role that allowed investigations to survive their investigator.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

Oh yes I’m sure Opop accounted for that by giving town a role that allowed investigations to survive their investigator.

Sigh.

Ok let me humor your.

Four investigative roles, one of which is a scum investigative role, so three town investigative roles.

Scum have a JOAT with unknown powers, but potentially something to mess with investigations, a role enforcer who we don’t know what does but could also be altering investigative results, and in a world where you are town they also have a redirector who obviously messes with investigations.

So you think Opop would be so worried that I would claim D1, all the town investigative roles would also claim and then claim their targets in thread and the scum would not know how to use their powers to mess with us so he would never create such a role.

If you aren’t scum you really need to stop wasting so much energy to force me into your scum read that is based on some meta vendetta you have

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I don't think Opop cares much about HOW his games go, he definitely balances things a bit on the fly, and you know that Hal.

but OK let's say you're not the last scum, do you think it's DB?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I think it’s you! The only thing in your favor is your vote on grandi and DB I think also voted grandi.

I will reread DB though before I vote

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hal Insandenza posted:

I think it’s you! The only thing in your favor is your vote on grandi and DB I think also voted grandi.

I will reread DB though before I vote

Okay well you’ll have to forgive me if i don’t find this particularly persuasive man, it feels really weird to try and reckon with me “if you’re not scum you need to start thinking” and then also call me scum.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Hal Insandenza posted:

Ehhhh fine probably doesn’t matter at this point

My role is medium, I get the result of any investigator who dies that night

So I got two results, “target is a pgo” and “target goes nowhere” so it was pretty clear from the flips that tpink the role enforcer was at least partly a rolecop and most likely Nep Nep visited the pgo who went nowhere

Quoting this to look back at later.

Sand did you ever flavor claim?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Maerlyn posted:

Quoting this to look back at later.

Sand did you ever flavor claim?

Eugene victor tooms, vanilla Town

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
That's the perfect claim for Sandwolf to me because I could actually see it. I respect Lotus enough to not overlook what seemed to be an overt "gun haver" result on Sandwolf though. I mean someone smarter than me is going to have to really lay out a sensible alternative for why Lotus would post this:

Lotus Aura posted:

Sandwolf is a killer, man.

If you trust that, ##vote Sandwolf.

If you don't, vote me.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Dick Bastardly posted:

That's the perfect claim for Sandwolf to me because I could actually see it. I respect Lotus enough to not overlook what seemed to be an overt "gun haver" result on Sandwolf though. I mean someone smarter than me is going to have to really lay out a sensible alternative for why Lotus would post this:

I dunno, honestly, it could have been a redirector, could be a millerize action, I don’t know. I know Opop doesn’t really give results unless he has to, though, which is why I presume I wasn’t told anything weird happened to me.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I feel like the obvious choice here is to vote Sand, who Lotus gave a scum result on, and it just occurred to me that if there was a scum redirector they couldn't do the kill and redirect Lotus' result at the same time right? I don't see how if it were Hal for instance, he could kill binus and change Lotus' gunsmith to point at himself (Lotus thinking they scanned Sand and giving a false positive). I don't know if I'm thinking about that correctly.

There's a part of my brain that wants to believe it's DB but I can't explain the result Lotus received if that were the case.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Sorry Sandypants, if you're not scum then I have no loving idea, the only firm read I've had all game was Shell but I have to go with the gunsmith result: ##vote Sandwolf

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

VT sucks for this cuz I just have no idea what other kinda roles are in this, we’ve had tracker and JOAT but also a PGO survivor and a ‘role enforcer,’ whatever that is. I get why there’s suspicion on me but I really think it’s Hal who just nailed the fakeclaim.

And whoever is scum here deserves an award. Ok maybe I’d be a little salty if it’s DB, no offense.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Maerlyn posted:

I feel like the obvious choice here is to vote Sand, who Lotus gave a scum result on, and it just occurred to me that if there was a scum redirector they couldn't do the kill and redirect Lotus' result at the same time right? I don't see how if it were Hal for instance, he could kill binus and change Lotus' gunsmith to point at himself (Lotus thinking they scanned Sand and giving a false positive). I don't know if I'm thinking about that correctly.

There's a part of my brain that wants to believe it's DB but I can't explain the result Lotus received if that were the case.

I was reading DB and getting worried because his post history isn’t so hot, but I forgot about this fact.

So yeah, sticking with what I’ve felt since the beginning of the game, ##vote Sandwolf

Hopefully this isn’t some bamboozle from Maerlyn…

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Hal Insandenza posted:

I was reading DB and getting worried because his post history isn’t so hot, but I forgot about this fact.

So yeah, sticking with what I’ve felt since the beginning of the game, ##vote Sandwolf

Hopefully this isn’t some bamboozle from Maerlyn…

Same (on rereading DB and not liking it much).

I feel good about Hal, if I was wrong Sand can A) say I told you so, and B) I'll join him on the next anti-Hal crusade.

I've been absurdly honest for a self aligned player I think. I hope you have been too.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I suck at mafia as scum and/or town, none offense taken. ##vote Sandwolf

maybe the real offensively bad mafia players were the friends we made along the way

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
:redhammer:

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Congrats on what I assume to be your win Maerlyn, hopefully I will be enjoying it with you...

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sandwolf, Eugene Victor Tooms, Town Aligned Vanilla, was kill- No, just kidding

Sandwolf, Fox Mulder, Mafia Aligned Vanilla, was killed D4

Dick Bastardly, Edmond Peacock, Town Aligned Vanilla, and Hal Incandenza, Luther Lee Boggs, Town Aligned Medium, have saved the earth

Maerlyn, Alex Krycek, Self Aligned PGO, has survived to endgame and wins with town

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Well that game definitely did not go how I expected to go but I can't say I'm disappointed.

I'm surprised nobody remembered the enforcer. Sharky made it for Mafia Mafia and I loved it and have used it a few times since. It's a combo Cop/Jailer, so the modification here was to make it a rolecop. Fun fact, that also should have made Maer untargetable and saved Nep but I messed up!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sorry Wolfie, you’ll never defeat me

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
GG.... But executing both cops.....? Siiooghhh.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I swear I say this a lot recently, but goddamn this game ruled. :allears:

Bizarrely I think I found D2 more tense and stressful than D1? Somehow?

Also now that it has straight up backfired twice in a row, I think I'm going to ignore any arguments that are functionally just "but could these two really both be Town??" setup spec in the future. :sweatdrop:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Lotus Aura posted:

I swear I say this a lot recently, but goddamn this game ruled. :allears:

Bizarrely I think I found D2 more tense and stressful than D1? Somehow?

Also now that it has straight up backfired twice in a row, I think I'm going to ignore any arguments that are functionally just "but could these two really both be Town??" setup spec in the future. :sweatdrop:

Yeah... ops. I did think Toal was scum tbh, you... I should have seen. You played a great town game.

In retrospect killing you made zero sense, you'd be missing one day to win. So apologies for not reasoning that earlier. D3 lunch should have been Sand.

I'm happy to win with Maer as survivor, tho, and also good that my call to utterly trust her in the end didn't backfire...

Game was fun as hell! Sorry if I misled people with speculation, and also sorry I ate the thread at times :V. Thanks Opop!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hal Insandenza posted:

Sorry Wolfie, you’ll never defeat me

Everything I said about you is true though Hal, I don’t know why you’re unkillable, you did almost nothing that townie this game, I don’t get it!! Curse you, Robot House!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
This game had an insane setup too Opop. Very risky, we're lucky it got to mylo with 1 scum.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Thank you for running Retro Futurini. sorry for being too busy/lazy to post more everyone but great job and thank you for not killing me, I don't survive to the end and win with town often.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

Everything I said about you is true though Hal, I don’t know why you’re unkillable, you did almost nothing that townie this game, I don’t get it!! Curse you, Robot House!

Well I did call you and grandi scum from D1 and claimed a role that gave town helpful info but then I kinda just cruised I suppose

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sandwolf posted:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Toalpaz posted:

This game had an insane setup too Opop. Very risky, we're lucky it got to mylo with 1 scum.

Grandi dying D1 definitely threw the balance off

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Opopanax posted:

Did you always intend the Jail to die to PGO? I was under impression it was like the one role that could prevent that interaction.

YW DB, happy to give you a win. Hal, I just think you’re neat.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Opopanax posted:

If you had given me any night action tango abilities I could have won this

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sandwolf posted:

Did you always intend the Jail to die to PGO? I was under impression it was like the one role that could prevent that interaction.

YW DB, happy to give you a win. Hal, I just think you’re neat.

Yeah I'd consider a passive role to take precedence over an active one. Like if maer had been naturally untargetable, the jail wouldn't make her visible, her role would kick in first. Same here.
I haven't used a pgo in over a decade though so I probably didn't think through each role that deeply, I just don't like how squishy 3p tend to be

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sandwolf posted:

If you had given me any night action tango abilities I could have won this

That's one thing I definitely rethought, if I were to run this exact setup again I'd have grandi's role shared between you both instead of just letting his role be used on you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Fun game, thanks opop. I'm bummed that both grandi and I kicked it on D1, but that's the way it goes with PGOs and luck of the draw sometimes. I thought Sandy did a super job carrying on after that, and I am bummed we didn't get to be scumbuddies more! I have ... questions about the town lunching two claimed investigative roles, but it made for fun reading after I died. :)