Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I hope they replace all currency with bitcoin, just to upset the olds to the maximum possible extent

I hope they replace every picture of The Queen on coins with Hello.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

jiggerypokery posted:

Lol is there a football happening at the moment? I actually had no idea

There are some Nations League group matches happening, if that's what you mean.
I'm not sure anyone except the most tunnel-visioned of fans gives a poo poo about the Nations League, though.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Lungboy posted:

Scotland Vs Ukraine and now Ukraine Vs Wales are the last of the delayed World Cup qualifiers from a while back.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that match.
I assume Wales are going to follow Scotland's example and just roll over and die for the good PR

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Alongside her other duties the Queen spends a huge amount of time travelling around the country visiting hospitals, schools, factories and other places and organisations.

Huh, when I do that they call me a vagrant

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's definitely getting near the time where I'll start getting weird looks for wearing a mask on the train/tube/bus, but I've been consistently travelling on public transport since the start of the pandemic and haven't caught the rona yet.
And this is with having direct, face-to-face contact with children for over a year without wearing a mask.

It turns out that kids spread germs a lot less easily than full-loving-grown adults.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Mebh posted:

I'm pretty sure the Russian troops know the way back to loving Russia

I think there's a greater-than-50:50 chance that the soldiers of Captain rank and higher know how to go back home, but I'd be skeptical that the grunts do.
Given how the war has been described in Russia, there's a fairly decent chance that Pr. Alexey Nurmatov thinks he's fighting a ground battle to secure Rylsk rather than Buryn (to choose two arbitrary towns a similar-ish distance from the pre-war border).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The funniest timeline involves a new General Election, if only because Labour can't afford a General Election.
I'd love to read centrists' articles about how, actually, running a General Election campaign on no money is really the pinnacle of political purity and why losing to possibly the most hated governing party in over 30 years is a good thing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

DickEmery posted:

I have realised that what I now want to see, more than anything in the world, is a Leadership debate between Raab, Truss and Dorries

Sadly, I think even other Tory MPs are aware of how astonishingly thick Nadine Dorries is.

/\ /\ /\
The BBC's coverage of the Tube strike today was so wildly hysterical in tone you'd have thought that no other methods of transport were available.
Remember that the BBC reports on politics by just retweeting or doing a copy/paste on a message they've been sent by Boris' chief of staff.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 6, 2022

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

TACD posted:

lol he's not going to care. when he first got in didn't he lose something like 8 votes in a row and set a new record in the process?

Looks like someone's digging up the Magic Money Tree TM again

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

These days it's usually a block contract where the hospital/department gets paid a set amount (based on an estimated number of cases) by the commissioners. As I recall this is renegotiated every few years (five?) so if there's a sudden jump in demand you could be seeing 2x the number of referrals incoming for the same amount of money. It really incentivises dealing with patients as quickly and "efficiently" as possible (ideally by never letting them darken your door in the first place). As you might imagine, this leads to a whole new set of equally troublesome issues.

Referrals to our service have gone up by 40% compared to pre-Covid. We were more or less on top of things before Covid, but the impact on the quantity of work we could do during Covid, combined with the increase in demand for our service post-Covid, combined with a national staffing shortage partially caused by the Tories being loving incompetent... means that we are very much not on top of things now.

/\ /\ /\
I work in Community Paediatrics and if a parent asks me whether they should go private to get their child assessed for autism or ADHD, my answer is almost exactly "Yeah, if you can afford it".
You could wait 2-3 years for your child to get a diagnosis of autism (or not), or you can pay £1200-£1800 and almost always get a diagnosis.
Or you could try to slog your way through the CAMHS triage process and hope the referral for ADHD assessment gets accepted (nationally, I've read that 30% of referrals are accepted, but it's way loving lower than that in my area).

It's loving criminal, because it utterly discriminates against the poorest in society who can't afford it. And yet, if the child is on my caseload, I have a duty to the parents to tell them to make use of their (relatively) privileged lot in life.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

The man takes a drink. The drink takes a drink. The drink takes a man.

You drink some whiskey drink, you drink some vodka drink, you drink some lager drink, you drink some cider drink, you drink some whiskey drink, you drink some vodka drink, you drink some lager drink, you drink some cider drink, you drink some whiskey drink, you drink some vodka drink, you drink some lager drink, you drink some cider drink, you drink some Kool Aid drink, you drink some vodka drink, you drink some lager drink, you drink some cider drink, you drink some Kool Aid drink, you drink some vodka drink, you drink some lager drink, you drink some cider drink, you drink some Kool Aid drink, you drink some vodka drink, you drink some paup tears drink, you drink some cider drink, you drink some Kool Aid, you drink some you drink some vodka drink, you drink some paup tears drink, you drink some you drink some cider drink drink

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
To be honest, I'd probably avoid talking to Femi, too

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Also, I see that the braindead kid from Essex has been ruled as braindead by a judge, and can have life support turned off.
I get that the family are holding on tightly to the belief that he'll wake up and come around if we just give him more time, but is there some reason beyond blanket lobbying from christian fundamentalists that this sort of depressing-to-the-point-of-boredom story has to make it into the news?
It doesn't add anything new, it just seems like a Terri Schiavo 2.0 kind of situation.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

TACD posted:

holy loving poo poo

I’m speechless, this has stunned me into a stupor, what the gently caress

The pandemic shut down the most easily-accessible free source of support that some of the poorest families in the country have - Children's Centres. Usually, you could book a spot at a stay-and-play and go along, and your kid would get to play with some of the random stuff the staff had put out, and the parent could have a chat with some other parents, or simply have a chat with the staff. The staff were also there to provide some support with what to actually do with your kid, since that's not specifically taught anywhere (you might get some stuff via ante-natal education, but that seems hit-and-miss). Alongside other activities and classes/workshops and stuff like that.
And it's free.
And if the Children's Centre staff were concerned about how your kid was doing, they could flag you up to a Health Visitor, or an Educational Psychologist, or Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist or Speech and Language Therapist. Or even refer you to an Early Help Hub for more targeted support if they were concerned you weren't coping.

Yeah, the Children's Centres were still open - technically - but it was a lot harder to access the sessions, for infection control reasons you'd struggle to meet anyone who wasn't staff and you were also being told to stay at home unless your journey was essential. So loads of parents stayed at home. And when you're stuck at home with your child all day every day, most parents get really good at picking up on the esoteric ways their child communicates with them, so the child never needs to learn a more effective way of communicating. And when your kid keeps making GBS threads themself, you keep changing them, and yeah, you probably try toilet training but it probably doesn't go well and well, you're stuck at home anyway and probably massively depressed yourself so you keep changing the kid because it's the easiest thing to do in the circumstance and then they never learn anything else. gently caress it, if you did finally manage to get a booking at the Children's Centre, there'd be a decent chance that even if you were massively depressed, you'd get enough relief from going outside and meeting people (even if they're being paid to talk to you) that your poo poo mental health might not be immediately obvious to them; in which case, you probably wouldn't get flagged to Early Help or even your GP (lol).

There's more to it than that, of course. Access to consistent schooling makes a huge difference for lots of children, just in terms of giving them regular exposure to typically-developing peers. So they can hear what the other children around them are saying, and learn from them along with the adults working with them everyday. And that was obviously disrupted in a massive way by the pandemic. (On the flipside, quite a few of the children I've worked with really enjoyed there being fewer children in school during lockdown, as the class wasn't as busy and they got more attention from the teaching staff).

The absolute hatchet job that the Tories have done on Local Authority funding has had a direct impact on the quality of early intervention like Children's Centres and it's loving criminal that it rarely ever gets a look-in. Also, it's the one thing Blair did right, which makes it much easier to demolish the rest of his atrocity of a time in power.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Answers Me posted:

I don’t mean to single out whoever this person is, I was just looking it up to see whether anyone was expressing this opinion…

…this is a dumb take, right? There’s still a partial service this week which is, as far as I’m aware, not being run by scab workers. and thus you can be in a position where you use the train and still wholly support the strike, in that you can accept that any personal inconvenience has been caused by the government and rail companies loving over workers and the entire rail infrastructure more generally, right? I don’t see how that’s scab behaviour or undermining strike action, myself

Eh, I understand the principle, but although my line manager is cool enough that if I said I wasn't coming into work because I refuse to cross a picket line, her response would be "so are you taking Annual Leave or Unpaid Leave?", that obviously doesn't apply to most people.
Some people can WFH, so that's good for them, but that's also not nearly a majority of workers. And gods help you if you're Civil Service and Jacob Bleeds Moggs decides that trying to work from home is reason to have you Soylent Green-d.

Now if Twitter user @IAmPhophos wants to argue that the rail workers should have linked with unions in other sectors to try to set up some sort of General Strike, where going to work was a bit more like being a scab, I'd be down with that. As is, they are just being a bit of a prick, imo.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Labour keep thinking that if only they could have a leader as purely centrist as snowy white bread, they'd win power.
But they're too blinkered to be aware that their poster boy for bland neoliberal shithousery - Macron - just got hammered in the legislative elections.

The French people more or less explicitly said "He's better than a fascist, but we don't want him to have any power at all."

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

stev posted:

Is there any reason this rail strike in particular has gotten so much media attention? I don't remember any of the other rail strikes in the last decade rattling the right like this.

"Day we went back to the 70s". It's three days of trains running a limited schedule like they do all the time for various reasons. Get a loving grip.

I think it's the largest in terms of the national impact on train services. So it's noteworthy for that.
Plus, as the Tories have been briefing anyone who'll listen, this is coming at a time of massively increased pressure on the cost of living that they caused and so it will have a financial impact on the people who can't get to work because their train/tube has been cancelled.

The last Tube strike got a lot of attention in London - mostly because (I suspect) some prominent BBC execs were too gakked out over the Jubilee weekend to remember about it and therefore had to resort to getting a bus.

Also, let's ignore the cuts to TfL services because the Tories are playing politics with people's commute in the long-run, hoping it'll pay off at the next Mayoral election.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Chairman of the Tory party Oliver Dowden has resigned and told the PM he should also resign.

Hmm, yes, Boris resigning seems like a likely outcome...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

bessantj posted:

Doesn't really seem a reckless use of another persons money. When you're a kid tree houses are pretty cool.

Plus, Boris can hang himself from it once the Tories have decided he's of no further use to them!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jeherrin posted:

The provinces are behind the curve. I’ve noticed Met-centric polis adverts for about 9 months here in London. It looked at the time very much like a post-Everard attempt at image rehabilitation. Grim AF. Now it just looks like pigs recruiting for the knacker.

The funniest part of this is that, post-Everard, it's been basically nothing but a string of "Hey, the Met really is full of complete loving arseholes, isn't it?" stories.

Imagine being the Met's head of PR and - presumably - being so short of options that you can't just resign, but have to plod on regardless. Serves whoever that oval office is right, imo.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

the sex ghost posted:

Keirs solemn election pledge: we will never appeal to anybody anywhere

Of all the thousands of things you can criticise Starmer for, this isn't one of them.
The Tories have gone with "A vote for Labour is a vote for Scottish independence" stories at the last couple of GEs. Getting out ahead of it won't stop them from doing the same, but it'll blunt the tactic.
And it's a line of attack that works for the SNP, too. I'm not suggesting there are hundreds of thousands of Scottish voters who'd switch to Labour on that sort of rumour (or enough seats where that might result in a different result), but it exists to convince SNP voters that there's no point voting Labour - they'll get their vote anyway if they vote SNP.

I'm not actually sure what the point of Scottish Labour is, these days. They're basically: "What if Labour, but even more moribund?"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Sanford posted:

I’ve just talked someone down off a railway bridge literally seconds before the train went under us - can anyone advise if I should do something? The guy was absolutely distraught, sobbing when I got him down and by the time I’d walked him home he was just… fine. We walked and talked and I gave him lots of sensible old man advice about not letting your brain trick you into thinking bad things. I really feel like I should be doing something else but I don’t know what. Family advice is “call 101” which seems at best pointless. Is there anything I can or should do? I told him to call the doctors on Monday and if he’s feeling bad knock on my door and we’ll take the dog a walk. It’s shook me up real bad.

I think the recommended advice is to try to get the person to A&E if that's possible.
And well done on being someone willing to talk to him in a crisis.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I can't believe I forgot about this song the other day when the story of BJ's BJ came out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTIukwWj5VU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Is any of this supposed to be surprising?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Sanford posted:

The guy I stopped from jumping in front of a train on Friday night has crashed his car, pissed, twice in the past few months :doh: My brain keeps trying to start with “what about THAT moral ambiguity then, eh?” and shutting down in self-defence.

I got my wife to send him a message on FB saying [Sanford] says he met you on Friday, if you ever want to take the dog a walk knock on the door or drop him a line on [number]. I think that’s all I can do. Thanks to those who had advice to give on Friday night. The one real-life friend I told was all “Whoa dude, you saved his LIFE. That guy would be TOTALLY DEAD if not for you!” which didn’t help at all!

Eh, if it was a phone call or face-to-face chat, I can see why your friend might have said something so unhelpful.
The advantage of being a goon on the internet is that I can type something, look at it, decide if it's the level of condescension I'm aiming for, edit it to make it more/less rude and then post it and walk away.
Or I can post while drunk, try to make a joke, fail, and end up merely being very rude

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jedit posted:

It's MAX, it went in for a bit more realism in that regard. Frank treats his war on crime like a military operation, making fewer attacks but meticulously planning them to maximise the damage caused by each, and there isn't an infinite supply of criminals for him to kill.

And let's be realistic here: 800 kills in 10 years is only low by the standards of a fictional super-killer. In real life he'd still be the most prolific peacetime murderer in history.

Nah, he's almost 150,000 short of David Cameron's score.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Alas, my long not-tested-positive-for-Covid-yet streak is over.
It was inevitable, and yet, still somewhat annoying.

At least I don't feel all that unwell.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Back in my student days, a housemate once felt nauseous before bedtime and after giving it a bit of time to wear off to no effect, decided to just make herself sick because then at least she wouldn't have to worry about being sick in the night.

She went to the bathroom, put her fingers into her mouth, vomited... and missed the toilet bowl, spewing up over the carpet tiles.

(She wasn't bulimic, just a bit stupid at times)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Can the home sec unilaterally revoke somebody's citizenship? If so I hear there is lots of empty seats on those planes to Rwanda

I assume so, since that's what Javid did to Shamima Begum. I think two or three of her children died in the refugee camp in Syria while she was waiting to find out if she'd be allowed back in to the UK.

Or that was illegal, like probably half the poo poo the Tories have pulled.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I can definitely see him deselecting some people. If nothing else, he can't run in Uxbridge in the next election or else he'll lose his seat. So he needs to parachute somewhere safe

Nope.
If he calls an election, that's him finished in politics. He knows it, as does everyone else.
He'll gently caress off, probably out of the country, possibly to somewhere they can't make him pay child support.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

That pic of him outside was totally him getting his orders from murdoch wasn't it

Or calling his dealer

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

What sort of absolute turd is crying because Boris Johnson is getting pushed? loving hell.

It's people who know they'll never get to work in Downing Street again.
Same thing that happened with Trump's ex-staffers; they're so hated by everyone they had to interact with (because - whether or not they personally are complete shits - their boss indisputably was), no-one wants anything to do with them anymore.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive me if this has already been discussed:

But what are the chances that Jacob Reese-Mogg takes over as head of the Tories?

Precisely 0%.

quote:

And as a foreigner I have to ask this follow up: How in gods name is that posh oval office even remotely electable? I mean he is the kind of entitled landed gentry aristo gently caress that brought his childhood nanny on the campaign trail with him. Does he just have a particularly posh electorate? How goes his popularity in the rest of the country? Surely they can see him for the insane parody of out of touch wealth and inbreeding that he so obviously is.

His constituency is North-East Somerset, which Wikipedia helpfully summarises thusly: "This area is marked by significant agriculture and green buffers around almost each of its settlements, which largely consist of detached and semi-detached properties, with a low rate of unemployment and negligible social housing tenancy." Basically, he's elected as MP by a bunch of farmers and very middle-class people; no poors allowed.
The rest of the country sees him as a oval office. He also only seems to be liked by other cunts in Parliament, like Jess Phillips and Boris Johnson.
That said, being an effective constituency MP can go a long way towards getting you re-elected time after time and I have no idea how helpful he (or his local team) is to his constituents.

quote:

Who are the other contenders?

This is the fun part!
This is when the dregs of the Tory party dredge themselves up from the bottom of the barrel ready for a scrap.

You've got the Are Brave Souljars types - Ben Wallace and Tom Tugendhat. Be prepared to hear about how difficult Wallace found bringing Diana's body back from Paris after her fender bender; and not that he skipped the whole junior ranks thing, going straight into the army as a Lieutenant. Tugendhat was also commissioned as an officer, but this time as a Weekend Warrior in the TA; he was a Remainer and is a big friend of Israel and Saudi Arabia.
Liz Truss is also widely expected to put her name forward. She's dumb as breeze blocks and everything she does seems like cosplay. A favourite among Tory voters - many of whom are horny-but-impotent pensioners - but remember that Tory voters don't actually get a say. Would be so bad if she won, you'd wish for the halcyon days of Boris.
There's the ethnic contenders, too. That includes Priti Patel, Sajid Javid, Nadhim Zahawi, Rishi Sunak and Suella Braverman. None of them will win because the Tory base is simply far too racist to make any of them viable candidates in a General Election. Beyond which, Sunak is hated by most Tory MPs these days and a bunch of the press.
Jeremy Hunt is an alarming outside shot. Hated by everyone who works for the NHS and - I suspect - by a lot of Tory MPs, but has done a reasonable job (if I'm being objective) of restoring his reputation with his recent book which points out how the NHS can actually be fixed. Strong Neutral Evil vibes.
Penny Mordaunt could get a look in, but I suspect she'll struggle for support if she's up against someone like Steve Baker, an absolute poo poo's arsehole of a man who is - sadly - likely a strong contender. Undoubtedly has an .xlsx document on a zip drive detailing all of his colleagues' trangressions and misdeeds, for blackmailing purposes.

I would personally love to see Grant Shapps throw his hat in the ring. He's a contender for 'stupidest man in the party', as seen by the fact he's supposedly considering running for leader despite being a joke.
Which only leaves the dark horse himself: the only person who could transcend the whole leadership race by making his candidacy known and blowing the field wide open. The one, the only: Chris Grayling

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Dabir posted:

His shagging around directly cost the taxpayer hundreds of thousands of pounds that he was funneling to that violinist for "computer lessons".

Also, the pile of cash that Jennifer Arcuri got for 'consulting'

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Also, how about that time as Mayor of London when he got his Chief of Staff to threaten to beat the poo poo out of a journalist in a lift, because they'd written an article that was critical of him.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There's also an argument that Ed Miliband listened to the usual morons within Labour about how to run a campaign until far too late.
He actually came close to being personable in the last few weeks before polling day, and it's possible he would have done better if he'd shown that side of himself earlier. For most of his time as leader he gave the impression he'd just walked into the wrong room and didn't know what he was doing there.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Mebh posted:

I made fajitas on the bbq and pruned the pear tree at 4am and have no memory of it, i do have a post it note here that says "Pear rust. Bastards" on it.

Looking forward to the new Pear Rust flavour of fudge, tbh

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

So, how prepared are London goons for next weekend maybe being 41-43°C ? Seems bad imo. Check in on your olds

https://twitter.com/DrTELS/status/1545820430681923590?t=lkV4mYfyuIqqZaQsESWYgA&s=19

Say what you want about climate change, but it'll kill more Tory voters than Cameron managed.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Halisnacks posted:

So, how is a leftist who cares about identity politics supposed to feel that of the eight Conservative leadership contenders, only two are white men?

None of these cunts is going to do anything to further the cause(s) of minority groups, so I'm happy calling them all cunts and wishing an unpleasant death upon the lot of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

One thing that's been really striking is that despite talk of tax cuts I don't think any of them have suggested cutting VAT, the one tax that has the biggest impact on prices and is most affected by inflation

In addition to what jiggerypokery said, they're mostly concerned with cutting tax for the higher brackets. So they have more money.