Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Is there anyone who likes Kier, or is everyone supporting him someone who would see negative career consequences if they didn't?

The whole "Kier is a pro-landlord Labour leader" thing made me wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

lmao @ celebrating the wrong thing but very patriotically

Could be describing any of the royals here.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Comrade Fakename posted:

Bad news lads, synthwave is now officially over:

Eh it's fine, we took everything good from synthwave and incorporated it into future bass 2.1 and hyperpop during COVID. Synthwave is now the tank controls of music.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Well, that clip is open admittance they want to seize power without public support to eliminate groups they find offensive in the pursuit of an idealized world that never existed, because the people they loathe are a "burden" according to them.

... at what point is it okay to say they don't just sound like a nazi, they are a nazi?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
How many steps away is that from going full Aktion T4 on disabled people because we'll never be healthy?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Angepain posted:

it's exactly the kind of "institutional capture" they claim the Evil Trans Lobby is doing, but it's ok because they're doing it and they must be right

"Of course they accuse everyone of wanting to do it, it's what they would do if they could."

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

HopperUK posted:

Yeah - same issues on phone over wifi, but mobile data is fine, so I'm guessing it's just EE being a chore again. Thank you though.

Know how to check if it's DNS?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

HopperUK posted:

Would a DNS issue affect both my browser on pc and my phone, but only over the Wi-Fi and not mobile? I will fuss with it. Rebooting the router just for fun. Ugh. EE broadband is pretty decent but once in a while it just has these weird little fits.

Seems to have fixed it for now. I hate networking stuff, when I am even slightly tired it becomes like witchcraft to me. Thank you chums.

Yup. You try 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 as the DNS usually to figure out if that's it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Unkempt posted:

Human brains evolved to make models of the outside world. 'Consciousness' is just the model of the thing inside the model, introspection in a recursive loop. The model trying to model the thing that's doing the modelling.

I grow my own weed, it's great.

:golfclap:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Reveilled posted:

"and was sanctioned by the UK government" is the important part of that, though. Spain has previously said that as long as there is a lawful and legitimate separation process they don't have an issue, and that would surely be the case for the rest of the world generally. The problem is that the UK government have intimated that they won't sanction a referendum or a separation, and if we do actually unilaterally declare independence despite opposition from the UK we should expect zero recognition from any other country.

I'll also vote yes for basically the same reasons as forkboy, but I don't actually see a workable path to independence without a serious change in how things are going.

The EU - Spain especially - made it very clear this applies to Scotland as long as the UK is a member of the EU.

They made that exact point very clear.

The only way Scotland will get recognized as independent is if a lot of the countries around the world want to humiliate the English for some reason.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

His Divine Shadow posted:

Sounds like that should be made illegal.

You first.

No seriously the state of dental health care in Finland is abysmal.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

His Divine Shadow posted:

What's your point? I know it's lovely here too, and would welcome some reform that's not privatize more.

There's no point other than stated.

I want Finland to reform dental health care asap, and it's likely we'll have an okay system well before the UK does.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

He appears to be meeting with a sloth in the bottom left.

Casey! :argh:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

dr_rat posted:

Last we heard he told Moggs to give the Cyanide capsules out, then when Mogg was done he tried to find Boris, an all anyone could find was an open back door blowing in the wind.

This is why country estates make terrible last stand fortified bunkers.

Well yes we've all seen him replying to questions about his scandals before.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

the sex ghost posted:

dont like it melt simple as

Soon enough, Britain will be more melts than not.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tesseraction posted:

Do they embed eventually or not at all?

They've been turned off due to a bug. They will be back on once the bug's fixed.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

That nesting took committing to the bit, bravo.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
After COVID, the reaction I imagine the world would have to "Soylent Green is people!" has changed a fair bit.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, you still can't have grapefruit or grapefruit juice with antidepressants, be they SSRI, SNRA, TCA or MAOI. They always have a very clear, prominent sticker on the outside of the box of pills saying "avoiding taking with grapefruit juice".

This isn't true, it depends on the exact chemistry.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

HopperUK posted:

We tell people about grapefruit quite a lot and it's always in the little leaflet things. Almost nobody reads those, and then you get someone who did and is in a spiral of anxiety because the leaflet says they might get a headache. It's understandable but boy, nobody ever worries about things an appropriate amount. I know I don't.

I got one that told me to contact a doctor immediately if I suddenly died.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Perfect Element posted:

Also the default voice for all digital servants is female, which is #problematic!!!

Things are problematic when something you enjoy has bad sides that need to be acknowledged.

These robots have no good sides and nobody decent enjoys them, so they can't be problematic.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Failed Imagineer posted:

Some Brits really seem to think the Queen is their kindly Nan, it's really quite startling when you realise they're being serious

As someone who grew up in a republic it was really unsettling at first, and became sickening after a bit more thought.

They're landlords in silly hats.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Question IRL posted:

My issue with Nuclear Power is if the Nucelar Waste isn't that dangerous, why is it never kept near the production facility?

Sellafield has for decades pumped it's spent waste into the Irish Sea. Which raises a further point, the Irish don't get any benefit from the UK's Nuclear energy facilities....but we do get the cost associated with the waste being dumped near us.

I think the world mass switching to Nucelar power is just going to create conditions where rich countries will dump their waste into poorer ones. Which granted, already happens. Just with much more dangerous materials.

Not to mention that there will absolutely be a race to the bottom in terms of quality of reactors if they start being mass adopted.

You know far less than you think you do, and you don't seem to be confident in your knowledge to begin with.

The effects of dumping waste coolant in the ocean are literally meaningless. I am not using literally metaphorically. There is no difference you can measure after a few hours, mostly due to the energy from sunlight.

Processed nuclear waste isn't entirely safe, it's nearly as bad as coal ash, but we do have safe ways of permanently getting rid of it... but it's a lot cheaper to just dump it in a deep enough hole, and frankly, that's fine. Most of the risk is in transporting it to the right hole. You can make arguments about what will happen in ten thousand years, and if you think that's a legitimate reason to not just store it in a hole, that's because you're ignorant and listening to oil company propaganda.

Because it's nowhere close to being as dangerous as fossil fuel related waste. We could produce all the power we use today with nuclear power and keep it up for centuries before we had enough nuclear waste to rival the problems of fossil fuel waste, even without generating any new fossil fuel waste.

I'm picking my words carefully there - we could sustain current levels of power use, but power use has been increasing at a rate we can't sustain, even with nuclear. The worry about rich countries dumping their waste onto poor countries isn't realistic - there just isn't enough nuclear waste for that to make any sense, you'd need to be a Captain Planet villain to turn it into a problem.

Now, that whole bit about the reactors needing constant safety inspections by competent, dedicated, well-funded people is a perfectly valid concern. It's still far cheaper than fossil fuels when considering the cost to society, but someone needs to keep the government honest about power generation.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

big scary monsters posted:

That's not quite true, warm water being dispersed into the ocean can have an pretty significant adverse effect on local marine life (thermal pollution is the phrase to look up). Moreso if you're discharging into a river or lake. Of course, that's as true of any other thermal power plant using steam as it is of nuclear - coal, geothermal, even solar.

Ugh, fine, I concede that specific point. How far from the plant does the effect carry in the ocean?

I know the situation's different in lakes and rivers due to the scales involved.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

big scary monsters posted:

I doubt anyone knows in general. It's going to depend a lot on local coastal topography / bathymetry, local currents, other thermal and chemical discharges in the area, and ecosystem makeup. I'd imagine you'd have to do an impact study on each site and the effects probably range from "negligible" to "Gulf of Mexico hypoxic zone".

e: Thermal pollution isn't the main cause of the latter, of course.

ee: I'm also not trying to make an argument against building thermal plants. There literally is no such thing as green energy, any type of production has some adverse environmental impact. It's really a matter of trying to choose the least harmful options, which will obviously vary from place to place. As Guava says, you can mitigate the harms if there is political will to do so. And you could in theory reduce overall energy consumption...

I was trying to choose my words to eliminate as many of the edge cases as I could. I know the real situation is closer to "it's not perfect, it merely results in less pollution than most sources of loving solar when done right (manufacturing and maintenance included), but doing it right takes a lot of careful planning we need to do now and we could finish the planning phase in a few months if we committed, but that involves nobody trying to cut corners and good loving luck with that".

We could probably take care of all of our energy needs for thousands of years before nuclear waste becomes the problem fossil fuel waste is, but I aimed at making a clear point.

Manufacturing solar panels is dirty and energy intensive, wind kills birds and makes noise and requires batteries to store spare capacity, concentrated solar needs deserts with a reliable water source, geothermal can destroy the ground near it if you're careless, hydro dams can and do fail in very lethal ways, we're far away from fusion that's efficient enough to produce power with less waste than fission, lithium is destructive to extract and in short supply and prone to catching fire, sodium results in large immobile power storage units... no free lunch, as far as energy goes.

But fossil fuels aren't just bad from the co2 perspective, they're also bad compared to nuclear given what it takes to extract them and what's left behind. As scary as nuclear waste has been made to be, fossil fuel waste is so much worse people just don't get the scales involved and have real problems comprehending just how much waste they produce.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah I know. Thing is, storage is definitely a factor in a switch to renewables - because of the intermittent generation you either need storage, or you need shitloads of base generation capacity which can be spun up rapidly to compensate when it's not windy or sunny.

There are new battery technologies being developed all the time. Sodium batteries are one thing that's being worked on. They seem to have the potential to do as well as (or better than in some situations) lithium in terms of energy density, battery longevity (charge cycles) etc. Also the total global reserves of lithium seem to be about 14m tons, whereas the US currently has 23 BILLION tons of sodium reserves.

Yeah, all storage is gonna lose power, but if the alternative is "generating less of our power from renewables" then it's still the best option. If people (in the West at least) are going to be having electric vehicles anyway, may as well use them as storage for local power generation. Also the round-trip efficiency of storage with lithium batteries seems to be about 80% which is around the same as grid-scale solutions like pumped hydro. Again, still better than relying on gas etc. for base loads.

I'm not one of those people who believe that technology will solve everything, but in this instance it seems like part of a good solution.

Problem: It's not a solution at all.

With sodium you get large immobile power units. You need lithium for electric cars. Electric cars are a dead end, replacing internal combustion engines would take a lot more resources than we have.

Counting on any promises of future technological breakthroughs to solve this leads you to using fusion to power carbon capture plants to solve global warming.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah. Again, not to be too black pilled, but it's essentially too late already. It's like we have stage four liver cancer and we're not only refusing chemo and radiotherapy, we're still drinking a bottle of voddy a day. Could a miracle occur and we survive? Sure. Is it likely? No.

I've been spending a lot of time actively working on various ways to come to terms with this, to try and face the End with some sort of equanimity and dignity. I have good days and bad ones. I try not to think about it all the time, but I think it's ultimately easier to face the truth rather than try to ignore it.

Humanity's got real good odds at surviving, and we'd not have decent odds of destroying life on earth if we tried our best.

Problem is every wasted day means a lot of mouths we can no longer feed.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

WhatEvil posted:

I don't know where you're getting this "large immobile power units" thing from. They've achieved 160wh/kg with Sodium, which, yes, it's a little short of the ~250wh/kg with lithium, but sodium is also muuuuuuuch cheaper than lithium.

I agree that electric cars are a dead end in some sense, we should be replacing private cars with public transport to the greatest possible extent... but nevertheless, we're getting electric cars. Also talk of "replacing all of the IC engines we have will take x resources"... well yeah, but we already replace all of the cars on earth something like every 12-15 years (the average life span of a private car).

Internal combustion and the energy handling of an electric car require rather a different set of resources. We have the resources for the former (not that we should use them), and we don't have them for the latter, and if we tried to push ahead anyway the supply chains would collapse in very impressive ways.

Also any theoretical upgrades to sodium should be counted in for lithium too, they're not that different. That two thirds of added weight? It matters. Accelerating all that extra weight in real driving matters a lot. Well, unless the battery is stationary.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

keep punching joe posted:

Got this for £340 btw, hope its not shite.

Lenovo ThinkPad A485 - AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 2500U - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD

Build quality is well-known to be a bit poo poo, can be a hair-pulling nightmare to get the drivers to work under Linux (tho not because of the AMD processor, those went open sores), performance is decidedly ok. Once it works I wouldn't worry though, Linux isn't prone to falling apart for no reason. Unlike the bloody motherboard.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is this new or a refurb?

I'm in the market for a new laptop in the foreseeable future, but am a bit allergic to refurbs as our work insists on refurbs and we've had 3 brick on us in the last year (and despite my constant nagging on the subject, my colleagues are not very good at doing backups.)

The Asus and HP Ryzens can be had decently cheap, and have excellent performance for the price, and aren't poorly built trash like Lenovo or Samsung or Dell. Under Windows at least.

If you want reliability above all else and don't care about 3D performance, a HP with a fairly recent (gen10+) Intel are leading the pack.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mega Comrade posted:

I've got to say my personal experience is opposite to yours .

Owned a few ThinkPads, always been great. HP I'd never tough again, complete turd and constant linux driver issues, my hp devices have always died quickly. They also make the worst printers known to God.

For work I always get saddled with Dell which are poo poo I agree, BUT their business support is phenomenal so I get why companies like them.

Oh, I didn't recommend a HP printer. And HP's Intel side is fine for drivers, AMD... not so much. Now, anyway, back in the day the networking bits were more than a little difficult. And I get hives when I even think about installing Linux on something using Broadcom wireless. ThinkPads meanwhile have fallen off a cliff as far as build quality goes.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Hope smells like sweat and plague?

That explains so much.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

Could use some creative blurring, Jacob's Ladder or Silent Hill style.

Why go after energy drinks first though? You could do drunken violence, suicide, and liver damage on the alcohol bottles, or labor activists being murdered with chainsaws on coca cola company products, or a human arse hole on most of the papers.

That wouldn't really change all that much with the page three history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

notaspy posted:

Here's a question for any vegans who post here:

Truffles - are they vegan?

Yeah, almost always, since they can just be farmed.