Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If anyone wants to stay in my wheelie bin for a couple nights let me know, I'll even hose it out for you. Make sure to check the bin schedule in advance if you don't want a lift to the dump in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Answers Me posted:

The other person in this clip is a sidekick of one Graham Linehan, just in case anyone would like an update on the slow motion car crash that is his life.

Haven't watched the clip but I'm struggling to imagine how pathetic you'd have to be to be Glinner's sidekick.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tesseraction posted:

I mean pointing out that the French government partially owns and thus profits from our privatised energy system kinda highlights how nationally cucked we are by Tory policy.

Cool to remember too that the German government owns 90% of rail freight in the UK, and the German, Dutch and French between them own the majority of the passenger rail services.

I imagine energy and rails aren't the only examples, but they're the two that tend to come up. Wonder how much of British telecoms is owned by foreign state companies.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

StarkingBarfish posted:

In positive news for once, TERFs aren't breaking through:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jun/16/britons-not-bitterly-polarised-over-trans-equality-research-finds

If you're feeling charitable, at worst boomers and the silent gen are ambivalent about whether or not transmen/women are men/women, with everyone younger siding with transpeople. As usual the kids are alright.

e: I do very much like the statement: 'the research had uncovered little interest in “the latest ‘gotcha’ trend of posing questions to senior politicians about whether or not women can have penises”.'

I don't recall whether it was based on the same research, but someone posted some similar numbers ITT a couple weeks back. Despite all the noise from Twitter transphobes most people in the UK really don't appear to have a strong opinion on trans folk either way, which is at least somewhat encouraging. It's that joke again about how there are only 200 full on anti-trans nutjobs in the UK, but they all have a newspaper column. The biggest negative numbers in the study look like exactly the things that transphobes are always banging on about in the Guardian, although whether that's their columns having the desired affect or just that those are the easiest dividing lines to write about I don't know.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Necrothatcher posted:

Went for a wander, here's some nice pics.

You can see my old house from up there! But why would you visit Tromsø in the summer? There's barely any skiing and no northern lights at all.

e: I do recommend a late night trip to Sommarøy if you have time, though. It's cool to sit on the edge of the island and see the sun fail to set over the ocean. And you can climb nearby Ørnfløya beforehand, which has great views and often you can see the sea eagles.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 20, 2022

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Because you need to be pretty smart, have a solid grasp of the relevant facts, and also be able to put it across cleanly without getting flustered by dickheads. It looks simple, but it's a real skill.

You also need to not have brainworms, which is even harder.

It also requires you to be invited on to TV. For some odd reason they don't like to get people like Lynch on very often.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
https://labour.org.uk/people/unions/

Unite and Unison are the big ones I suppose. I'm pretty sure Unite has reduced their funding already and were making noise about reducing it more. And yeah, if shadow ministers are going on TV and saying "it's party policy not to support unions" you have to imagine there are going to be consequences from the unions.

Wonder if he'd have said the same things if it was (Labour-affiliated train driver's union) ASLEF rather than RMT striking.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

EvilHawk posted:

I got an unsolicited email supposedly from my bank (I think) a month or two ago, came from a dodgy email address - something like 09uaskdf.[bank].sdaklfjalsdf@[bank].asdklf.com. It was asking me to click some random embedded link and enter all my details to get access to an email on their secure server. Dodgy as gently caress.

Because I've been on the internet a few times I recongised this as incredibly suspicious so I immediately rang their fraud department asking what the gently caress, did you send this? The guy on the other end took a look and confirmed it was legit - the email was just something about a change of card number of something - but I said to him you know how bad this looks? If legitimate emails are coming from random loving addresses how can anyone have a hope in hell.

Yeah it's really not great. I had a previous bank call me and ask me to "confirm my identity" by giving them personal information. I told them that they had called me and I wouldn't be doing that. When I rang the bank back I found out it had actually been a legit call (although about something unimportant).

My current bank has the right level of communication - they have contacted me maybe twice by letter for actually important stuff and they send all the messages I couldn't care less about to an inbox on my online account. They've never called. And all online payments use multi-factor authentication.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 2, 2022

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I learnt to code and now I work with computers all day. Don't make my mistake.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I didn't know that about the notes! Better check my cash store - I keep £100 in cash in the flat pending the zombie apocalypse

Brains are already in short supply, and with the increased demand of a zombie apocalypse prices are likely to spike further. I'd budget for a bit extra if you want to be sure you'll be able to afford soft, succulent grey matter in the after times.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

learnincurve posted:

He's quoting the Iliad and nailing the doors shut.

Perhaps he'd like to nail the door shut with all the ministers who've come to see him still inside, and then set the building on fire. Like some Ancient Greek guy who did that.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Angepain posted:

https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/1544799284733902852

I love them parading round the 14m figure, but then as a numbers nerd I might be assuming that "the uk population is like 60-70 million" is more common knowledge than it actually is

That 60-70 million includes children, unmarried women, men who don't own land, foreign types, communists, unionists, traitors to Britain, and enemies of the people, though. How many Real Britons are there? The type you'd want to allow to vote?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yes I'm resigning... resigning myself to staying PM forever SUCKERS. Now I've got the front bench all to myself nobody can stop me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

kingturnip posted:

There's also an argument that Ed Miliband listened to the usual morons within Labour about how to run a campaign until far too late.
He actually came close to being personable in the last few weeks before polling day, and it's possible he would have done better if he'd shown that side of himself earlier. For most of his time as leader he gave the impression he'd just walked into the wrong room and didn't know what he was doing there.

I can somewhat believe it. He started a light politics/chat podcast (Reasons to be Cheerful) after the election that I listened to for a bit, and he came across as a lot better there than as leader. Pretty moderate centre left stuff in the main, and quite personable.

Unfortunately he much hosed it as leader and his policies then were mostly tepid bilgewater, so it doesn't really matter how personally nice or actually good he is if he bottles it and concedes to the right when it matters.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm socially lie-bore-al, economically conservocrap.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Have to hand it to Short King James Madison beating DeWitt Clinton despite a 28cm height disadvantage.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Looking through the bulletproof glass out of my secure, undisclosed location somewhere in Central Europe I can confirm that the weather here is also normal with no trees on fire, melting asphalt or the like.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I guess it'll have to do until that giant asteroid comes along.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Xeno posted:

This is fascinating. I'm sure people in this thread can ELI5 and share other examples? I've read the tutorial but that image looks like it should to my untrained eye? https://fotoforensics.com/tutorial.php?tt=ela

It looks like there has been a fair bit of sharpening (making edges more defined) and the red of red objects has been bumped up a lot. I don't think that much else has been done beyond normal colour correction, the FotoForensics tool doesn't seem to indicate a lot of touching up.

There was obviously some extra lighting involved which can make things appear unnatural even if you can't put your finger on quite why - shadows and highlights don't match up with your expectations for a normally/naturally lit room and that discrepancy gives the image an unreal look. You can see for instance that the lamp in the corner casts two shadows and there are shadows on the right wall, but the light on the phone box thing make it appear that the main light source in the room should be somewhere to the right of the camera. I'd guess they had at least a big, soft light source there (maybe an actual window), and another higher up in the direction she's looking.

Also the scene is just weird.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Parma violets are mostly baffling to me. They aren't even that unpleasant, it's just confusing why anybody would choose to eat them over literally any other sweet.

Aniseed balls are fantastic though, sorry for your bad tastebuds Lungboy.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

TACD posted:

I had an Aeropress before and it was even worse for me ending up with a barely–warm cup.

Something was going wrong there then, with an Aeropress you're drinking the coffee a couple minutes after pouring the hot water. It should still be plenty hot.

Dead Goon posted:

I don't particularly care for courgette.

You can make a pretty nice cake with courgette! I don't like them that much normally but I've had an amazing courgette chocolate cake.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Private Speech posted:

It seems like he's trying to fit the justification to the slogan rather than the other way around.

Really. Those policies, if that isn't too strong a word, are completely unremarkable stuff that half the centre-X parties in Europe would be alright with. If you take as given the idea that the main purpose of the state is to promote private business, they're fine. But those slogans sound like nothing at all and don't give you any idea what the policies are, they're the kind of thing a Tory minister you've never heard of would have on their election campaign leaflet. It seems like Labour are just relying on the Tories finally having become too toxic to vote for (maybe), the Lib Dems entirely forgotten by everyone (probably), and presumably not contesting Scotland at all, so they get into government by default.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Pretty hard to imagine a Tesla owner who also makes bad posts online.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Where was he keeping the gun?

e: oh it's answered in the article.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

keep punching joe posted:

Is there some sort of Star Trek style colour coding on the trouser choices of toffs? Like mustard means farmer, red means banker etc.

Close, red typically means wanker.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

EvilHawk posted:

I think I've mentioned this in here before, I am eligible to get an Irish passport through my dad's dad but unfortunately all of his records ~mysteriously disappeared~ right around the time he joined the British army in the 1920s or 1930s.

Absolutely nothing untowards happening there, no sir.

If it's something you want to pursue and you know where he was born you could try visiting and seeing if the church or local records office still has physical copies. Even if the "main" official records are gone local copies may still exist and be available to you if you're willing to go through some old books. Also local newspaper announcements of births, baptisms etc. can help.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I feel like there was previously a huge group of donors and volunteers who would help ensure the party was election ready, not sure what happened to them though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Jews (except Portuguese Jews) were banned from Norway from 1687 until 1851, so maybe antisemitism is more of a Germanic characteristic than just German.

e: To be fair, Catholics were banned until 1845, monks until 1897, and Jesuits until 1956. It was more just to keep out non-Lutherans really.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 2, 2022

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

https://twitter.com/netpol/status/1554498791620886529?t=UwAuYS2k09ePaaNX3iWReg&s=19

Maybe a more detailed description is given elsewhere, but my reading of that screenshot is that the guidelines are so broadly written that anything from being in an anarchist band to campaigning for an SNP candidate could be "high level aggravated activism".

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

It's happened a bunch of places since the 19th century, always without proper consultation. There's a Bradgate in Iowa, named after the Bradgate in England. Where's that? You can sometimes see it when the water's low. Apparently the people there ended up in the Iowa one.

Rutland water is the local one where a bunch of people happened to be in the exact right place for a giant reservoir.

Same if you've ever been to Derwentwater in the Lakes - the village of Derwent is occasionally visible when there's a serious drought. There must be a tonne of similar stories across the UK.

e: I assume that's the origin of the name. Der it was, den der went water.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 3, 2022

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Rustybear posted:

am i reading this correctly that:

-> the threshold test to move from 'lawful' to 'low' is whether you affect "a change to the behaviour of the population...or change to specific government policy..." (we all know this but maybe don't explicitly codify it lads ffs)
-> the threshold test for low versus high is whether you have a 'significant impact on uk business' (ofc it is lol)
-> on a scale of lawful<low<high<terrorism -> high (i.e. not terrorism!) is explicitly the responsibility of counter-terror police

i mean we all know all of this is true but feels a bit much to actually write it down in public

to be fully clear it is official policy that if your protest has any measurable effect we will set the local bobbies on you, if it touches our profit in any way we'll send the full might of the security state after you

Presumably when the CTP wrote it it wasn't really intended for public consumption. I clicked through to the parliamentary report linked in the article and that slide is all the info in there, so it's not clear if the criteria are any more defined elsewhere or what they are. I'm not sure where the Twitter thread gets the idea that activity beyond talking is necessarily considered unlawful activism, I don't see that in the slide. But it does explicitly lay out (what I'm sure was already obvious to all of us) that you can be surveilled under counter-terrorism measures for entirely lawful activity.

e: it's unhelpful that they use "low" in three different contexts: low impact ideological goals, low level of activity, and low combined threat of the two.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

AceClown posted:

OP is getting mixed up, it's Derwent Village in the peak district that was flooded to make way for Ladybower Reservoir.

Yes, I was getting myself confused. :tipshat:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

BalloonFish posted:

Yep - if "UK plc" actually meaningfully existed, we'd have borrowed untold £billions in the 2010s at low (or even slightly negative) interest rates and poured that into infrastructure and service provision to make our 'business' more efficient and productive and to maintain the spending power of our 'customer base'. Like that example on Panorama a few years ago where some bow-tie wearing 'run the country like a business' talking head had no real answer to someone from the LSE saying that if we did run the country like a business then we'd stop spunking a fortune into the pockets of private landlords externals service contractors for no return and just buy all their housing stock and rent it out as the owner - take the 'service' in-house, save £millions and put the assets on the company books.

I think they mean like a business that a private equity firm has bought up on the cheap and is cutting operating costs, asset stripping and stacking with debt before piecing it out and offloading.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Isn't cutting taxes exactly what ever Tory leadership candidate promised in their campaign?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Chinese Gordon posted:

Christ.

What really gets me is that both the housing and energy crises have simple, obvious solutions:

1)Build a shitload of public housing and also force developers to actually build on their banked land.
2)Massive expansion of solar and wind energy. Energy bill subsidies in the meantime. Punitive taxes on obscene fossil fuel profits.

Unfortunately the problems were completely impossible to see coming and nobody had ever considered these solutions. I assume that must true because the alternative is that successive governments over several decades simply chose to do nothing and prioritised the profits of incredibly wealthy landowners and fossil fuel companies over the survival of literally everyone.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Two other seagulls and a lot of stolen chips.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah I don't really understand the argument of "energy source X takes Y years to build, but we need energy now" against X. I can confidently say we won't have fixed the world's energy supply needs in Y years, so we should probably plan ahead a little bit? It's not just nuclear - geothermal also takes 5-10 years to get up and running, medium hydro plants up to 5 years, basically anything that isn't already approved and just waiting for somene to show up at the site with a golden shovel will need feasibility studies, surveys, funding provisions, environmental impact studies, local consultation, engineering and architectural plans, etc. Even a small wind farm can easily take two years from proposal to the first watt being generated.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

endlessmonotony posted:

The effects of dumping waste coolant in the ocean are literally meaningless. I am not using literally metaphorically. There is no difference you can measure after a few hours, mostly due to the energy from sunlight.

That's not quite true, warm water being dispersed into the ocean can have an pretty significant adverse effect on local marine life (thermal pollution is the phrase to look up). Moreso if you're discharging into a river or lake. Of course, that's as true of any other thermal power plant using steam as it is of nuclear - coal, geothermal, even solar.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

endlessmonotony posted:

Ugh, fine, I concede that specific point. How far from the plant does the effect carry in the ocean?

I know the situation's different in lakes and rivers due to the scales involved.

I doubt anyone knows in general. It's going to depend a lot on local coastal topography / bathymetry, local currents, other thermal and chemical discharges in the area, and ecosystem makeup. I'd imagine you'd have to do an impact study on each site and the effects probably range from "negligible" to "Gulf of Mexico hypoxic zone".

e: Thermal pollution isn't the main cause of the latter, of course.

ee: I'm also not trying to make an argument against building thermal plants. There literally is no such thing as green energy, any type of production has some adverse environmental impact. It's really a matter of trying to choose the least harmful options, which will obviously vary from place to place. As Guava says, you can mitigate the harms if there is political will to do so. And you could in theory reduce overall energy consumption...

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Have to say I've been feeling pretty down on the future lately. I work in ocean sciences and adjacent to environmental sciences more generally, where there is not a lot to feel optimistic about. Lots of measuring the harm, little feeling that anyone is listening and planning to do anything much about it. Politics more broadly is a pretty depressing place too, although the big collective actions in the UK at the moment are heartening. I'm just back from holiday and everything is noticeably more expensive in the shops. I have a big project that I can't seem to get back into.

I'm in an OK place in general: my finances are alright, my landlord isn't the worst, good relationship, good doggo. Usually I don't worry too much about the looming end of everything - I'm more on the "you have to keep trying anyway" than the "might as well give up" side of things. But I've been feeling pretty poo poo the last few days and you nice folk will understand that so here is my e/n post. Even when the news is depressing it's nice to read this thread of good, broadly like-minded people also shitposting and yelling into the void.

When other people post something like this I usually tell them it's OK to stop paying attention to the news and reading stuff that will upset them for a bit, so I guess I should probably try that.