Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1532019589349101571

He does realize the EU would have a say in this, right?

Ah but you see it's the EU's fault that there's all this red tape and they could avoid it by simply letting us do literally anything we feel like, and furthermore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, potatoes are best cooked in stages, with a chance to cool a bit between each one. You simmer them until they start to soften, fluff up the edges with a fork or very gentle tossing, then cook them properly. For the absolute best wedges you deep fry them at 130C after the first stage to get a light crispy coating, then deep fry at 170C after they've cooled down to finish them off. Otherwise just oil them up and oven cook them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Triple cooked chips are basically mash in a crispy coating, they are one of the highest forms of being that a potato can aspire to achieve.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Now, I like me some gravy,

but that is just way too much gravy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Since when did sushi need a palette cleanser? And who on god's green earth considers ginger a palette cleanser? :psyduck:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He appears to be meeting with a sloth in the bottom left.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So the people who think that strikers should be punished, if those strikers then just quit instead, do they want them to be dragged back and forced into employment? What if no-one wants to do the poo poo job with bad pay, do we round up any able bodied people and chain them to the station while screaming "YOU WORK HERE NOW!!!"?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So they've identified that it's a class war, then explicitly set themselves against the workers. Incredible.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

winegums posted:

Push comes to shove they can always just get Andrew Neil to ask him "do you still beat your wife" over and over until the credits roll, and then claim victory.

Or, just not interview him and allow discourse to happen about him, without him.

I've always wondered about this, isn't the question "have you stopped beating your wife" or variations thereof inherently libellous if they haven't actually been convicted of it? Because you aren't just asking if they beat their wife, you are outright stating that they have done so in the past, which seems pretty foolish without the receipts to back it up.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh, sure, but those are the idiot rubes that got worked into a frenzy for the benefit of the rich; they can be safely ignored by those in power now that they've served their purpose, it's neither here nor there if they continue believing that anyone actually gives a poo poo about their opinion.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/ShakeyStephens/status/1540088035374759937?t=JSWpoLkjo-DzUo2wvaLguA&s=19

What a surprise.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lady Gaza posted:

I had very low expectations for SNW considering the car crashes that are Discovery and Picard. The characters are likeable and believable, and the actors aren’t overdramatic. Being episodic also means there isn’t a constant escalation of the stakes to ridiculous levels.

Oh thank God, Discovery and Picard are absolute laughable horseshit, as in I laughed out loud at how mindbendingly stupid Discovery was on more than one occasion.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Going into an election with an untested newcomer barely stumbling out of the starting gate and a pinky promise that THIS one won't be a useless, corrupt imbecile would be absolute electoral suicide, not least since everyone has forgotten Keith and Labour's existence, so you get the perfect blend of a complete lack of political vision, no inspiring personalities and the stink of internal squabbling and rudderless incompetence.

In that situation half the Tory voters could pull their vote in disgust and Johnson would still win a comfortable majority.

E: I'm aware that Johnson is also a useless, corrupt imbecile, but he has a self-confidence that propels him through any crisis in a way that Keith doesn't, and people are at least somewhat aware of who members of the cabinet are, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you who any of the shadow cabinet are right now, let alone what role they play or anything positive they've ever done.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 29, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's more than my actual post tax salary. :psyduck:

Fortunately I'm not in the south so I do have pretty low expenditure with the ability to save and buy luxuries, but there is no amount of coffee and avocado toast I could give up that would ever let me afford that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How long after testing negative should you keep isolating, in an ideal world? I tested negative today, eight days after my first positive, but that's with an LFT so I assume it isn't likely to accurately pick up low levels of the virus.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Bogs chat:

I think I'm one of those rare women who is bemused by the whole seat up seat down discussion.
If a man needs a seat up, lift it up. If a woman needs a seat down, put it down. Why is it supposedly better for a man to put it up than a woman to put it down?

I suspect this is one reason why men don't bother raising the seat when they pee, because the apoplectic fury that befalls any man who forgets probably conditions them to just not risk it. And there is an incredibly low survival rate for any man who says "okay, so just lower it then...?" which further selects for not risking a seat raise.

E: obviously the solution is to just close the seat as Owl says, but apparently that's not an option for most people.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lmao, are they planning to make this an all nighter?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/tricktrifle/status/1544985530684801024?t=yKqKveg-rdqolEbZy7DEGg&s=19

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Call an election, loving do it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:siren:

I’m pleased to invite Night Tories, and all other interested persons, to apply for your next UKMT gang tag.

To receive it, you must reply to this post with a scene from the Thick of It, by the end of the 11th of July, British Summer Time. Unoriginal show content submissions won’t be eligible.

Also, please specify how you want to have it, e.g., your gang tags in a scroll bar, a specific tag replaced, your title or avatar removed, with a pint (though I can’t really help you with that one), or something else.

If you don’t know where to get your bite of the Thick of It, you could definitely do worse than by looking at https://twitter.com/oocthickofit

:siren:

Ah, why not. I don't have a gang tag yet, so just stick it under my av please.

https://twitter.com/OOCThickOfIt/status/1516346906531799044?t=WUYvGwbW8swOXkBdmXUBzQ&s=19

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 11, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tarnop posted:

He's using their own phrasing against them which will highlight right-wing hypocrisy, a highly successful tactic that definitely doesn't just further culturally embed tory framing of the issue!

It also doesn't make sense, because tax cuts don't involve generating more government expenditure, just taking less money from people, so it's very easily rebuffed.

There are major issues with tax cuts of course, but that's not what the average person is going to hear.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

crispix posted:

actually no just remembered i'm still boycotting them since 1997 when they changed it to just icecream inside instead of icecream with swirls of the delicious fruit paste :mad:

the bastards

They changed it back ages ago, go get yourself a Solero right this instant.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Can't get the boomer dad vote if you don't face a full 180 degrees away from Scotland at all times while screaming "I will not countenance the existence of the perfidious Scot!" at full volume.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My room is in the attic and gets unbearable, like breathing soup, so I'll attach the foil tonight and see how it goes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kudos on the foil tip goons, that plus my blinds has kept the temperature down in my bedroom a decent amount, it is now somewhat survivable.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Forde report:

I'm trying to analyse spreadsheets (work ones not my own creations) and my brain is fried.

Is there a 2 word summary?

Corbyn vindicated / damned?

Corbyn vindicated, centrists twisting themselves into knots in an attempt to make it not so.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's fun to imagine those being photos of the same place, and the beach literally just setting on fire.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Surprise T Rex posted:

So, good aircon recommendations? I saw Lidl had one but I assume they're all loving gone.

I held off thinking it would be pointless, we'd only use it a couple of days a year and I'd be too cheap to run it all day on hot days anyway, but honestly sitting and working from home in a brick house in 39 degree heat is not an experience I want to repeat. Even if I only run it a few times a year it'd be worth it, and it's not like these heatwaves are going to start happening less often.

I've got a standalone unit by Goodhome, bought it from Screwfix or Toolstation a few years back, it works well and like you I needed it for those few days/nights when it was just unbearable without. I also made a window template to get a good seal as I couldn't find one that would fit my skylight.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Black pudding > all sausages.

Not that I don't like sausages, but man is black pudding tasty.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Really good quality dark chocolate like Lindt that isn't too high a percentage can be good, but the cheap stuff is nasty and the high percentage stuff that is just cocoa powder in bar form is just baffling, the texture is so tacky and awful.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

There isn't strictly anything stopping you from saying please and thankyou to the robot except your own self consciousness.

You say that, but I still haven't worked out how to make the Google voice assistant switch off with a voice command after telling it to do something, literally anything other than thanking it just gets ignored.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I can't think of something of catchy as "vote blue no matter who" for Labour, but I'm sure there will be something equally loving stupid.

GTTO (Get The Tories Out)

It is, unfortunately, already a thing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Could someone also ask him why we need to prioritise growth when we are one of the richest nations on earth and already have vast amounts of wealth doing nothing that can be freed up.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Trade union party when

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Worst boss in Bloodborne, that one.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

As conditions get worse, people insist that it's more important than ever to vote in the lesser evil, which further legitimises the lurch right. Nothing actually improves, it just gets worse at a slightly different rate, which makes conditions worse, so people argue that it's even more important than ever to vote in the lesser evil, which further legitimises the lurch right...

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There is a big difference between wanting to get things done/lead by example and wanting to be in charge, and only one of those tends to make people seek power above all else.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's two main sweeteners they use in the diet colas, I forget which is which but the one used mainly in Pepsi Max/Coke Zero gives me an awful headache, while Diet Pepsi/Coke doesn't.

I remember a few years back when Coca Cola made Coke Life, which used stevia or something similar and had less sugar in than normal, but tasted a lot less tacky than regular Coke. Unfortunately they called it Coke Life, put it in an ugly green can and marketed it towards the kind of people who say namaste unironically, so the instant I saw it I knew it was doomed.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Aspartame is the one in Max/Zero but in the last 10 years Diet moved to the same.

The other one is acesulfame potassium, I think it's in higher quantities in Max/Zero. I don't think I drink enough diet coke to determine whether it would give me the same headaches if I had more of it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I still had folks yell at me for "sucking the cock of the establishment" for saying the moon landing happened.

New thread title please.

Answers Me posted:

Does anyone have a good primer (and critique) on the so-called ‘wage-price spiral’ that Tories love to cite when people suggest that wages need to rise with inflation? Economic theory isn’t exactly my strong point and it’s making my head spin trying to understand it.

If wages stay stagnant during inflation then the spending power of those wages is going down, because each individual pound is literally worth less than it was before. So if wages keep up with inflation then your salary has the same purchasing power it did before. By extension, it is literally impossible for wages to cause a wage price spiral just by keeping up with inflation, because the spending power of those wages is static, it has to be another factor causing a spike in inflation.

And by extension to that, if wages can't keep up with inflation then they are saying that everyone has to get poorer and poorer forever without end, until no-one is making any money at all beyond a fraction of a percent of the value of current wages.

And even without the march of technology and knowledge constantly increasing our productivity, that obviously cannot be true, like it is ballistically stupid just on the face of things, it would result in us all sitting in the streets without even a rag to cover us, surrounded by technology and food and factories churning out all kinds of products into giant piles on the streets and we'd just be throwing up our hands saying "guess we just can't afford any of this stuff!".