Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ireland Minister for Foreign Affairs making Kieth look like the wee man he tries to hide that he is

Please note, not an AI-generated image

He has a diminutive stature you say?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Sad Panda posted:

Where are people getting those AI generated images from? Teaching about AI coming up and think they might be a great tool.

It's not actually an AI though it's just ML. One of my bugbears (like how people don't know how Venn diagrams work) is that people don't know the difference between AI and ML because the two overlap so much!

(Get it? Overlap? Like in a Venn diagram)

Yeah I'll walk myself to the wall.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Surely its ML until its AI?

jacksbrat posted:

ML is searching for patterns in data, AI is learning to find patterns without too much supervision and freaking out people who think sentience is an emergent property of a computer doing statistics https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1535716256585859073?t=psEUlNzCDGe6H7z26OyO8g&s=19

Caveat I know gently caress all about ML/AI but I'm excited to try and grift a job in those fields when UK university salaries become a stale sandwich once a week and an annual mindfulness course.

No to both.

ML is finding the parameters of a model from the data.

AI involves making a decision/action.

Lots of ML doesn't involve AI at all - like the generation of images based on what are essentially numerical optimisations which is how a lot of this fancy deep learning based stuff works.

AI doesn't have to involve ML at all - a hand coded decision tree can basically be a trivial example of an AI.

But these days it's unusual for an AI not to involve any ML, but it's pretty common for a lot of ML applications to not be an AI yet people often call it AI because.

edit: Obviously there's a lot to debate around cognition and sentience too but that's not what AI *is* or ever has been.

edit2: You can also see this distinction in nature. There's plenty of examples where you can see genetically hard coded behaviour, or learning driven behaviour, neither of which involve any evidence of 'consciousness' or other higher cognitive properties.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 12, 2022

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

jacksbrat posted:

I appreciate all of your caveats and consideration here, it's insightful especially the distinction of AI as decision-making which I didn't know. But I'm not sure I understand the distinction between "pattern detection" and finding a model fit in the absence of a hypothesis (or even with a hypothesis)

Edit: Actually nm I'll chew on the distinction myself as it's interesting
Aren't we supposed to be relishing in the Peckham victory and lmaoing at Keith still being the least popular option in here

Pattern detection is fitting a model. What defines a 'pattern' is a choice. You can't really have an absence of a hypothesis in that context, you can only make it as broad as possible. Essentially that's what neural networks do; they're universal function approximators and your standard backprop training algorithm will find a local minimum from ~~some random start~~ of that function according to the data. Key concepts in ML are bias and variance: Bias is your choice of model (i.e. how much that constraints the potential resulting function) and variance is how sensitive that model is to the data (i.e. how much does a change in the data change the resulting function). An example of a highly biased model would be standard linear regression - everything has to fit a straight line; an example of a high variance model would be a high Nth degree polynomial model - you could squiggle your way through every data point.

Angepain posted:

got it, the venn diagram of AI and ML is a circle

Comrade, I need to see you urgently in the guillotine room.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Mega Comrade posted:

Nope. still nothing has passed it. A few have claimed they have, then under scrutiny its been shown they cheated. There exists no current true AI system. AI is just a marketing buzz word people use, it was the in thing to throw around to get funding before 'blockchain' came along.

You're correct in a very disingenuous way. What you're referring to as 'true AI' can't really exist given that we (humanity; the scientific community) don't even have a very strong understanding of how cognition works never mind consciousness. A lot of humans would fail the Turing test. AI isn't just a buzzword. AI means a human has been cut out of some decision making process. We need stronger governance over these matters because it's a sure fire way for companies and governments to try and obfuscate and avoid responsibility for the consequences of these systems. 'Weapons of Math Destruction' is a good read for anyone interested in these matters.

forkboy84 posted:

Sounds like nerd poo poo that matters less than shinty OP.

You didn't post a cat picture, motherfucker.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Noxville posted:

The comical thing about Starmer taking this stance is that more Conservative voters oppose the policy than Labour voters support it, so from a raw data perspective, if you wanted to maximise appeal on the subject you’d oppose it

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/travel/survey-results/daily/2022/04/14/8bb29/1

Polls are useless. What you need is a focus group of ex BNP voters.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Worth noting that the Wakefield result for Labour % was lower than what they got in 2017.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

peanut- posted:

The party have tweeted that it's their best result there since 2001 and Labour MPs are saying the same on TV. 2017 is being written out of history, it can't ever be acknowledged.

Lmao what a bunch of absolute clowns.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

bustin keaton posted:

What happened to that apparent Starmer Covid rules violation announcement?

He bribed them with a sack of wet eggs.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What's really funny is the 'we need to break away from these opressive trade agreements' guys who then instantly have to sign a bunch of even more opressive trade agreements when they find out what actually happens in a free trade environment.

Reminds me of the running joke on Trashfuture about crypto guys accidentally reinventing central banking, or libertarian tech guys reinventing central government.

I like all the rideshare startups that keep inventing the bus.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I thought his living quarters were actually in No. 11 and Chancellor lives in No. 10 living quarters.
I know it changed for Blair/Brown and I think it stayed like that? I might be wrong!

Yes Blair moved into No11 because it's bigger and he had kids at the time, and basically everyone since has stayed there.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

Maybe by never strike a deal it's because he's admitting how awful he is at negotiations.

He's against striking workers, striking deals, and striking a chord with voters.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Why do people in this thread have such a hard on for PR when it'll just lead to constant centre/right wing coalitions?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

jiggerypokery posted:

We have the Coalition, but forever.

It's just that the coalition exists within the main parties.

Like the poster above I never said that I am pro-FPTP but I have a issues with PR being touted as an obvious improvement:

1. Parties have internal coalitions, yes, but at least they have to come to a common manifesto to present to voters. And contrary to common perceptions governments do tend to stick to manifesto commitments. Coalitions between parties allow them to burn their manifestos in the name of compromise so voters *never* know what they're actually voting for. The 2010 and 2015 results show this in the burning of the manifestos for the first coalition then Cameron/Osborne making the mistake of promising a bunch of poo poo they didn't actually want to do because they didn't expect to win a majority.

2. List based systems will make it easier to concentrate the power to select candidates more in the careerist central party offices. This would make it harder, not easier, to get leftist candidates who can win seats on ballot papers.

3. It would break or severely weaken the constituency link to elected officials. In the mixed systems like Holyrood this creates a confusing two tier representative dynamic too. What can the process of recall look like under PR? Currently you can't recall an MSP in Scotland.

I certainly think that a PR system that was well thought out could improve things but I'm pretty suspicious of some rushed agreement between Lab/Lib Dems would be any good. Personally my preference would probably look something like having AV in the lower house and replace the Lords with a PR based upper house maintaining the current understanding that the upper house can't block manifesto commitments indefinitely. But at the end of the day I think stuff like the toxic media environment and lack of more regional power distribution is more damaging to our politics than just FPTP.

Julio Cruz posted:

“PR would prevent leftist governments” is quite a take considering that the vast majority of people itt have never lived under a leftist government

Is this any less true of the countries that have PR? According to this list (https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/which-european-countries-use-proportional-representation/) the overwhelming majority of countries in Europe use PR and Europe is still a neoliberal hellhole?

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 6, 2022

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

He's thinking of Ed Vaizey who was one of the Tory MPs who had the whip removed by Boris over the EU stuff. He didn't re-run in 2019 and got made a Lord.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

keep punching joe posted:

I don't remember any other PM hanging around after they were ousted? Thatcher, Blair, Cameron, May all hosed off pretty sharpish didn't they?

Depends on the following leadership contest mostly. The Blair situation was weird because he announced he was stepping down mid-term even though he had previously said he'd serve the full time (but not fight another election), but it was almost a year between that and him actually stepping down. Cameron resigned as leader and May was installed 3 weeks later but only because Andrea Leadsom dropped out and they didn't proceed to a Tory membership vote. It was about 2 months between May resigning and Boris coming in because that contest went all the way to the Hunt vs. Boris vote. So unless there's actually someone obvious and unopposed it's always dragged out a bit.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

People need to keep a few things in mind:

1) Resigning as party leader isn't the same thing as resigning as Prime Minister. All Prime Ministers have stayed on as caretakers while their successor is elected.
2) Resigning as Prime Minister doesn't necessarily result in a General Election. If 'the Crown' (read: top civil servants in the government/palace who would decide what to do) believes there is a workable majority in the commons then they can ask whoever they believe can command a majority to form a government.
3) There's absolutely nothing stopping 'the Crown' sacking Boris as Prime Minister if he can't command confidence in the commons. This also doesn't trigger a GE. Since a Prime Minister has never *refused* to resign after losing the confidence of the house doing this wouldn't actually break any precedent at all.

So Boris can't actually call an election. Given that the Tories have a huge majority the only way they won't be able to form a new government is if they descend into chaos, so we can hope, but it's really not up to Boris at this stage. The priority of 'the Crown' will be to do the least controversial thing they can, so they'll give the Tories every chance to form a new government before resorting to a new election.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Antigravitas posted:

I haven't seen it called out itt, so I'd just like to mention that this "deep state" bollocks is just straight "international jewry has undermined our societies" style antisemitism. It's cribbed straight from the OG Nazis.

Eh not really, certainly wikipedia would have us believe the term originated in Turkey in the 90s to refer to the collusion of the military with organised crime against Kurds. It seems to me it's just a catch all term for institutional bias and power within the state held by people in unelected positions (i.e. civil service, military, police, etc). Certainly some arguments using the concept are conspiratorial or nonsensical but you can't exactly say the concept itself is invalid because that would be pretty much saying that institutional bias doesn't exist. How you could look at an organisation like the Met and say that it doesn't have 'deep state' characteristics with all the racism and corruption? I'm sure there was a lot of resistance within the civil service against Brexit but they clearly can't be that powerful because there was gently caress all they could do about it in the end. We had a general saying that the army would intervene if Corbyn became PM. As a concept I think it's clearly distinct from "secret world order" nonsense, and also distinct from "the establishment" which is a much broader concept.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Antigravitas posted:

Yes, really. When someone like Trump or Britain Trump says "deep state", they mean "our institutions have been infiltrated by (((globalists)))". They do not mean institutional inertia, they mean Dolchstoßlegende.

Did you even read my post? I didn't say that some people don't abuse the term. Are you saying we always have to stop using terms whenever any nutter starts using them wrong? Trump didn't invent the term and Trump doesn't own the concept. I don't think many people would take it to mean what Trump implies in any other context and I suspect Johnson used the term more as a dog whistle to the faux "anti-establishment" ethos of the pro-brexit crowd rather than some kind of mad anti-semitic conspiracy.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Antigravitas posted:

I'm saying that when Trump ranted about the shadowy globalist deep state his followers knew exactly what he meant (see for reference: Unite the Right rally). When Johnson follows Trump's rhetoric, it's blindingly obvious what he's angling for, and it's not "state institutions may have a life of their own".

I don't understand why you are giving him the benefit of the doubt when the right-wing press is already importing all the other talking points from the USA that come with the territory. The constant lying of the government, the violating of political norms… it's Trumpism. Boris Johnson is going a Trump. And when looked at in that context, "deep state" cannot have any other meaning.

I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt. It's just a fact that the anti-establishment bent to the Brexit crowd isn't exactly the same as Qanon conspiracy theories, even if it's promoted by Johnson and the right wing media in similar ways. When the Mail ran the "enemies of the people" headline about judges it wasn't promoting a conspiracy theory but that doesn't mean it isn't massively irresponsible and dangerous of them to do it. I don't think getting hysterical about a passing use of a phrase is going to do anything to stop them either.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

For the benefit of the thread here's the latest head to head polling done on the leadership race:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Is she grinning as she talks that poo poo?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

She's the one who was introduced as the leader of Scottish Labia right? Who later came out as lesbian making Sturgeon the only party leader that mattered who wasn't openly gay?

I don't think Dugdale was ever 'in the closet', more that nobody had ever heard of her before so actually nothing really changed. Willie Rennie also isn't gay so Sturgeon wasn't the only one.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

I said party leader that mattered. :smugdog:

Clearly you don't understand what a cultural icon Willie Rennie and his photo-ops were in Scotpol.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

Oh hell yes may she never darken Bedfordshire's door again

Oh yeah I'm sure the Mid Beds conservative party are gonna put up a completely rational person to replace her.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

I hope the guy writes a book about how he got away with it for so long and Netflix make a series on it.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If you're self-employed and work from home then if you DON'T have a dedicated workspace then you can claim something towards utilities subject to how many hours of work you do from home (I used to claim £10 per month for 25h + ). If you have a dedicated workspace then you might be in for Business Rates on that part of your home so you need to check the position VERY carefully.
Last year there was a thing where if you employer asked you to WFH even for just 1 single day you could claim tax relief on £300 - which wasn't contrary to popular belief £300 but that tax on that so IIRC it was something like £65 in a year. And of course, if you did not earn enough to pay tax, you couldn't benefit from that at all if your employer asked you to WFH.

You're only liable for business rates if you have customers coming to your home. Having a home office isn't a problem.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Flayer posted:

I would vote for London to become independent if we could kick out Parliament and all those muppets and have our own muppets instead, but at least they would have to be Londoners.

Only half joking about the Scots referendum but if we're doing everything again we should have another vote for joining the EU (and London gets to rejoin if they vote that way).

London elected Boris first!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Aren't basically all residents in NI eligible for Irish passports too? So any of them could already relocate if they wanted to.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

BalloonFish posted:

My Dad turned 70 this year and when we were going through a bunch of old family photos and papers we found the Ministry of Food ration book for his newborn/baby self, covering sugar, confectionary (that one was scribbled through with a wax pencil) and meat.

Rationing ended in 1954 so it's not like anyone of that age would remember it being a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

I've been to that pub.