Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I've been playing on-off GW games for 25+ years and 40k fiction is mostly garbage that shouldn't be taken serious. But it is passable source material for tabletop/video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Dandywalken posted:

Ork merc party member please

Careful now. That's how you get fungus infection.

Snotlings on your lower decks are no joke.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

spotted the ork kommando mercenary trying to infiltrate the thread

what do you mean? There's no Kommandos here.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Taking cover behind sandbags against twin-linked Lascannons?
The dude should have melted three times over, instead of 4 times over.

Pre-order cancelled.
edit: lol, too late.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

They better let us romance the Navigatrix is all I'm saying :unsmigghh:

I don't think so- it might have been statted out in one of the RT bestiaries, but it's been a while since I cracked them open. I know they were statted out in Black Crusade though.

Owlgames got your back:

quote:

Cassia Statue (8in/20cm)
A unique 8-inch collectible figure of Cassia Orsellio, Navigator and loyal companion of the Rogue Trader.
Although Cassia looks young and delicate, her extraordinary powers strengthen the party immensely.
She may also become more than just a companion.

:wink:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

In the RPG there's a way to get minor psychic powers by getting corrupted and becoming mutated. It's about 1/20 change and you're more likely to be horribly disfigured.
Or you could start worshipping dark gods for a change to get some powers.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Curious, how powerful are Rogue Trader ships compared to, say, the Imperial Navy? I know that any ship capable of interstellar travel is a Big Deal(tm) but are they on par with cruisers or more in line with a destroyer or frigate? I assume they're not on the same tier as Battleships or something like a Battle Bardge.

Rogue Traders can have any and all the ships they can afford. Richest NPC families own literal fleets of ships and rule multiple systems.
Some Rogue traders have even acquired alien vessels.

On RPG side, the player group build their starting ship. Taking cheaper/smaller ship means the family is a rich upstart family. Taking a decked out Battlecruiser means the family is old and on hard times. In game terms you have split between Ship Points and Profit Factor. First is used to buy hull and all components, latter is (mainly) used to acquire rare/illegal items/weapons.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Psyker RT goes to same category as 'there's no rule that Rogue Trader can't be an Ork.' :shrug:
I mean you could make a campaign out of that, but it would completely derail any normal campaign.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I mean Rogue Trader RPG lacks Item/level treadmill that Dnd/pathfinder have.

Starting characters are very competent at the beginning and don't end that much more powerful at the end of long campaign.
There's no endless iteration of magic items with modifiers to feed players. You start with great equipment and maybe get upgrade or two during a long campaign per character.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

kingcom posted:

Also a big part of the 'loot treadmill' is more about working out if you can get 1,000 or 10,000 lasguns to arm a noble house thats going to give you complete mining rights if you help them lead a coup on some backwater planet.

We got a new mining planet on our spreadsheet and Profit factor rose by +2. :tootzzz:
vs.
You got a Long Sword of Flaming +2 :toot:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

It's likely that there'll be various tiers of weapons unlocked over time or found out in the world, anyway. Not as much as Pathfinder, of course, but probably comparable to HBS' Shadowrun games. Like, you'll start with access to Poor or maybe Standard quality gear, and work your way up to Best (or whatever terms RT uses, I don't recall offhand). In fact, if they're smart, Owlcat will keep the scope of this Rogue Trader game similar to the Shadowrun games, maybe a bit larger. Rogue Trader isn't really built for the kinds of years-long epic campaigns that Kingmaker and Wrath are simulating.

That would be 1/10, would not Rogue trade game.

Rogue Traders are immensely wealthy. You are 0.000000000000000001% of the humanity and your wealth is incalculable, except in abstract sense of profit factor. You own literal planets and your flagship is more valuable than most of them. Your ship has a crew in tens to hundreds thousands of people that have lived there generations as your family serfs.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

On my first fight, I accidentally one shotted the Sister of Battle character, because I didn't realize that Tech-priests Axe hits every surrounding character. :fuckoff:

First impression is that characters are fine. They feel like Rogue Trader/40k.
Fighting is ok, although I've only faced gangers so far, that pose no threat. Feels very Pathfinderish and not Rogue Trader at all.

The Equipment aspect feels crap though. You start with lackluster equipment and improvements are very incremental.
You also find lot of literal vendor trash on chests that you can stash on your ship and give away to factions to grind out their reputation. Full stash of ganger weapons give something like 100 rep, while you need 10000 to reach tier 2 reputation.
You can also purchase stuff with your profit factor, which gets temporarily spent. Starting one was 33/33 and you slowly regenerate it back to maximum. I didn't see anything worth purchasing though from the first 2 vendors. Maybe if you grind the rep, you get something interesting.

One hilarious thing that happened, was an athletics test on one of the rooftops. Half of my team got exhausted trying to get to the other roof and there was some quest thing there. Otherwise it was a dead end. Rest of my team got exhausted trying to jump back, only my last character succeeded, otherwise I'd probably be stuck there. Now I need to find some place to rest to remove all the fatigue...

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

what's the consensus so far?

It is Pathfinder ... IN SPAAACE.

If you liked their previous games, you will like this one.
My favourite part has been the Space Exploration. Lot of planets to scan, mini dungeons to explore and naval fights.
Naval fights have been a sleeper hit for me. Maneuvering against fleets of smaller ships is fun puzzle activity.
It just needs more support ships and crew abilities to make it more complex.

Regular combat is fun too, but they've homogenized the damage values of the weapons too much. 2nd encounter in the game dropped Thunderhammer, which is a BFD in the ttrpg and in 40k. Here it is slightly better than a Chainsword I had and I have since replaced it with another sword.

My biggest hate on the game are the companions. They're mostly huge colossal assholes. They don't have flaws, they are the flaws.
Not a single, actually likeable character so far.
But I had the same problem with Kingmaker characters so maybe that is just how Owlcat does things.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Has anyone recruited the Cold Trader lady yet?

I can't find her quest location nor her. Quest log says that the target location should be in the north-east of the map.
Only place I've found is that gang hide out, with a fight that solves the gang quest. Is that it?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

20 hours in and those were top 2 encounters so far.

Yeah, the grenades are overtuned so far compared to other Area attacks.
Flamers, Psychic lightning bolts or Navigators Warp Gaze are all weaker than a regular Frag Grenade.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Yeah. My best use for frag genades was on deathwatch rpg,
where dropping them on your feet made Genestealers dodge them out of melee range
and thus losing their multiple attacks for the turn.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Rogue Trader is less complex than DnD variants on virtue of no spell bloat.
Both casters have 2-3 spells they use occasionally, but they both mainly do melee (inquisitor) or snipe (unsanctioned).
Most complex character I have is Navigator who has leadership abilities to make allies move and attack out of turn.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

There was a Chaos Space Marine on one of the random warp encounters and he was kinda a pushover.
Bit tougher than my average retinue member, but went down in a concentrated round of attacking.

Didn't feel like he had an unnatural toughness + Power armour at all. Didn't drop his armour either, which was sad. #Roguetraderproblems

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gULQBFNgvdA

At least we don’t have to worry about Owlcat failing to understand that the Imperium are also villains.
No Necrons on that video is bit disappointing.
I hope they're included in the final game.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

If you look at the last 30 seconds of the video it's literally an animation of the Rogue Traders arriving at a Necron Tomb.
Yeah, that was on the original trailer too, but this was a factions introduction video and there's plenty of interesting factions missing.
Only Humans, spiky humans, elves and spiky elves were on the video.
Necrons were the biggest one missing in the introduction.
Orcs or Genestealers/Lictors can be a random encounters or whatever.
No Tau or Dwarves either, but I wouldn't miss them if they were absent.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm a little concerned about how the promo materials seem to be really digging into the chaos versus good boy narrative.

Maybe I'm by myself over here but I was hoping for more of a dynasty building colony/fleet pursuit rather than a big narrative story campaign.

General Spoilers from alpha

I mean the narrative of the Alpha, which is the 2nd chapter of the game, is about you reclaiming your dynasty holdings and becoming crowned as the new Rogue Trader of the Dynasty.
There's not exactly free-form dynasty/fleet building. You explore places and gain resources/people and sometimes claim a planet to your dynasty.
There's occasionally mini-dungeons that you find that you can explore.
1st chapter that isn't in the Alpha established you as the heir and you have a nemesis that's a chaos worshipper. They weren't directly shown on the alpha, but pursuing/fighting them is likely the matter of the 3rd chapter.
Chaos vs humanity seems to be the theme here.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Anno posted:

They’ve already shown off a variety of in-game necron units right?

We have? I don't remember any and didn't see any inside the Alpha.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

:nice:
We can go Tombworld robbing.
If they just added some Orks as random encounters...

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I dont know posted:

I confess, I don't know if it would be better with the party humoring the ork, the party just not noticing, or some combination of some realizing and others not.

Most of the baselines humans don't know anything about aliens.
He's just a bulky 'Uman with green paint.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

So is there any easy way to raise your profit factor?

Just finished the 1:st chapter and my 15 PF is pathetic. Can't afford anything.
Literally got lvl 6 rep with the mechanicus. but can't buy poo poo.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 4, 2023

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

IIRC in Act 2 (where you get to explore the areas around Footfall) you should get contracts and stuff where you trade the resources from your planets for PF and other resources. At least, that was how it worked in the alpha. They should be listed in your journal.

Yeah. I remember that too, but for some reason the Orders menu was empty.
Found out that you get Orders after you finish the Footfall section and start to explore.
Probably was same in the Alpha.

edit: Looks like you can get up to 20 Profit factor from the Order and can spend up to 8 PF to get other resources.
edit2: Ooh. Went to the monastery colony and you get lot of PF from building colony up.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 5, 2023

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Biggest fault with Idira is that her psychic abilities feel little meh.

I mostly use Idira as my 3rd sniper. Yrliet and Cassia are the other two.
Rest of my party is Argenta, Heinrix and Close combat rogue trader.

Nearly finished with 2nd chapter and the skills/leveling are the biggest disappointments so far.
1st tier Fighter/Marksman are solid choices with some fun abilities
IDG the adept. Just feels like a waste of time.
Leadership is ok for doubling better characters turns, but it locks you into Vanguard role in 2nd tier, which isn't that good for ranged characters.
Literally can't raise my Ballistic skill on 2 of my sniper/leadership characters.

on 2nd tier
Hunter is solid for snipers. Prey mechanic seems fine, although most of abilities are a wall of text.
Assassin and vanguard feel meh.

Also raising stats/skills doesn't feel that fun.
My Rogue trader has over 200+ Persuade, because that's what I've took every level.
Ïs it excessive? Probably, but I don't have any idea how much you need and really want to succeed on diplomacy.
Same with other characters. Argenta takes Demolition every time, another takes commercial every time etc.

On positive side the Story and exploration is fun.
I literally explored the whole Koronus expanse, before doing any planets after Footfall. Lot of fun and unique stuff to be found.
Now all my planets are developed and my Profit Factor is over 100, so It is time to ascent to my capital for the first time.

edit: One little pain in the rear end on design is the colony management.
All the colonies are far away of each other and they constantly require you to return to orbit to manage some choices and/or get loot.
Just let me manage that stuff from wherever I'm at currently. All my routes to colonies are safe, so it just takes lot of clicking to travel.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 10, 2023

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, I just Cheat Engine'd myself 10000 Navigator Insight and covered the map in green lines.

If you know the general location of the colonies (From playing alpha), you can just paint those routes green and still have some Nav.insight to spare.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

How are the psyker powers in this game?

I pretty much always play caster archetypes in RPGs and have trouble connecting with them if there isn't something in that vein for my character to pursue.

3 of your companions have psychic abilities and you can make your Rogue Trader into a Sanctioned psyker too.
1st one is a melee inquisitor with access to buff type spells
2nd one is Unsanctioned psyker. She gets one bigger spell that is tied to staff she is carrying and she can take same buff spells as the inquisitor.
Personally I ignored the staffs and gave her Sniper Rifle.
3rd one is a Navigator with unique gaze based abilities plus she's a leader, so she buffs and gives extra turns for your other party members.

I haven't tried to make my Rogue trader into a Sanctioned Psyker, but they get the Staff spells and can learn the buffs too.
There's Melee/ranged weapon/leadership options too on top of that.

Mind you. none of the spellcasters have huge spell lists like in DnD or Pathfinder.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Hit a game breaking bug.
During the coronation the exit from Von valancius palace yards are blocked by a closed door.

After the coronation the door is open, but the map shows the door section black and I can't walk through the door to exit.
So can't go to my ship to continue adventure.
Anyone else had this happen to them?

edit: Reloaded an earlier save and it worked.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 10, 2023

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Aramoro posted:

What are the chances of any campaign map stuff being optional?

None.
Chapter 2 is all about exploring the Koronus expanse and trying to find your dynastys 3 lost colonies.

The colony management is 100% optional though.
Also the exploring is the most fun part of the game.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Nephthys posted:

Wow, thanks this is super helpful.

From what I've seen about the companions they are something like this:

Argenta is a Ministorum Priest Marksman
Abelard is Naval Officer Warrior
Idira is a Divination Unsanctioned Psyker Operative
Heinrix is Biomancer Sanctioned Psyker Warrior
Jae Crime Lord Marksman
Cassia Unique Navigator Officer
Pasqal Unique Techpriest Operative
Yrliet Unique Eldar Operative

I've heard they haven't changed from the beta except for the name changes but obviously can't confirm, but it does seem odd to have 3 Operatives and only 1 Officer.

Jae was an Officer in Beta, not operative. So 2-2-2-2 spread on the classes.

I'm not buying that 2 officers are necessary nor even that useful.
Yes they can give their actions to other and give extra turn as their ultimate.
Meanwhile Warriors can do charge attack + normal attack as standard.
Also both Warriors and Marksmen get to do attack 3+ times as their ultimate ability.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

That's why I have always 2 warriors on my party.
My commissar Mustache and either Heindrix or Abelard as 2nd.
Sister Argenta gives some fire support and Navigator Waifu Cassia bosses everyone around.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Further Reading posted:

From what I remember each option used more bullets, so full auto was easier to hit because of the large number of bullets being fired in the direction of the target, but the downside is that many of those bullets would miss so you're wasting ammo. However if I remember correctly the game was lethal enough that you'd probably still kill your targets before needing to reload and bullets weren't very expensive to buy, especially in rogue trader.

It was a harder choice in Dark Heresy, because characters were generally very poor in the start.
In Rogue Trader it is assumed that you have infinite stock of ammo for your guns inside your ship and carry a reasonable amount of it with you.

Later FFG 40k rpgs changed the modifiers other way around, so that single shots were easier to hit and autofire hardest and my group used that system in Rogue Trader too.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Further Reading posted:

What was the advantage of using autofire with that system? Was it something like you can theoretically get multiple hits or something like that?

Pretty much.
Autofire is still pretty good choice, if your character has great BS, but it isn't no brainer anymore.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Xun posted:

Do the genestealers have sick cars

the sickest:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Ah, communism.

Blood for the Blood God Commune. Skull for the Throne Community Center of Skulls.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

One hour to go!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Phanatic posted:

You can get it on GOG if Steam is still hosed up (which it was for me, same thing: DLC available for purchase but not the game, so I bought it on GOG.)

You can't get it on GOG, if you preordered. Only Steam, Epic (lol) or consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Barreft posted:

Does this not have Steam Cloud saving? Opening it up on the Deck only has a new game option

Steam deck cloud sync works now.
Earlier when you posted it didn't, but I synced my saves on both PC and Steam deck today and it works now.

:iiam: