Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It's whatever you take from it. There's a ton of stuff there, and you can engage with it as seriously as you want. The product and the lore have evolved quite a bit in the past 30 years. There's satire there, and also a lot of way-too-serious tryhard poo poo, and increasingly nowadays there's even good, serious storytelling. You can find as much cool and engaging stuff as you like. You can also find Inquisitor Sherlock Obi-Wan Clousseau. Just don't give yourself terminal brain poisoning and you'll be fine. It's just a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Lady Radia posted:

sorry im sure i'm coming off more argumentative than i intend. my takeaway from that sort of description is just that it's.. another really grimdark "look how GRITTY our storytelling is" sort of thing, where people take the piss out of it occasionally, and that it's as a result.. just kind of skindeep. i dunno.

Nah, you're good. There are distinct eras of 'hams that are exactly what you describe. In the past few years they have tried very, very hard to step away from that and be serious, but still grim and dark.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

pentyne posted:

Aside from the tank sized weapons that can one-shot anyone at the drop of hat in RT, doesn't the w40k game in general emphasize melee? The tabletop game always seemed to have that RPS balance component where charging melee can absolutely gently caress up ranged units once in range, and why Tau having their ludicrous gun range was a big deal because they would straight up melt in physical combat.

I think it was posted that in RT melee is high risk high reward, but not any of the mechanics like "charging a lascannon is dumb but if you make it you effortlessly kill the gunners" vs "1v1 melee is dice rolls to see who one-shots who"

From an old post where a goon played out what would happen if an Eversor with a Halo Artifact fought a Bloodthirster using the FFG 40k rules:

The Bloodthirster Malathax roared in triumph. The puny rabble before it all lay dead or dying. Now, nothing would stop it from breaching the fortress walls. It cared little for the reasons it had been summoned, or why those who had called it wanted this fortress destroyed, for all it sought was blood for the blood god, and much blood had been shed this day. It knew that within the walls were more battles, and the skull of an Inquisitor, quite the prize compared to the chaff they had sent to delay it. All it had to was break the walls.

And, as fate would have it, the walls broke for it.

A meltabomb from within the fortress ripped a hole in its defenses, and Malathrax heard a strange keening from within. Before the smoke even had time to clear, a black blur flew screaming from the hole and was upon Malathrax before he could even react.

quote:

Eversor Initiative: 36
Bloodthirster Initiative: 8
The little figure almost moved faster than even Malathrax's infernal senses could perceive, but Malathrax felt more pain than its mortal shell had ever known as it crashed into his torso and ripped huge strips of flesh away. Its hide of brass and daemonic power were as useless as flak before its assault.

quote:

Eversor Round 1:

Berserker-Slaught grants 5 extra attacks on the charge

Lightning Attack w/ Power Sword 53/90, Lightning Attack w/ Neuro-Gauntlet 69/90, five attacks with Power Sword 6/90, 86/90, 18/90, 26/90, 11/90 for a total of nine powersword hits and three Neuro-Gauntlet hits.

Power Sword damage: 34, 32, 30, 32, 33, 35, 34, 36, 36, Pen 6 each vs Armor 13 and TB 16 = 95 wounds of damage.

Neuro-Gauntlet damage: 31, 26, 28 Pen 8 vs Armor 13 and TB 16 = 22 wounds of damage. Immune to Toxic.

Bloodthirster wound count: 80/192.
Malathrax screamed in fury as the thing danced around its swipes before finally catching it with one hand and throwing it to the ground. It looked like a man, but smelled like nothing it had ever encountered. Its helmet resembled a grinning skull, almost mocking his pain, as if the Blood God himself had sent an emissary of his contempt. Malathrax bellowed once more, and smashed his axe cleanly into the abomination's torso.

It didn't stop flailing.

quote:

Bloodthirster Round 1:

Bloodthirster attacks: 9/99. Eversor dodge attempt: 98/78.

Second attack: 14/99. Eversor dodge attempt: 23/78.

Axe of Khorne damage: 41 Pen 28, Felling 8, total of 36 wounds.

Eversor wound count: 18/54
The man - the thing - actually heaved the axe out of its chest with one hand and sprung up, pulling two small charges from its belt as it sheathed its sword in a single fluid motion. Somewhere in Malathrax's fury-addled mind, it recognized the threat these charges posed, but its pride and rage refused to let it give any ground to this insolent little mortal.

The Eversor, exploiting Malathrax's stubbornness, ducked under its swipes and stuck its melta charges on both of its knees. As they exploded, engulfing the daemon in flame and nearly ruining its legs, it slid out of range of the blast, letting out its maddening keening.

quote:

Round 2:

Eversor switches drugs to Auto-Coagulants, fails Regeneration roll.

Sheathe sword, pull out two meltabombs, throw/stick on

29, 46, both successes regardless of WS or BS

35 and 32 damage, Bloodthirster fails to dodge the first (80/50). 25 Wounds of damage. Bloodthirster is lit on fire. 55/197 Wounds.

Dodge to avoid first blast by Eversor removes him from radius.
This wasn't right. This wasn't fair. A pathetic worm had not only carved open its chest, but it had survived a blow from an Axe of Khorne Himself and blown most its legs to ribbons. As fire engulfed Malathrax's body, it experienced fear for the first time in millennia.

quote:

97/85 WP roll for being on fire, Bloodthirster runs around screaming.
The Eversor's mind ran at a thousand miles an hour, seeing the great daemon before it screaming in pain and trying to flap its great wings to escape. The Machine within it screamed with the same fury as the voice of the Emperor, both demanding the blood of the beast. He drew his sword and ran at the fleeing Bloodthirster, belting an inhuman screech.

quote:

Eversor Round 3:

Eversor activates Berserker-Slaught, gets three bonus attacks, charges once more.

Power Sword Lightning Attack: 95/90 rerolled to 81/90, Neuro-Gauntlet Lightning Attack 36/90, Power Sword bonus attacks 31/90 39/90 98/90 for a total of three Power Sword hits and five Neuro-Gauntlet hits.

Power Sword hits: 33, 33, 38 Pen 6 = 35 wounds of damage.

Neuro-Gauntlet hits: 28, 28, 28, 30, 32 Pen 8 = 41 wounds of damage.

Bloodthirster wound count: -26/197

FATALITY
The Eversor lept onto Malathrax's shoulders, grasping its great neck with its Neuro-Gauntlet with one hand, and sawing its head off with the Power Sword in the other. As the Bloodthirster's body dissolved into warpfire and blood, the Eversor screamed its praise to the Emperor and to the Machine at the heavens.

------

Inside the fortress, the Inquisitor watched as his little toy ripped its way through the hordes of daemons, never slowing in its eternal killing sprint. It had been quite a challenge to appropriate an Eversor from the Officio Assasinorum without them noticing anything was amiss. It had been even more difficult to bargain his way into possession of a Halo Artifact without the wrong eyes noticing. It had been nearly impossible to keep the Eversor controllable after fusing it with the Halo Artifact, even with cryostasis and hypnotic suggestions. And yet, as he watched a daemonic incursion that could break a thousand regiments fleeing before a single man, he knew that it had all been worth it.

_____
Melee gets a little nuts.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

In theory, beyond the boundaries of the Imperium proper, within the remit granted by the Writ of Trade, a Rogue Trader speaks with the Emperor’s Voice and is not subordinate to the Inquisition. In practice, this depends on 1) How much power and influence the Rogue Trader has, 2) how much power and influence the Inquisitor has, and 3) Whether or not either side thinks they can get away with trying to flex on the other.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

I don't think it will be, if it's anywhere near to how Rogue Traders are usually presented, honestly- after all, you not just the 1% of the Imperium's 1%, you're also a space-conquistador. Think to all the excesses of colonialism, then realize that you're not only encouraged to turn all that to 11, you're expected to. Indeed, it is a sacred duty (and I'm not speaking figuratively here).

From one of my group’s Rogue Trader sessions:
Psyker: Isn’t this entire endeavor completely hosed? We just orbitally bombarded the largest city on this feudal world out of existence!
Navigator: And tomorrow, we’ll visit the largest city remaining on this planet. And the next day, we’ll visit the largest city on this planet. And we’ll keep on visiting the largest city on this planet, day after day, until there are no more cities, or until they give us what we want.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Lassitude posted:

Navigators are definitely mutants. Abhumans are genetically stable, navigators aren't. Two ogryns will produce a little baby ogryn that will have a totally predictable form, teratogens aside. Navigators, on the other hand, have pretty random mutations. Extra eyes. No eyes. More joints in limbs or digits. Weird tumours. Whatever. It's such that within navigator houses they actually tightly control who can produce children and who can't. Too many mutations and you're single for life.

My personal favorite is the house pairing that lead to all the babies being born as writhing masses of flesh around a massively enlarged and permanently opened pineal eye, killing everyone in the room when they popped out.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I played WOTR at launch. Every single NPC had a horse or a bear, inexplicably. I think there was a bug where it was generating characters with more feats than they were supposed to have, so they defaulted to Animal Companion.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

pentyne posted:

Also, I'm playing on the lowest possible settings because I don't want to deal with fps and frame stutters more then what is already happening in combat so its kind of a ugly late 2000s looking mess.

Hilariously, line of fire in this game means you may or may not hit everyone in the way if you miss, including allies. The second big fight I was in the enemies kept killing each other by firing their shotguns when their buddies were in their LoF.

Giving me that old Fallout/Fallout 2 vibe, nice

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Their third eye sees into the Warp, and through it, the Warp sees back. Because of the Navigator gene, they can survive looking into the Warp; other people are not so lucky and tend to have their souls annihilated.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Which is funny, because frag grenades are more utility items rather than viable weapons in tabletop.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Megasabin posted:

As someone who has not played their 2 previous games, the idea I’m getting from reading this thread and others on different forums, is that this is an amazing concept for a turned based RPG, but Owlcat is not at all equipped to be the company to pull it off with the merit the concept deserves.

We bitch, but it is because we love their poo poo. They really do need to work on ridiculous number inflation, but that’s all stuff that can be fixed, if not by themselves then by mods.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

40K: Rogue Trader - Beta released! More bugs than ‘nids!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

I'm gonna romance the chick with the third eye

The navigator probably has even more money than you do and wields considerable influence in society, so that’s fine from our ethical framework; her family would have you killed in the most blatant fashion though.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Basically all of the romances in The Old Republic are a nightmare of power imbalances. You are 80% of the time romancing your padawan, your military subordinate who MUST follow your orders , or your literal slave.

The only vanilla romances in SWTOR that don’t have that kind of creepy dynamic are the bounty hunter (partners) and the smuggler (your former boss and business partner, warrior lady who definitely takes the lead on you, or the galaxy’s biggest simp).

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Eldar: My race is dying, our souls doomed to be consumed by She-who-thirsts, because of the wanton debauchery and degeneracy of those we left behind. We must live lives of strict discipline in order to have any hope of avoiding a fate worse than death.

Also Eldar: lmao now watch me gently caress this mon’keigh

Preechr
May 19, 2009

chainchompz posted:

They're based in Cyprus, though?

Everything Russian is, for financial reasons.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

If you aren’t cheating, is it really grimdark space capitalism?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

pentyne posted:

Unless this is an endgame weapon disregard what I said about starting equipment holding up midway into the game because holy poo poo

I don’t know how directly those numbers are relatable to the FFG games but sometimes you just need to be able to melee a leman russ to get at the juicy center.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I had to restart WotR six times in the first two weeks because of progress-stopping bugs. On the first day, every NPC had a horse companion, including all townspeople. Sosiel had a bear. The bear had wings.

Launches are very special times.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

There is kind of an explanation for why the Expanse wouldn't be too badly affected by the Great Rift: that far out you can't see the Astronomican half the time anyway.

Don’t worry, there’s something similar to the astronomican in the Expanse. It’s on Iniquity!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Confused by Gleam of the Final Dawn - I've walked all around the Upperway and there doesn't seem to be anything for me to Interact with or anything. I've cleared the Warehouse, the Sewer, I've talked to the Governor. No idea what I'm supposed to be doing.

Leave to your ship, then go back to the planet but to the newly revealed area this time (the monastery but it’s named something funny).

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Sab669 posted:

I did walk all the way back to the Starport but I couldn't seem to board it

You should be able to board your shuttle from the governor’s bunker. If you can’t, it’s because you haven’t destroyed the AA battery yet. Go back to the battery and click on it a few times to blow it up.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Mulva posted:

In a game that includes a Space Marine he may not be the biggest bruiser, but the only ride or die on my team is Abelard. If only because of the man's perfect ability to respond to "Abelard, announce me." as like 30 people are dead and a demon has popped into reality or some such.

Having Abelard announce you is always the correct option, except for the one time you can tell Pasqal to announce you. Completely loving awesome.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

House of Habsburg... IN SPACE!

She does have the strangely elongated limbs mutation, as well as toothy gills, talons, and whatever is going on with her projective empathy.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Okay so I looked away and suddenly this thread had 800 unread posts which is usually a pretty good sign for a game that's just been released. What's the consensus view on release? Is this is a classic Owlbear 'wait a few months for them to patch it up?' case?

Is character building forgiving or are they once again balancing for optimisation?

The only bug I’ve encountered so far is a heroic moment that glitched out and prevented me from ending my turn; all I lost was about 5 minutes of one combat. I guess the bounty hunter ultimate couldn’t figure out which prey to shoot or something.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

For the life of me, I can't find the bar in the shadow section of Footfall. Any advice?

The furthest point north on the map.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Caidin posted:

So assuming you go to the prison planatoid thing first, and happen to save Evayne in the process, does he actually show up on the ship anywhere I can talk to him or something? I'd sort of like to hob nob.

He shows up on the ship even if you don’t go there first, just in a lightly-used condition. He then leaves.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I like to think that the Emperor is constantly observing and living vicariously through Ciaphis Cain, because after 10000 years of torment and all of human history before that he was finally curious what life would be like if he wasn’t a colossal dick and could just enjoy things. It’s why he never dies in all his wacky adventures, because the Emperor refuses to let his favorite show get cancelled and demands a new season.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

How are plasma weapons in this? Thinking to give Pasqal a rifle but damage looks kind of middling vs his needle rifle

They’re pretty good. With the right talents you can overpenetrate quite a bit, you get an area attack, and in chapter 2 you can get a plasma gun that never overheats. They generally have decent magazine sizes but only fire one shot at a time.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Oh drat, mind sharing where that plasma is? Got a multimelta last night for Argenta so once I get her the proficiency I will try that while Pasqal uses plasma.

It’s one of the possible first tier project rewards from the Kiava Gamma colony.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

It’s quite a bit west of Janus.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

Considering the canon move for Inquisitors is to try and prod the chaos relic "just to see what it does before destroying it" ; then either immediately blow up into an abomination in a shower of innards or go stir fry cazy enough that another Inquisitor has to dome the first ; they oughta.

But of course, "Listen to me, I know a TON of things about this poo poo !" is also whence the hubris of touching the poo poo stems from in the first place. The Inquisition is a closed cycle of weaponized stupid.

Remember that one scene in Astartes? When something like that started to happen you bet your rear end I was looking for the “execute immediately” option.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

40k: Rogue Trader: Fully manual misery heretical space capitalism

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Your ship carries like 80% of a cruiser’s armament, moves like a raider, and when upgraded ends up with grand cruiser shields and cruiser or better armor, not to mention that one of your prowess armaments can be a loving lance. It’s a ridiculous ship.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm concerned I might be accidentally flirting with the elf.

I'm a long time tabletop 40K player. I hate eldar, When I picked the platonic options I wasn't playing hard to get.

I'm about where I was when I stopped playing the beta, right after the coronation. The mayor of dargonus is 100% an op And I'm annoyed I can't call him out on it.

From what I’ve seen, you have to spend a lot of time trying to convince her you’re a person and not an animal to progress down that track. Just keep agreeing to disagree and love won’t bloom.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Outside of the prologue I have noticed almost no reactivity to the Rogue Trader being a psyker, but I’m only most of the way through chapter 2.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

If she ever complains, just point out to her that even the highly looked up to Celestine is entirely fine working alongside them depending on the circumstances - and in fact possibly is doing so at the exact same time as this adventure is taking place (depending on just where we are timeframe-wise in relation to the survivors of Cadia retreating).

It is highly unlikely she even knows that Celestine exists or that Cadia fell. Not only is she temporally displaced, the people of the Koronus sector don’t know what is happening in the greater Imperium, only that the Maw has closed and the astronomicon is shrouded. There is no mention of the cicatrix maledictum because they are on the wrong side of it and the Maw is between it and them.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

id like a tip about spoilers for Janus: do I HAVE to kill all these rebels in the forest after i let the Eldar lady take me there?

Some but not all of them. The first encounter from the climb-down is mandatory. You can talk your way out of the one by the webway portal, and if you do, the ones from the upper ledge before the climbdown despawn.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Further Reading posted:

My character hosed Jae and then became invisible for a long period of time.

You just went down to the agri-world to pick up some lho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

There is even a dogmatic choice for cooperation where you tell the filthy xenos they can live out in the jungles and coexist with some level of cooperation but humans will only be ruled by humans. I appreciate how much this game lets you get away with so long as you can justify it For The Emperor.