Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Kobal2 posted:

Can you have perks from different dispositions at the same time ? I know it seems optimal to just stick with one and max it (that top tier Benevolentia one seems, huuuh, ooookay), but for curiosity and RP's sake...

I managed to in the beta but the biggest increases come from mutually exclusive choices so it's probably hard to play all three sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

CommissarMega posted:

What kind of bugs did they mention? I don't want to spoil myself too much on anything else.

From the PC Gamer review:

quote:

The other thing that sapped my goodwill is bugs. While it runs smoothly on my rig (and managed to run at over 30fps even when I tested it on a laptop with a 1060), I've had quest bugs and problems with the AI. I had to restart after a quest-blocking bug 18 hours in, and had characters insist I help them with problems I already solved or offer their services after being recruited. One enemy ran back to the beginning of the map on the first turn and hid there, meaning after dealing with his friends I had to trek back in turn-based mode to finish the fight. Allies sometimes don't act on their turns, and distant enemies sometimes take a full minute to decide what they're doing. The camera doesn't always move where it's supposed to when dialogue pops up during battles, meaning I have to read it in the log after. The log reverts to Russian when describing Perils of the Warp, and explains why I have to reroll successes by saying "%Reason%". Two of my combat abilities stopped working for a while, and the tech-priest's utility mechadendrites, which are supposed to give him a +10 bonus to Demolition and Tech-Use, instead give him a +1,020 bonus. I could go on.

Kinda expected from Owlcat although you'd hope they'd have figured out by now not to have these kinds of issues on launch. The progression-blocking bugs still being there is really bad, I remember having a few of those in beta as well and I'd really hoped they'd have fixed them by now.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I said come in! posted:

Ouch, the PC Gamer review is a 59/100. But you all are thinking they are way off the mark?

Tbh I've stopped caring about review numbers. He docked the game several points for not liking the combat, but that's not going to be the thing that keeps me from enjoying it so what might be 6 for him is possibly an 8 to me. I mostly wanted to know if the game is an implacably buggy state and I should hold off for a month or two or if I'm good to go on release date, since Owlcat's got a bit of a history of releasing their games in a not-too-great state.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

pentyne posted:

It's wild someone said that about Bioware when Larian just released not only the best crpg of the year, but the best Baldur's Gate game for the very franchise that made Bioware relevant in the first place.

I'm assuming this reviewer just wants their space RPGs to be like Mass Effect, a bad opinion but not an uncommon one.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

EclecticTastes posted:

After Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous, I think I'll give this one a year to be actually playable from start to finish. As I recall, Owlcat's previous games also came out to rave reviews, despite being barely playable past the first few hours. Given the studio's shady behavior up to this point (releasing what could be generously called a beta, claiming it's complete, and then "re-releasing" it as an "enhanced edition" a year later in order to get back on the storefronts' front pages once they fixed all the game-breaking stuff and can actually call it finished without it being an outright lie), I wouldn't be shocked if the beta for RT was deliberately polished up to make sure it looks like "no really we've improved this time trust us bro" and then the whole back half of the game is, as in the last two times this has happened, barely functional. Definitely excited to play it once it's done, though.

If you want to play the most optimal version with the least amount of bugs it's always a good idea to wait at least another year on a CRPG, this has been a truism for a while now.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

EclecticTastes posted:

There's a huge difference between "most optimal version" and "you can actually reach the end of the game without a bug rendering the whole thing unplayable". Fallout: New Vegas was riddled with bugs at launch due to Obsidian's outdated QA practices, but you could at least finish the game. Maybe you didn't play the other two Owlcat games at launch, and didn't experience just how badly broken they were, but they were absolutely in a condition where no honest studio would ever have claimed they were ready to be sold.

Fair, the state of Kingmaker was absolutely abysmal and I didn't play WotR until the EE came out as a result.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Popete posted:

How is Bioware still around? Andromeda was so lack luster, I never played Anthem but it seemed like a real snooze fest.

I guess DA: Inquisition was alright

Bioware stopped being a single studio and became a brand wholly owned by EA over a decade ago. Most of the studios that were put under the brand have been unceremoniously killed off and the two main studios in Edmonton and Austin have supposedly been working on new Dragon Age and Mass Effect games.

Except most of the senior staff has since left and the DA game seems to be in development hell since 2015 so it's not unthinkable they'll just be permanently shuttered in the near future.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah all of this can't be emphasized enough. When people talk about "Warhammer 40k is satire" ehhhh not really, not since the 80s. There have been satirical ELEMENTS, but by and large, for a very long time, you are usually supposed to root for and enjoy the victories of the Space Marines and to a lesser degree the Imperium in most public facing 40k media. That's not to say satire is totally absent, but I don't think satire can ever be effective in 40k except to someone who would have agreed with the satire regardless. Rule of cool and satire are incompatible. You are supposed to enjoy playing Space Marines, which is to say, you are supposed to enjoy playing as fascists. You are supposed to have fun with your particular bespoke army mans, and that means inevitably the setting is going to spend a lot of time portraying some of the worst motherfuckers imaginable in a heroic light. If only because the alternative is worse.

It's the no such thing as an anti-war war film problem. There's no real getting around it.

The thing I've always believed is we all kind of secretly agreed that part of the appeal of WH40K is also vicariously playing out fascist tropes, but with the implicit agreement that everything is so ridiculous you couldn't possible take it seriously. Like joking how somebody would get :commissar: 'd for being able to wiggle their ears. That assumption is/was overly optimistic, people will absolutely take and reframe things as they please, including using them as positive affirmations of their fascist beliefs. Same as some fascists will insist the society in the Paul Verhoeven Starship Troopers is actually cool and aspirational.

It doesn't help that Games Workshop also seemingly can't make up their mind, on the one hand they'll issue public statements telling people that, under no circumstances, you gotta hand it to the Imperium. On the other they've now progressed the timeline again and are actively promoting the leadership of Roboute "I can fix it" Guilliman, or prominently featuring the "Nice" marines of the Salamanders in their promotional material like Pariah Nexus. Whatever satire or commentary there is to be found is completely subordinate to the need for the company to tell you that these plastic soldiers are cool as poo poo and you should buy a new codex today.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Al-Saqr posted:

I am gonna buy this game today and take it for a spin, I am not familiar at all with CRPGs, I'm a little bit intimidated by it, can I play it like any RPG where all I have to do is hit people with a stick until I get enough money/exp enough to buy a bigger better stick?

people on youtube keep putting up pages and pages of numbers and stats and micro-leveling lol

The easy way out is to just crank difficulty down, either by picking the "story" preset or by individually changing difficulty settings. If you feel personally bothered by that for some reason or want to give it an honest college try then the combat isn't actually that complicated or deep, and hitting things with a stick or a big gun solves practically all problems.
You just wanna make sure that when you level you make the right numbers go up. "Weapon Skill" for being better at stick, "Ballistic skill" for being better at gun. You are given two teammates right out of the gate who are each great at one of these and they can probably carry you through the whole game.

The game mercifully takes some time to explain things to you so you won't just be thrown into the deep end and expected to do the math yourself. If you do wanna get into it you just have to read tooltips and given that this is a CRPG you'll do a lot of reading anyways.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Love that Owlcat did the same thing they did in PF and is recommending you either the mist vanilla/uninteresting abilities on level up or just poo poo that straight up sucks.

Pro-tip scroll down all the way and read your options, the standard build sucks.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

How broken is this game? Should I wait a couple of months?

Jury's still out. As far as I can tell nobody has had their progression destroyed yet but I've had to reload to an autosave twice now because something broke and prevented the game from working. If you wanna be save there's no shame in holding out.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Nephthys posted:

No, Games Workshop apparently forbid it.

Is that confirmed GW fiat or is it just Owlcat not wanting to write a romance for her? Because it turns out that whole "Can't romance the barbarian lady in Kingmaker because Paizo said no" thing was just a myth and it was a decision by Owlcat themselves.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

What are everyone's thoughts on the advanced archetypes. I ended up retraining out of Grand Strategist because the zones were annoying to place and Master tactician seems to add more naturally on top of the officer archetype.
I went Archmilitant on Argenta but I'm thinking of retraining as well because it seems designed to encourage switching between melee and ranged as much as possible but I've built Argenta to be pretty much exclusively ranged, since I usually have at least Abelard or Heinrix with me as frontliners. Vanguard seems to be working out pretty well for Abelard.
Took Bounty Hunter on Pasqal, which seems alright if you're using him as a melee, Assassin on Heinrix and Idira also hasn't been bad so far.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Got an interesting visual bug :sun:

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

How is difficulty in this game set up. Is it like Pathfinder where you can just randomly stumble into a combat/quest you're woefully unprepared to handle? I've just finished Janus and have been doing a bunch of exploring and sidequests and all of a sudden I'm running into void combat scenarios I can't possibly win because I don't have the required firepower, small single-map sidequests where I get completely obliterated by turrets before I can even get a hit in, and random awareness skillchecks that are at like -50.

I tried going back to the main quest and landing on Kiava Gamma, since the game subtly pushes you to do that after Janus, only to get obliterated by enemies who can now throw three krak grenades in a row and take out two of my guys in a single turn. I'm starting to wonder if they actually implemented some kind of scaling difficulty system and my level 25 characters are just very poorly optimized to deal with it, even though I absolutely blasted my way through Janus without trouble.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

GoodluckJonathan posted:

If the emperor's biological remains are still around why doesn't he just clone himself?

The Emperor is the specialest special of boys and can't be cloned, or something, the real reason is doing this would advance the setting's story and threaten the original IP holders' ability to sell plastic army men.

GoodluckJonathan posted:

How did Aurora come back to life and turn into a space marine lol ?

My read is that they're different people using the same moniker, you fell for the spooky machinations of chaos.

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Why are people constantly going heretic when it seems *blatantly obvious to everyone* the best case scenario is turning into some sort of monstrosity after a bit of fun?

Living in the Imperium as an average Joe sucks, you are an utterly replaceable cog in a fascist machine that fails to take proper care of you and is only interested in you as another resource to be spent. You live in squalor, have to do back-breaking work for your entire life with little to no chance of improvement and all of the food is British. If you complain too much you get lobotomized and turned into a Servitor. Meanwhile the high-born are constantly styling on you and clearly showing that there's a better life to be had, from which you are excluded by virtue of your low birth.
So being offered to get out of your stinky life and maybe get one over on those pesky nobles doesn't sound like a bad deal, even if the people offering you this chance look like methheads at a death metal concert, can't be worse than your current life, right?

If you're a noble then you're almost automatically a corrupt, gluttonous freak and are being promised even more of what you already have, how could you resist?

Chaos also doesn't tend to tell you upfront what they're actually going to do to you, and information is so heavily controlled that most humans have no way of knowing either.

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Who is in charge of the empire, wait sorry, THE IMPERIUM, if the Emperor is off in lala land helping Navigators through the warp?

A gaggle of senile old men on life support machines known as the High Lords of Terra. Although in the modern timeline they've taken a back seat and are letting one of the Emperor's "Sons" Roboute Guilleman run the show, since he's one of only halfway competent people with a somewhat legitimate claim to his position.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 11, 2023

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Mulva posted:

Hey.

They aren't all men!

You are right, some of them could be potted plants dressed up in finery for all we know.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

habeasdorkus posted:

Is there a way to avoid killing the ||electropriests|| if you do that big fight first? I went to the right side first and had to fight them because they gave me no chance to talk.

Yes, if you clear out the big fight first you'll still have to fight the ones who jump you in the hallways but they ones behind the door will be friendly to you.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

JamMasterJim posted:

Imagine going Bounty Hunter and having to manage 'prey' too.

I went bounty hunter on Pasqal and I barely use it, although the one talent that gives him 2 AP but no attacks every time something does to a crit is very funny, it basically allows me to keep stacking exploits and expose vulnerabilities on enemies.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Oh no they fixed the thing I was exploiting.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I finally got the space marine companion and so far he's doing worse in combat than Argenta.

It amazes how Owlcat, the studio that actively commits itself to making character builds meaningful ly intricate and kind of expects some degree of optimization even on lower difficulties, somehow manages to consistently give companions extremely lovely builds.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Ran into an Aeldari Ambush in Act 4, they dropped my entire team with snipers in the first round and Abelard had to basically do the entire fight by himself. It went on for 54 rounds as the last sniper kept running in circles around a piece of terrain before I figured out how to trick the AI into not doing that anymore.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 16, 2023

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Who designed this jungle planet in act 4.

I just want to talk.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Ok, I think I'm gonna put the game down for a bit after 80 hours. Apparently the quest I'm trying to complete on Quetzal Temer has borked dialogue and it's not offering me the solution I want even if I pass all the skill checks. Will probably come back to it some time after the holidays, hopefully they'll have fixed it by then.

Going by Owlcat's discord it seems like Act 4 has quite a few bugs. Not game-breaking but lots of flags not being set correctly and dialogue options missing, so far it's not actively preventing me from finishing the game but I don't want to have to muck around in toybox for hours for it either.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I guess it's the same as with previous Owlcat entries: most of the quality and polish is front-loaded and by the end the game starts unraveling.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Act 3 Argenta spoiler I was legit more offended with Argenta's revelation in Act 3. She just casually tells you that, oh actually she murdered Theodora during a moment of crisis on the ship because idk she looked like she was up to some funny stuff, and then hides this from everyone. First thing I thought was "are you gonna put a bolt between my eyes too for keeping Idra around or using one too many Drukhari weapons?". But, no, she just drops that bombshell and moves on...

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Janissary Hop posted:

It would be nice to arrive to a single location without immediately being ambushed by the archenemy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

I can't help but laugh every time they say "mun-keh". It sounds so loving stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_8QaWWzL3k

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

emSparkly posted:

If they wanted to focus on others why not Tau? You never see them or their cool robots in these games.

IIRC for the longest time a non-trivial portion of the WH40K audience would get unreasonably upset at the Tau getting any attention at all. Something about them ruining the setting or something, idk.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I stopped using Idira after the second time she exploded first thing on turn 1 while putting down her dodge buff AoE, and the resulting demon casually strolled up and downed another teammate. Maybe that was just a bug, Heinrix never had these issues, but either way I decided I wasn't going to roll the dice on it anymore.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Vanguabelard with Heavy Armor laughs at the concept of taking damage.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

LuiCypher posted:

Heinrix is quickly becoming the Lann of the game, given how stupid easy it is to start his romance by accident and how annoying he's starting to get about it. I just wish that Cassia would be gay with my MC, but it looks like I'll just have to get friendly with Yrliet instead via mutual respect.

I kept romancing Heinrix on the side while also romancing Jae and Yrliet because it amused me how much he insists he's a good boy Inquisitor and won't let his feelings get the better of him and how he's clearly extremely hot and bothered by my Rogue Trader.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Tbh they should let you marry Abelard just to spite all the nobles on Dragonus.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

The resource extraction feels extremely superfluous and undercooked after a while tbh, aside from not being very interesting it's not even your biggest source of material income, except for those scant few planets that have like 17 promethium on them or something. At least they're not making you probe planets though.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Complications posted:

In a largely dogmatic playthrough he's just as ominous and/or ticked, and since I was now a full ceremony-inducted Rogue Trader with attendant privileges that was when I basically agreed that I was on the same side but also he could have his spy back (bye Heinrix) and while I'd help out he would also kindly let me do my Emperor-appointed thing

In my playthrough Heinrix got super anxious about it and warned me beforehand, then during the actual interrogation the inquisitor seemed ticked off about a few iconoclast choices I made: restoring Kieva Gamma instead of bombing it to dust and making a deal with the Aeledari on Janus instead of bombing the planet to dust, but I was seemingly able to bullshit my way out of it with a successful Imperium Lore check. He also subtly implied he's had agents throughout the system for a long time now and could've intervened at any moment which sorta raises the question why he's not bringing up the part where a Drukhari fleet appeared out of nowhere and stole a loving sun, really disappointing I wasn't given a dialogue option to ask about that. I only ended up getting the ring and I got to keep Heinrix tho.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Warmachine posted:

Yep, I spent zero words on Marazhai and his buddies. Well, except the ones I used to antagonize him. There's apparently an achievement for pissing him off at the governor's camp!

I kept antagonizing him, even during the interrogation I managed to pass the persuasion check to convince him I have a secret to share to him then go "aha made you look". After all that I was surprised he wanted to join up with me at all

Jack Trades posted:

I still can't figure out why my Cassia has infinite attack actions (not AP) when using her powers?
I tried reading all the talents and checking all her equipment and even tried respeccing her from scratch, and I still can't figure it out.

Does any one else has the same bug?

If you give her a specific navigator staff, I forget which one, she can keep using offensive abilities but will start taking damage for each extra attack you make with her. The damage is extremely negligible though.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

I am using that staff but the description says that it only resets the cooldown, not that it gives free attack actions.
I tried switching off the staff and I was still able to do 5 Held in My Gaze every turn, although my that's caused by weapon's passive abilities still applying even when they're in the unequipped weapon set? The stat bonuses don't seem apply though when you aren't holding the weapon.

yeah it only stopped happening for me after I gave her a different staff alltogether...then immediately went back to the broken staff because this was also before they fixed her infinite Tactical Advantage stacking so she could blast 5x200 damage on a turn lmao.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

habeasdorkus posted:

After Act 3 I immediately handed him over to Heinrix and the Inquisition. I just wish I could have seen his face when they took him. What the gently caress did he think was going to happen the moment he became anything less than useful to me? Pretty much the only time doing that could be justified. Yrliet doesn't deserve to be tortured to death, and Idira may need to get blammed because of her lack of control and the threat that poses because she's a psyker, but you're not gonna rehabilitate a guy who's an obligate sadistic serial killer. Some Drukhari apparently do eventually make their way to a craftworld and join a Path and stop being total monsters, but I don't see that in the cards for Marazhai.

I'd enjoy having an Exodite world Eldar companion. Just a full on country bumpkin elf who's wowed by travelling the stars even in a non-eldar ship. They bring along their trusty steed - a Tyrannosaurus.

I decided to keep him around, even though he got extremely weird with my Rogue Trader extremely fast. Then when he has his first little episode of having to go through the warp I managed to talk him out of his Slaanesh-induced madness, then promptly told him he was going to be locked up during warp travels and he'll just have to ask Yrliet for pointers on how not to get eaten by demons. Very curious to see if that ends up going anywhere, as far as I've been told doing that locks you out of romance with him, thank god.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Memnaelar posted:

Can you go back to get the Plasma Gun that's hiding out in Act I in later Acts? Alternately, any other good sources to find a Plasma Gun? My tech-priest demands plasma!

Iirc explorators sell one and you can loot a good one on kieva gamma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

A little more voice acting would definitely not go amiss but something that would be an even bigger improvement IMO is giving every character you talk to more than once a portrait.

I don't understand why they don't.
Surely having an artist draw a few dozen quick portraits can't be that expensive can it?

I played through Wrath of the Righteous recently for a second time with a mod that gives every NPC a portrait and it did wonders for helping me keep track of secondary and tertiary story lines.

I can't speak for Owlcat in particular but a lot of artists nowadays have to pull double duty in making both the 2D and 3D assets so yeah...resources spent making more unique portraits is going to either have to be taken away from something else or to be added on top, which means cost increase.
Obsidian tried to get around this in Tyranny by making all the portraits posed mannequins of the characters using the same generic poses, but it didn't actually look very good in practice.

I'm all for more portraits, hell I'd love even some kind of generic guardsman or lower decks extra portrait, even if it ends up being re-used, but it does actually impose a big costs on the development budget.
Voice acting is even worse tho. Larian are absolute lunatics for the amount of time and money that had to be poured into voicing every single thing, including dead people.