Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

But anyway... How long before T starts filling "apology videos" to start inflating his polling numbers with people dumb enough to buy it? "Jesus says we're supposed to forgive".

Admitting fault for anything is so antithesis to the Trump brand that it might be the thing that causes his followers to break with him.

Zwabu posted:

January 6 was the time to pivot. Not loving now when the entire goddam GOP has ensured that Trump will once again be the nominee because everyone except Christie, Hutchison and apparently this guy feel the need to simultaneously suck Trump's dick and somehow pretend to be running against him.

But they would have had to be willing to take it in the shorts and get annihilated for real for at least one election cycle. And only Liz Cheney, Kinziger etc. were willing to fall on that grenade.

But that would have cost McConnell the Senate Majority Leader postion he so dearly loves, which clearly was unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I suppose the more I think about it that most wrestling fans know it's a put on

At this point more or less. The audience has shrunk enough that 95% of the people who watch also have some kind of internet interaction. I'd say only those who are super old/have been watching for decades out of habit/might go to a super local show and that's it wouldn't be in that first group.

quote:

and probably have a sense of humor about the whole thing.

ohmygodholyshitno

quote:

I hadn't even thought of Stephanie so, yeah, good point and calling that poo poo right now. Not toxxing though.

Stephanie is her father's daughter, for better or worse. I figured the bigger own is that both Trump/Vince have son-in-laws who are deep in bed with the Saudis.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

One of the other things that people find astonishing about US prison sentences is that they can just add consecutive sentences up until someone gets 237 years.
And like everywhere else in the world is like "this is super dumb. You may as well just say Life without the possibility of parole and be done with it."
While the US justice system is like "but wait. Maybe this criminal is secretly a caveman who was exposed to a meteor and has an unnaturally long life span. We can't take the chance that he is not!"

The U.S. is that one video game where you're sentenced to a million years for the crime of being born and have to work off your sentence killing monsters or some poo poo.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Not brown enough to be terrorists.

Which means Tarrio might still be hosed.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

goldwater was famously obliterated by lbj with big effects down ticket as well, supposedly discrediting and shutting down the birchers and the rest of the republican crank fringe for a generation. instead the loss ended up laying the foundation for modern mainstream conservatism and the end of the liberal political hegemony that began under fdr

i honestly have no idea where trumpism will go or its potential long term impacts on the political landscape, but i'm ready for the possibility that it sticks around regardless of what happens to trump himself

So essentially a party committed to fascism, and once they inevitably end up with control over both houses and the presidency, we're off to a greatest hits of your favorite dictatorships, this time backed with nuclear weapons.

I at least figured I'd get to the second quarter of Chiefs/Lions tonight before I'd started hating life so thanks for that.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Republicans posted:

Jazt just sounds like the past tense of jizz.

Gonna go and listen to some smooth jizz music

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

In other legal news.

Donald Trump denies giving Australian businessman US nuclear submarine secrets

Given that Trump is denying this on Truth and the Prosecution are planning to call this Billionaire to say "yeah Trump told me everything nuclear for like $25 and a box of Tim-Tams." I know whom I believe is telling the truth.

It's also likely the Aussie said "nice sunset we're having over the ocean" and Trump's train of logic jumped several gaps and led to him talking about secret nuke subs and pulling out classified docs before someone led him away.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Gyges posted:

I imagine it took days of discussion to figure out the order to call the kids in. Like, do you want to start with the coke head, or the one who is dumb by Trump standards? Some real tough pros and cons comparisons going on there. Plus you've got to figure in whether you want to start or end with the competent one who seems to have realized they were in way over their head, and that this was all jeopardizing her personal grift journey.

Call Tiffany first before they all try and flip on her.

Nervous posted:

Judge makes him snort the entire bag right there in front of the court as punishment. Then jail. Maybe he makes him continue testifying before jail. Also a nominal fine.

Don Jr.: Punishment? I was going to do the whole bag at once anyway.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Remember the old saying "If you owe $10,000 to the bank it's your problem, if you owe $100,000,000 to the bank it's their problem."

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
First three words, We're Taking Over

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Cimber posted:

Is there anyone who hasn't hitched their wagon to Trump who hasn't gotten screwed massively? Jesus, Rudy used to be on top of the world, now look how far he's fallen.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Shucks is governor of Arkansas, and while she probably would have gotten there via family connections alone she escaped Trumpworld with a promotion to actual office.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dull Fork posted:

Wait did I read that right? Kagan was a goon at one point?

Posted here under the name "Eggplant Wizard".

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

It’s entirely possible that the Special Counsel’s office actually does know exactly which tweets Trump sent. It’s not like Trump is good at infosec. He does the mob boss poo poo and doesn’t say poo poo, but he’s not exactly tech-savvy. They subpeonaed the hell out out of twitter and we live in a panopticon dystopia of technology, it’s not hard to tell what device did a thing and correlate that with whether or not the President had it.

Apparently the only two people who had access to Trump's Twitter account was him and Scavino. So if you can determine which ones came from Scavino, by process of elimination...

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

InsertPotPun posted:

if this works i'm switching to team trump. if this works trump obviously has some sort of divine help. might actually have a guardian angel, the only person in the entire world. if this works i'll never oppose saint trump again. it's just not worth risking damnation

at this point we have to conclude that either trump is personally blessed by god or has the ability to rewrite reality to his will but in completely ridiculous ways

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I bet you could rattle off names from The Sopranos and Trump would have to think twice before denying he ever did business with any of them.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
So GA's dead in the water, FL's going to get delayed into oblivion, NY's going to get lost in the appeal process, even if Carroll takes him to the woodshed again it won't be a huge number.

Looks like ol' Trump's wriggled out of yet another one en route back to the White House. Who woulda thunk it.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Caros posted:

I'm curious if 'indirectly' counts him throwing a truth social tantrum. Because he was literally defaming her on truth social while in court.

I'm also curious if there is an end to this cycle. Does she get to just keep suing him over and over each time he opens his mouth to spew the exact same lies?

If he keeps defaming her, then she should.

Peyton Manning settled a sexual assault case against a trainer from when he was in college. Both sides signed an NDA, and every couple of years Peyton would slip and say something in public and she would sue and get a couple of million dollars. If you can't keep your mouth shut, then open your wallet.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

mdemone posted:

Anyone would have a hard time right now trying to gain support for her removal, statewide. Kemp will stay out of this publicly. I still tend to doubt that this will affect the GA case at all.

Kemp would like to stay out of this publicly, but if/when Willis gets dismissed he has two things to consider:

1) He's term limited in '26 and what makes the most sense is to challenge Ossoff. To do that he'll need money and thus the good side of the money men, who will also have to take into consideration...
B) Trump is either going to be President or still the head of the Republican Party in '26 and may have a challenger for Kemp in the primary, and it's hard to assume that the challenger will be as bad as Herschel Walker, who still had a fighting chance against Warnock.

Kemp's best play will be to assign someone and give them the instructions to kick the can down the road and dismiss charges after the election, especially if/when Trump wins. If he wants to read the tea leaves and get back in Trump's good graces, he can order the charges be dismissed as an October surprise; combine that with Cannon dismissing the FL case at the same time and it gives Trump a victory lap which would probably put him over the top.

In short, yet another jam wriggled out of by ol' Donnie.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Also if it were golf blisters you could, you know, put some band-aids on them, but Donnie's ego probably won't allow that because it'll make him look weak so it's open sores o'clock instead.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

selec posted:

“My enemies are in power, this is the worst thing that could’ve happened to them” feels like the most bitter, undrinkable Victory Wine ever, and only makes sense if you see Trump as the disease and not just an ugly symptom and omen of what’s to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEC8URRaZoI&t=87s

1:27 timestamp; considering Homelander's been outright said to be a Trump allegory it's poignant.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Murgos posted:

It’s going to be hilarious if it turns out Wade does have a girlfriend and it ain’t Willis.

Turns out man was triple-timing it for maximum hilarity

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Caros posted:

Famously when I have an affair I make sure that we have two hotel rooms to not sleep together in.

One room for loving one room for sleeping. No one wants the wet spot.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
How long has Habba been practicing for, anyway? I get that she's on a disbarrment any% speedrun but I'm curious if she's on WR pace or not.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

That's another $88-mil the GOP has to pony up!

:homebrew:

Can't waut to see how much it'll be the next time we do this, maybe next year/month.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
FOIA is used for getting your college's football coach fired and nothing else

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

Worse, you must now become a coffee drinker

No, now when they mean tea they mean sweet tea.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

I feel bad for The Bible because that's a pretty hosed up situation.

quote but out of context

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Gyges posted:

You can't just go busting down doors and trashing the place with a search warrant. Dude isn't a powerless poor or something.

Read this but in the !~y0u cAnT' jUsT sH0Ot 4 h0L3 1nt0 Th3 SurFaC3 0f M4r$~! DOOM voice.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Murgos posted:

Remember when Habba filed a motion that the Carroll case should be dismissed because she claimed Lewis Kaplan mentored Roberta Kaplan when at a law firm at the same time 30 years ago?

Well, apparently Habba in her brief cited 'a partner' who recalled that fact and then also the NY Post published an article also citing an 'unnamed partner'.

Well, Roberta thinks that maybe this unnamed partner is a figment of Habba's imagination.
https://www.newsweek.com/alina-habba-used-fake-person-roberta-kaplan-accusations-1865351

I'm guessing Roberta probably talked to the Weiss partners and no one admitted to supplying the information. Which would be REALLY WEIRD for a very senior lawyer who knew his testimony was about to be used in a court proceeding and so was likely to come out.

This could go badly for Habba.

That last sentence could be used to describe just about anything Habba tried in the courtroom tbh.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Scapegoat posted:

It's wild as a layman watching video's of lawyers go over her performance and how utterly terrible it was. I'm sure we've all been in situations at work where we had no clue what we were doing but generally we don't put ourselves in these positions nor have near 8 figures riding on it.

Well it wasn't her money riding on it, since it's not like she was going to get paid either way.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Nervous posted:

2028 electoral process to be replaced with a world martial arts tournament. Losers can be cabinet members. Pray that nobody suggests to use the dragonballs to replace Putin with Frieza.

Do you want the King of Iron Fist Tournament and the Mishima Zaibatsu? Because this is how you get Heihachi and Kazuya killing billions in between throwing each other off cliffs.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
https://twitter.com/semafor/status/1758240283160981949

Seems to contradict the thread's belief that things are going well for Willis.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Since Trump wriggles out of every jam, I'm trying to figure out how he wriggles out of his one. Would winning the Presidency again keep any of these claims from being enacted against him? How much foreign money can be back-channeled to him? A series of Powerball wins? I refuse to believe that good things are possible so someone confirm my belief that this won't matter because nothing matters tia.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Convincing his base doesn’t really matter as they’ll never care, or just straight won’t even believe it happened. He has to convince people outside of his base and they’re not likely to believe anything Trump says if he’s accepting $400 million from the Saudis.

1: Most people outside of the die-hard MAGA base already don't believe anything that Trump says, so why not throw one more log onto the fire?

B: Come November, people are going to be more concerned about putting food on the table, or even being able to have a table inside of their home, or even having a home they can afford, then they're going to care about where Trump got his appeal money from. They're going to be angry at Biden and will hold it against him.

As people have mentioned, by this time next year Trump is either in jail, in the ground, or in the White House, so why not commit every crime possible to ensure that the latter is what occurs? The cornered animal is always the most dangerous.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, there are kind of four options:

1) You give Trump half a billion and he wins the election.
2) You give Trump half a billion and Biden wins the election.
3) You don't give Trump half a billion and he wins the election.
4) You don't give Trump half a billion and Biden wins the election.

Are you actually going to see enough return from (1) that it's going to be a better buy than (3), much less (2) and (4)? Most of the people who would want to give away that much money to see Trump as president are already people he's bizarrely favorable to, anyway.

From the Saudi Arabia side, there's really only two:

1: Give Trump half a billion dollars and he wins the election. Now you have the United States President, the most powerful leader in the free world, firmly in your pocket. As long as you dangle the money carrot in front of him, he'll do or say whatever you want. You're untouchable and all of your rivals in the region are certainly going to take notice. All for the low cost of a half billion dollars from your $600b whitewashing fund; that every country isn't trying this means they are absolute fools.

B: Give Trump half a billion dollars and he loses the election. Does this mean Biden is going to turn around and saction Saudi Arabia, or does it mean an investment didn't pay out and it'll be business as usual? Global business is still going to be lining up to beg for a sip from that $600b spiggot; Saudi Arabia is going to own a NBA team before the end of the decade and potentially a MLB team and when you're willing to spend $Texas+ it means a lot of luxury tax money coming into the league coffers. (NFL would be ideal but the hard salary cap makes that a harder bargain). Add in that private capital is racing to be the ones to own major college football and there's plenty of opportunities to influence the American people and government.

Really, it's a no-brainer from their perspective.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

Comedy scenario: Trump is free to flee but has been forced to sell everything, including his jet, and is too proud to fly commercial

Trump is picked up on a raft headed to Cuba.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

kzin602 posted:

The Secret Service detail is offered to former presidents, Trump can simple waive the protection at any time. He literally has to just say "don't follow me" and they won't. It is not their job to detain or prevent him from doing anything, they are a voluntary security detail.

As the leading candidate for President, at what point would he get the detail regardless?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Scipiotik posted:

This guy wasn't a prosecutor, he was a partner of Wade, and probably sucked rear end as an attorney since he was taking work for like $40 an hour to do boring tasks for the prosecutors office.

He'll probably wind up disbarred after all of this on top of the sexual assaults.

Please let them know that for $40/hr I will do those boring tasks and not commit sexual assaults tia.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Arguing over the best way to beat Trump is like arguing over the best lifeboat on the titanic

Only the rich are going to survive and we're going to drown no matter what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Biden's brains are tapioca. Every day when he wakes up his aides have to show him a fifteen minutes "Previously on" video to remind him of his past life. When he leaves the private residence he gets lost and is wandering around unless his aides place him in a cardboard box painted up like a Amtrak train car and push him into the Oval Office, making choo choo noises the entire time. Hunter calls him for money every hour on the hour and if Biden takes the call before his aides stop him he sends Hunter five bucks because it's fine that Hunter gets an advance on his allowance. If you show him Hawai'i and Alaska on a map he starts screaming because there's no way we have states out there. When Major bites another Secret Service agent Biden gets upset because he knew he raised Beau better than that. One time he fell off a bike.

This is opposed to Trump, who not only has photographic memory and recall but a low-latency telepathy giving him access to everyone else's brainwaves for extra computational processing. Any percieved errors are not just wrong but a long-dormant plan to trick Biden and the entire fake new crooked media, a trap they gleefully fall into time after time.