Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Them say the gently caress word on CBS!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s hard to take any solace in a shift towards putting everything behind a Desantis run

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mdemone posted:

I'll die mad about what they did to Conan.

This remains an extremely hosed up thing to have done to a TV personality and their crew

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is going to culminate in all of us having to look at a grainy photo of Roger Stone, fully nude except for a tophat and steampunk gogles

We’ll all be lucky if none of it is Alex Jones himself

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

That doesn't seem to be what the source is saying at all. Rather, they're saying that the FBI went out of their way to minimize the media profile of the raid, in hopes that it would be more likely to be seen as non-political, but this backfired by making it easier for the GOP to set the narrative.

I don’t believe that for a second. There is absolutely no way the FBI didn’t expect this to receive exactly the response it got. It was a literal historical event involving an inflammatory GOP hero. Any work they did to minimize the media profile would have been to assure themselves they weren’t making a spectacle out of it, not the GOP.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Nah pretty clear Maggie is cashing out.

Most ominous sign against trump, imo

There is no doubt that he has never been more isolated and alone

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

slurm posted:

DOJ won't touch him once he declares an intent to run, right? That's the end of investigations etc.

Yeah they’re definitely not going to touch him negative six years from now

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

The one constant about Republicans and their allies: they don't want to do work. They would rather hand it off to someone else (projection again of course) and then whinge when they don't get the results they imagined

Bad leaders imagine that leadership is a hands-off process where you hire someone to do a thing and report back without any engagement on your part. It's the same for politics as it is in the military, the corporate environment, etc. This is normally something that requires a lot of training to address so I'm not exactly shocked that those in elected positions are prone to taking the laissez-faire approach.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cimber posted:

Its a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

If you do indict a previous president for crimes that turns it into a political weapon that the other party will use, like you said, facts be damned.

They can already do this and will do this regardless of precedent

Surely the Trump presidency must have taught people that decorum rules aren’t real?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Class3KillStorm posted:

It was all for a line of Trump-branded NFTs, and they don't even have the technical wherewithal to actually set up their own blockchain list or whatever to try and fake like there's a premium individuality to these things. So they just call them "digital trading cards," because that sounds like a thing from the 1950s that olds would remember, threw a $100 price point on his lovely photoshop JPEGs and called it a day.

Oh my god

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Social media accounts are generally off limits for clearance investigations so they won't Google you. They focus on interviews with friends, families, coworkers, landlords, etc. to identify any potential inconsistencies or red flags in the data you give them in the SF-86. The other part is a credit check and whatever else they have to do to check on things like gambling debts. If you have anything else of relevance you're supposed to bring it up ahead of time, not let them find out about it later.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Well Secret clearances are fairly routine and not remotely related to how Secret Service personnel are vetted.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Murgos posted:

I’d bet money that those two guys in the middle work for someone’s government.

This is Asia's version of dark tourism

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SamDabbers posted:

Are you assuming it's going to hold together after indictment and trial too? I think we're likely to see more violence, but I'm usually pessimistic and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

You’re going to have to suggest a better cause than “more violence” if you’re going to talk about America collapsing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kith posted:

'it's time to "politically gently caress 'em up"' is a very :eyepop: quote. i wonder how it'll play in court.

I kind of don’t believe he actually said the “politically” part, which may be why it isn’t in quotes in the article

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

celadon posted:

How can you resign if you're not of sound mind? Like if you are senile are you capable of retiring legally? Presumably a Senator in a coma wouldn't be capable of retiring, so whats the degree of incapacitation that can be tolerated while still being able to resign?

She'd be crazy to continue in the senate, but all she has to do is ask to resign. This is something a rational person would do, which would make her qualified and responsible to serve in the senate

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

He’s only going to scold them 20 or 30 more times before he considers starting to lose it!!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nobody as self-interested as these folks would hold out even if Trump did pay them

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I used to work the child support circuit and those guys get thrown in jail all the time for contempt

A woman got 90 days (cut down to one) for laughing during her daughter’s DUI homicide trial.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

He'll surely face consequences this time!

I keep thinking about this: https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/judge-throws-drunk-drivers-mom-in-jail-for-laughing-at-victims-family-in-court/

Yes I know she only served a fraction of that time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oracle posted:

Except the president can’t pardon state crimes. And don’t pardons come with the stigma of basically admitting you did it if you accept?

The stigma is utterly meaningless.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Comstar posted:

Husband of deceased Jan. 6 Darwin Award Winner files wrongful death suit against government

Now, here's why it's all Trump's Legal Troubles:

(quoting from the Fark thread, as I was not aware of the following fact):

Well done Agent Clinton.

Interesting argument that she was ambushed when the footage shows her in a crowd of people literally tearing at a barricade like something out of a zombie movie.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That is technically true for up to 60% of Americans

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gyges posted:

You can't just go busting down doors and trashing the place with a search warrant. Dude isn't a powerless poor or something.

Had me going with the first sentence

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

We have firmly established that the punishment for repeatedly harassing and endangering court staff and court staffs' family members is a minor fine and the judge giving a smirk for the photographer to publish in the news. So yeah, why not?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"C U Next Tuesday" is ancient

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

I feel bad for the sneakerheads, all the ones I've seen since these abominations were revealed haven't even had anything left in them to be mad, they're just all super depressed that the thing they like is being sullied with the existence of such an atrocity

They’re still lining up to buy it though aren’t they

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't think submitting the wrong addresses in court paperwork would result in "gotcha, you didn't notice it so now the incorporation has changed!"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zoux posted:

There is no profession in which it is ethical to be romantically involved with a subordinate, much less hire a romantic partner.

It is absurdly unprofessional and demonstrates unacceptably poor judgment and I'm shocked that anybody tries to argue otherwise, even if it's only about the degree.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Being held in contempt for actively mocking, creating conspiracies around, and encouraging death threats towards court staff doesn’t seem like something that would lead to an overturn on appeal for anyone, much less a “good way” to do that

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

He bragged about having the money before it got cut.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A judge had a defendant’s mother jailed for laughing in court

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/judge-throws-drunk-drivers-mom-in-jail-for-laughing-at-victims-family-in-court/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't think I've ever read someone's experience of jury selection without thinking that our system is populating juries with strange creatures I would never actually consider my peers