Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Bishyaler posted:

People are latching on like THIS will finally be the thing that puts Trump in jail. This is just the second half of the Mueller Report, but its hilarious to watch the gullible get their hopes up.

I mean continuous Benghazi hearings worked out for Republicans so this ain’t the cosmic own you think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Like, guys. I know we want it to matter. But when you spend most of it asking a reporter and cop some boring questions, that's a failure. Nobody will be swayed. Everybody will forget this. This was a colossal failure.

A ton of footage got played, but if your beef is they spent time asking questions, what do you think a hearing is?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What subversive message are they aiming for where she speaks without being able to see Thomas? Is it a message of "I'm not with him, these are my independent views"?

“I ordered a right-wing 80’s political coalition and was shipped an insurrection. Let me speak to your manager.”

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Anyone else think we have absolutely no idea how this will shake out? Indictments are still coming down and how high up the chain gets charged is a decision that gets made at the end.

The only prediction I’ll make is if Trump runs and makes it to the general, this will absolutely hurt him. Enough to lose? Depends on the economy in two years, not tomorrow.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 14, 2022

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Unlike the question of what level of coordination Trump’s campaign and Russia had, and what exact Russian election interference occurred, the basic crime of Jan. 6 was right in the open. That’s a lot easier to present and explain, either on TV or in court.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

negativeneil posted:

I've watched clips. The frankness of the language is very refreshing and I want to hope. But the J6 panel speaking frankly costs them nothing. The DoJ has to actually prosecute this. I don't think they have the stomach for it.

What they care about is getting a conviction. There’s no policy against prosecuting a former president. I don’t know what they’ll conclude at the moment of truth, but they’ll charge him if they think they’ll win.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I hard agree, we've never been in this neck of the dark and scary woods.

We have a pretty good chunk of people that want to see something happen

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1536740254413213697

The scary part is some non-zero proportion of that would go on to say, “Therefore lock up Pelosi/Pence/the county clerk in Detroit/etc.”

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Lol is Dan Scavino tweeting for Guiliani now?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

“I REFUSED ‘all alcohol’ and reluctantly accepted ‘a poo poo ton of alcohol’!”

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

That’s so bonkers it has to be real and from him, right? Between low-key thirstiness for his mom and admitting the crimes.

Edit: haha I only saw the thumbnail but with the Melania part it’s too perfect to be real.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 14, 2022

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

National politics aside, let this be a lesson to all: don't piss off the Georgia GOP.

this could be revenge for the upcoming (hopefully) Herschel Walker debacle more than anything, or decreased turnout during the special election

I don’t think the Fulton county DA is a Republican.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

mdemone posted:

Patience. The rock rolls most slowly in the beginning.

No one knows how this will shake out. There is a human need for certainty but the only thing that’s certain is if we read it all the way to the ending.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 12, 2022

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Handicapping 2024 pretty pointless right now, and not really a Jan 6 topic beyond the fact that the hearings will absolutely hurt Trump if he runs.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Forgive the potentially stupid question, but what is the actual point of the hearings? Who are they talking "to", and what are the potential outcomes? They're getting this stuff "on record" (congressional?), and then if they bring up enough wrong-doing, the Justice Department and/or an Attorney General can pursue charges of some kind?

There's no judge or jury or anything here is there, so what is supposed to happen next?

At the end of the day the point of public hearings are to inform the public and we’ve definitely learned new facts about Trump and associates’ involvement since the hearings began, which in turn shook new witnesses loose. There’s actual documentary/historical value in this exercise.

Congressional Democrats also see a messaging opportunity to hurt Trump. Why wouldn’t they? They saw what nonstop Benghazi hearings did to Clinton, and ultimately, the 2016 election.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Lying about voter fraud will continue as a political sport until it becomes socially stigmatized. Probably the best way to do that isn’t to appeal to higher angels but just call them the babbies they are by way of adopting the Republican’s slogan from 2000: You lost. Get over it.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

XboxPants posted:

I'm not sure why this is related to J6 but it's an interesting topic to me. I guess the general idea is that you can appeal to low-income demos by saying that government can't be trusted. A classic.

The core of Trump’s base isn’t low income though, and I don’t know that things would be that different looking at J6era who at the very least had the resources to take a trip to DC on the whim of their Golden One.

I wouldn’t be surprised if their personal lives are garbage fires aside from income, however.

edit: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Golden_One/Legends

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 17, 2022

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Cimber posted:

Same reason why RBG would not resign at a more politcally opportune time such as 2012, because she (apparently) did not want to politicize the court.e other

Nothing so grandiose, and if she said that it was an obvious fig leaf reason when she just plain didn’t feel like retiring and when you’re an 80 year old with life tenure you get pretty arrogant.

It’s the same as trying to get a set-in-their-ways old person to move to assisted living or give up driving, with disastrously larger stakes.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 20, 2022

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

No one knows because only Trump is getting the benefit of this made-up process.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

V-Men posted:

The way this article is written, it just easily sounds like Trump was making up a non-existent document in the same way that he constantly lies. "Oh yeah, I have a classified document that would undermine what Milley is saying. I could show it to you right now if I wanted to. (but I won't)" Which is pretty Trump.

There probably is a classified document that he was baldly misrepresenting.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The Bible posted:

I hadn't considered that.

Yeah, that's the obvious problem.

So... is there just no hope then? We're just at the mercy of a court in which the justices are at best unqualified and at worst publicly compromised? I know there are processes to remove justices, but that's as likely to happen now as the constitutional amendments being discussed earlier.

The solution is to keep Republicans out of the White House for extended periods probably. Periods of one party dominance have happened before and in the right conditions could happen again. Right now Republicans can’t stop accelerating toward pandering more and more to a shrinking share of extremists and being more efficiently allocated in swing states can only get them so far. 2000 and 2016 were by the skin of their teeth. They can always try to course correct out of a doom spiral but only if the chuds let them, and as of the last midterms they weren’t letting them.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Shocking breaking news that Trump says please

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Caros posted:

I'm really curious on the legality of this. Trump is obviously scum, but if you lose making a claim in civil court and keep making that claim, is there not some angle for defamation?

I'd guess this gets tossed, but I'm just curious on the actual legal arguments behind it.

If Trump wanted to make this work he should have counterclaimed defamation for the first trial. There could be any number of reasons why a verdict comes out how it dies on someone else making an opposed claim so I don’t think he can piggyback on that.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

duodenum posted:

I wonder if it's to avoid producing some discovery material that would jeopardize other Republicans.

Looks like it’s mostly just to cut down on his own legal fees since what he said was obviously and demonstrably false.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Apparently he fell down a flight of stairs at some point like ten years ago and welp

I thought a guy tapped him on the shoulder too hard and that’s what did it.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Murgos posted:

There are literally hundreds of convicted felons who have claimed that Trumps tweets sent them to do violence in a court of law.

Focusing on this line because I think it misunderstands the court system. DOJ has to establish the link in Trump’s case, not in the other bad actors’ cases, in order to possibly get some kind of prior restraint against Trump tweeting. They’d have to make the request (which they haven’t because it’s a hard climb). Courts don’t just say “I know XYZ about the facts of this case from widespread reports or other cases where this particular defendant is not a party.”

And so far they’re not asking for anything other than “Don’t tweet out the sensitive information disclosed to your lawyers” because that’s about as much as they can expect to get ordered here.

Yes Trump will continue to be lovely and at bare minimum post a bunch of poo poo including veiled suggestions with hopes someone will do what he want. This is where the comparison to a mob boss is instructive, because they can’t get mob bosses on everything under the rules the justice system plays by. The key is to get them on enough.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 8, 2023

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I’m talking about the difference between a real physical electoral college and just automatically tabulating the votes as if an EC had met. There would be no differences in any outcomes there other than a small handful of inconsequential faithless electors over the years.

Going straight to a popular vote (which IMO should absolutely be done) is a step further, and I think the risk of that step being taken is why the right doesn’t even want to have a conversation about going from a physical EC to a theoretical one.

All elections would probably need to be federalized to get a national popular vote done. Otherwise sooner or later you’d have a Trump-loving Secretary of State of WV or somewhere saying, “Oh yeah, well I certify 50 million votes for Gryffindor Trump here so Trump wins.” Or if popular vote was defined by interstate agreement rather than an an amendment: “+50 m for Trump here after some late returns so by the rules of the interstate compact all Biden States are now committed to Trump. Owned, libs :smug:

I’m only slightly exaggerating, but the opportunities for continued tampering would run deep without dramatically curtailing the role of state and local governments vulnerable to authoritarian capture.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 23, 2023

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

NYT journalist Shaila Dewan posted:

Trump will use a commercial bondsman, Charles Shaw of Foster Bail Bonds, to post his $200,000 bond, the bondsman confirmed. By paying the bondsman a fee of $20,000, or 10 percent of the bond amount, Trump should be able to expedite his release, Shaw said.

Trump betting on a >10 percent chance of fleeing the country.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 25, 2023

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Most of these sentences are probably more like 2-10 years, depending on when Republicans regain the pardon power.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

As long as someone sues to keep him off the ballot it will be adjudicated by a court. That’s due process. It’s kind of baked in.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Gyges posted:

If Trump doesn't win next year, they're never getting pardoned. Even then it's iffy on Trump actually doing anything for them. However if Donny loses this time, his hold over the party will be gone by 2028. And it's not like he has an actual protege who will continue his legacy. It's just all grifters trying to steal his grift.

Hard disagree, it’s about pandering to the base who absolutely want these guys let off. For both Trump and his imitators.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/07/us/politics/desantis-ramaswamy-proud-boys-pardons.html

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

How'd that work out last time

There's no reason to not take the chance of knocking him out early. The Republicans will dissolve into conspiracy infighting as soon as he's out of the race. Any legal outcome that puts him out of the race is a good outcome.

Yes it would be legally correct to remove him but this whole process has 6-3 “non-justiciable political question” opinion written all over it if a lower court ever removed his name from a swing states ballot.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Fuschia tude posted:

So the lower court ruling stands, Trump is ineligible to ever serve in federal office again? Sounds good to me :hmmyes:

Or, I guess if it's literally ruled nonjusticiable instead of SCOTUS refusing to take up the case, that means every state can determine on its own whether any candidate is disqualified under the 14th amendment and the candidates then have no recourse? Call me naive but somehow I don't think even this SCOTUS is willing to destroy the entire nationwide electoral system, as state by state everyone chooses to block different candidates from their ballots and no one can challenge that in court, just to protect one single president they don't even like.

Sounds naive to me considering they’d be protecting not just Trump but the Republican Party in general.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

It's just amazing how people keep making up new reasons to not fight Trump

I agree it’s worth fighting him on this but am just managing my expectations personally on this.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

for the non-legal folks in the thread, is this a decision that can be immediately appealed, or is it one of those process things that only acts as grounds for appeal later?

An appeal is expected. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/08/us/mark-meadows-georgia-federal-court-denial.html

It’s just a federal district court decision saying “no jurisdiction” and not a federal trial, so it’s appealable right away.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The Islamic Shock posted:

In Trump's mind, right now he is

1. Losing
2. A victim of having to pay money for something trivial
3. Told that he was wrong about something in a way he's not allowed to bullshit out of

There is no high enough. If Trump were somehow forced to give up ALL of his poo poo and had to live off an actual meager fraction of his Presidential pension after taxes he'd still be seeking revenge until the moment he dies.

This is underestimating the Trump greed at play here.

If they start effectively collecting he will start shutting up, by which I mean not specifically saying the same slander but just dancing up to it and then doing a little shrug and saying “I can’t say anything else tho. Rigged witch hunt, amirite?”

If they start effectively collecting damages.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Seems like McAfee did Willis a huge favor by requiring a change she couldn’t make herself without at least implicitly admitting poor judgment.

Prosecutors, man. Qualified ethical immunity. They don't have to be ethical; they only have to be unethical in ways that don't prejudice the defendant.

Only question I have is how much hiring a new lead will delay the prosecution of the case.

Hopefully none at all. Aren’t that position’s underlings doing all the work anyway?

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 15, 2024

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

I dont think he did her any favors.

That stuff was pretty obvious from the testimony tbh. And there was a secret relationship and he is getting paid by Willis’s office. So yeah, him no longer being on the case removes a whole lot of headache that could otherwise continue. Willis no longer has the option to keep digging down.

Basically he didn’t make her look good, nor should he, but what he’s actually ordering probably helps her in the long run.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 15, 2024

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Cimber posted:

Ok, so lets just stop following Georga for the next year, because nothing will be happening with THAT case. Assuming the case doesn't get dismissed later.

Meh. Wouldn’t have gone to trial before November anyway.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Oh huh, yeah

Hmm.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A TAPE OF SHARK WEEK INTO MY VCR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I did the math once and almost all misdemeanor offenses, once I was appointed,the minute someone said "I would like to request a public defender", the county or city had immediately lost money on that ticket, and it just got worse for them from there. They would have been better off just instantly dismissing any misdemeanor case where the defendant bothered to show up and not hiring me to defend them.

But that’s the way it should work a for minor offense? It should not be a revenue-generating event for government. The point at a birds-eye level is to curtail the behavior, and if it cost more to afford due process to the violator before imposing the penalty, so be it. If you’re saying they were running a Ferguson-style ticket mill and failed, I agree with you it’s bad they even tried, but I’m not sure how this aside fits into your larger point about rich litigants specifically.