Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Murgos posted:

I’m sure Trump or his mouth pieces are on Fox announcing how this proves that Biden is involved in a conspiracy against him by hiding the evidence of his innocence and all the voter fraud the Jan 06 unselects found that they are hiding.

Yep, even though Chutkan's response is literally "you already have anything you dunces" they're gonna pretend that there's extra, super secret girlfriend-in-Canada style exonerating documents he's being denied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

skeleton warrior posted:

Didn't Meadows already plea on the same charges at the Federal level? Seems bad for him if his Federal-level confession is just going to be evidence in his state-level trial

It might be part of his bargain in the federal case that anything he says can't be used against him in the state case. Alternatively he read that headline and turned his trousers into a war zone.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

A federal plea deal won't have any impact on the applicability of evidence revealed in it to a state proceeding unless the state also signed on or he signed on to a separate agreement with the state to that effect. A federal prosecutor can't bind a state one like that.

Right if I were to post smarter I probably meant more that for the federal case they could just not ask him any questions about what he did in any specific state, on the understanding he testify as to what Trump did that would incriminate him with respect to Jan 6. In exchange they give him a fine for obstructing an official proceeding or whatever.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

"Ok Mr Johnson. You desperately need a car. I'll let you choose between these two:

This one over here is a 2002 model and rusty as hell, but it runs and will hold you over til you get a better one.

This car over here has no engine, a spring sticking up in the middle of the seat, no safety features of any kind, and exhaust fumes leak into the cabin at all times. Also, it is actively on fire at this very moment."

"Gosh.....tough choice...."

Well who can blame them when choosing between a 2002 rustbucket and a fresh off the assembly line cybertruck?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Cadaver Synod, but all big tough men, tough as you ever saw, coming up to the corpse with tears in their eyes, saying, "Sir,"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Weren't they technically electors, regardless? Just not the electors for the winning candidate and thus not the lawfully nominated electors?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

raminasi posted:

What on earth does Coinbase have to do with any of this?

Coinbase doesn't have any relevance, just the ruling:

Full document: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/22pdf/22-105_5536.pdf

He's arguing that the same halting of proceedings applies here too.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Is there no physical element to a pardon? I thought that while the instigation can begin with a verbal statement it has to be formalised with a letter bearing the presidential seal? Or is it literally magic words?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I figure that if they try it then Obama should just say he already pardoned Hunter Biden in 2016 he just kept it quiet until now and join Trump's suit.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well that's interesting... best we know Trump doesn't use his phone for textual communication. Additionally I'm not sure MacFarlane's gambling metaphor makes much sense, wouldn't you go all in before showing your hand? Or is this the game of poker where you show your cards and then try and bluff? DC Fold 'Em?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I reserve my right to make fun of the bad poker metaphor.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Feel this is bordering on taking "I'm not touching you" to its most absurd conclusion.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Can this man find a single, serious lawyer? https://twitter.com/rdeliason/status/1734933588452270317

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Doesn't it usually boil down to they get behind a hand-picked successor or the civil war over who is the legitimate successor of the movement? While they've abjectly failed, those taking part in the GOP farce of a primary seem like the kind of screwballs who would try and lead the movement anew.

Gaetz, MTG and Kari Lake come to mind as those who might seek to take the crown. Chumps like Stefanik won't have a hope in hell, though.

Duck_King posted:

I've thought about this quite a bit, and I think the one thing that could make his followers pause is to drop decorum and openly ridicule him. Trump is a whiny baby who is easily needled, and I think if a political opponent just started speaking very plainly, saying things like "Can you believe this guy? All he ever does is whine! 'Wah wah, my tacky golf motel is worth less than a car'! Hey, did you store all of those stolen documents in the bathroom because that's where you spend most of your time? Everyone calls him 'Diaper Don', lots of people are saying it! The only reason he wants to be president again is to steal your tax dollars for his golf trips and steal more documents to sell to oil barons."

I recall a goon in C-SPAM saying that the only way to stop his co-worker banging on about how great Trump was every day during the presidency was to bring him up before that worker did and talk about how whatever thing he'd done the day before was "hilarious" and "his most retarded poo poo he's done/said yet" and the co-worker ended up not bringing Trump up anymore for fear his MAGA Jesus would get made fun of.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

haveblue posted:

This is the relevant section:

quote:

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

It lists a number of specific posts, but president isn't one of them. The argument is whether any of the general descriptions of categories covers the president.

Feel that by the same tortured logic they used to make the Second Amendment as powerful as it is they should lock on to my bolded part and ignore "of any state" or else argue that the United States is also a singular state as understood by sovereignty of states on the world stage.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well, it's Trump... he might have done.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

No, it clearly states that the Office of President is the officer, so actually the oval office is disqualified from the ballot and must be ripped from the white house and taken away.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A game following the events of Jan 5-7th as Donald Trump in the style of Disco Elysium would definitely be something with the potential to be very funny.

Dickhead Elysium

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Jared Kushner, maybe? He was already rich prior to marrying Ivanka, but is considerably richer now. I think he's done with politics, though whose decision that is (his, Ivanka's, or both) is up for debate.

To be honest that's more because he's similarly a teflon failure like Trump - look at his tenure of 666 5th Avenue where he just constantly pissed away money until he was bailed out during the Trump administration. And past politics despite him being considered toxic by his former socialites in New York he is solvent thanks to the Saudis. Trump couldn't ruin Kushner because Kushner was already a mini-Trump.

As for Trump's reverse Midas touch I still think back to this video every now and again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpA2jiDTYVY

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Presto posted:

Only after he called Dan Quayle.

It should be noted that he called Quayle asking how he could do the ballot coup and when pre-eminent legal scholar Dan Quayle was unable to give him a pathway, he knew there was nothing to be done.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

I'd recommend reading up on the history of the British House of Lords if you're interested in this topic. As an inherently anti-democratic institution which originally had important political advantages over the House of Commons, it was a powerful gatekeeping force protecting the interests of the elite from the whims of democracy, but there were a number of times where overwhelming public sentiment was able to overcome its gatekeeping role, forcing the House of Lords not only to back down on an issue it felt strongly about but also to willingly surrender some of its own power in the aftermath to placate the angry populace.

A famous instance of this was George V threatening to pack the Lords with reformist Liberals if the Lords did not willingly remove their ability to veto any legislation. Now they can at best delay a bill, up to three sessions of parliament, before the house can choose to overrule. In principle, this has meant that the Lords can't veto legislation from a government that just got elected, but can block an unpopular administration from passing something heinous on the way out.

His father Edward has likewise threatened to do the same when the Lords vetoed the national budget due to its radical welfare policies - it was tradition that the Lords never veto money bills, as it could cause a national crisis (translation: a government shutdown). This was so egregious that Edward said if they voted it down a second time he would pack the chamber, and the Lords relented.

One of those times where our hilarious fake democracy was saved by our monarch taking the side of the elected Commons over the unelected Lords.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Alito and Thomas are in their 70s. It's not going to take 30 years to replace them.

Maybe they should go out on more expenses paid trips and see if rolling a Scalia is just a game of numbers.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

Thirty years is an eternity when it comes to politics

30 years ago the Clintons were campaigning on universal healthcare leading up to the midterms, Muslims were a background culture concern despite the WTC bombing the year prior, and Fox News didn't exist. Wild to think how time flies.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Randalor posted:

"Your honor, listen, it was Christmas break, we were all too busy getting shitfaced on Trump's dime to actually do any work. You can't possibly have expected us to actually work over the holidays, and besides, we all know he's guilty as gently caress anyways! Can't we just let bygones be bygones and let him off with a warning?"

They're literally relitigating the "Jack Smith is the Grinch" filing in retrospect and, you know what, may it pay off as well as it did last time.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nervous posted:

If only we could apply this to Trump as well. We wouldn't want to burden Trump with the expenses incurred while living waiting on the appeals process after all.

I'd be fine with him using the Hotblack Desiato method of avoiding legal responsibility, too.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Demolition Man but he just eats the shells and doesn't wipe.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not that she was likely to survive given everything else but didn't they do basically everything you shouldn't do, causing her to bleed out faster? I've not actually seen the footage but I seem to recall someone commenting that they kept trying to stand her upright rather than lay her still and cover the wound.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Why didn't the medic activate his über? We're never going to capture the control point at this rate!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

It’d be great if anyone could link sources on these claims.

As the original post stated: there are no sources. There is no named witness, just an "unnamed source."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Additionally the lawyer alleging this's biggest scoop was listening to a judge, on court camera, shittalking someone, and reporting on that.

Perry Mason she is not.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Trump Legal Troubles / Video Game Mechanics Oddities Discussion Thread

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tenkaris posted:

Oh yes, absolutely.

what the gently caress does that mean??

David Cameron hosed A Dead Pig

sometimes followed by the initials for In The Mouth.

After the 2015 UK election that he unexpectedly won, one of the super rich financiers who felt he was instrumental to that unexpected win felt snubbed that Cameron didn't give him a position in government or higher peerage, so he had an unauthorised biography of Cameron published that claimed that, in order to be part of a (not so) secret society / elites club, the initiation ritual required him to insert his penis into a decapitated pig's mouth to simulate porcine fellatio.

Is it true? Who can say, but Pigfucker Dave is now an indelible shadow over his legacy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Baka-nin posted:

Its not entirely unsubstantiated the owners of many Trump towers and Trump whatevers are Russian businessmen with close ties to organised crime, the Russian government or both. The book Putin's people has an entirr chapter dedicated to documenting Russian businessmen using Trump akin to how they use Swiss and Austrian private members banks and companies that don't seem to exist or do anything.

Don Jr openly stated most of their assets were tied to Russian benefactors back in 2008 https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-jr-said-money-pouring-in-from-russia-2018-2?r=US&IR=T

Meanwhile members of the Russian mafia were headquartered three floors below Trump's penthouse in Trump Tower a decade ago https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...v-a7642851.html

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

And loving fate tossed him a hack judge who’d already embarrassed herself for him who’s going to run out the clock so that either a. He’s back in office or b. Hes convicted on something else.

It wasn't fate. She was hastily voted through in mid-November as soon as it was clear Trump lost and is the functionally only judge for the district that covers Mar-a-Lago. This is another McConnell machination.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The biggest issue regarding Trump is that our national institutions are so thoroughly rotten that no one has been both willing and able to stop him.

edit: except, bizarrely and briefly, Mike Pence

Well, there was also governors like the ones of AZ and GA who didn't do his dumb coup plot bullshit.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

So is the trial for keeping classified documents essentially on hold? I shouldn't be surprised, but I guess I still held out a little bit of faith in the justice system.

Cannon has done everything judicially permissible to slow walk, delay and outright impede movement on the case. It could be that Smith is trying to grind this to the point of forcing recusal but really I think he's focusing on Jan 6 first.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

That's nice. Are they going to put Trump in jail when he wipes his rear end with the ruling and does whatever the gently caress he wants?

Well it's a civil trial so they could seize his assets I suppose.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

Trials involving classified information have very stringent rules from CIPA to try and balance due process/free sharing of information with keeping national security secrets secret. There are timeline and process requirements and a bunch of explicit hoops to jump through, and Cannon through a combination of bias and inexperience /incompetence with this type of case has accepted practically any motion that is likely to cause a delay.

Oh absolutely, this was going to be slow, but it can be slow despite a judge's best efforts, or it can be slow including a judge's best efforts.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

One would assume that the same jurisdiction that awarded EJC $5mn in September would presumably take into account ongoing behaviour when dealing with this case focusing on the original sin, so to speak.

Obviously individual jurors in said jurisdiction vary but I'm gonna assume you've got to try hard to find an NYCer who actually likes Trump enough to vouch for him in a room full of people who think he sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

if he doesn't annoy the judges too much

I'm gonna have to stop you right their, M. Paineframe.