Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

at least the stenographer gets a break today.

Just for fun I had a google doc open to see if I could type it up verbatim, with punctuation.

I was still opening up solitaire between clauses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Eastman just shouting the quiet part at the top of his lungs ; laws are supposed to harm and limit the Left while being a tool of the Right.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Do we have an actual lawyer in the thread who can say if this meets the criteria for mens rea?

Cause to my dumb rear end layman's ears, this certainly sounds like it's mens rea up to the rafters. I don't know how much better you could show knowing it's a crime and then criming.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Madkal posted:

Please tell me Eastman is no longer allowed to practice law.

Eastman will hopefully not be allowed to go outside after this, let alone be in court.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

What the gently caress is on the wall behind Herschman?

loving JUSTICE bat, weird sconces(???), panda portrait???

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

OPENLY CALLING TRUMP A DANGER TO DEMOCRACY IN A CONGRESSIONAL HEARING

Buried in his Scheherazade sentences, but he said those exact words. Hot drat.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Considering he’s an old school arch-conservative (fucker is Ted Cruz’s mentor for gently caress’s sake) who has been put in a situation where he has to willfully testify against a former Republican president, just anger and distaste is plenty to explain him dragging his feet and not being an engaging speaker.

Also he was speaking in giant rambling embedded clauses. That’s literally the opposite behavior of someone with damage to language or speech centers of the brain. He was boring because he was talking in an overcomplicated way, not cause he can’t talk.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

I am terrified to speak it aloud lest I accidentally make it impossible. But Ginni Thomas saying she WANTS to go before the Committee and "clear up misconceptions" is a thing I desire with burning intensity. She is bug-gently caress insane and I wish to witness her attempt to sound reasonable in her answers to the committees questions.
I figure someone is gonna get ahold of her and talk her out of it, but it would be awesome if she ignored them.

This would be such a gift from the universe I might re-consider my agnosticism.

Has she actually released a statement? Cause yeah, I’d pay good money to see that.

Bet you a dollar she starts screaming and calls someone “dark-sided”.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Motherfucker tried to bribe someone with signed MAGA hats?!?!?!?!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

"Evidence of USB ports" - Rudy, a man who has no idea how technology works.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Papercut posted:

I laughed so hard at that audio clip. Literally demanding election workers' homes be searched for "any signs of USB ports"

Cactrot posted:

Presidential Cybersecurity Expert

Checked for ports. Not USB drives, but USB ports. Like if you flip up their pinkies, little sockets open up where you can charge your phone.

It's really minor in the scheme of the crimes and it's really just him being an old man with a brain made of soup, but he literally asked that we check if election workers are loving cyborgs. He's worried about rigger droids.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Lager posted:

This is true, but also I would add that I have noticed that ~10% of people in any given poll always seem to select the stupidest possible response to any question. Like, without fail, it just seems like 1 in 10 people are just dumb as gently caress. I don't know if there's a name for this phenomenon but it's something I've been noticing for years now.

The name depends on field and the kind of question because of different kinds of research and/or stupid, but yeah. For the lab I used to work at one of the joke names for them was “drunk moron questions” : answers so absolutely stupid that all your other questions get tabulated separately cause you’re either not actually paying attention or you’re just so stupid we don’t want your responses infecting the rest of the data.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The Angry Bum posted:

I’m just skeptical that despite all the evidence and everything laid out before the American people that anything will actually happen to these people because the committee is running against the clock now. They have until November to conclude everything because once mid-terms are over, they get replaced by the ‘Democrat stolen election of 2020’ committee and guaranteed there will be arrests of prominent D party members. Democrats are scared to do anything but Republicans have zero problems bringing out a bunch of liberals in chains to the delight of their base.

I'm not singling you out, but you're a good prompt to remind everyone :

This is a LEGISLATIVE committee. This is not a JUDICIAL committee. Liz Cheney is not going to, and can not, charge anyone from this. The intended purpose of this committee is to provide information to Congress so they can pass legislation to stop another coup, and as part of that they have to investigate how this coup happened. They can't charge anyone ; this has been a major contention and something that the Republicans keep loving up when they respond to subpoenas. They can pass stuff on to the DoJ for prosecution (and have, as we've seen), but the only thing Congress can really charge anyone with is contempt of congress.

It's not a trial! All the stuff you learned about trials doesn't apply, and even if it did a lot of the stuff people know about trials isn't true either.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Lucasar posted:

I'm a Canadian so forgive an ignorant question: if Trump does see criminal consequences for his actions, does anything stop President De Santis from pardoning him immediately?

edit: apart from not being/becoming president, obviously

Presidential pardons only work on federal crimes, not state crimes, and there's the tiniest, most mild amount of wiggle room about how it works in regards to crimes that someone has been impeached for just cause it hasn't come up ever but it's inside-baseball legal specifics.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Hitler went to jail tho?

If we’re doing notes on that, maybe 5 years for high treason was a bit loo light of a sentence and it would’ve been better if he’d served a less paltry amount of what he got, just generally.

If we’re taking suggestions for improvement before round two.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

2 of them. One was filming the proud boys and one was hired by roger stone and was filming the 1/6 organizers in the trump admin

God I hope we have film of the two documentary crews running into each other while covering crimes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Shageletic posted:

That's been the Republican plan since at least the 50s.

Say government can't function > get into control of government > break government > repeat from start

tecnocrat posted:

I saw that scene in Popstar, seems this wouldn't be too far off.

I was thinking more like Man Bites Dog where the serial killer the documentary crew is following gets into a fight with another serial killer with their own documentary crew.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Inner Light posted:

I am expecting this will be a nothing burger just like everything Trump consequence related for the last 7 years, a handful of low level lackey prison time notwithstanding.

I'm worried this might be true, but if they were just trying to get my attention, they certainly have it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Please, please, loving please.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

"On the 6th, we're gonna do uhh a uhh an ime-cray..." *touches nose*
-Rudy Giuliani, January 2nd.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

LET THE ARMED PEOPLE THROUGH SO THEY CAN GO TO THE CAPITOL LATER

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I don't know how this could be more damning except if Trump was actually handing out bats with nails??????????

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Looks like I was right! Nothing 'explosive' today, although the hearing is not over yet, I doubt they are saving the best for last.

Are you watching the hearing?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

William Bear posted:

Is this legally hearsay? I'm not a lawyer, but I thought hearsay would be if this witness were to say she heard another person talk about what Trump said.

Anyway, that magnetometer statement is pretty damning. The only defense I can think of is that Trump could insist he meant "These people wouldn't hurt me, they're my biggest fans!" If he emphasized the "me", as in "hurt me", that seems inescapable.

Edit: Jesus H Christ, he attacked a Secret Service guy?

It's definitely hearsay. That's easy.

The complex part is that there are a poo poo load of exceptions that allow hearsay into testimony. Like, keep in mind, the concept of e-mail is also technically hearsay.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bad car accident sounds like the perfect comparison, actually.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Overt, contemporaneous acknowledgement of responsibility for violence!

"Blood on [the Executive branch's] hands"

!!!!

Edit : "discussing the 'Hang Mike Pence' chants" jesus loving christ.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Is there video of someone saying that Trump tried to choke out his Secret Service driver in a rage because lol when that's proven to have happened and he still doesn't get any consequences.

Yes, we just watched it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

I mean, can someone link it? I wasn't able to watch it in real time, I'm just getting it from this thread.

I'm sure someone will soonish, but it's a live-stream dawg.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Edit : ^^^^Lol well I was trying to be helpful.

Jaxyon posted:

Ah nvm, I didn't realize it JUST happened.

Yeah I have zero doubt that is going to be a widely shared clip

Yeah this is less than an hour old as of me writing this.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

How much longer do we have for this session?

:shrug:

It's been in ~1 hour chunks before, but it's not like they're gonna ring a bell if it goes longer.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

They're done now. But holy poo poo.

Who knows what the gently caress is even gonna be in the concluding remarks at this point.

loving hell.

Edit : Evidence of overtly threatening witnesses. That's what we have.

gently caress!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

mdemone posted:

I'm spent

I'm spending the rest of the day just smoking and staring into space, I guess.

I wish I still drank.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

cochise posted:

I'm still flabbergasted that the orange turd tried to strangle a secret service member in order to take control of the Beast just so he could drive to the Capitol and lead the shitshow. :psyduck:

I know it’s nothing in the whole scheme of things but I keep coming back to the choking. You know motherfucker has the grip strength of an injured fawn, what the hell was step 2 of grabbing his neck?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Archonex the only thing I'd take issue with in your summary is that chuds were making improvised weapons with flagpoles that were there in situ.

Usually what the Proud Boys do is bring clubs/telescopic batons/whatever and attach flags for plausible deniability that they're not just gonna use them to beat the poo poo out of anyone darker than a manila envelope at the first opportunity. I forget what they call them - "party sticks" or something?

You must live in a land of some pale rear end office supplies if you think they’d tolerate up to a manila envelope.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Thank you. That's been bothering the poo poo out of me.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cimber posted:

Yeah yeah, i hosed it up

I wasn't gonna be a dick and correct anyone's spelling, but it was like 2 solid pages of increasingly bizarre semi-phonetic spellings.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/1541910389289635841

ooh boy lets see if their anonymous source comes for testimony under oath (they wont)

An unspecified source who totally knows the guys says nuh unh.

Hard hitting reportage.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

cochise posted:

https://twitter.com/January6thCmte/status/1541868218922541058

I went back and checked the testimony from today after seeing the usual MAGA idiots making big claims about Trump not being able to grab the steering wheel in the Beast. It wasn't the Beast/presidential limo. It was a Secret Service suburban. So that argument is dead.

Am I blind? Cause I still can't see much of anything in this video. If I full-screen it and really squint, I can see what might be a hand kind of flailing around but I might just be imagining things.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Alkydere posted:

The point of the video is that a bunch of people are screaming today's testimony was fake because there's no way Trump could even reach the driver's compartment of the presidential limo, A.K.A. The Beast.

But he's not riding away in The Beast. That's just a Secret Service Suburban which is just...well a suburban (albeit with armored plates/windows)

O okay, word. So literally just that it is a car and it exists.

I'm not a weirdo chud who requires evidence of that so I've been looking for something else to make it worth airing during the hearing.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O hey that was you I saw on twitter the other day.