Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/BrianKempGA/status/1691483026356678660

so yeah i think all public statements officially point towards georgia republicans telling trump to go gently caress himself

I don't normally indulge myself, but I took a peek at the replies and it's so depressing that this many Americans are completely sucked into the cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I know it's a very small sample of Americans, but that's still non zero and it genuinely pains me hearing people talking this stuff in real life. I think it just hits a lot harder for me working in health care seeing people dying and with their last breaths they are still hootin and hollerin for trump. To be filled with so much hate. The families torn apart. It makes me sad.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So if the judge accepts a gag order and he invariably violates the same day, will they be crazy enough to issue contempt of court? An entire judicial system cowed by the dumbest clown that is the perpetual narcissist victim, yet they are too afraid to do anything about it because of the years of evidence that everything he says is liable for incitement at any time.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Presumably the fraud defense in New York is going for the antagonize the court hard enough that slip up and say/do something they can win a mistrial appeal on.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'm willing to bet the small fish are such nobodies they are truly all in on the cult and even when they get thrown in prison they'll keep faith in trump.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

davecrazy posted:

Seems like you would not want to state up front that a lawyer in the room was not your lawyer thus free to testify about what went on on said room.

Ahh you say this, but little do you know that executive privilege superscedes attorney client privilege anyway! In fact anything the president discusses with another person is qualified immunity via executive client privilege.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

OgNar posted:

But most importantly, its not even his wifes account, she says she doesnt have a Twitter.
Dumb Donald.

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1730311674194722985

Looks like he may have gotten his idea from Loomer.
Would be great if her stupidity caused him to get fined.

No ironicat expanding gif big enough considering the whole ginny Thomas... everything

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'm pretty confident being convicted would be more beneficial for him than acquittal, as it would really ratchet up that persecution complex and need to drain the swamp!

I'm personally really excited to see the motion to dismiss on the grounds of ELECTION INTERFERENCE! because it is absolutely going to be a real motion filed in a federal united States of America court on behalf of Donald J Trump.

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 8, 2023

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The inability to do anything about a cult leader that directs his followers implicitly rather than explicitly is why American democracy* is so good, op.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So presidents take the highly publicized oath of office just for fun? Not actually bound to said oath?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Reading the Maine decision and I'm pretty loving surprised he actually had the audacity to file a motion for the (oops not a judge) to recuse themselves for bias. I can only hope they've reached the limit of his ridiculous and dangerous antics, making veiled mob boss threats and constantly discrediting the system of law with accusations of corruption and bias.

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 31, 2023

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Trump will just argue its impossible to prepare a defense of such a monumental constitutional question case and have it done by the general election in November. How it continues from there depends on if he wins or the guy currently doing everything he can to be the most unelectable incumbent in human history wins. Either way, I wouldn't expect any profiles in courage to happen.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The rules lawyering with state/police brutality when it comes to bobbit is ridiculous. It is a right wing/anarchist whataboutism. Someone jumping through a broken door window while you are covering the escape of congressional members who were literally 30 feet down the hall in plain view, after numerous warnings and threats for minutes as they hacked down the door? Yeah you better expect you're getting perforated, no questions asked. You can't violently force your way into a military base and expect the MPs to come out and politely pepper spray you.

There's plenty to discuss regarding to ACAB, but trying to argue this very specific scenario is bad faith and the only acceptable genuine explanation is to say she should not have been shot because the concept of the state and laws should not exist.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
gently caress, BEATIN.

haveblue posted:

The only possible snag there may be that current Twitter management might not want to hand the info over, but defying a subpoena may be a bridge too far even for Musk

Musk directed X, the everything app, to stonewall and obstruct subpoenas regarding trump information and threatened to tell trump about it so he could destroy evidence.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4145619-special-counsel-won-secret-search-warrant-for-trumps-twitter-account/

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Throughout his entire presidency it was extremely obvious when it was him tweeting or someone else. The change in diction and verbiage is jarring. I certainly hope at least one of these prosecutors has the slam dunk evidence because I'm so loving tired of this shithead clown. If they meuller this poo poo again....

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

haveblue posted:

He's already receiving bomb threats, he's probably got a security plan in place

Pretty much. He's given up on, or never seriously intended to, win a favorable verdict. His strategy is to return to the presidency and make it all disappear

This is absolutely the strategy and why his lawyers are 100% focused on pleasing the mob boss and not at all concerned with winning the cases. A motion for double jeopardy because you were impeached by congress? Just need to hang on until after the election (going to be very easy to do this with delay tactics, his entire business empire was built on dragging out court cases for decades) when he declares martian law and God president immunity and it all goes away because who's gonna stop him? So far we've had nothing but countless profiles of no courage in Washington that have allowed this fucker to fester for 8 years.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lmao the morons that took plea deals in georgia already.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Maybe if you all partook in the best CCCC thread on the forum (trimp thread) you'd already have known Melania has hated his guts for years, and the entire presidency was really a master class by the two in managing to pull off the staying together for the publicity as loving president and first Lady. I think the word that best described it was effortless. You hardly even knew Melania existed. Why, there she is right now, looking down at us from that window.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'm more excited about the announcement of appeals considering the whole escrow thing for new york state.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
More and more it looks like the legal argument about fascist American dictators was settled Jan 6 democrats decided the best course of action was to do nothing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't think so no? Lots of things happened, a lot of people got arrested. A lot of processes that had gaps that resulted in the scheme got revised to make it less likely. When Dems had the house they did investigations and made referrals to the DOJ, what are you saying in the context of the Trump legal thread that Dems should have done more that would've been legal for them to do?

For starters, they should not have waited a month to start the impeachment of a president that attempted a self coup, followed up by declining to present any evidence or witnesses during this impeachment because they wanted to go home for their valentine week off.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
They should have arrested all of the congress that were active participants in sedition instead of.... doing nothing.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

selec posted:

I would argue that Trump maybe has a more realistic understanding of what his relationship with the legal system is and in what ways it does and does not apply to him than many of the pundits commenting on the case does. He has a better understanding of class politics than many leftists do. He’s right to feel safe posting that, is what I’m saying, based on his class position and the entire history of his life. In fact, posting that might be an essential, important part of maintaining his class position.

He understands the rich and powerful are above the law in america. Always has.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The hand wringing about appeals is ridiculous, if it is the genuine reason why judges refuse to ever hold him in contempt for the now vast history of threats and intimidation against multiple courts, then the American judicial system is a total loss.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
If the loan fraud case fine every actually goes into effect, it will absolutely positively be slashed to something below $200 million at best.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Main Paineframe posted:

If you do it in the courtroom, yes. If you make vaguely mean tweets on social media, absolutely loving not.

You're allowed to publicly express your personal dislike of a judge, as long as you're not directly disrupting the courtroom by doing so. That's classic First Amendment poo poo. While judges do have the power to limit someone's speech outside the courtroom, their exercises of that power have to be as limited and narrowly-tailored as possible.

Pissing off the judge is, however, pretty much always a bad idea in the long run. Not because it leads to any immediate smackdown, but because as a general rule of thumb, it's generally a good idea to stay in the good graces of the person in charge of deciding how the rules apply to you. While judges are obligated to be fair and neutral regardless of what the defendant may have done to personally annoy them, it's dangerous to risk shifting the needle even the tiniest bit in cases with stakes like these.

To be clear, the reason judges are refusing to hold him in contempt is because people don't get held in contempt for tweets, basically ever. It's got nothing in particular to do with appeals, beyond the fact that it would be an obviously bad call in violation of legal principles and precedent. Contempt is a nuclear option designed to preserve the basic functioning of the courtroom, not a blanket punishment that a judge can throw around at a whim in response to mildly annoying exercises of someone's First Amendment rights outside the courtroom. Even when the person in question is so popular that their negative tweets cause problems for the court!

The judge isn't "court staff" (according to the arcane legal jargon being used in the order, anyway), and neither he nor his family is covered by the order. If the judge ordered his arrest over those tweets about the judge's daughter, his lawyers would appeal on the grounds that the judge's daughter was not covered by the order, and the appeals court would immediately uphold the appeal and overturn the contempt order probably before he ever sees the inside of a prison cell.

Extraordinary circumstances (hundreds of death threats to every single court he goes to) should satisfy any common sense need to restrict his ability to direct his cult somewhat. They aren't just tweets.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I thought we were supposed to be a country of law and order, doesn't seem like law and order when you let a cult leader direct his hordes to attack every court he goes to for all his crimes.

But I guess when the courts are all very unserious about actually doing anything, what can you expect.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
It's just tweets! This other one was totally different there was harassment! I scream as every single court the petulant mob boss goes to gets daily death threats and requires the fbi/us marshals to provide security.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
He just needs to have the 5th circuit claim jurisdiction, like they are doing with every right wing pet project at the moment.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
He also just walked out from fraud case in the middle of closing arguments (?) To make some tweets about the judge's clerk again. I don't remember the exact scenario, but he's definitely a huge liability to his own case whenever he's actually there in court.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
One would think any immunity would be voided by the commission of a crime, especially one that isn't part of your duties. But the mere fact that scotus decided to take up the question is a national shame.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
It clearly isn't a threat to democracy since that's what ~40% of Americans want. I would say that the rule of law has been obliterated by the cowardly executive and judicial branches by using the softest gloves possible to allow trump to run circles around all of these indictments when he should have been immediately locked up for sedition and incitement Jan 6 or their second chance with the classified documents when he is a blatantly obvious national security risk.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
My point was that if the people don't want democracy anymore and vote to eliminate it, that's a democracy success story.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I never do jury duty because my boss just writes signs a boiler plate if it pleases the court, please excuse asproigerosis from jury as it creates an undue burden to the hospital and the critical task of health care for the people of the state thank you. Only time I served on a jury was right after graduation when I was unemployed and the case got thrown out by the judge for lack of evidence. Heroin dealer that would bring kids along, kids took the heat for ownership of the drugs and he'd pay the family thank you money while the kids did the couple years in juvenile then records expunged when they hit 18. Judge was pissed the state brought such a weak case on a well known dealer.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I think it'd be a great idea to keep jury selection going for a couple more weeks if it means he just sits there all day as the judge reads social media posts dunking on him the whole time.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

OgNar posted:

"The bonding company is good for it because I put up the money"

You can trust me, i'm Donald Trump.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1782401277068034151

If you put up the full value in liquid, why are you involving a bond company.

Another loss for the American judicial system to just let this poo poo skate.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The contempt charges are probably the last chance trump could see jail before everything gets wiped away by sovereign immunity/supremacy clause of being president again.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

DTurtle posted:

It's so telling that this isn't bigger news:
Trump promised to scrap climate laws if US oil bosses donated $1bn

This is such an extremely blatant and explicit bribery/corruption/quid pro quo thing, and it isn't top news or anywhere near it, just another small unimportant news report among many others...

It's because democrats and Republicans have been doing it for decades already. They just aren't so incredibly stupid about it. There's no way he can be prosecuted for such an obvious crime where the evidence is right there because it'd spoil the game for the rest of the uniparty.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Didn't citizen's united make campaign contributions limits unconstitutional? All they have to do is make a PAC and they can contribute all they want, anonymously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

davecrazy posted:

So by getting checks sent to him to sign at the White House didn’t the Trump org lackey who testified basically prove what we all ready knew that he was involved with the day to day operations of Trump org WHILE president?

No conflict of interest or enulments clause violations there!

Dems gave up on that boat before he even took office. Not to mention all of the scenarios where he forced government agencies to use his hotels/businesses at marked up rates, etc.