Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Murgos posted:

Team Trump actually thought that if Pence just started tossing ballots that Democrats could probably find enough ways to challenge or delay counts so as to avoid the state delegate roll call and run out the clock leaving no declared president on the 20th. Which means Pelosi becomes president and Trump stops being president.

So, all that together means there was likely something else that was supposed to happen.

If no candidate holds a majority of the electoral vote (say, because a few states' slates of electors are contested and unresolved), then per the 12th Amendment it gets thrown to the House of Representatives to decide.

Not a simple majority, one vote per representative, though. States vote as a bloc, one vote per state delegation. And Republicans control more states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Murgos posted:

Arguably he wasn’t acting as president during that meeting, he wasn’t engaged in presidential duties. He was acting as candidate Trump seeking re-election.

One of the job duties of everyone in elected office is campaigning for reelection. Pretty sure that exact argument has been tried in court against Trump and failed already.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Murgos posted:

I almost wonder if the OLC guy from the last hearing, who backed many of Trumps heinous plays for authority, didn’t turbo gently caress the investigation from the outset with some dubious legal opinion that needed to be overcome first internally because from where I am “we needed all hands on deck to clear the 800 Jan 6 rioters through the system first” seems like a deliberately losing strategy designed to distract while the rats scurry for cover. On the other hand though the electors, Georgia letter and electoral count act conspiracies are just by their nature well documented and less ephemeral.

I'm pretty sure you always charge and prosecute and try the lowest guys first, working your way up the rungs of the ladder, because those guys flipping on their official contacts, and them flipping on their own superiors, and on up the chain is typically the only way you can possibly accumulate enough evidence to charge (let alone convict) the higher-ups.

Jan 6 is just unique in how many thousands of suspects were involved and arrested (plus the absurd depth of documentary evidence of that day and cataloging all their crimes, all of which needs to be collected and sorted through and distributed to all the various cases), orders of magnitude larger than the typical white collar scheme, which makes it that many times slower to process.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Charliegrs posted:

I hope that documentary film becomes Trump's equivalent of Nixon's recorded phone calls during Watergate.

There's three. Three documentary films. Ah ah ah.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Oracle posted:

Republican senators will, to a man, not vote to convict while excoriating him to the sky, just like they did the last time.

Uh, in his first trial, Romney broke ranks and voted to convict; the last time, fully seven R Senators did so. We needed more than double that to actually convict him, but it was not at all "to a man".

Back under W, I didn't know "indict" was spelled like that, and tried to discuss the Fitzpatrick/Libby/Cheney investigation with my parents. My dad was like "no that's what Catholic priests do. It's pronounced 'indict'" :catstare:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hutchinson was in Ornato's office with Engel and heard it 1st-hand from Engel, who was there.

That's still secondhand. Engel and Ornato can testify* themselves what they saw and heard.

* You know, under oath. Anyone can say anything out in public.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Cimber posted:

Slightly off tanget, but the constitution says the president has the power of pardon except in matters of impeachment.

Does that mean that the president can't pardon people who might be called to testify him in impeachment cases? Because thats a pretty big stick he could wield. "Lie to congress and if you get caught I'll just pardon you."

That would be a good idea for a restriction, but legally that doesn't seem likely to prevail in court. The most common reading of the Constitution and the pardon power is that the President can't pardon the subject of an impeachment (to obviate their impeachment trial), but anyone else is fair game.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Bel Shazar posted:

Doesn't that scenario not matter in the midst of RICO? In either case Meadows should be liable for being part of the corrupt organization within which the witness tampering occured.

Nobody involved in any of this is getting charged under RICO

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

-Blackadder- posted:

drat, so this is what flawless perfection looks like.

The problem is then it's associated with a bad novel

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Uglycat posted:

I mean, so far as I know there are two ways to make trum ineligible to hold public office.

The first is for the house to impeach and the senate to convict. That seems unlikely.

The other way is for the justice department to charge him with treason, and for a jury to convict.

This seems much more likely.

The US doesn't charge treason, as a rule. Someone's been indicted for treason literally two dozen times, ever. The Constitution sets the bar for conviction so high it's practically impossible.

He needs to have levied war against the United States, or adhered to its enemies, giving them aid and comfort. Trump did not lead or train or arm the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers; his whole shtick is working through a half dozen intermediaries and speaking in terms of whims and hypotheticals, "wouldn't it be nice if somebody", like a mob boss. And the second half also doesn't apply, because the US hasn't had any foreign power declared as a war "enemy" since WWII. Not to mention that you require the testimony from two eyewitnesses to convict.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

This forecloses basically all of Bannon's paths to claim this wasn't contempt, right?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

cr0y posted:

Forgive my ignorance but does all this evidence then turn into a DOJ investigation if so desired? Is no one concerned that losing the House and Senate in the midterms is going to really gum this up?

Yes they can, and they can send DOJ information that they have not publicly released.

DOJ does not depend on the makeup of Congress, just the White House. The Committee always planned to wrap their work up this year, for obvious reasons.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m gonna make a wild guess that they’re going to be very, very bad.

Also, are the SS not banned from destroying documents/evidence like this? They must be, right? It sounds insane that there wouldn’t be a massive smackdown for doing this.

Pretty sure destruction of requested documents is a civil if not criminal offense no matter who you are. Especially once your OIG requests it. IANAL but looks like at minimum it falls under 18 U.S.C. § 1001 and 36 C.F.R. § 1230.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

The "normal" outcome of these hearings would be impeachment but there's no precedent for impeachment of a non-sitting President,

Sure there is. Trump was impeached before the inauguration, but tried after it; and multiple government officials (judges, IIRC) have been impeached, and convicted, after resigning (in a failed attempt to preempt or moot impeachment proceedings against them).

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean thats what i got.

the next one is tomarrow at prime time correct.

Thursday. And the committee is saying more might be coming after it.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

But this is also a normal secret service operation, moving the VP to a safe location is like their whole point.

The SS having "move the VP to a secure location" as SOP, and the coup relying on this happening in order to delay certification of the results and move onto the next step of the plan, can both be true.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

crime fighting hog posted:

Random question but could congress/senate propose and pass a law that Trump could not run again, or is this up to courts to decide?

As mentioned, only convictions for treason or impeachment can ban someone from running for federal office. But even besides that, the Constitution explicitly bans Congress from passing laws targeting individuals. (And every state constitution does the same.)

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

:toot:

https://twitter.com/johnson_carrie/status/1550553555353878528

Not surprising. And he'll probably appeal, but I'd expect it to go the same way. They don't really have a plausible defense.

How long does that take to go up through multiple levels of appeal?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Automatic Slim posted:

It was DOJ opinion memo written decades ago stating that sitting presidents shouldn’t be criminally charged. There is not statute or rule that says this. He was going by established department precedent. There was also AG Barr running interference of what conclusions got released and when.

Also, his position wasn't some independent counsel office created by law, as we had in the 80s and 90s. That law expired in 1999. It was a special counsel, explicitly created by and run under the auspices and authority of the DOJ, reporting directly to and overseen directly by the AG. As such, it had to operate under the rules and regulations of the DOJ.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Xiahou Dun posted:

Why the gently caress would the DoD be involved.

I assume he meant DoJ.

Uglycat posted:

So ianal... Mueller report was /not/ a vindication, and dod could decide to file charges based on Mueller's work (without triggering any double indemnity stuff), yeah?

Would the dod people piecing together the case - have access to the full, unredacted Mueller research? Just the parallel reconstruction - or would they have the og classified intel?

Double jeopardy doesn't apply because he was never in first jeopardy; he was never tried for it. Statutes of limitations might apply, though. He also could still be impeached over it, theoretically, since that never happened back in 2019.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Tayter Swift posted:

How many damned times have we seen rulings ordering Trump's taxes to be turned over to some party or another.

Yes, he's lost every case about it. Last February SCOTUS refused to hear his appeal, and Mazars turned over the previous decade's worth of his taxes to the Manhattan DA. But those were subject to grand jury rules preventing their release. House Ways and Means could do more.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Trump hands someone a notarized pardon signed by him during his presidency tenure and they stick it in a safe deposit box until it is needed like a get out of jail free card.

That is not how it works.

cr0y posted:

How in the hell does that work?

It doesn't.

The only way a pardon can be used as a get out of jail free card in a criminal trial is you present it as evidence why your case should be dismissed. The court then determines that it was an actually valid issued pardon, as opposed to some poo poo Trump scrawled on a cocktail napkin last week.

There is an actual process to issuing a pardon. Trump skipped some of the preliminary investigative steps presidents had traditionally carried out, determining someone was who they said they were, and they actually deserved a pardon, and it wouldn't be a political liability, and so on; he didn't care about any of that. But an important step is still the actual promulgation, publicly announcing the pardon.

If the court checks with the National Archives and they have no evidence any such pardon exists, then it doesn't. There is not a court in this country, even Trump appointees, that would accept that a supposed Trump pardon really was issued 20+ months ago purely on his say-so, without any actual records proving its provenance.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

Thing that gets me about FBI raid is that these people defending Trump still don't the first single idea what was confiscated or what it involved. Nobody does. But, of course, Trump is automatically an innocent victim.

No, the Trump family has confirmed it was about, and that they took boxes of, documents Trump took with him from the White House.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-says-fbi-agents-raided-his-florida-home-2022-08-08/

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

VitalSigns posted:

Would an argument that classification doesn't apply to the president, because he's the authority that determines what is and isn't classified in the first place, succeed?

He took the documents while he was president.

Did he? Are we sure he didn't just leave on Jan 20 taking a ton of documents with him to Mar-a-Lago?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Uglycat posted:

Don't senators have 'one weird trick' where they can read it into the record and lose an election 5 years later?

Mike Gravel won his reelection 3 years later :colbert:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Quorum posted:

Oh my god the Archives literally knew Trump was holding back because they numbered the boxes sequentially and some of them were missing :froggonk:

Funny, that's verbatim one of the ways Andrew Torrez speculated NARA could have known certain boxes were missing from the set they collected this January on the Opening Arguments episode released today.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there really anything to suggest he was trying to sell this stuff? I wouldn't be surprised at all, of course, but seems most likely that he just took it all home because he's an idiot and thought he could just keep government documents.

Why is he being investigated for Espionage Act crimes, then, rather than mere Records Act mishandling of classified information?

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah I don't get why the press doesn't just say "lie". Is it a liability thing?

They say it's accuracy; to accurately say "they're lying" requires knowing what another person knows, or has convinced themselves they believe.

But over the last few years I've seen more and more outlets and reporters just outright state Trump is lying, especially about the 2020 election results.

Fuschia tude fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 13, 2022

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mdemone posted:

Talk about the right guy at the wrong loving time

What's his schedule looking like in two years or so?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Uglycat posted:

Did we already know there's a Jan 6 grand jury? I feel like that's new

Uh, there's been Jan 6 grand juries from the very beginning. People have been getting arrested and criminally charged for January 6, 2021 since January 6, 2021.

We don't know how many GJs there are now convened to investigate J6, or how long this particular one has been active. We knew they were subpoenaing Trump's legal counsel more than two weeks ago, and they were subpoenaing organizers of the J6 rallies two months ago, and they launched this pivot from purely footsoldiers and brawlers/property damagers to actual fundraisers and organizers of the events nearly five months ago.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mdemone posted:

This is one reason I am convinced that the various states and federal agencies are at least broadly coordinating the roll-out of info. I know that's not what the DOJ typically does (or should do), but then again this is not a typical case.

For example, I don't believe either NY or GA will indict him before the DOJ does. And I believe that once the DOJ does, the other entities will follow quickly along.

I'm sure any one indicting will trigger an avalanche of others, but I don't know that they're all waiting for the DOJ specifically to act first.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

cr0y posted:

I've been on these forums for nearly 20 years and I still don't know what this emoji means.

Hmm, yes.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Deteriorata posted:

Classification is irrelevant to the Espionage Act anyway. It doesn't matter if he declassified them.

It's irrelevant to all three of the crimes listed in the search warrant. None of them require the materials in question to be classified.

Murgos posted:

Why is it ‘okay’ for Trump to be careless with documents like that just because maybe it’s not classified anymore? A technicality that gets the classification level removed doesn’t change the harm caused

this is a complete red herring

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

NYT is reporting the feds recovered more than 300 classified documents from Mar-A-Lago so far this year. The first set from January included over 150 classified, TS/SCI, and SAP documents, including material from the FBI, NSA, and CIA.
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1561871242164068353

And the federal Grand Jury investigating Trump and J6 just issued another subpoena to NARA for more records from that time. The previous subpoena only covered documents they'd already turned over to the House committee.
https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1561860320804478976

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I cannot imagine any series of events where is tried, convicted, and sentenced, and then where Biden does not pardon him.

He well might no longer be president by then. But not even Biden (or GOP presidents) can pardon state crimes. New York is unclear now, but the criminal investigation in Georgia is still moving forward and subpoenaing more co-conspirators.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Ynglaur posted:

I wish we could force Fox to rename their channel. They're not a news channel. They're a channel full of talking heads who argue via assertion. There's no actual reporting, no analysis, no thinking. It's just buzzword-laden anger and people saying what they want to be true.

We need more companies like Dominion to start suing the poo poo out of Fox and Murdoch's private little empire for the lies that platform continues to push. The First Amendment does not guarantee lack of any consequences for anything said.

Fox would have no problem arguing in court that they're a journalistic outfit like any other. Not when basically every newspaper has, and has always had, an "Opinion" or "Editorials" section.

Fox runs straightforward reporting on the news during the day, marquee name talking head opinion shows at night. It's the same basic format as CNN and MSNBC, even if their opining is more often based in fact than FNN.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I like how it's more than 50% redacted. Wasn't that why the government didn't want to release it in the first place, because the redactions would be absurd?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

There's no actual indication that this is due to Trump.

You mean besides the article two posts up detailing how the US wanted the materials back from Trump because they put spies at risk?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Angry_Ed posted:

Stuff like item 6 here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AmoneyResists/status/1560301535266996224

Is why I'm 100% certain that foreign agents got access to classified/top secret info via Mar-a-Lago. Either from the documents Trump stole or just Trump being a braggart trying to impress people

And how many foreign agents have been official members of, or even entered without a membership to, Mar-A-Lago?

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1153778486760398848
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1171861594130866176

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Fart Amplifier posted:

This is a myth and makes no sense. Many innocent people accept pardons.

Fart Amplifier posted:

The dicta in that case is not precedent and does not change the fact that innocent people accept pardons without admitting guilt.

Not to mention the hundreds of posthumous pardons. Corpses can't "legally admit" poo poo.

It's completely incoherent gibberish that people have latched onto because the internet loves playing a game of telephone about legal minutiae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Blind Duke posted:

I get the feeling that the Hunters Laptop story was flimsier than propagandists wanted, but some influential weirdo was interested in it and wants it forced out there. Some kinda Rudy figure getting personally involved so they can crow about it personally. They worked on this, so clearly it must be the most important thing no matter how irrelevant it is. Other propagandists just have to try and jazz it up the best they can.

That literally was Rudy.