Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Eimi posted:

Wow they cut Annette and Felix too? I thought that was one of the like more popular ships for non lords. Like I'd at least admit that Hubert/Bernadetta is a bit of a niche ship, but it still stings they cut it.

I actually checked out AO3 (granted, it's a niche subset of the western FE fandom and a M/M leaning, but it's still a way to check out popular leanings) and indeed, Annette/Felix is his most popular het pairing and a top 10 pairing overall.

That said the most popular ship on there for Byleth after the lords is Seteth so I have to put their judgment into question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Is the questionable part that they list Dimitri and Claude above Seteth?

...yeah, in retrospect I worded that terribly, my bad. I meant more like extremely weird, given the fandom and how shipping usually works, Seteth being so high for fanfic shipping wasn't what I expected.

Granted, outside of Catherine, Shamir and maybe Manuela he's the least questionable pairing for Byleth.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh right, forgot Catherine is way into Rhea and also a psycho. Hanneman feels way too old to pair him with anyone but Manuela. Except Lysithea platonically since their ending has Lysithea be free of her crests and live a long life while also being a kickass researcher.

mastajake posted:

They should have let the fByleth be a homewrecker with Alois.

E. Yeah, Shamir is a great pairing, but only works for male.

I miss the days where MByleth's gay options were dating a widowed man/NTR, loving Annette's dad and Linhardt. IS truly robbed us of something beautiful with those bait endings.

Zore posted:

But for real the worst romantic one is Byleth/Rhea and it isn't a contest considering their whole uh everything.

Byleth/Sothis is also incredibly weird and probably should not exist. Especially since Sothis spends most of the game dead again and she looks like she's 10 even as a weird disembodied spirit in Byleth's head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIfQRGWTSQE

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Sydin posted:

Byleth is not capable of engaging any of their students romantically during White Clouds when a student/teacher power dynamic is in play. A supports and proposals only come after it's been 5+ years since Byleth was teaching them and I believe every character who can be romanced is of age by that time. :shrug:

If anything the power dynamic between Edelgard and Byleth is firmly in the former having all the power, since Edelgard is emperor and Byleth on CF is just a mute weirdo who's firmly alienated every other faction and wouldn't really have anywhere to turn but the Empire even if they wanted to leave.

I've seen some people consider that since Byleth still was part of their development when younger and the characters still hold you onto a pedestal (and call you Professor) that still gives vibes of grooming, specially people who work in teaching fields.

Which is dumb since that would require Byleth to have a personality and more emotions than a rock, but honestly? Find Byleth/student ships unconfortable is a perfectly valid opinion to have as long as you're not harassing others about it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Also the Ashen Wolves, as much as they call themselves the fourth house, are composed of an expelled student (Yuri), a graduate (Balthus) and 2 girls who never enrolled (Constance and Hapi), and the house is a house in name only, so storywise they aren't Byleth's students.

..though now I realize, gameplay-wise, you are teaching every character you have (even professors like Manuela), so they're all your students, even post-timeskip since you still teach them. Therefore no character you can teach is unproblematic since they're all teacher-student romances.

And as we said the other options, Rhea (your grandma-mother-daughter) and Sothis (looks 10 and is also you) are not valid.

Ergo, the only valid S-Rank in the game is Alois since you marry a random villager who was never your student, is probably your age and is not related to you. QED.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Deltasquid posted:

Oh I mean like, a random merc who got chosen/rescued by Arval after the first mission in the prologue. A “it could have been anybody” kind of deal, not a “I was literally crafted by the Gods to become their vessel” kind of deal

The thing is, the intro flashback has a character who looks not only like transformed Shez but Shez as well, and they have mysterious origins with only a mother known. And Shez knows dark magic.

Either Shez is Agarthan/an experiment or, unlikely, Arval has a type :v:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Also Fire Emblem stories have always involved medieval-fantasy politics. The closest we've had to a non-special protagonist was Kris in New Mystery and stilk stole a lot of the spotlight.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Not sure if I missed it on Azure Gleam, but on Crimson Blaze the NPC that mentions Abyss days their inhabitants are fighting for Garech Mach but it might be worth recruiting them, so the Ashen Wolves probably enemy bosses you can recruit after beating them (main quest or side mission, no idea of that)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Who would the Golden Deer be for in that comparison?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Augus posted:

I think even more important than buying levels is making sure to upgrade the might on your weapons. You could be 10+ levels below an enemy but if your weapon is upgraded you'll still be able to do decent damage to them.
Related to that, make a beeline for the blacksmith upgrade that increases the amount of might that upgrading adds to weapons. It's especially good because it automatically applies the boost to any pre-upgraded weapons that drop afterwards.

Sadly it does not apply to previously forged weapons and the game will try you to reset them, be careful.

Also I feel like the game wants you to choose a specific squad, because if you funnel all your money on levelling you won't have enough for tactics (which are insanely good boosts), repairing (which gives you already forged weapons and monsters give them by wazoo) and maybe facilities? (which are the biggest priority over everything).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

McTimmy posted:

Facilities don't cost any cash, just the materials. I think, anyway.

They cost some cash. Though it's like 1000 for second column upgrades which is soare change, but you can't upgrade if you waste everything on forge gacha and skipping grinding :v:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Zore posted:

I mean you have infinite money. Just replay a sidequest battle for like 10k in under 3 minutes.

I'd really like to know where is that magic sidequest, when most give me 2000-3000 if I bother to S-rank them, the only outliers being the non-repeatable extra quests which give 8000.

Unless the answer is "get on with the game", since I'm in chapter 6 still.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

RoyalScion posted:

The key to doing the enemy deaths one I've found is to always be killing the officers yourself (ideally with WPG); for whatever reason in this game it feels like you get a lot less KO score from computer-controlled units killing officers compared to the first game, so you really need to do them by yourself in some maps. Otherwise the game actually won't spawn you enough mooks to kill within the time limit.

Ultimately with stats they aren't that important and it's all about skills, pretty much like the original FEW, with some exceptions like Luna and etc. from the original game which rewarded high luck etc.

Wait, killing officers gives a KO score increase?? And here I was intentionally letting some live for more enemies to spawn.

I guess then the optimal way is to send controllable units to those areas but NOT have them attack so you can switch and kill the officer yourself?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm actually liking Mage after playing it for a bit, good AOE and elemental variety.

Priest and Cavalier on the other hand... (I really can't get the hang of breaking weakpoints as Cavalier).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I saw a video on the demo and yeah, some characters have inmunity even on Classic mode. You can tell the difference if they are either on their knees (survive cause plot) or lying on the ground (dead).

Also, can 100% confirm killing officers yourself gives you way, way more KOs than letting the AI do it: by directing the AI next to the enemies, manually changing and killing each of them I can get the KO cound on side-quests by minute 1-2. So yeah, don't rely on the AI to kill enemies until you reach the KO number for the S-Rank.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Tae posted:

How does recruitment work, can you only do it with certain characters controlled? I recruited Hapi while playing as edelguard, but killed Constance while using Petra and had the strategies to recruit both.

You have to activate the strategy before the battle and, most importantly, not kill the unit before you can activate it with the pop-up that appears. Otherwise you finish the "kill X" mission and the game won't recognize the strategy.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, you need to balance giving out orders for time and switching characters for KOs, because I did the forst GW paralogue and ended up running out of time for S-rank due to delaying the main mission too much. Also probably should farm a bit to forge my equipment for more damage there.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Blaziken386 posted:

also goddamn the smithing stone economy is stingy. ive got 100k gold in my pocket but because i can't just buy smithing stones, I don't get to upgrade any of my good weapons

You could buy weapons at the armorer and trade them for stones at the depot? Unless the armorer also has a limited stock and I never realized.

Also I wish I had 100k, I still want to level some characters, get forges and batallions but I'm constantly running out of money. Although I feel bad doing forges when the next facility forge update will make me erase them, but I'm not sire how long it takes to get the final ones.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, I'm kinda stumped on how to S Rank on GW the Balthus and the Gonerils parallgue. It feels like even when manually killing every commander I can't reach the KO count, but if I stay too long killing mobs I run out of time since the timer is only 10 min for 1800 KOs.

I guess it makes sense since the reward is a Rank A Battalion but I'd like to know if there is a better tactict that's not "come back when you kill commanders in 4 attacks".

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Claude does more dubious scheming in a single 3 Hopes chapter than during the entirety of 3 houses.

Also managed to S-Rank the paralogue on the third try. Turns out the trick was to use more AOE :v: and also be faster to rack up the kills, I was real close to 10 min when I killed the boss with 1800 KOs.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Sydin posted:

Get a bow knight. Ashe of all people has become the most indispensable member of the Blue Lions for me because he is a one man wrecking ball who can hit every single target within 100ft him in 360 degrees.

I barely unlocked Advanced Classes, but sure, let's use a Bow Knight.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Just finished GW Chapter 8. 100% did a better job with making Claude sketchier given that he turned the "democracy" into a kingdom, which is turning on all alarms on my head.

Sadly it turns out I have 2 locked supports after that, so I gotta go back and grind them. I guess I can farm more money and try to S Rank Ch. 8 for the Axe while I'm at it.

One question, what is the easiest way to farm old facility maps? And if the answer is "buy at supply", what's the easiest way to farm smithing stones circa Ch. 8?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cool, cool to know. I just wanted to upgrade some of tye cost-reductions I was missing on facilities but I guess I'll just advance.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Is there ever a source of renewable seals to buy/farm? Cause I'm starting to need more Advanced as I master those classes. And also when do you usually unlock Master, cause after Ch. 8 the game told me Shez/Claude's unique classes were unlocked but I still can't unlock Master in general lol

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ainsley McTree posted:

Master seals unlocked for me as soon as I hit part two, so you're close (the item shop just started selling them automatically, i didn't even have to upgrade it; although it only had 2 in stock, so you won't be swimming in them). You still need to upgrade the training instructor to be able to unlock master classes, but I think I got the mats for that on my very first side mission of part two, so it shouldn't take too long.

Wow, that's... pretty quick, given that you unlock Advanced Seals on Ch. 7 and Ch. 8 is a single map with no sidequests. Guess you'd want players to be able to start enjoyinh A rank weapons and the final movesets early on but trickle them down, I guess.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Huh, Gatekeeper can be taken to expeditions. Which means he's a natural recruit instead of being like Rhea and all the other post-game characters

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh gently caress, Holst and Claude's C support locks in Ch.8, not Ch. 9. Which means I have to redo a lot whole more, including Shamir's paralogue, to keep advancing it.

Why did they add this poo poo, like Lorenz and Marianne also has a timelock but it has 0 plot relevance.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Flytrap posted:

after having spent time with jeralt i have decided that i am okay forgiving the ashen demon because i shall get my revenge by loving their dad

Too bad Three Hopes is romance free, otherwise Shez would have become Hilda's newest sibling for me.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Eimi posted:

I would pay good money for a romance dlc. It suuuuuuuuucks not having it.

Honestly I don't mind the lack of romance. What I mind is the more attractive to me designs and characters in terms of pairing my self insert with. Granted as a gay guy who doesn't like overly pretty boys I'm either screwed or forced to play female.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Sudden Javelin posted:

just imagine any character kissing any other character in your mind, why do you need Nintendo to spell it out

thinking about solon kissing cyril as we speak

That doesn't give the same satisfaction as the devs showing that yes, your opinion is the right one.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

DC Murderverse posted:

Have you seen Yuri and Sylvain’s support yet? You might want to seek that one out for… reasons

Currently on GW so no, haven't seen it yet.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Kanos posted:

The shadow dash is incredibly, incredibly good but it's not on par with the SSS tier stuff like Lorenz. "Extremely good mobility to continue combos" is a useful tool but it doesn't stack up to "brainlessly invincible".

Doesn't it also give a chance to instakill mobs? I find that + the mobility vital for S ranking from what I've played. On harder stages I'd guess not dying is probably more important though.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

"gently caress pretty boys."

-Yoko Taro

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Smh at people giving whistles for gameplay rather than for love since they're the closest thing the game has to it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Kanos posted:

Holst and Lorenz are two of my favorite characters in the entire game, so I'm not seeing a downside.

Oh yeah, as a Holst fan 0 objections to people picking for love that also happen to be OP. Best of both worlds!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I've only seen them interact on chapter 3 of SB but yes, their relationship is definitively more... acerbic/antagonistoc than their sons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Eimi posted:

I mean there's some JP dialogue for Shamir that hints that Fodlan doesn't have gay marriage while Dagda does, but it's not super emphasized, especially in the NA dub. Hard to say what the intent was.

The JP dialog is more like that gay marriage is more common/normal/usual in Dagda than Fodlan. I mean, there are no examples, but given all the gayness in the games I thunk the Crests are to blame.