Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Not much actually a lot, what's the holodomor with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Nanomashoes posted:

uh, didn't 12 million people die in the holocaust?

I think 6 million is the number for Jews. Wiki is giving me a further 11 million killed for the broadest definition.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Nix Panicus posted:

Most of the victims of the Holocaust were Soviet citizens, which is an inconvenient fact the west would rather nobody draw attention to. Remember, nobody should ever feel sympathy for the Red Menace. The Holocaust was about the Jews, maybe LGBT, autism, and the disabled if you want to be super progressive about it, but absolutely nobody else.

(Ask eastern europe what their stance on the Roma is)

Eastern?

30.5 Days posted:

There are a bunch of people who define "the Holocaust" as the murder of 6 million Jews rather than the general mass murder of 11 million people. Those people are dumb and/or Zionists.

6 + 11

Anyway, I think we're very lucky that Putin isn't as thicc as Stalin so we are much less likely to see a holodomor 2. Plus I think the big spoon has been lost to the mists of time.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Plus the death toll is 6 million +1 (10 million according to that one bullshit "remembrance" plaque in Ukraine blaming "Jew Commisars" but not translating that bit into English haha)

Just fyi if you don't know the holocaust was about 11 million. Now some people might think it's not a competition, but those people are wrong.

Weka
May 5, 2019

You people need to do better. Even genocide deniers like Applebaum and Stalin would say that the holodomer happened. Not only did the holodomer happen, but it was a genocide and it was bad.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

I read a really interesting book about the Germans that posits that there was not one “colonialism” but three colonialisms across the three given examples so that when famine struck in different parts of the German Empire they could respond any which way.

The Devil’s Handwriting: Precoloniality and the German Colonial State in Qingdao, Samoa, and Southwest Africa

Germany’s overseas colonial empire was relatively short lived, lasting from 1884 to 1918. During this period, dramatically different policies were enacted in the colonies: in Southwest Africa, German troops carried out a brutal slaughter of the Herero people; in Samoa, authorities pursued a paternalistic defense of native culture; in Qingdao, China, policy veered between harsh racism and cultural exchange.
Why did the same colonizing power act in such differing ways? In The Devil’s Handwriting, George Steinmetz tackles this question through a brilliant cross-cultural analysis of German colonialism, leading to a new conceptualization of the colonial state and postcolonial theory. Steinmetz uncovers the roots of colonial behavior in precolonial European ethnographies, where the Hereros were portrayed as cruel and inhuman, the Samoans were idealized as “noble savages,” and depictions of Chinese culture were mixed. The effects of status competition among colonial officials, colonizers’ identification with their subjects, and the different strategies of cooperation and resistance offered by the colonized are also scrutinized in this deeply nuanced and ambitious comparative history.

I read a wikipedia page or two on the Herero a while back and it was claimed they were engaged in what could be considered a genocide of their own against Khoisan peoples. Does the book cover these claims?
Obligatory, this would not excuse the genocide against them.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

I love spicy meatball threads, it makes me so merry it makes my belly jiggle like jelly

Please keep your anti Italian discrimination to yourself, which if you think about it is kind of a second holodomor, in that it is also Stalin's fault for forcing the west to set up gladio which in turn helped cement organized crime in positions of power which is the root cause of a lot of this anti Italian sentiment.

Weka
May 5, 2019

some plague rats posted:

That's good. The thread consensus, that the holodomor happened, is inviolable and backed by both the admins and the UN

I think I read it in the bible.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Idk why you want to bring Hitler up, the holodomor would have happened without him and probably he even slowed it down by making the Soviets invest more in tanks and less in big spoons.

Weka
May 5, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

If the rendition of aid to famine-afflicted areas disproves the Holodomor as an intentional genocide, then COVID policy conversely proves that it is one

I don't think giving aids to Ukrainians exculpates Stalin (the Georgian Hitler).

Weka
May 5, 2019

Wow now Goldberg is claiming NOT to be Jewish?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Luciuk is right. Probably the second worst genocide after the holodomor was the genocide of Russians by the Nazis.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Futanari Damacy posted:

I know it's an unpopular sentiment among the Ukrainian army and their supporters, but I don't care who knows it: I, personally, think Hitler is bad. Just one opinion, though.

Because of his failure to prevent the Holodomor by invading the USSR earlier, and for his alliance with Stalin?

Weka
May 5, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

still laughing at this one

Does anyone know what the original EasilyConfused post was?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Futanari Damacy posted:

If anyone makes a time machine you can only use it to stop the holodomor to ensure no ukrainian dies ever

Done.

Weka
May 5, 2019

redneck nazgul posted:

fixed since stalin ate it

You can't have your grain and eat it too.

Grimnarsson posted:

It is confusing sometimes in that is the Holodomor the specifically Ukrainian portion of the Soviet Union wide famine in 1931-33 or does it refer to the whole famine? Often it seems that the way the term is used it refers to the famine in Ukraine in such a way that there wasn't a famine elsewhere in the USSR while also counting the deaths from all across the USSR as having been Ukrainians in Ukraine. I have no problem with Ukrainians commemorating the famine as it affected them but an international recognition should include all the victims.

The answer is that the holodomor was a man made famine specifically targeted at the Ukrainian ethnicity. Not only did it not affect other regions of the USSR but other ethnic groups within Ukraine were largely unaffected, especially the Jews, who were a bunch of money grubbing bolsheviks who probably stole all the grain to sell it.

Weka
May 5, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

pre:
https://twitter.com/communistsusa/status/1610008685031428097
EDIT: the post they're replying to is a little NWS/NMS, so I'm removing the direct embed

Wrong thread, take this evidence based bullshit to one of the tankie threads, this thread is a vibes only zone.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Putin is a Georgian, just like Stalin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vera_Putina

Weka
May 5, 2019

Putin might be doing the holodomor 2 against Ukrainian gamers by denying them electricity but that doesn't mean he would have his own mother killed.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I am the great grandson of a survivor of France's nationalization language policies,.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

You’re supposes to imply, but never say, the Jews did it.

The bad, bolshevik ones, not the good, zionist, ones in little Ukraine.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

ooh that led me to a nice quote by one Thomas Mann: "To place Russian communism on the same moral level with Nazi fascism, because both are totalitarian, is, at best, superficial, in the worse case it is fascism. He who insists on this equality may be a democrat; in truth and in his heart, he is already a fascist, and will surely fight fascism with insincerity and appearance, but with complete hatred only communism."

I agree with Mann that Russia is worse.

Weka
May 5, 2019

a strange fowl posted:

oh forget it, you people make me sick

Forget what? This is your first post in this thread. If you mean the holodomor, then no, because every day is holodomor remembrance day.

Weka
May 5, 2019

My grandfather was also a holocaust survivor. Those guard towers are not as tall as they look.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I thought Polish Operation was a board game like Operation except instead of tweezers it shipped with a spoon.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Surprising how long it took for people to recognize the holodomor.

They knew about it, they just thought it was good.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Xaris posted:

Wow! Why are so many people psycho about hearing about the holodomor definitely happening??? are they gluten intolerant

Juden intolerant as often as not.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Terminal autist posted:

Is kulak a slur? I swear someone said that earlier

It is, but it's a good one.

Frosted Flake posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for good books by Tim Snyder, Anne Applebaum or anyone else on the payroll of Baltic states or Polish nobles so I can really dig deep and learn more about the holodomor? TiA.

Do NOT read the works of Anne Applebaum who denies the holodomor was a genocide! She has been corrupted by the Poles and their hatred for patriotic Ukrainian heroes.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Futanari Damacy posted:

Three quarters of the loving world.

Jesus Christ.

Really goes to show who the real racists are.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

so how do you say this fuckin word anyway? halo-dome-er? HO-LO-DO-MO-ERR?

hey newsflash eurasia: there's vowels other than O!

Ukraine is in regular Europe now thank you, not dirty Eurasia.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Anything that looks like that is a tank I don't care if some nerd tells me it's an AFV or some crap. Next you will be saying Stalin didn't try and kill any Ukrainians so it's not genocide, and that's dumb crap for people who need to go outside more.

Weka
May 5, 2019

HashtagGirlboss posted:

3. German atrocities committed against Soviet prisoners of war,[64][65] part of the Generalplan Ost and Hunger Plan
4. Nazi crimes against the Polish nation,[71][72] part of the Generalplan Ost

Nazi crimes against the nations of the USSR don't count.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Lpzie posted:

i don't get this thread....

I think I can explain it to you with one simple word...
hooldoomr.

Weka
May 5, 2019

ScrubLeague posted:

reading is books and books are for nerds sorry

Don't forget communists (a type of fascist).

Weka
May 5, 2019

It's the Ukrainian Stalin's Holodomor Memorial Museum.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Why blame Russia when it was a Gergio-Bolsheivik conspiracy?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Regarde Aduck posted:

yes, in December 2022. The sheer gall in waiting that long.

That's so long ago. It's ancient history. Get over it. Lets look to the future as we discuss the holodomor, which was a real genocide.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Smythe posted:

drat some really problematic things itt

such as the holodomor, which happened

Weka
May 5, 2019

SPR buying themselves a custom title saying the holodomor DIDN'T happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019