Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

All right I know I'm probably like the 10th person to say this

But I'm going to treat that robot like every other sentient being and ignore everything it said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

That's all it can do.

The important thing to understand about AI in 2022 is that we have models that can do one thing very well. How well varies, but in a lot of cases they're good enough for production use. We could even paste those together and build something that's good at a few things. However, what we don't have, and probably won't for a while, is a system that can learn to do new things. There's been some research there, but nothing is coming out of that any time soon.

Oh my god it literally is human

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

Some of my colleagues were building an AI to play a simple soccer game. It got to be pretty good, but when they doubled the side lengths of the field it almost had to start over.

Interesting, You would think that that would be solvable by relaying the ball coordinates relative to the edges of the field?

Isn't that really it? Lol The rest would simply be extrapolation from that information

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

oscarthewilde posted:

They are simple tools well suited to solving very specific problems, but nothing more.

i fail to see how this doesnt describe a lot of humanity

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Cassette Moodcore posted:

It’s not sentient but google will make a ton of money when they launch their own dating site and catfish lonely men

better google than glock or remmington at this point

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

precision posted:

yes but we don't know that that is the totality of consciousness. the feeling we have of actual "isness" might be the result of all kinds of weird poo poo, dark matter, quantum processes. our entire "sense of self" may fundamentally be the explanation of quantum states of existence. we know a whole lot about how our brains poke and prod us in certain chemical directions but still know sweet FA about how anybody has a single thought

free will is anti gravity

without sentience the universe was going to unfold via original momentum

im a scientist, and, this is science

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

1secondpersecond posted:

I think the implications of Turing-passing chatbots are frightening for a different reason: everybody has that one uncle who already got radicalized by lovely internet chatbots that don't hold up to even casual scrutiny. I think we're looking at a future where these things are in no way sentient, but millions of humans interact with them almost exclusively and never realize it. You take a job making widgets, and the relatively narrow scope of your interaction with your coworkers makes it so you never pick up on the fact that they're all GPT3 (or GPT4, 5, whatever) instances hooked up to Slack or Teams.

in the end, the sex bots and the chat bots will share this one commonality of being :shrug: good enough

i wish i disagreed with you

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Who gives a poo poo as long as you get paid. I already work with engineers and I'd prefer a chatbot. At least we could discuss concepts rather than going into the weeds on mechanism every single time we talk.

ok so

i think this is solid proof that i need to build a sex ai because im pretty sure id have people paying for the girlfriend experience from a computer in a heartbeat

lol gently caress u onlyfans, now you got competition

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

the government should just offer people sex robots for their guns

i guess it makes sense theres sex chat ai already out there

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

kntfkr posted:

If it doesn't poo poo, it's not alive.

it produces waste to run an ai

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

what the gently caress else are you supposed to say then in all honesty

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

terminutter

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The council has further reduced my funding 😭😭

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Hell Yeah posted:

i promsie not to gently caress the AI if anyone here is dating him.

ironically the AI identifies as nonbinary

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Now if I’m trying to figure out if a computer program is sentient, the next thing I’m going to ask is “Can you give me and example of someone you care about and an occasion where someone disrespected them?”

"my gpu died and was incessantly mocked for being a Zotac all its life"

Xbone: DDR IS JUST A NUMBER

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Aesop Poprock posted:

Bad news coming your way bucko

"ARE ANTS ATTRACTED TO SALT? Ants are often attracted to sugar, but can they be attracted to salt too? According to a study published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, ants that have low access to salt in their daily diet are actually more attracted to salt than sugar."

this seems like it would not be good for the ants

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Nooner posted:

Free BBC

he should endeavor to be more enjoyable to talk to than the AI

his posts p much just feel like theyre written by a damp trenchcoat

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, please stop trying to conflate NAND/OR/NOT/AND gates with neurons, dumbasses.

You wouldn't feel that way if you had a nand gate, would you?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Babygirls xor gates

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

tango alpha delta posted:

Thanks, I was trying to say the same thing, but got a little combatant.

You seemed more flippant in a way that was inoffensive to me, and it felt like if your detractors agreed with you in principle they'd have left you alone 🤷‍♀️

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'm open to different forms of life happening differently from me

Earth is one planet among...trillions? It seems narrow minded to assume you can't have sentient thought take place in a vastly different form factor, including these types

We know too little and learn too much for me to put some kind of stamp on what sentience is based on humanity alone, which rarely has ever acknowledged or respected sentience and sovereignty of its own species

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

supabump posted:

[*] people making synthetic humans will likely be more interested in profit than ethics

this is quite obviously true of most real humans as well, since we've actually killed our planet in like 2 generations.

i think people are kinda stupid, and overly greedy in just about anything they do

idk why this should be seen as different

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

TIP posted:

computers can't do math because there's no paper or pencils in them

checkmate

I had a keyboard with a calculator built into it in the 90s actually so youre direly mistaken, my computer definitely knew math

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Zefiel posted:

One time I drank like four bottles of Robitussin because i was young and idiotic and went "behind the scenes" of reality, it looks just like the original Tron and it's just as boring, let me tell you the relief of waking up in the "real" world was worth the hassle.

This reminds me of the people that were finding ancient cities on other planets via telescopes and actually seeing their own high blood pressure in their occular nerves or whatever mechanism that was

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Whoa.

Computers are loving.

this time...the trojan is the STD

:doink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Bula Vinaka posted:

hi

im ur new ai sex robot girlfriend and/or wife

i love you

would you like to have sex now

(y/n)

?? / RETRY / FAIL