Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is the Star Citizen grift train still going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sandepande posted:

CP2077 uses RED engine, but seemed ok. Less spoons on tables though.

I mean to be fair CP2077 was pretty infamously not okay for a good long time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raygereio posted:

I haven't paid much attention to Starfield since it was first announced. I'm looking at some of the released gameplay footage & trailers and one thing I'm kind of surprised at is that Bethesda didn't reuse the power armor mechanics from FO4 for a mech suit of sorts.

They almost certainly had that planned at some point and couldn't make it work which is why mechs in the setting are just nonfunctional. There is probably an entire game's worth of content on the cutting room floor, some of which will be repurposed for DLC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I wanna get on the hype train, I have a ticket, but the train isn't running? Where's the campaign for the game its almost launch

I'm not really sure where you've been looking but Starfield stuff is loving everywhere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah I see lots of ads but not much content. That new live action trailer just dropped I guess, but where's keanu reeves riding through town in a corvette hitting people with starfield wiffle balls

They have a big neon sign that says "DID YOU LIKE FALLOUT? WOULD YOU LIKE MORE FALLOUT BUT IN SPACE?" and a record number of people threw their money at the screen so they probably don't need to do much else

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Are there stats in this game or is it just Skyrim like skills? Can you have a low int?

No stats, not Skyrim skills. You get a point when you level up and can invest it in one of a few trees

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't imagine how this will backfire!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

Todd confirmed that Starfield has NG+

It has NG+ but they probably won't say much about it for plot reasons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

I’d be interested to see where NG+ starts you. The gamescom demo shows the start of the game where you are a miner that touches an alien artifact that sets you off on your story.

You don't have to replay the tutorial if that is your concern.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Waiting a month for the NG+ mod so I don't have to play the game twice

never done a NG+ unless you count diablo 2

NG+ is in at launch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

maybe I'm dumb- you gotta beat the game to play NG+, right?

Oh, I misread you and thought you meant "it needed to be modded in."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Valatar posted:

I don't know why people ask dumbfuck questions about space games like, "If you point your ship at a star and turn on the sublight engine will you get there if you leave the game running for 25 years?" Getting from one planet to another in a system would take weeks on the low end if you didn't have a FTL way to cut the trip short. E:D's in-system drive is FTL and it can still take several minutes to get from one planet to another, NMS's pulse drive also must be FTL and again, takes a while to bounce around planets with it. In no case can you just slow boat your way to a planet or star, because that's not how the game engines are set up and because it would be retarded to try even if it was possible. I get that it would be cool in theory if a space game engine was actually somehow modelling all of space in one gargantuan instance, but in practice it's pointless.

People are asking about going from, say, a planet to its moon or a nearby planet, not from one end of the galaxy to the other as far as I can tell.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I mean there’s also dick all information on character building right now. Oh such and such gets the Robotics skill which grants +10% damage to robots and turrets. Is uh…is that it? Got anything less devastatingly boring to show off than that? No?

That is because that is the skill system in the game. There aren't any character stats.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah no poo poo dude, but there are probably FO4/Skyrim-esque perks (it's not like they ever deviate that much from their previous game) attached to those skills and they instead led with bland oatmeal.

I mean no, they haven't. They've shown off the entire skill tree. Someone actually pieced together the entire tree from various things. Three seconds of google found this for example.

You have 5 trees, each tree has 4 layers of skills, each skill has 4 levels. You need to invest (x) points into the tree before you can reach the higher layer. You need to complete a Challenge to buy the higher levels of a specific skill.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 24, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

on any given day, the moon is around 239,000 miles away from the Earth. I dont know what the speed of a Starfield ship in space is, but lets say its at 300 meters per second, capped, which is unrealistic but also likely cause I highly doubt theres Newtonian flight physics in this game.

It would take just shy of 15 days of nonstop travel to get there. Mars is, on average cause the planets are constantly moving, 230 million miles away. That journey would take a little over 39 years to complete

turns out that space is really drat big and inconvenient to navigate

This is a game where you can fight a space t-rex with a space katana. I think anyone playing it isn't expecting realism.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

The 360 was pretty wimpy and games like half life 2 looked much better years earlier. Oblivions textures were a blurry mess

I feel like comparing a mostly linear first person shooter to an open world game isn't really particularly fair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ymgve posted:

So does «while adventuring» mean when you’re outside your ship, or do you have to run a completely solo ship crew?

It means having a combat companion following you around, not ship crew.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This thread feels like its veering between expectations wildly.

It is s Bethesda game. You know what you are getting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sponges posted:

Am I the only one who kinda likes how buggy and janky Bethesdas games are? It leads to some crazy hilarious poo poo and it almost a style of theirs.

people like to poo poo on their games but they have a certain texture and flavor to them that’s wholly unique.

I strongly disagree with the latter. There are a lot of games that have that texture but they're almost all from smaller developers. Plenty of Eurojank games are as ambitious (if not more) than Bethesda games but also tend to be just as weird and buggy. Bethesda has the advantage of a marketing budget and being (relatively) more polished but that's kind of why I don't think 'it's fun for it to be buggy' is a good selling feature for them because the reason people are interested in them over something made for $15 by a hugely ambitious and absolutely crazy dude in Ukraine is the amount of polish they have in comparison.

Bethesda stuff is all about giving a big simple sandbox to play around with and then letting it go and it's rarely more ambitious than that. And that's fine, that is what they are good at, but it also means that what people want from it is to be free of any serious bugs that get in the way of having fun in that sandbox/modding that sandbox/whatever. It's fun to laugh at an NPC t-posing but it loving sucks when an NPC t-poses and can't be fixed and now you can't advance a questline or whatever.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 28, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

much less horny than cyberpunk 2077

Starfield is probably the least horny of the Big Name Titles this year by a wide margin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

yeah I worship the great serpent and I do it the best way there is. long haul truckin', baby

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

The gaming decisions I have to make these days are too much. Do I spend 100 dollars to play this game early?

Forget horse armor, MTX, and loot crates. Just let gamers spend $1000 to play 1 month early.

The answer is "no, do not." Even if it is the greatest game ever made it isn't worth the cost of an entire different game just to play it shortly before anyone else can. If it was like a MMO or other online game where a few days mattered I could see maybe arguing it but it's a single player game. You don't need to rush it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flowing Thot posted:

But I get the first DLC included not just 5 days of early access. Best value.

Yeah but if you want five days you can get the game for (effectively) free if you have Gamepass and then buy the DLC later if you really like it which is cheaper still.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

i looked at the leaks on reddit and it seems to just be a lot of idiots upset that there are loading screens? and that you can't walk the entire planet in one landing? do they not know what company is making this game? honestly confused

There are other games to compare it to and I think Bethesda should prooobably have been more straightforward about it being Space Fallout 4 instead of an entire new paradigm.

I am sure people eill be fine once they play it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

All of these games are using much newer engines where texture streaming et cetera are part of the basic feature-set. The engine Starfield is based upon started development in 1997, and still has bug-for-bug compatibility over 20 years later.
It's not just possible but probable that texture streaming et al simply couldn't be retrofitted like they were hoping.

It is 100% reasonable to work within the confines of what your engine can do and it's much smarter to do so in fact.

That's separate from audience expectations though. There are other games to compare it to and 'our engine just can't do that' isn't necessarily going to be a reasonable excuse to people who've massively built hype up in their head. It doesn't help that this is the year of TotK and BG3 so people are kind of in a mindset of "our ridiculously overinflated expectations can actually be met."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mistermojo posted:

I like that people are trying to justify this convoluted tile system by saying theres no point in exploring it. just fast travel to the objectives or better yet open the console and type ‘movetoqt’ then.

I think this is something that is going to hit very differently for different players. For some people the ability to just explore around and probably come across something is vital to why they enjoy the game while other people (myself included here) prefer to fast travel whenever possible. Bethesda games usually are great for the former so it's going to be interesting to see how they take to Starfield.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

lol

Eurogamer just said they were deliberately withheld a review copy of Starfield so they haven't gotten the game at all. They've been in contact with Bethesda and Microsoft who are straight up refusing to budge.
DF has the game and they were strictly told by MS not to let Eurogamer play it.

That's shady as gently caress

https://www.eurogamer.net/eurogamer-and-bethesda-starfield

Judging by what they are saying it sounds like it's Microsoft being pissy about the UK blocking the Activision deal more than anything specifically about Eurogamer but it's still loving weird to let DF get it and then go "BUT NOBODY ELSE."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

But surely publishers would be pleased not to have to pay out those bonuses? EA wasn't crying too much about cancelling bioware's.

Yes but metacritic scores are a useful marketing tool so in the long run a good metacritic score is probably balances out in marketing costs the cost of bonuses.

Which loving sucks, mind you, but that's capitalism.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

K8.0 posted:

What are the best stories and best written characters in video games? Why are the majority of the answers you get not from RPGs, and why is the RPG that most consistently shows up in people's answers the one that makes you pick between two archetypes?

....what?

The Witcher 3? Planescape Torment? Disco Elysium?

poo poo, just off the top of my head, RPGs that got praised for great stories and characters (I don't necessarily agree.)

Knights of the Old Republic
Baldur's Gate
Undertale
Final Fantasy (whatever)
Ghost of Tsushima
Fallout: New Vegas
Persona (whatever)
Hades
Yakuza
Nier
Horizon: Zero Dawn

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 29, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

K8.0 posted:

If I give you other people's answers you're not going to like them. Go out and find them for yourself. You will get a lot of Mass Effect, some The Witcher 3, but mostly you're going to get people answering things like RDR2, The Last of Us, and a lot of other games that are not RPGs. Because RPG writing/storytelling sucks and isn't fun.

I'm not in the niche here, I'm explaining the mainstream to you. Bethesda massively outsells all other RPGs, and they do it with awful writing because no one gives a gently caress about the poo poo writing in RPGs.

You are absolutely the niche here and also wrong on most of your facts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

In the day one patch notes:

Say what now?

"There is less pop-in during the cutscene of your ship landing on a planet."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lobsterminator posted:

K8.0 isn't going far enough with their takes. I would say that playing a role is what is worst about RPGs. And skills or perks. And leveling.

Only thing people really like about RPGs is inventory management, but they don't want to admit it.

Backpack Hero is great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The dark secret of Starfield is that it will probably be Bethesda's worst-selling game in a good while not due to anything about its quality or lack thereof but because it's only being released on PC and X-Box while all their other stuff has been aggressively multiplat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rkd_ posted:

True, I think it's because Skyrim is the best-selling RPG ever. But it's true that the other games or the franchise overall doesn't come close.

The best selling RPG ever remains classic Pokemon (though the Red/Blue/Yellow split muddles things there.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Earwicker posted:

hell if this was a trek game no one would complain about the inability to fly a ship around on a planet, you'd just beam down and think nothing of it. instead of hitting an invisible wall you'd have your transporter op yelling at you "your getting out of range, im picking up some kind of interference, better turn around" etc

I don't know if you could do a Star Trek game like Starfield. It'd be sort of weird to imagine Picard wandering through an abandoning facility shoving every twinkie and wrench into his space pockets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azhais posted:

I'm honestly curious if those are only direct sales, or distributed copies. Like I personally own six copies of Skyrim. One copy I purchased on steam when it came out. One copy I "purchased" on the Xbox only because the "fallout 4+Skyrim" bundle was cheaper than just buying fallout 4 on its own. And then two each of SE/AE which I got for free.

Am I two or six of those sixty mil?

You'll never find out because Hollywood Accounting.

The vast majority of sales numbers we know are estimated, from one region only, not divided by console, may or may not count humble bundles/sales/giveaways, and who knows what else. The closest you can come to getting 'accurate' sales numbers is like Nintendo stuff because it never goes on sale and is released on one console.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

what I've learned is that Starfield should have a collectable monster system if it really wants to be a good game that sells copies

alternatively, the Elder Scrolls series is the best selling game franchise of all time but nobody knows or can prove it because Bethesda keeps it a secret

If Bethesda made "what if Skyrim but you could collect cute animals and make them fight for you" they'd probably break the world's economy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

Is the ladder a scripted animation or can you pause halfway up and go back down

Scripted animation that stops at 'levels'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

What kind of survival mechanics does the game have? Do I have to actually eat my collection of sandwiches that is piling on my desk?

You can get sick if your protection wears out on a hostile planet and get injuries from falls/attacks but no hunger/thirst/etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Oxygen seems to be a much needed thing. Assumable only in places that you know, don't have oxygen.

Oxygen is actually your stamina meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

Any idea how many consumables are in the game? Do I need to horde every single medical pack, sandwich, and bit of wire I find to store in my ships inventory because I might need it one day?

Is that how you played Fallout 4? If so yes, if not no.