Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

No Man's Skyrim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

any random player is gonna spend 5% of their time flying/dogfighting, 70% exploring empty planets and copy-pasted outposts, and 25% in menus

worrying about HOTAS support or how advanced the flight model will be seems ridiculous to me

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

People are asking about going from, say, a planet to its moon or a nearby planet, not from one end of the galaxy to the other as far as I can tell.

on any given day, the moon is around 239,000 miles away from the Earth. I dont know what the speed of a Starfield ship in space is, but lets say its at 300 meters per second, capped, which is unrealistic but also likely cause I highly doubt theres Newtonian flight physics in this game.

It would take just shy of 15 days of nonstop travel to get there. Mars is, on average cause the planets are constantly moving, 230 million miles away. That journey would take a little over 39 years to complete

turns out that space is really drat big and inconvenient to navigate

this of course, assumes that theres realistic distances involved here. Since theres no way that Starfield is simulating a pocket of the galaxy, with revolving planets around the stars and all of that, its kind of a moot point

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 24, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i think part of the disappointment with the proc gen chunks on planets is that multiple space games have successfully pulled off this trick now. Off the top of my head, you have No Mans Sky, Elite, and hell, even Star Citizen can do this. Its a bit disappointing that one of the biggest AAA studios, known for their large open-worlds, cant pull off a seamless planet in their space game

obviously, in terms of gameplay, its not a big deal, because each chunk will barely have anything to do in it anyways, and the only way to navigate on planet is by foot so a seamless planet would only draw more attention to that massive drawback. People that want a full planet dont really know what theyre asking for and how terrible it would be to play that with the current systems that Starfield has

Now, if there were drivable ground vehicles and in-atmosphere flight with landing anywhere, this would be a different conversation imo

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

buttchugging adderall posted:

I'd argue the reason they didn't do ground vehicles is specifically because they can't or won't do a seamless planet.

i agree. I think the decision to not have seamless planets was likely made early in development, probably around the time they realized how much work it would have been to have in-atmosphere flight. Once you cut that feature, you no longer need to worry about generating the surface in realtime or even having a coherent surface outside of small chunks that the player navigates

they decided that they would rather spend their time and resources into making nearly infinite chunks that the player could have on-foot adventures in and then use their ship like a glorified fast-travel menu rather than trying to get everything to fit together into a seamless space simulator that most of the playerbase would likely want to skip anyways. In my experience with space games, space travel is still really boring, even with ftl drives and supercruise in-system travel. I dont begrudge Bethesda for focusing on the in-planet stuff instead

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Earwicker posted:

the last time bethesda tried to make a vehicle was the "horses" in skyrim. try riding those and compare to literally any other game that has horses, and then be glad there are no vehicles in this game.

while vehicles would be nice, id rather have some form of frictionless boots that could be used in combination with the jetpack to slide down hills and blast off of slopes. Some kind of "skiing" type movement, if you will

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Mario Odyssey is the best drat rpg ive ever payed and its not even close

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Gonkish posted:

Guys I am excited for Skyrim in Space. Like unreasonably so. I want to kill space bandits and collect space loot and visit space towns. :allears:

Im sorry, but this game is actually going to be Fallout in Space. Please adjust your expectations accordingly.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

is there a list of all the skills and their effects?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

PeePot posted:

There's a pretty good character creator. Select your Background and then clicking on Physical, Combat etc for the skills. Traits linked below that.

https://nukesdragons.com/starfield

ty

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Rinkles posted:

i'm not mousing over black bars, but i am very curious wtf you're all taking about (wrt NG+).

from what I understand, there are [GAME FEATURES] that you get through the main story, but they are limited. You can enhance/upgrade [GAME FEATURES] only in NG+

going to NG+ will wipe all your outposts and faction progress, but let you keep your character's level and stuff. If you are interested in [GAME FEATURES], youre put in an awkward position where its better to blast through the game and get into NG+ as quickly as possible, rather than spend a bunch of time in side activities that will get wiped anyways

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Kaddish posted:

A. I may have worded that poorly because I was asking if, like other BGS games, it was never-nude undies only.
B. I absolutely install nude mods in every BGS game because of my IMMERSION

:kstare:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

hate it when that happens to me

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Todd Howard you god drat dork.

I've been watching gameplay videos and have noticed that when you fire a gun, each round is actually comprised of two projectiles. One is an invisible hitscan projectile that actually registers hits and causes damage and NPC hit reactions, and the other is a slow rear end tracer round that doesn't actually cause any damage, it's just supposed to looks "cool" as it flies through the air, taking MUCH longer to reach the NPC than the instant hitscan bullet.

You know how in bad wrestling matches, you see a punch thrown and it obviously misses, but the other guy still staggers and acts like he got hit? That's the exact effect this has on gunfire. You shoot the gun, the NPC instantly reacts and you see blood splatter, and then the tracer round slooooowly exits the gun and starts to fly at the NPC and doesn't actually arrive at the NPC for a quarter of a second or so.

Lol get hosed, Todd. You made firing guns feel stupid and disconnected in your space gun firing game. Hopefully at least some eventual mod should probably be able to delete player tracer rounds altogether and fix the issue.

i hope someone was fired for this blunder

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

is it me, or enemies extremely bullet spongy? Still early, around level 5, but it takes over a whole mag from the space-P90 to kill a random mook. Im having trouble dealing with ammo cause i chew through so much of it for each encounter.

tbf im playing on the hardest difficulty, but i was hoping that would make everyone, player and enemy, hit super hard to make the combat fast and lethal

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

:emptyquote:

He wanted a mod, not a difficulty setting.

several games have difficulty modes where both enemies and the player have very lethal damage, its pretty fun. The game just says that difficulty affects damage, but it doesnt say how. I guess i was foolish for thinking itd be the fun kind of hard difficulty and not the tedious kind

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

I didn't even see it. Where was it.

same, kept expecting it to jump out but it never did :iiam:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Dramicus posted:

The companions really need to shut up about me picking poo poo up. I don't care if they think I have too much.

it took me waaaayyy too long to realize that being overburdened would lower your O2 levels when moving around. Kept thinking that my suit was running out of O2 and so i sprinted through every enemy, trying to get to the end of the first dungeon and getting mad that i never had enough time before my person ran out of air and suffocated

when it finally clicked that O2 = stamina, i felt very silly

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

George Sex - REAL posted:

You should give Starsector a whirl if you haven't already. It takes heavy inspiration from SC2 and is likewise extremely good.

Starfield would be so amazing if it stole some of the fleet and colony mechanics from Starsector

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

are there any rivers or oceans in this game?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

it dont matter posted:

Found a good source of resources: on the same planet as the Mantis base is a civilian outpost with a trader that carries a poo poo load of stuff (including adhesive...)

Also, there's an increased damage mod which helped make combat feel much better: https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/817

More damage to you and enemies so less bullet spongy, and the extras option makes it much more obvious when you're being shot.

hell ya

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

really dont know what bethesda was thinking in regards to carry capacity and selling poo poo. The individual limit is ok, but i dont see how a ship with several dedicated cargo modules can only carry a few times what a person is capable of. Apparently its even worse with the outpost storage. The menus are bad enough, but you have to spend so much drat time moving poo poo around inventories and selling to multiple vendors since each one barely has any money

game desperately needs an inventory overhaul where vendors have 50x the cash and ships/outposts can store at least 20x as much stuff so its much easier to set up dedicated materials storage and offload vendor trash without hopping around the entire galaxy

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Lexorin posted:

I wish the skill upgrade challenges took more effort and didn't cost a skill point.

ya, i think this would be the quickest fix for the system imo. There are what, 80ish skills in the game? Each one has four levels so a character would need to be level 320+ to max out everything in this game. Considering that a player will get to level 35-50 when they beat the main quest means that there are a TON of skills and mechanics that will be ignored by each player. Who is taking the cooking or surveying skills when combat is so pervasive in the game?

its weird cause what is the design goal of the current system? does bethesda want every character to be highly specialized, necessitating many playthroughs in order to see all the game mechanics, or do they want every character to be able to take on all the content in a single playthrough? If they want to have multiple playthroughs with new characters, then why are there so many NG+ mechanics and why can a player join every faction? It all feels at ends with itself

now that i type this all out, i think im gonna just give myself the additional ranks of skills for free to see how that feels, cause like hell am i gonna play through this game 6+ times to see if extra persuasion or better surveying is worth a whole playthrough

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Would love to see a non-promo behind the scenes or some dev conference breakdown debriefing. Very curious how they arrived at many of these design choices and limitations. Like was the planet thing a design choice or tech issue, on the surface it seems like they could stitch as many procgen planes together to make a planet just like NMS does. They don't even have to worry about in-world caves like NMS does. It would not make the game better itself, but does feel somewhat arbitrary of a half measure either way, I would just be curious how they went about all these choices when trying to make this and why.

my guess is that they learned very early that the engine could not handle in-atmosphere flight for an entire planet. Once they cut that feature, everything else kinda makes sense. no need to have the entire surface available at any moment since the player can only run on foot and theyd be tethered to their ship anyways. No need to have detailed space flight, since they would need a menu to land on a planet etc

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

anyone else getting the bug where opening your inventory will crater your fps to about 10-15, even after you close the inventory?

very annoying, but theres also a simple remedy. If you open and close your inventory over and over, eventually it will fix itself and go back to normal fps

not running any mods so not sure whats causing this besides general jankiness. Hope bethesda can fix this quickly cause i frequently have to go into the menus

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Azhais posted:

There's only like 5000 people in the galaxy apparently, so that's pretty drastic

makes the player a huge monster when they kill 1000+ spacers each playthrough

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Mr. Pool posted:

maybe this is an eloi/morlocks type deal. Inside the Settled Colonies: 5000 people. Periphery of the settled colonies: 500M spacers, Varuun zealots, and pirates

no one wants to work anymore 😞

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the game drops to 10 fps whenever i open a menu and stays that way when i close it. I can sometimes fix the fps by opening and closing the menu, but thats very tedious since you have to go into the menus so often. Its ~50fps for me normally so its very jarring and basically unplayable. It wasnt like this for my first 20 hours

anyone else having this issue or know what to do? dont want to bench my run but if its like this, then its no fun