Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Not Alex posted:

Go to procgen outpost, generically shoot some dudes, gain resources to upgrade an interesting treadmill, repeat ad infinitum.

Gameplay should be fun, not the chore you have to complete before getting an increment of ship/colony/house upgrade or whatever actually drew your interest.

Don't forget "surveying". In the video you see at the top right a box which has a % surveyed thing at the top right of the screen just after the user selected a thing on a random planet. Underneath including things like:
1/2 flora
0/4 fauna
0/7 resources

Ugh, that better be an optional side quest type thing. Though as the main plot line sounds like it goes through a faction "exploring" the galaxy have a bit of sinking feeling about it.

More optimistically having starting perks that have both positive and negative affects is good. Also as one of the perks is having two alive parents, at least the plot seems like the plot won't be another your family is dead/in danger thing at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

it'll probably end up being both but oh man i would love if the epic conclusion of the main quest is just you getting a co-author credit on a research paper detailing social habits of a long dead alien race and nothing else

The bad ending is because you hosed up some of the earlier missions the research is actually pretty shoddy, and you weren't able to back up a lot of the papers finding with harder evidence. The paper than fails to pass peer review and you have to settle for talking about "the super cool long dead aliens race, that 100% really exist, trust me!!!" in an interview with some crank tabloid instead.

You do not get tenure.

to be fair they are saying 200k voice lines which is a pretty big step up from skyrim's 60k so i'm lowkey optimistic about scale of actual content in this game

Yeah 200k lines seems like there will at lest be a lot of talking. Now yeah as pointed out that doesn't mean they're good lines, but the fact they chose to go with a non voiced player I think does point to them actually wanting to go with more conversation heavy way. Although Skyrim didn't either and the dialogue in that, um wasn't exactly the greatest.

Also like the fact they're keeping the amount of cities small. Hopefully that means they well actually put a good amount of detail in them, and they won't be like some of the "cities" in skyrim, which were like 4 shops and 10 houses.

Anyway the fact that the main quest line seems simpler, and their seems to be a bunch of factions and at least two mutually exclusive religions and what not, I thing could be a good sign. Currently BGS, hasn't been great a writing complicated main quests, but they can still do decent side quest/faction quests.

Modding being mentioned as definitely being a thing was also big relief. However it turns out to be, no way I'm playing it until at least at least a couple of month after release and there's a decent community patch about to fix the what ever jank there be.

Interview did make me at least cautiously optimistic about it, while the actually gameplay trailer left me pretty unexcited about it in anyway.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FBS posted:

The general response to this has been kind of baffling. It looks exactly like a Bethesda RPG. It looks pretty much like I imagined it would look when it was first announced, and anyone who was expecting anything different is a fool.

1,000 planets sounds just about right for a population of hand-tweaked procgen worlds. My biggest concern is that they'll overdo the human presence and put a hundred random settlements on each one, or make you fight space pirates every time you try to land somewhere. No Man's Sky is cool but seeing a spaceship fly by every two minutes while you're wandering around Random Planet #635184838 is cartoonish. Space is big and empty and it should feel more like Elite Dangerous than NMS.

I mean what would make sense is having the 4 cities they going to build in different solar systems a bit a part, but sort of bunched together, sight area of influence around them, so you're more likely to run into one factions random base or starport or what ever around "their" solar system. Then when you go further out then that, just procgen planets unless their is a specific one for a quest. I mean that what makes sense to me, obviously no idea if that's what they're actually doing.

One thing Todd said is the planets are all going to be pre-Procgen, so that everyone has the same procgen plants. Which just thinking of game file size, like they're -hopefully- not going to be releasing a 2TB game or what not, so assume, they have an Procgen algorithm to make the planets, and they will just in the game file, included a predetermined seeds for each planet to not bloat the file size, and then if they are doing any custom stuff on that planet, just say at location xx,xx place this mapb7.map or whatever. Otherwise the game will just be bloated to hell.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

1glitch0 posted:

Doesn't 4 cities seem incredibly low?

I mean F:NV had one, and a couple of small towns and what not scatted about. Would prefer few cities with more depth, then a whole bunch, that just seem soulless contentless husks that look identical to every other. Just there for the sake of being there. From the three cities they've shown, they do seem to of given each a pretty distinctive look which is nice.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mycroft Holmes posted:

speaking of settlements, another settlement needs your help. I'll mark it on your map.

You're god drat lucky you're a non-killable NPC Preston!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FishMcCool posted:

I want to believe these rants were procedurally generated by the Starfield NPC dialogue AI.

Oh, well yep Starfields gonna be wildride. Like no idea how it would actually play, but super up for literally all the NPC just hating you on sight, and going on long rants against you when ever you say anything.

"Make you leader of this faction, haha no, gently caress youuuu! Like Just looking at you disgust me, and like that one super simple task I gave you to do, you just hosed up so royal. So um gently caress off. Oh and by the way, I shat in your bed while you were away. So yeah, have fun with cleaning that up."

(actually would legitimately like if there was a RPG where you could do a 1 charisma play through and all the NPC's just naturally just really hated you. I guess Vampire: The Masquerade, Nosferatu run would be closest to that)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

You can briefly see one of the NPC's using a mining laser as a weapon in the trailer so it's definitely possible!

If this can't be use along side a cannibalism perk than I don't even know anymore.

You've already mined their drat meat, drat it!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TheNamedSavior posted:

They're literally letting you actually visit your parents in this game if you pick a certain starting trait, don't blame me for suggesting they might have actual effort put in this game, jesus.

Yeah, but all that visiting your parents does is give you a straight up 10% remembering to clean your room, stat boost. Lame.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

John F Bennett posted:

We don't know what it exactly does yet but honestly, the optional 'have parents' trait sounds like one of the most interesting perks a Bethesda rpg has ever done. Could be great for RP'ing, a reason to return home to the family once in a while for a visit over the weekend. Maybe have a meal together.

I think it's nice, it warms my heart.

I just told you what it does. Now clean your drat room :colbert:.

Buy yeah, that along with choosing a starting faction/area you live in, and/or religion are pretty positive signs they're actually putting thought into RPG side of things.

OwlFancier posted:

it's going to end with me shooting my parents in the face because parent garvey keeps sending me texts asking me to help their settlement out

You'll never become leader president arch-mage head General of your family with that attitude!

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 21, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'll give todd howard this, for better or worse It really does seem like this a game he wanted made.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

marshmallow creep posted:

Across one thousand worlds, there are only, maybe, four people who will gently caress you.

I mean as every single player will inevitably be a murder hobo, who steals everything that it's physically possible to and get everywhere via hopping, this just shows people in the future have good taste.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bad Purchase posted:

warning, don't watch the starfield section of that interview, it's long and bad and full of the interviewer waxing broetic

Yeah the interviewer is really not great Makes it pretty hard to listen to.

Anything interesting said about ohter upcoming projects in the non-starfeild parts, or is mostly just Tod howards view on past stuff.?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah I think there are some people who a massive fans of Bethesda early stuff, who may really not like him, and think fallout 76 and everything surrounding that might have of gained him quite a few more people who legit don't like the guy. More widely though it does just seem to be mostly just light heatedly making a bit fun with little actually ill will.

Personally not the biggest fan of the direction he seems to of lead Bethesda games, but seems pretty obvious he does care about games a lot, and also knows what makes a successful one (not including a few mistakes like Redguard and 76).

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

if this game ends like Star Citizen I swear to god I will

I mean I'd be incredibly surprised if it's not actually released, and despite any Bethesda bugs, be playable.

At worst I think it will just be pretty dull and unmemorable.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Titanic posted:

You literally can't make a video game these days without something like magic, espresso if it's an rpg.

I really don't like golf games, but if there's one where you can use magic, you know what, I think I'd defiantly at least give it a try.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah, a lot of the stuff like the huge amount of worlds, and ship building/camp building not really into, but that they got the person who was the lead designer for far harbor as the lead quest designer on Starfield, got me sort optimistic that there might actually going to be some well thought out main quest stuff happening. And what we've seen from the character selection screen seems pretty interesting as well.

Not expecting the greatest game ever, but if I can enjoyably play it for 30hrs, then I'm more than happy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Nice to hear that it seems like they're taking the fallout 4 rather than skyrim approach to factions.

Always felt that being pretty much automatically made the head of every faction you joined, and none of really mattering just made the world feel pretty static. While how Fallout 4 handle the faction had a few issues that mostly seemed to be a writing thing. Having a faction available to you until get to a point where they notice you've actively start working against them works. Still sort of hoping they've put in a NV style reputation system, but feel like they probably would of mentioned here if that was the case.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The date given still seems to be "first half of 2023". I gonna guess later in the first half just because feel like if it was going to come out in the next month or two think they would of given a firm date by now.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

J-Spot posted:

I would not be surprised if it slips all the way to Q4.

I mean yeah, at the moment I would be pretty surprised if it slipped to 2024, but really wouldn't be surprised by pretty much any date in 2023.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

marktheando posted:

it's a shame earth seems to be destroyed or uninhabitable or otherwise not available. i was hoping this was a more optimistic setting

Hey it may be set in a fantastical sci-fi future, but you do need to have some realism.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Titanic posted:

I noticed that too. Was hoping for more new stuff to see.

I guess my big question is: which npc will be telling me when my settlement is under attack by aliens/bugs? Will my map turn red as I continue to ignore their plight after rescuing them from 6 raiders and a flying insect for the 14th time?

The only recurring character from fallout 4 obviously. The Preston Garvey clone army is obviously going to be the ones to know which settlements need your help.

But despite their vast inescapable number, you and you alone, will always have to be the one to help that settlement!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DaysBefore posted:

The wait for Starfield is one thing but imagine being an Elder Scrolls fan, good luck even seeing a proper trailer before 2025.

Fallout fans are looking at what 2030 at the earliest? I still reckon that MS will somehow convince Bethesda to do something else with fallout before the next releases as that's crazy.

No 76 doesn't count.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've only played Daggerfall Unity and you CAN walk from one place to another because I tried it, but there's nothing there and no reason to - the game world is just a "height map" that loads in random trees and poo poo.

It might be technically possible to walk until you leave your city behind you but it doesn't mean anything for the gameplay.

It really does sort of bring up the why was daggerfall made so big when the content wasn't really there for it. This goes for Starfield as well. With Starfield they are claiming that none curated areas are still going to be more interesting, and not just as you say a "height map" that loads in randoms trees and poo poo.

With Daggerfall I think part of the reason was for better word aesthetic. It didn't matter so much that you weren't going to ever walk between towns, but just knowing the world was there make the world feel bigger. Feel more like an actual world and not have that Oblivion/Skyrim issue where major cities can almost be seen from one another and all have like 20-40 building in them. Just makes what's meant to be a massive world feel more like your on a small island or something with a few small villages in it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

chaosapiant posted:

I’d love a sourceport of some kind for Arena.

Remake it in the wolf 3d engine cowards!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Eh, I'm not the biggest fan of todd, just because it seems he likes to like to simplify a lot of the rpg mechanics, which I mean in some cases yeah probably actually good, but tends to lead to shallower experience, more to do, but with less impact and what not. But yeah seems like he is legit is passionate about making games, and is in his dream job, so like, good for him.

Unless it's studio heads/publishers screwing over employees, doing lovely manipulative micro transaction bullshit, or making a "hitler made some good points actually" type game, it's very stupid to actively put thought into disliking people in the games industry.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So now I'm wondering, how will Starfield top this in terms of physical rewards?

Has any publisher managed to kill anyone via physical rewards spreading tetanus. Although honestly that seems more an EA type thing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Mars is in the game, they showed a few locations of the planet.

They didn't show the moons of mars though. That's where all the demons are!

NASA share all your Mars moon demon photos already!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Plutos not going to be included just to piss off the people who still try and claim it's a planet.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Popete posted:

Cargo hauling seems like it'll be a thing since you can slap a bunch of shipping crates onto your ship.

I believe they specifically said it's a thing, as well as running contraband. Be interested to see if it's as wonderfully broken as Smithing/enchanting.

Don't be a coward Todd just let us break the economy!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Aphex- posted:

Looks great, I've got every Bethesda game on release (apart from FO76) and I've always had an absolute blast. This is looking no different! The character animations are still so Bethesda but apart from that everything else looks really, really cool.

The faces as well, got lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When they comes at ya, they doesn't seem be living. Honestly it sort of funny at this point, particularly because a lot of the game looks really nice, so the expressionless faces stand out more.

They haven't said much about the plot but as it seems to be keeping pretty generic, character from random background is in search of aliens and can help one faction in a power struggle along the way, I think they're may actually be a chance it's not a total mess like Fallout 4. Seems significant enough as something you might want to do, but not something super important like "your son is missing find them now!!!!" that it feels weird that your not doing it and instead you're placing all the items in someones house on top of their roof or whatever.

Edit: There really should be an "easily distracted" perk that gives you a buffs for putting off missions and generally just doing things in the least efficient way, and debuffs if you ever start doing anything efficiently.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 12, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

1glitch0 posted:

I dunno "cave" and "barrow" kept me pretty entertained in Skyrim.

I think it's more of issue if it's instead of hand created content or your forced to interact with it. Like I don't have a problem with radiant quests if it's made clear that's what they are and it's just a side thing you can do if you want, but when it's something like with the minute men where it's more central to one of the main plot lines than it's a bit rubbish.

Personally I'd prefer less amount of stuff and more time put into a lesser number of thing. Like Skyrim has 197 "places that can be cleared". Like a smaller map with half as many, with more effort put in would of been fine. Having said that I spent around 50 hrs in Skyrim before I started to feel like I'd seen and done most of the stuff felt like i'd want to and I'm fine with that.

It sounds like when your exploring they're going to make it very clear which plants have the hand created stuff, and which ones are pro-gen gen with life, and which ones are just pro-gen geology, Which sounds great solution. Let the people who want to visit and play around in a whole bunch of pro-gen worlds do that, let people who don't avoid them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

marktheando posted:

i hope you can join the space snake cultists, i'm not sure i like the choice between being a fascist starfleet grunt or a libertarian space cowboy

I'm pretty sure that was one of the traits you can start off with, growing up as one of their member of them.

Indoctrinated from birth in a snake cult, wooo! God I hope you get some fun unique dialogue choices with that one.

Edit: Just checked, yep there's three -mutually exclusive- religious traits you can chose to start off with, with serpents embrace being one.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/starfield/traits-best

Edit 2: The trait effect is a bit wild:
Serpent’s Embrace

You grew up worshiping the Great Serpent. Grav jumping provides a temporary boost to health and endurance, but health and endurance are lowered if you don’t continue jumping regularly – like an addiction. (Can’t be combined with any other religion trait.)

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 12, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

marktheando posted:

Yeah I know, they showed how you can use that trait to get past a snake patrol, but no word on if they are a proper quest giving faction you can side with like the space pirates or if they are just villains.

Not going to lie, would love a side quest where you just go door to door in a town trying to convince people to join the snake cult while constantly jumping up and down.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Daztek posted:

There's probably already a skyrim mod that does this

Yep, It's being worked on!
https://www.ign.com/articles/skyrim-mod-uses-chatgpt-and-other-ai-tools-to-give-npcs-a-memory-and-endless-things-to-say
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wCjosz1vOA

It actually seems to be working quite well for what is basically a proof of concept. Seems to have been trained on a decent bit of skyrims text, as well as a bit of in game data in the prompts like time of day, and what the character your talking to is doing.

The one obvious issue is that -even ignoring the robotic voice to speech - the characters all sounds pretty similar in what they say.

Although that was sort of Skyrim dialogue anyway.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 12, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sky Shadowing posted:

Which, if right, means the Microsoft acquisition was probably the best thing to happen to BGS.

While certainly not a fan of large multinational just buying up everything, from what I know about Zenimax they sound garbage as hell.

Most of the large publishers sound pretty garbage to be honest. EA/Activation/Ubisoft looking at you.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bad Purchase posted:

when you really stop and consider it, the wonder is not that the time between each frame is so vast, it’s that we’ve measured it

Scientists found if you don't measure frames and collapse their superposition they can be anywhere and you mostly just end up looking at a blank screen.

This is what most ghosts are, random frames from video games appearing all about the place because someone had the sheer hubris to play a game without displaying their frame rate on screen.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Songbearer posted:

Please honey. Daddy just wants to see his animation so he can work on it. Honey, please. Stop

That cat looks like it knows things. I'd listen to it. Your computers probably demonically possessed or something.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Deki posted:

Bethesda mainline games are wildly profitable, right?

Seems dumb to strangle the golden goose because your other studios/properties are struggling.

Skyrim sold about 60 million copies making it the 7th most purchased game of all time. Fallout 4 numbers are vaguer, but more than 20 million seems to be the best guess.

And yeah killing your golden goose for a quick buck is stupid as hell, but it is something many companies do. Particular if there financially struggling or they just got new management.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Aphex- posted:

Zelda TOTK running between 20-30 fps at sub 1080p - GOTY
Starfield running at 30 fps - absolute trash what the gently caress

The Legend of Zelda running on NES emulation 3000 FPS at 240P never a better game in existence!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I don't think Bethesda faces are supposed to be realistic, even if they keep adding more things that can be tweaked.

They should just lean into it and go full claymation for their characters.