Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

dr_rat posted:

So a lot of Witcher was automated like Bethesda games, but seems the system they used allowed more tailoring, there's an article about it here: https://www.pcgamer.com/most-of-the-witcher-3s-dialogue-scenes-was-animated-by-an-algorithm/ Where is in creation kit, seems you set an animation for the character, than you set an emotion and strength of that emotion (between 1-100) for each line of dialogue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQMkVcekHUk&t=426s

So Yeah looks like even though they both were pretty automated Witcher 3 engine allowed for more tailoring of the process. Although I'm sure there are probably hacky was in Creation Kit to do in line emotion changes and what not, it doesn't look like it's as easy to do by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

you have to understand. VIdeogames have to be like art. gently caress all that poo poo about NPCs actually having schedules that they go on without you. I need good writing (things that I can reference and feel smart about).

this, unironically

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I played this for an hour far and tbh I enjoyed Outer Worlds' first hour more.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omnicarus posted:

If you had to pick between Starfield or BG3, which?

BG3BG3BG3

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ostrava posted:

I declined to spend 30$ to beta test for Bethesda so I haven't played yet.

From reading press reviews and then reading comments from players it really seems like the press drank the coolaid here. What do ya'll think the steam reviews will be once it's "Released"?

I'm smelling something between Mixed to Mostly Positive. I don't get the vibe that the "It's better than Skyrim! OMG!" narrative is true. I'm expecting to have fun with a predictable Bethesda RPG that's not really breaking the mold at all.

Well, most of the reviews seem to mention that the first dozen of hours are pretty slow and it gets more fun after that. Everyone here is currently slogging through that opening stretch. Maybe it does get more fun. (Or the Stockholm Syndrome kicks in.)

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

So, is the exploration and atmosphere in this game pretty good? As good as Skyrim/Fallout/whatever other Beth game? Because I played about an hour last night and honestly was disappointed in it. The very opening was cool, I'm a sucker for an alien mystery even if it's a super common trope. But then like someone said, the narrative got incredibly awful with the "here take my ship person I just met" and then I was forced into dogfighting which I also hated. I may just have a dumb take here, but I also thing the general menus and aesthetic is the laziest looking poo poo I've seen in a while, it's so ugly.

I have a few minutes left before the 2 hour mark so I need to decide if I want to return it. If it gets passably decent with the alien story stuff and the typical Bethesda exploration I think I could still enjoy it enough, but that first hour made a bad impression.

It sounds like you should probably refund it and grab it way later at a discount, tbh.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Barreft posted:

They need to make a new engine so badly. ES6 is not going to run on this garbage right?

You know it will. In 2030.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

Surely you can't add the parents trait?

So if you do pick the trait at chargen, it sends you to their apartment in the Residential district. They're chilling there. If you talk to dad you can actually remove the trait by telling them "uhhhh, I don't actually want to support you anymore".

If you can add the trait at all after start, I suspect it's gonna be you showing up in that apartment and talking to them about it, telling them you're here to support them again. I can't be bothered to test this.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

When playing I was wondering why the humans all have distinct races and accents 300 years from now, I was hoping they would all be a "hairless uniform mix of all races" like South Park future humans.

accents are fun

this is both the watsonian and doylist explanation

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Starfield was also what exploded his neighbour's PC.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Perfect Potato posted:

I said hello to a UC guard while digging up iron so a mining chief can scam his superiors and they arrested me because I had a 16 credit bounty for no reason I can possibly discern so now I'm a space narc I guess

they planted some poo poo on you, ASCAB

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A lot of the dialogue has that ChatGPT feel to it, tbh.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Phoix posted:

Just based on the way Bethesda has traditionally done patches I wouldn't expect anything until next month. Day one patch into monthly-ish patches for a few months is their standard and the day one patch came with early access

Oof. Although, I suspect with amount of displeasure online with some technical aspects like underutilization of Nvidia hardware, etc, I think they can't really afford to be that lackadaisical about it.

Here's what the Fallout 76 patching looked like:

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_76_patches

Not quite once-a-month, innit.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 5, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I realized what New Atlantis reminded me of. It feels like a Second Life map.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There will probably be a mod in like a week to set your save to NG++ 50+.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

TwoDice posted:

you aren't legally required to loot everything that isn't nailed down you know

calm down sarah

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/cwgabriel/status/1699448207443669291

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

esquilax posted:

Has anyone had issues with the game freezing for a few seconds every minute or so? And successfully fixed it?

Google shows a lot of posts on reddit who are having that and claiming that things like changing process priority, and reinstalling, partially fix it, but none of that seems to work for me.

My computer is at / slightly below minimum specs, but am trying to run through the issues before I spend hundreds on upgrading my system. The game runs fine other than the periodic freezing, but that makes it pretty unplayable.

I have this as well. If you don't have it on a decent SDD, try that. If that doesn't work, then ultimately, your CPU (and mine) needs an upgrade.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

William Bear posted:

A writer for PC Gamer wrecked his marriage to Andreja by throwing a grenade into a crowd of civilians.

I managed to avoid murdering people, but I had to unequip my grenade slot because I keep tossing them when I want to turn on the scanner.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Let's be real here, Wyll has done way more Crime in his life than any of these losers.

I hate to say this, but Wyll is actually kinda cool compared to them.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

The game needs an 'infinite stamina when outside combat' mod. Anyone has seen something like that?

There's a magic power for it apparently.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

I've read all over the place that something happens after 10-12 hours that makes this game good. I don't care about spoilers but what is it?

I've played for six hours and haven't gotten any pleasure or enjoyment out of it. The game is fine, I guess, but I feel like I'm pissing away hours I could be using to do something else.

That's when the stockholm syndrome kicks in.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

FeculentWizardTits posted:

The decision to dole out side quests like this is totally baffling to me. I was putzing around New Atlantis and some random cop blurts out "There's a sad looking scientist over by that tree. I wonder what he's so bummed about!" and suddenly I get a quest to talk to the scientist. Why should I give a poo poo about this mopey scientist? Why does the cop care? Why is the cop farming it out to me, a person he's never met who wasn't talking to him?

It's incredibly lazy, but what's worse is that it destroys any sense of immersion. You might've thought you were playing a significant part in a living, reactive world, but no, you're universally recognized as The Main Character and you cannot walk down the street without having quests literally forced upon you.

To be honest, it's still preferable to "you have to actually talk to every single person in every single port, outpost and station to get these rinky-dinky sidequests".

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Starfield 2 (released in 2043, still using Gamebryo) will have a terrormorph companion slash potential romantic interest.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah, releasing this right after BG3 blew out the curve hasn't been great.

BG3 moved their release date (and, it's heavily suspected, cut out a chunk of content at the last minute to do so) ahead by a month to do this. Pretty funny, tbh.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RandomBlue posted:

Really looking forward to what people do to this game with mods.

Basic QoL poo poo I want:

Eat food from world.
Different colors for different types of items when scanning.
Open doors when scanner is on wtf
a horse a scooter of some kind for getting over barren landscapes to POIs
Send to ship/mark to be hauled to ship when you leave.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

twit666 posted:

This game makes me want to puke. Are there any settings that reduce nausea?

Try to edit the FOV to 90-100. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/starfield-fov-change

If that's not enough mmmmmmmaybe try this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/807

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Soggy Muffin posted:

My wife comes back after spending vacation with her friends that I paid for and she divorces me! gently caress this game

seems legit

sorry todd did this to you

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Peachfart posted:

The Outer Worlds was far worse than Starfield.

People keep overcorrecting on the initial hype it got and saying it's the RPG Hitler, but in the end it was just aggressively mid. Like, a very weak 8. I like it more than SF so far in many aspects. The aesthetic was a lot more interesting . The companions weren't mindblowing by RPG standards, but they were somewhat better than SF's. Dialogue was often better. The world scale they chose ultimately worked better than SF's thousand procgen wastelands.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

+1000% weapon shake

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
NCR circa Fallout 2 has a population of ~700,000 and about ~70 NPCs if you want to round the number in a convenient way. You can use that conclude that a single NPC represents about 10k population in this type of game!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Captain Beans posted:

How is it that witcher 3, which released 8 years ago, still absolutely crushes everything in the npc conversations department? I’m talking the whole system - actual dialogue writing, the camera placement, npc facial expressions, body movements, speech volume balance/mixing, just everything.

I realize writing and voice actor delivery is hard, so I’ll excuse that since poor plucky Indi dev Bethesda just can’t get that right. But for gods sake introduce some type of dynamic camera work for these conversations beyond just NPC FACE CENTER SCREEN.

Panzeh posted:

Well, that's in keeping with the first person perspective with these games.

CDP also discarded their whole third person dialogue tech to do first person in CP2077 just because they thought it would be a cool technical challenge and while CP2077 is also a flawed game like SF, the first person conversations in it were better from tech POV than anything Bethesda ever did.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

First patch is out:

- Various stability and performance improvements to reduce crashes and improve framerate.

Any actual difference in performance on Nvidia?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/starfield-zero-punctuation/

It's about what you'd expect.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/SynthPotato/status/1701899475218747814

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ostrava posted:

That fan dlss guy is probably a wonk rendering engineer who routinely does casual matrix calculations in their head.

Yeah, and maybe they should have hired someone like that for their game that features rendering, lol.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sumerian Telecom posted:

The entire worldbuilding is so unbelievably lame. It's like not a single cool person works at Bethesda. Space snake god? Cowboy hat town? Everything is so golly gee wilikers.

quote:

I used to have this thing with Todd, because he was one of the ones that’s like, “Let’s not make it too weird.” So I’d bamboozle him. There was a period where I would actually draw two different versions of a monster — the one that was weird and that I wanted to be in the game, and then one that was loving crazy. And so I’d go to Todd, and I’m like, “OK, I think I’ve got the mid-level creature set.” And I’d show him a picture. He’d be like, “Nah, dude, that’s crazy.” Then I’d go back to my office and I would act like I was drawing something new, and I’d just come back with the original drawing of what I really wanted to be in there. Like, “Hey, is this what you were thinking?” And he’d be all, “Oh, yeah, that’s much better. That’s great.”

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

tracecomplete posted:

Starfield got me to finally go play Skyrim Special Edition and I nearly jumped out of my skin when I remembered that this is how skills worked (because I haven't really played Skyrim since release, I went back to FO3 and FONV a few times though). It's so good.

If any of you haven't tried the Ordinator mod for Skyrim that reworks the perk trees, I recommend it. It's really fun for the second playthrough.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

TeenageArchipelago posted:

From what I've read looking it up Andreja still tries converting you to space snakeism even if you already worship the space snake

She is Northern Conservative Va'ruun Great Lakes Region Council of 2279, while you're Northern Conservative Va'ruun Great Lakes Region Council of 2312, which means you're basically a worthless heretic.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Ah, so standard post-Christian Reformation period nonsense, except with a cooler mascot. Gotcha!

yes that's the joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

FistEnergy posted:

somehow I missed the news that Space Fallout/Skyrim was being made and released. I'm now very excited!

everyone in this thread hateplays it lol