Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Grouchio posted:

Have you been this pessimistic since Biden took office?

Unless the Democrats pull some amazing 180-degree turnaround bullshit out of their asses, Biden's presidency is going to be Jimmy Carter all over again, but even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Scromiting is actually when you tape your nutsack into a jug full of thc tincture and wear it for a week; the ball sweat combines with the thc and when you huff it you go insane, and all the tik tok tweens are pushing it on your innocent children

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is forcing the railway companies to negotiate with the unions. It is something the unions actually want. There has been no new contract for years because they haven't accepted a new collective bargaining agreement.

It's essentially a weird semi-outdated part of U.S. railway law from when railways were much more important for cargo transportation. Congress can also mandate that the railway companies accept a union contract, which is another weird quirk of the law that only applies to train companies.

A lot of companies out there will just not show up to the bargaining table at all, let alone show up with good faith negotiations. You end up with union members working under an expired contract with outdated terms, frozen wages, and essentially little to none of the job protection that a valid contract gives you. I don't know if it's the best option but forced arbitration has become a reasonable option for unions struggling with lovely companies who won't show. In my anecdotal experience the contracts that come out of it are generally at least acceptable/not terrible and it actually forces them to happen, which is a good thing.

Tbh it can also help unions dodge the fallout from having to go on strike. Strike pay doesn't have poo poo on an actual full-time union paycheck, and strikes cause a whole lot of personal & intrapersonal stress; it's not a cool, easy noble thing to just do. IIRC the main issue with the railroad workers was the expired contract, so if these actions are actually forcing arbitration as I described it may not be a bad thing for the union.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

This whole argument is also ignoring that school closures were heavily about not having Covid just go nuts spreading through schools, because those kids with "mild" cases would go home and give very not mild cases to their family. Slow the spread and all that.

It did also reveal how few community options there are for much of the country and how libraries, churches and schools are carrying the weight of what's left of our social support structure. But nobody apparently wanted to do anything to help with that so...:shrug:

I don't think parents were mad that schools were closing to protect their kids from COVID, I think many are mad because they got practically no support during any of it and were stuck with an insane poo poo soup of trying to help their kids learn from home while still being expected to work their own jobs, trying to help their kids socialize safely during a time when it's absolutely critical for normal human development, and what seemed to be a complete failure of many schools to handle any of the pandemic with foresight or clarity.

Parents had zero good choices and no stability whatsoever since the vaccine was not available for children and since schools were absolutely garbage about getting clear pandemic procedures set up. Send your kid to school and hope they don't get COVID or keep your kid home & home they don't end up with a bunch of developmental deficiencies, hmm. If I had kids I'd be loving pissed, too.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Does anyone know what the causes of the staffing shortage are and if it's feasible to scale up hires in a timely basis given the skilled labor pool?

If it’s anything like stationary/operating engineers, and to some extent maritime engineers (tho foreign flag stuff kinda affects that I think?) they’re in the middle of a giant retirement wave and don’t have anywhere near enough people entering the trade to replace them, or even have the training capacity if they did.

Good operating engineers of any stripe need a decent amount of both practical and theoretical expertise, and these days need some programming experience as well, and it’s not too easy to find people who can do all that.

Also blue-collar work culture is loving toxic, so just slapping college engineering grads into spots doesn’t really work

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 14, 2022

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

thechosenone posted:

I mean I wouldn't be surprised if you could put people through a boot camp to teach them how to do it well enough for a usual work day, but that would open up a whole can of worms on its own if you ever applied it more widely (like you can probably get people started in like six to twelve months in a lot of stuff and then just guide them through with a more experienced worker until they're ready to do things more independently).

Can't admit that actually everyone has roughly the same ability to do any real job and it's just a matter of if they receive support to do it and to be given work to do rather than some ephemeral method of deciding worth (that's just did your uncle give you the job) that's supposed to decide if you deserve to live or not.

If you're talking about the train stuff, uhhhh, no, you definitely can't just shove people through boot camp for a "usual work day" when the consequences of loving up that work day could be catastrophic. If some dude smashes a box truck up because he forgets that braking under load takes time or that he has 15' of truck he needs to fit under stuff he maybe kills or hurts a few people, snarls up traffic for a couple hours, relatively little poo poo. loving up with a whole train full of hazmat and god knows what else is not quite the same. It's absolutely on the companies for overworking & understaffing their employees instead of hiring & training more engineers. There is no easy fix to avoid that.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

only one of the dozen unions involved has actually voted to authorize a strike (although if one strikes they all strike really) and that union's said that it won't strike prior to the 29th to give time for negotiators to reach a deal. At the moment it's just a pressure move. Very frankly I think both sides are expecting this to end up with lawmakers intervening and want that to happen because they both think they'll end up with a more favorable contract than they would via negotiation.

It needs to be made abundantly clear that until now there hasn’t actually been any negotiation because prior to the 60-day cooling off period & stuff the frieght cos refused to negotiate with the unions. Unions that have been working on expired contracts and terms that are entirely outside of previously negotiated contracts. This is not a “both sides” issue whatsoever.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

evilweasel posted:

this doesn't seem like a thing where you have to suspend cases at DHS

it's a case where you arrest DHS agents

¿Por que no los dos?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

evilweasel posted:

well if they're asylum applicants, you want to process their cases so they can get permanent asylum and eventually a green card

Absolutely, just hoping that immigration lawyers can use this to get favorable decisions/stays/etc for their clients and that some people get, at the very least, fired with a vengeance

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Velocity Raptor posted:

MA should fully honor everything in that brochure, and then make FL pay for it. I know neither is going to happen, sadly. But it'd be one hell of a power play.

CA cities have sued & won or settled when cities in other states gave homeless & mentally ill patients one-way bus tickets to San Francisco, LA, etc. Even if you ignore all the blatantly illegal stuff about the immigrant stunt, there's precedent for making FL pay for it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Yep, that's the one

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I wonder if the shift to WFH isn't disproportionally hitting NYC, given how many people commute in from adjacent states, even, and given just how much extra local economic activity a full office building generates.

edit: exactly as ew said.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Yeah I'd assume that it would be pretty easy to meet the plane on the tarmac with a few federal agents and arrest anyone immediately responsible for hauling immigrants around illegally

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Phenotype posted:

Why are they trying to keep the waters murky regarding declassification? If he's gonna say it's fine that he had them because they were all declassified, then how does it hurt him to say that now? I've heard people online saying "well, if he says these 10 documents were declassified, then he's admitting the others weren't" but why can't he just say "yeah they're all declassified"?
because it leads directly to stuff like lawyers accidentally committing perjury and ends up incriminating their client even more. The only thing more clarity does is make it abundantly plain that everything Trump was doing was illegal on every level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Rebel Blob posted:

The Space Force has released its official song, "Semper Supra."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSV3Q4ztGaA

To be fair the original/2nd gen Supras looked pretty sweet