Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

HonorableTB posted:

Remember in late 2015 and 2016 throughout the GOP primary? There was a popular series of videos called "You can't stump the Trump", that relied heavily on memes and used Krewella's song "Centipede" to help glue together a pro-Trump chud identity. They called him and each other nimble navigators, "pedes", those videos were a rallying point for the terminally online chud faithful and it helped create a community of proto-brownshirts where there wasn't one before.

I remember coming across those when they were first coming out and I thought they were hilarious - but I thought they were legit making fun of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Looks like the cops killed the FBI shooter.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

I like the result, but couldn't that line of thinking be used to strike down any law passed before 1965, like the New Deal?

Hope Roberts isn't reading the thread.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

CNN finally confirming the reporting on the "bonus" forgiveness for people with Pell Grants or low-income FAFSA aid.

They also give a figure: It's $20,000 forgiven that group. $10k baseline + a "bonus" $10k.

CNN source doesn't say if there is any other qualifying group outside of Pell Grants or FAFSA low-income aid. Some other reporting said there would be other "subsections of the population" included, but never specified.

https://twitter.com/lbarronlopez/status/1562442752289574912

Pell grant thing would get rid of all ours.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Gadfly posted:

I'm completely shocked Biden is going forward to forgiving student loan debt. I didn't think he'd have the balls to do it. He's definitely got my vote for 2024.

EDIT: LOL FoxNews right on brand

lol the NAACP slammed him for not forgiving more.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

so reading this, it sounds like this debt forgiveness applies to graduate and undergraduate loans, from public and from private universities? Or should we wait until the actual announcement/speech?

Seeing as though they specifically call out undergraduate loans for the income cap but don't mention a difference anywhere else I think it doesn't matter.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Panzeh posted:

I got my student loan debt cleared, i'm pretty happy about that.

Same.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
DOE is saying they have info on 8 million borrowers who they can automatically just do that cancelation for, is there any info on what makes you that 8 million in comparison to everyone else who is going to need to fill out the online form in a few weeks?

Jaxyon posted:

Unsurprisingly, this website is currently getting absolutely crushed

It's an incredibly slow site even on a normal day.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Incase you've been making payments at all during the pause and are under the 10k-20k threshold, ask for the money to be refunded to you.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/25/how-to-get-a-student-loan-refund-and-boost-forgiveness-eligibility.html

quote:

How to request a refund

To request a refund on any of those payments made since March 13, 2020, borrowers should contact their loan servicer, the Education Department said.

“It couldn’t be easier,” Mayotte said. “Just call.”

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

St. Dogbert posted:

This railway thing seems like a massive own goal for the Dems, just as things were starting to look up for the midterms. The red wave just might be back on the table.

The Dems have no way of forcing the companies to make concessions? Their power is to force the workers to just sit down and shut up, a power they are choosing to not use because it would be wrong.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

evilweasel posted:

they literally just made the companies make concessions

They were present while both parties were talking to each other but what did Biden do to force the companies to change their position besides talking about the issues and trying to convince them to change? Convincing CEO's is different than Congress forcing workers to go on the job or face legal reprisals. I'm not aware of Biden doing anything or being able to do anything else here.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

evilweasel posted:

i would think you would have asked that before confidently asserting something based on a lack of knowledge.

the most consequential thing, aside from the months of effort and personal lobbying by biden on the scheduling demand at the end, was this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/14/us/politics/rail-strike-biden.html

which cut out a big company threat (accept, or we'll just make congress make you accept) and weakened the company's leverage in these negotiations (and their ability to believe calling the union's bluff would be a good idea)

I was aware of this? Why exactly are you complaining about Biden then? He's done all he can by not forcing workers to do what the companies want? The Democrats are doing a good job not bowing to corporate pressure here that will damage their electoral chances.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Ahh, I think I misread your post. My apologies.

It's fine. I think I'm confused what is going on in the thread right now honestly. I think everyone agrees the companies suck and the workers are in the right to strike if needed.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Do you rent?

Rental increases are pants making GBS threads high right now all over the country.

The Fed can't really help this as rate increases reduce new house builds which leads to more people being pushed to rent which keeps rentals increasing in price - it's a really bad cycle that needs a bunch of government intervention to control, the Fed really can't solve this itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Zotix posted:

I got a survey today from my apartment complex as I'll be coming up on my lease ending soon. My rent started at $1700, is now $2050, and I'd imagine would be $2250ish next lease. poo poo fuckin rocks.

It is insane and happening all over the country. My wife and I are going to be moving in a few months and we've been looking at apartment complexes and I've observed prices go up $150 in one complex over the past month and another has gone up $600.