Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

IT BURNS posted:

It's the American way of life; sheer outrage at anything that causes you a minor inconvenience.
You'd think they'd be either:
a) Happy to have the day off.
b) Pissed that their employer is not giving them the day off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

https://twitter.com/shaneharris/status/1540035794160730113

If you or a family member has been exposed to communist death rays, you may be entitled to compensation.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Automata 10 Pack posted:

indeed, i think a big critical flaw we had was underestimating the republicans.
Modern liberalism as an ideology is very poor at analyzing power (and human motivations in general). This is something that comes as second nature to most people in terms of interpersonal relations. However, liberalism is predicated on minimizing these messy considerations (with mainstream economics being the best example). This works ok in stable times, but is a surefire way to lose against fascism in times like these.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

https://twitter.com/GravelInstitute/status/1540347369111392256

The first instinct of Pelosi is to send out fundraiser emails asking for $15. They can't keep pulling this schtick forever and expect people to :justvote:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Tbf the system absolutely does work. The system we're living in is working incredibly well today. It's just not actually a system for things like enacting popular opinion or protecting human rights, unfortunately
It's really that easy. The proof is that the most powerful are doing quite well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_purpose_of_a_system_is_what_it_does

Many people ITT would do well to get a brief familiarity with systems thinking, or even (horror horrors) materialist analysis. As I said earlier, liberal ideology abstracts very real human motivations and power dynamics to the point where they aren't even there, and just become subsumed under an assumption that all participants follow certain norms and rules - and this provides cover for their own ineffectiveness. Fascism does not do this: as an ideology, it is keenly aware of power, and driven by it.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Main Paineframe posted:

I thought I was fairly clear in my statement that passing laws against abortion bans wasn't seen as a particularly pressing matter when it was already legal to ban abortion. It's not like this is unique to the Dems, either. Leftist politicians like Bernie Sanders weren't exactly making codifying Roe their top priority; hell, they hardly mentioned it until Trump put a conservative majority on the Supreme Court.
What is that other than stunning political incompetence? Everyone saw this coming long ago.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Flying-PCP posted:

"Leaders of 400 million people" isn't a tenable concept, and isn't a job that should exist in the first place.
and prolonging the time these nitwits suck up all the non-fascist oxygen in this country isn't going to fix that - except maybe by accelerating the collapse and balkanization of this country. Then we'd only have leaders of fiefdoms.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Flying-PCP posted:

I mean they're especially bad at what they're supposed to be doing, I'm just not convinced it's a job that any human being could actually be qualified for.
Oh sure, I agree. Sorry, misunderstood your post.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Twincityhacker posted:

This is flat out "lay down and rot" talk. gently caress that, a better world is possible.

And it's not like "acting locally" and "voting in elections" are mutually exclusive activities.
No it is not. It is an argument to put your limited resources to useful ends instead of supporting an unjust system.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

shades of eternity posted:

if we don't put the effort in, the next election won't matter.

and doesn't change the facts no matter what anybody else says.,
Kind of useless if the people we vote for don't put the effort in. You're going to have to try a little harder than the most basic centrist twitter cliches.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

So your going to play sad songs about the death of kings while you are goose stepped in submission?

sounds counterproductive to what you actually want.
Buddy, I've got some bad news if you think you aren't being goose-stepped into submission blindly supporting Dems.

You may want to read up on the history of the Weimar Republic to see how a similar situation played out in the past.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Twincityhacker posted:

...people do realize here that electoral politics is the lovely alterntive to "lots of people being imprisoned and/or shot" right?
We still have concentration camps for immigrants. Police still arbitrarily kill, harass, and detain minorities. There is no effective right to protest. This is happening now, and Biden has done gently caress-all to help the situation, and instead has actively co-opted thwarted the progress of people trying to help.

apparently, they haven't. ;)

and yes I've read my history, that's why I'm going to metaphorically fight.
The point is that fighting electorally for a dying, sclerotic liberal system against fascism is something that doesn't work great. Hitler was voted in to power. The liberals consistently appeased and gave ground, punched left, and constantly hit the :decorum: button, much like the Dems do today.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

bad news, too late. your metaphorical fighting has resulted in you far more materially supporting concentration camps for Mexican children, bodily dragged into cages by gun-toting officials of a democratic government.

remember those, they were bad back when Republicans were running them, and they're still running at full capacity under the Dems

pointing guns at minorities to preserve the country's racial purity is currently democratic policy you are (possibly unhappily) endorsing with your vote. the fight has started. the question is how many more people need to be brutalized before someone you give a poo poo about gets affected.
I'm not inferring anything about this poster, but these takes seem to be very common with economically comfortable liberals. They don't see the oppression of our system, but instead see Trump et al being rude on Twitter or whatever. When that's your main reference frame, you assume voting significantly helps the actual oppression because you don't see the Republicans stupid faces as much.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Bar Ran Dun posted:

“Ain’t got it in them” the parents of the WWII generation talking about their children in “And keep your powder dry”
Yeah this is said about literally every generation. Today's no-good teens could never do effective action.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

https://twitter.com/joeyneverjoe/status/1540853685277691904

This is a great example of why people are disillusioned with Dems. They have been tripping over themselves to fund the fascist goons more and more. I think I can say at this point that I will not vote in 2022. It's not the lesser of two evils, because electoralism in this sham democracy sucks out space from other mass political alternatives.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

CommieGIR posted:

You were never going to vote in the first place, Cat Botherer.
I held my nose and voted in 2020, and I was probably wasn't going to in 2022, but now that's a definite. I have a tendency to break down and vote at the last second because of my conditioning, but I think that's over with.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

CommieGIR posted:

As of Jan 11th 2022, Cat Botherer already stated they had no intentions of voting in another American Election.

If you are in a Blue state, vote. If you are in a red state, I get it. But if you sincerely believe its worthless, go waste your vote and ensure your state at least remains blue. At least keep the suffering down where you are as much as possible.
I will continue to vote in local races for school boards etc, but I can't really justify supporting national dems.

e: The issue is that every vote is a vote for the system. It's what the GOP wants and what the Dems want. Revolutionary movements are all anti-electoral for a reason. Besides, democracy is essentially toast at this point. The GOP has won this system, and the Dems are a mildly unwilling but controlled opposition party.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 26, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

CommieGIR posted:

I'm sure the minority party thanks you. And not to give the Dems any credit, they deserve none, but given that electoralism will remain how the GOP continues to build power until they strip away our right to vote: I don't see you have any alternative than supporting the lovely party.

And frankly, given that the GOP is already stripping and destroying stuff like School Boards, you are furthering their goals by doing so.
I think there are arguments on both sides here, but their validity hinges on the perception of where our system is in its breakdown. If you think this is salvageable, vote. If you don't think it is salvageable, its best to work towards a completely alternate system. In my view, it's pretty much a lost cause already, because there is no reasonable electoral path for a Dem majority that would take decisive action instead of continuing to call people like Cornyn "reasonable," continuing to put immigrants in concentration camps, and continuing to support fascist police.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

CommieGIR posted:

I'd argue you also did the same thing and are unwilling to acknowledge that its fairly effortless to vote AND also prepare for a revolution. If you are unwilling to take 10 minutes to go do something that simple, how exactly do you plan to put the effort into a major reovlution? Or even plan for a post-revolutionary society?
It's not the issue of taking 10 minutes - I already spend a lot more than that doing other social work. It's that it can become counterproductive, in that it is support for an unjust system. Low voter turnout largely happens because people check out when they see nobody helping them. However, there are other reasons for not doing so. We aren't at a point where revolution could happen, but if fixing this system is impossible, I'd rather avoid perpetuating it. We have climate change and ecological collapse staring down at us, so I'd like to get a system in that can address these problems rather than have another 20 years of this, at which point the system collapses anyway and there is little hope anywhere.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

To be clear, I am not a current revolutionary, and I don’t think revolution/balkanization is possible yet. But things are changing faster than I thought possible 2 years ago. We are in the decaying garbage period of poo poo common to all late empires. You never pull out of the decline at this stage. It will fall. I don’t know what will happen, but the current system is disastrous to the future of advanced civilization and I don’t want to prolong it.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Ravenfood posted:

Of the people who dont vote, I feel like the vast majority do not from a combination of apathy and institutional roadblocks and a very small percentage of them do not from some kind of principled desire to avoid supporting a system they feel is unjust. The latter group may not vote and participate in a revolution. I feel, without data, that a person who is too apathetic to vote or too burdened by institutional roadblocks is unlikely to join a revolution, especially at the outset. Some might, but it feels like a very small number.
Revolutions are always lead by a relatively small number. However, a revolution offering a real improvement over people's lives can quickly gain significant popular support over a system with no interest in doing that - they can and have been successful at capturing the formerly apathetic, even if the vast majority is soft support. See the Chinese revolution, Vietnam, or the Bolsheviks.

At times like this, the priors of our American experience and upbringing become inaccurate, and its more important to look at history for examples.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Madkal posted:

Well you see both sides are fascists so that is why there is no difference between AOC and Cruz. I don't know why no one outside of a dead forum will talk to me.
Most people I know in real life really don't care, and just see them all as corrupt shitheads. They generally aren't especially aware of the fascisms happening in the US (at least in terms of being too distant to be visceral). AOC is not a fascist, but she does support them by throwing in her lot with Pelosi - twitter posts don't counteract this support.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

speng31b posted:

This only makes sense if you genuinely believe Democrats are significantly less fascist. If you take their agenda at face value of course they are, but that's not the lived experience of many Americans.
It only makes sense if you believe that, but also that they will fight effectively enough to put their much less fascist policy in power (doesn't look great!).

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

ozmunkeh posted:

To be fair those are less "big political thoughts" and more "old white woman thoughts".
But for absolutely mystifying reasons, people take this old white woman's political opinions very seriously.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Kalit posted:

....how is that different than any other [more than one term] ex-politician? Politicians and ex-politicians in our country get listened to/reported on more than random people, I don't see how this specific instance is "mystifying"...
It's mystifying because she is an incredibly bad politician, and there seems to be some boosting of her recently. There may have been a whiff of humor in that post as well.

e:

DarkCrawler posted:

What people? Literally nobody gives a poo poo about Hillary than rich people who just want to say they met her because she is famous, conservatives who think she's the devil and leftists who think she's the devil and none of those take her political opinions seriously.
Plenty of Dem lobbyists and consultants still love her. Yeah, nobody else genuinely likes her, but its not great she hasn't been completely cut loose. (I don't think she'll run in '24 that's a bridge too far)

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 27, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

DarkCrawler posted:

They love her because she's great at turning out money and they're interested in making money.(seeing as they are lobbyists and consultants) not because they see her as an amazing visionary.
That's definitely part of it, but it's also just how remote regular people are to them. I think its probably financial advantage + some level of self delusion (everybody rationalizes doing bad things to some extent).

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Rigel posted:

I came up with two possible interpretations, both of them bad. Either "eh no reason to go through a lot of work and effort on this because if we win a resounding victory then we just vote our rights back into place in congress." Or possibly, "uhhh, lets calm down the rhetoric about Biden taking bold action, that might hurt some Senate races. We'll do stuff later, trust me". Even if either explanation is true, you don't loving say that out loud where people can write it down and report it.
Real talk: what would it take for Pelosi to lose her speaker (soon minority leader) status? I can’t imagine anybody but the DCCist of the DCC think she’s doing great.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Yeah, screw those dumb hick losers who weren't born in the right place. Good thing they are all chuds and never have LGBT kids or daughters who need abortions.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

DarkCrawler posted:

Again, stop letting the minority make decisions for the majority, maybe those kids could move. Go to free university. Democrats, the left, whoever. Start campaigning on something else than bringing the country together when a good 30-40 percent wants the rest of the country to suffer.
Hey 16 year old trans kid in Texas, why don't you just move to NY or LA or go to free university, you fucken idiot.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

DarkCrawler posted:

And again, unless you can point out why someone is "ignorant" beyond being foreign, you're just using the same excuse as a Trump supporter.
:ironicat:

Try replacing "foreign" with "from Arkansas" and see how that sounds.

quote:

Something the majority of Americans seem to want. Maybe if they could actually decide without what is an obvious tyranny of minority.
So what does that have to do with telling everyone from not the right places to go gently caress themselves?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

DarkCrawler posted:

No?

...did I say all Americans are fascists, now?
So what's the actual argument you are making? It seems like you've pretty much nerfed all the arguments for what people thought you were talking about.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

DarkCrawler posted:

If I quote the original argument to "nerf" the original argument, maybe people didn't read the original argument?
Everyone did, but its wildly incoherent.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

EugeneDebsWasCool posted:

Whatever happened to Huey Long anyway?
He became a very important lesson about the need for leftist leaders to pay attention to their personal security.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The part where you actually seize power, like what trump tried, and failed at. Then you have to hold onto power during the constitutional crisis and during whatever unrest is ongoing and that doesn't even get into the wildcard of american security institutions which are generally invested in elections mattering. Past a certain point it's all clancychat, but yes they have by far the hardest part still ahead of them
They're seizing the power right now, its just the boring way of doing it with courts instead of insane idiots dressed up as vikings. The ability of the feds to regulate state voting laws is gone, etc.

No empire ever pulls out of these terminal declines.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Again, they have not accomplished it yet.

Also it took rome something like 800 years to actually collapse after it's decline seriously set in.
No it didn't lol, unless you count the Byzantine empire. Things also happen rather fast nowadays compared to premodern times.

e: But this is exactly what I was talking about. The Western empire was slowly cored out by internal discord and the settling and military use of barbarian foederati. Slowly, they became more powerful, and their interests wound up aligning with major land magnates. The Emperor became less and less relevant, morphing into a figurehead with the usually Germanic magister militum having true control, but with local strongmen becoming more powerful as well, with the empire being less able to exercise central control.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 30, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

It's still ~400 if you go with just the western roman empire.

look I just want to wear sandals, okay?
But this is exactly what I was talking about.

You may have a point with the crisis of the third century, but Rome did not suffer any major barbarian incursions until Marcus Aurelius in the late second century, but these never posed a serious threat, and the Roman military could suppress them no problem. The Crisis was ongoing civil wars and internal discord, but Aurelian and Diocletian reorganized the government into the autocratic Dominate. The Late Empire, after the Crisis, was stable, with Rome very much having the upper hand until the very tail end of the 4th century.

After that, the Western empire was slowly cored out by internal discord and the settling and military use of barbarian foederati. Slowly, they became more powerful, and their interests wound up aligning with major land magnates. The Emperor became less and less relevant, morphing into a figurehead with the usually Germanic magister militum having true control, but with local strongmen becoming more powerful as well, with the empire being less able to exercise central control.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

snorch posted:

These people are nuts for Ben Shapiro, rhetorical parlour tricks work.
They only work if they already agree with you. You don't reach fascists or even many non-voters with reasoned arguments.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Discendo Vox posted:

Just because something is complex doesn’t mean the appropriate response is to dismiss it and assume the worst outcome.
I think the probed poster's point was that it doesn't necessarily matter if it causes inconsistencies with the nuanced case law in this area - that doesn't appear to matter that much to the current court, because some of their new decisions are already bizarre and inconsistent, and instead appear to be post hoc justifications of their personal prejudices.

I used bigger words please don't probe me koos

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Cimber posted:

You mean...politicing and horse trading to get what you want? Giving away something of little value to get something of greater value? Working the system?

How dare Biden do that.
Don't worry, Biden would never give something to the Republicans and get something back of greater value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Keyser_Soze posted:

Pete is a centrist cyborg but is at least "electable" and could win against the fundy fascist chuds and can also discuss things without drooling all over himself or screaming and farting like Dumb Donnie.

Meanwhile, we all wait for the "magical internet marxist to unite us all" currently serving (undercover of course) on a school board in Cleveland to finally work their way up to national politics.

..........and yeah, Bernie remains the most coherent over 80 year old around and shrugged off a heart attack in like a week. I will keep donating to him.
Marxism is antithetical to liberal ideas of electoralism - expecting to win at the liberal bourgeosie's own game is always doomed to fail (case in point: gestures with arms to general surroundings).