Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Didn't say it wasn't, but afp is a broad tent.

Which pide is not in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Coop in Växjö did have some sort of Balkan pastry called "Burek", which was absolutely fantastic, but not even a trace of bagels.

Turkish, actually. Countries that were part of the Ottoman empire still have a lot of Turkish influenced cuisine like Börek.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Being in Italy is no guarantee of excellent pizza everywhere and the presumption of this is how so many poo poo pizza restaurants bilk idiot tourists for money. Maybe the worst pizza I've ever had in a restaurant was in Naples literally the home of pizza.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Where's the loving tomato. Pizza blanca or blanco or whatever they call it is certainly some dire trash, in my experience.

The "cheese" looks like someone accidentally dropped some sour cream on the pizza, and the "ham" looks like they just took some thin-sliced lunchmeats and tossed them on there.

What the gently caress?

I mean yes it's obviously mortadella and pistachio, which can be good on pizzas but that one looks distressingly moist

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

It's at minimum the closest thing to edible in that horrible image, and I did love my grandma's goulash back in the day.

I would eat the pickles and pepperoni one

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I have a vegan friend who likes the vegan burger at McDonald's so we've been together more times than I would like recently, anyway the way he puts ketchup on his fries is to squeeze a line of ketchup along each fry individually as he eats it and I'm beginning to think he's a serial killer

Apparently he doesn't like the idea of just squeezing out the sauce onto the paper thing or the burger box lid or something less insane

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The Belgians and the Dutch have it right, chips and mayo is the way forward, or any one of the ridiculous multitude of sauces you can get with your cone of chips there

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The better move would have been renaming them for Belgium to actually piss the French off

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I can see it with my eyes and recognise what it is because it's a type of meal I've eaten before. It's possible that the specific example in the photograph is made badly, but there's no reason to assume that.

I have a reputation for defending British food but you're barking up the wrong tree here m9, pick your battles. There's plenty of reasons to assume that stew is made badly, going off the rest of the evidence:

- a sad ground pepper pot and HP sauce as the condiments
- poo poo white sliced bread
- huge chunks of carrot in the stew
- large pile of unseasoned boiled potatoes
- unearned sense of pride in throwing the above together

That stew is gonna be bland and watery as gently caress

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Lol no, in a decent stew that demonstrated any understanding of cooking techniques the carrots would have been diced small as part of a mirepoix/soffrito to impart their sweetness to the whole dish instead of just being big lumps of either mush or underdone depending on when they were added. And a decent hunk of crusty bread with some actual bite to it would be infinitely preferable to add some textural contrast to the rest of the dish.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Valko posted:

Lol, Im on the other side of the atlantic. The only condiments available were Ketchup or HP Sauce.

Hp sauce would have improved it, tbh.

that's a wrap m9 not a burrito

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Is that actually what a burrito is? I've never honestly been quite sure cos yeah we only have wraps here.

Come on m9 I know your whole shtick is bumbling brit baffled by the existence of weird foreign muck but there's been (poo poo) burritos in the UK for fuckin ages

There's overlap between burritos and wraps but generally I'd say a burrito should be larger, more stuffed, tightly wrapped, and the filling should generally have some kind of carb in there (rice or fries in the case of breakfast burritos) and beans. Also should be served hot. All burritos are wraps but not all wraps are burritos.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Fishless fillets and creamy pea puree sounds loving grim

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

The United Kingdom has, hands down, the worst slang on the planet. What the gently caress is footy scran

football food.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

that looks like poo poo mac n cheese but not because of the presence of peas.

i could see an argument that mac n cheese should be purely pasta and a cheese sauce, and the addition of any other ingredients makes it a cheesy pasta bake, but still, peas ain't the problem there

i'd also argue that plenty of people's definition of mac n cheese includes non pasta/cheese things, like bacon, or breadcrumb topping etc

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Mymla posted:

Pasta shapes are almost completely interchangeable. The one thing more insane to have a strong opinion on than coke/pepsi.

no

Zipperelli. posted:

Cavatappi is objectively the best shape for mac and cheese, but clearly goons aren't ready for that discussion yet :colbert:

You have my sword. I'm also partial to something like conchiglie or gomiti.

Cartoon Man posted:

I can’t get over like two pages worth of goons defending peas in Mac and cheese. There’s clearly some form of mass hysteria infecting this thread.

Cartoon Man posted:

Peas? I don’t know why but it makes me ill thinking about tasting that.

Feeling ill over a vegetable as innocuous as peas means that you are actually in fact the goon, good sire

steinrokkan posted:

Penne is the universal pasta.

penne sucks for most applications, I'd much rather have fusilli as the universal pasta. getting a fork full of penne is much less satisfying than fusilli or anything with more texture and shape to it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

He posts a video basically every day and I watch them religiously

Luckily for you I generally have zero loving clue what food he is showing so I can't rightfully post them as AFP

https://i.imgur.com/T8NGt70.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/UTMIYsx.mp4

I wish I knew what he was saying :allears:

e: sorry, I'd be remiss not to repost this one
https://i.imgur.com/hJltzRh.mp4

In the first video he says 'diet tepsi', which means 'diet tray/plate'. It's obviously ironic as the plate is full of different kinds of Turkish delight and other incredibly sugary Turkish sweet things.

In the second video he's talking a bunch of weird poo poo. He speaks Turkish really weirdly and takes pauses in weird spots that made it difficult for me to translate but my Turkish friend and her family helped: "My loving heart has wings like a bird. My world is beautiful with Antep cheese, life is sweet with Antep cheese".

Gaziantep is a city and region in Turkey renowned for its food, including pistachios, to the point that pistachio in Turkish is Antep fıstık, literally 'Antep peanut', which should go some way to explaining his pistachio shtick.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Valko posted:

I was thinking the same thing.

Anyhow, check these out:

That's not chocolate. It's Marmite.

Have and would a million times again.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

City of Glompton posted:

we had something similar and it was delicious. i still have the 30+ year old community cookbook from my childhood that has the recipe, complete with mystery splatter

"Cook broccoli according to package directions" is unreasonably upsetting me. Why is your broccoli in a package.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Marmite and its derivatives are delicious and very versatile ingredients

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQpK3CgCznk

These guys attempted to recreate it

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Legitimately not sure why the Eggonog is weirding people out? Has no one put booze in eggnog before?

Classic eggnog is alcoholic by design and definition, I guess what's weirding people out is the Eggo branding conflating it with waffles, and it being a liqueur.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Oh and I guess it's an option at the chippy but the canadians do that as well, and I don't think anyone round here would put gravy on cheese.

U wot m8? Speak for yourself, cheesy chips and gravy is a fine delicacy as a student at 3am when shitfaced and staggering back from the club or pub

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've just heard that Northerners (any one living in former Danelaw areas):
-Put gravy on everything
-Never wear a coat
-Speak to strangers while sober

Accurate

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

I never want to go to Turkey now.

I know you're joking but I've worked in a Turkish kitchen most summers in the last decade and it's one of my favourite cuisines in the world. Astounding variety due to all the influences of the former Ottoman empire and the geographical range of Turkey alone.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Imagine being the living creatures that got turned into oil over millions of years just to be sucked out of the ground to get a second life as this plastic trash

Watching it for longer than 5 seconds is possible?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Given the slowmo in front of a sign that literally warns against seagulls attacking I have to think that was the intended result

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Jesus Christ. Why are these people placing these so close to everything? I remember my dad used to do it like, in the middle of the driveway, as far away from anything flammable he could get.

... those are safety demonstrations

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I thought they were just using people's fail videos as a "don't do this poo poo" compilation.

Like, tell me it's hard to find a half-dozen of these posted in earnest.

Generally home videos would have actual people in them, would not be filmed on very obvious sound stages with painted tree backdrops nor would they have pulley systems to lower the turkey in

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Being British I'd never experienced thanksgiving until last year when my American friend invited me to her place along with her parents vising from the US

I specifically asked if they'd have green bean casserole because of hearing about it here, and they made it and I thought it was great. Probably they used fresh beans though. My friend said they'd never cooked it during her childhood but her dad was happy because he used to have it on the thanksgiving table growing up. Seems a dish that's much more than the sum of the parts

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Greek or caprese salad: exists

Some goons, apparently: ew get that disgusting poo poo away from me

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Data Graham posted:

The one that gets me is when they'll apply some other language's rules to Spanish, like saying "choritzo" for chorizo as though it were Italian or something.

I'm an English language teacher and follow a bunch of language and grammar nerds on YouTube and this video came up the other day, and was pretty interesting on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFDvAK8Z-Jc

Long and short of it; both British and American English pronounce some foreign words well and some poorly, depending on their vowel sounds - American English obviously does better with Spanish vowel sounds, British with French or German

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The last 15 posts were terrible to read hungover I felt like I was hallucinating them, what the gently caress goon don't eat raw loving potatoes

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Mymla posted:

Raw potatoes aren't good, and I don't eat them, but the taste is just kinda bland, not offensive.

Honestly I can kinda see the appeal compared to boiled potatoes, the blandest carb.

Season them and melt butter over them and toss some herbs through then ffs!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Stop it stop it stop it

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I recently bought a (hopefully) decent stick blender because my last cheap one crapped out on me, and one of the attachments it came with was a potato masher

I was incredibly sceptical but it did a great job. This bodes well for my future mashed potato consumption

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you make instant mash potato flakes try replacing 1/2 cup of the fluid with sour cream. Mix the sour cream and remaining fluid so it isn't lumpy. It makes the mash potatoes richer, creamer, and the sourness of the sour cream really adds something. Like the innards of a nice baked potatoes with sour cream and chives.

This might work with potatoes that haven't been processed into flakes too. Dunno, never tried it. Might be too wet?

Mixing dairy into mash is almost necessary - obviously butter, but also milk, or sour cream, I've used Greek Yoghurt sometimes

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nice may be, but Nice! is a Walgreens thing.

As opposed to England's bland cookies.

I'm not sure anyone hadn't grasped that concept, it was just the juxtaposition of thing with Nice in name costing .69 cents/pence/whatever that was amusing

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

Nice! is literally the store-brand for Walgreens. Where the gently caress did you get biscuits from? The picture itself is a bottle of water.

My brother in Christ, the person that didn't grasp the concept was literally quoted in the post you're replying to.

The first weird out of place comment was SlothfulCobra, to even bring up store brands at all was irrelevant in response to someone else saying "hey lol I also have a picture of the product name 'nice', price '69' juxtaposition. It seemed like a mission to advertise Walgreens store brand.

I'm almost certain Helith doesn't think every single package with Nice on it must contain biscuits, as you say there was literally a bottle of water in the picture, but they were confused by SlothfulCobra's bringing up of brands. A confused reply to a weird reply.

Now your post is a confused reply to a confused reply to a weird reply and we're an ouroboros of idiot posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

They have Tesco in Czechia?