Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elviscat posted:

Misread that as "This Old Tony" for a second and got concerned.

:same:
PHEW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

I believe that a lot of people voted for Trump in 2016 as a protest against Clinton as they didn’t think he had a chance and in doing so Brexited themselves. The day after the Brexit vote and the results started coming in there was a lot of people saying they voted to leave as a protest against Cameron.

Anyone who says they voted for Trump in 2016 and admits it was a mistake I will give a pass too. People who voted for him twice can get hosed as it means they agreed with all the terrible poo poo he did.

As for Marty and Moog, I know they do a lot of charity and community work. I do not have any knowledge of them being a bunch of bogans.

Yeah, the Democrats shot themselves in the foot with that one. They picked the most unlikable candidate they could find, at least as far as a *lot* of folks were concerned. Hard agree on the 2-timers, though. I very nearly voted Trump, at least early in the campaign wanted to, just for the LOL factor, "something different," but then he started talking about what he wanted to do and, nah, I ain't havin' that on my conscience.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes they are. AI goons know them personally.

Oh, good. That's a relief.
Now if we could just get Moog to pronounce "kei" properly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

beep-beep car is go posted:

Anyone know about Mustie1? He seems like a small engine and ACVW old hippie but also has a bit of a chuddy vibe.

He definitely treated COVID with doubt and scorn. Then he got it and maybe understood that it was real. He generally does not discuss politics as far as I've seen.

You Am I posted:

Definitely chud. He mentioned that he when he had Covid that he was using whatever that horse drug is to cure it. It was a shame cos I liked his videos up to that time

Well, poo poo. You mean Ivermectin.

DoriDori240 posted:

He posted a community post linking a rant about the election being stolen shortly after Biden won, and how he wanted all of his viewers to read it. He got ripped pretty badly in the comments and deleted it shortly after. I unsubbed that day and never looked back. I did hear that he got Covid (and a pretty bad case at that) and did watch a video update where he sounded rough as hell but quickly referring to the "coof" and later mentioned that Ivermectin saved his life. Sucks because he reminds me of my dad (who is nothing like him politically) but loves working on small engine stuff and old Japanese bikes.

Alas.

Goddammit.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Damnit. I'm probably in denial. Really enjoyed their content, that said the big project is essentially done so no better time to cut the cord.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

As soon as Binky's done, I'm done with that channel.

Sucks.
:same:, I guess. Definitely ending Patronage.

I loving hate this world.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

<insane bullshit>

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:stonklol:
Well, that was a thing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ishikabibble posted:

You don't need to dig that far.

As 22 Eargesplitten already mentioned, there's a difference between 'someone makes something ethically dubious' and 'someone makes something ethically dubious while funding, platforming, and espousing generally hateful content towards the sheer existence of certain people'.

Just because there's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism or w/e doesn't mean that there aren't choices people can make as consumers to at least have their own pocket money not going towards people who are going to use it for things they find despicable.
Like... if someone came out and said the owners of Rock Auto were all major donors to far right politicians who were actively campaigning to put trans folk in prison, or that Akira Nakai/RWB was deep into far right Japanese politics and has gone on record denying the existence of comfort women or whatever... Then you don't need to go 'but they're all involved in the automotive hobby, which is contributing to the obsession of private car ownership and rapidly accelerating us towards environmental collapse due to global warming', you can just. Call them lovely people, stop buying from or promoting them, and move on.

It's this.
We have to participate, but we can take the lesser of evils if at all possible.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Large Testicles posted:

Make Australia Great Again

...that's a thing?
Who knew Trump was an internationally infectious disease?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not quite - Make Australia Great Again turns you mostly a target for people to tell you to gently caress off loudly and openly. Make Australia Great Again is mostly from a lovely billionaire called Clive Palmer who used Trump style popularism for his political party called Unite Australia Party. He tried to ride anti vaxxer hard, anti lockdown etc and spend somethign like 100 million in the recent election trying to get candidates elected.... and basically failed. He also tried to sue West Australia for billions and lost. Palmer's popularism and anti vaxxer boosting was before Trump however, he did try to copy it somewhat. He also royally hosed over workers and is probably one of the most hated people here esp in WA.

Also mostly, the GOP style of politcs is a good way to get yourself not elected as a bunch of very surprised lovely politicans found out in May. Hate baiting the gays got roundly defeated in the same sex vote, hating transgender isnt working, the country has become majority secular so screaming and stamping of feet by fundies isnt really working re abortion, hell even Murdoch press isnt really able to come up with a good working scare about minorities esp given that well..... in plenty parts of Australia it's become Asian decent *majority*

The scumbag LNP will find a way to break through again but the standard Trump playbook wont be it.

Glad to hear it's not working down there.
Oddly enough, the majority in the US aren't MAGA - they're just very loud, colorful idiots, but that doesn't matter because the loving Right spent decades jerrymandering the gently caress out of voting districts to collect all the gullible idiots together.
I'm astounded how Latinos are moving to the Republican party, but given how much the Dems are focusing on poo poo that's high-brow but has zero effect on day-to-day difficulties of, you know, living, it becomes somewhat understandable. Not that the Right is going to do anything about affordable housing, employment and wages, which is actually what's causing most people pain. Quite the opposite, but for some reason...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Advent Horizon posted:

I’m still waiting for that OnlyVans link.

:golfclap:

Didn't want that to slip by unnoticed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bar Patron posted:

Asian guy at my workshop calls us round eyed fucks. It's good. Love that yellow bastard.

...dude.

quote:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

good.

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone told him? It's entirely possible that either someone else manages sponsorships and/or he's not online enough to know that a coffee company is a front for white supremacists.

I'd buy that. I'd actually prefer that be the case, if I'm honest.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

opengl128 posted:

Looks like they got a new host for HRG to replace Tony, lets see what she's about

Oh

Now I wish I subscribed so I could unsubscribe.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

As always with these loving clowns, the thing they screech about other people doing is just projection visible from space.

With the Republicans, Every Accusation Is A Confession.

Huh. He's not entirely wrong. Pretty sure a large swath of "America" was founded/settled by folks trying to escape the Bible or a particular interpretation of the Bible, so in that respect...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I *hate* that phrase.
Cuss like a real grown up, you pansy. Everybody knows what it means - say what you really want to say.
It's like all the *wink, wink* 420 stuff. ~*it is a drug reference, get it?*~ I know lot's of folks do the 420 stuff as a joke, but it always seems like some of them think they're being sly and/or clever. Same here.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The Mercedessource guy has been completely apolitical as far as I can tell, and extremely informative.

Drivetribe is good.

Mr. Darcy and the Ol' Man seem to do purely harmless motorcycle reviews.

Comedy option 3Dbotmaker.

3Dbotmaker is entertaining background noise.

I also like Robot Cantina - they've been doing silly things to cars, like putting a HF lawn tractor engine in a 1st-gen Insight just to see if it could get to typical car speeds. No their fiddling with and old Saturn running a feedback lawnmower carb - which they also did cylinder deactivation on to see how it would run with 3, 2, and 1 cylinder.
Did I mention that the HF engine was fuel injected? They did that, too.
No politics I've been able to discern, which is impressive as they live in rural BFE.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

"La la la la la - I can't hear you everything is fine."

Though the use of "woke" as a pejorative says something to me about that person.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Mike Rowe was just on sundae conversation and trotted out the old "THERE ARE SO MANY JOBS TODAY BUT NOBODY WANTS TO WORK" republican classic from the last couple years

That is incredibly disappointing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, no. A billionaire is ruling class no matter what. There is no amount of "work" one person can do that is worth a billion dollars, much less 200 billion. That is stolen value from other workers. Only way to do it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Large Testicles posted:

I wish I had something like "I hope all 40 of his super cars are turned into something witty I can't come up with right now cause it's 2am" but I really wish there was a way to turn his collection into something worthwhile to his victims, but you just know that they're just gonna get auctioned off to people who are just as lovely because this is Romania (we all know this happens in the US too) and the cycle will continue.

It gets better. Cops only found 11 cars, so he lied about that as well. ~*Alpha Male*~

pastor of muppets posted:

I sincerely appreciate The Autopian for trying to foster a non-chud-dominated car community that's also not a click-baity ad-ridden hellsacpe. I really hope they make it. :(

pastor of muppets posted:

Yeah I wouldn't say they're explicitly leftist, but their MO is basically 1. car culture is for everyone, 2. climate change is real and the car community needs to come to terms with that, and 3. transphobes will be banned on sight (one of their staff writers is a trans woman and they enforce this rule with gusto)

Oh, good to know - I'll check them out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There's a few EV Youtube channels doing just that now. The thing I guess that is a content problem is they area bit same-sy - Tesla driveline, batteries from xyz, controller, old car has 700+Nm of torque and can fry tyres or go indecently fast with the TC on.

Sure a VW Kombi doing 0-Lightspeed in a fraction of a second is hilarious but the same type of build does get monotonous over and over again. So far there's not really a lot of ways like with ICE to be stupidly overpowered, its very cookie cutter.

Unless you are like AI poster Blooot who built a motorcyle engine hybrid Nissan Leaf that is just all sorts of WTF

The Tesla drive unit is the SBC of the day. Ubiquitous for a reason.
Mainly because there are non-Tesla controller boards for them. Aging Wheels is putting *two* of them in a Ford Escape. Tuned up. He's building a 900HP AWD Ford Escape!

e, goddamit:

Panty Saluter posted:

speaking of sick rear end electric swaps https://youtu.be/Gs6YRANUR-c

Ok Comboomer posted:

there's already guys doing that on youtube to great success, and AFAIK none of them are particularly "woke" or anything like that

Rich Rebuilds is the big one that comes to mind, and I'm pretty sure he's in the 'hardcore Joe Rogan fan' demo + last I checked he was still thumbnailing his videos with thirst-trap pictures of his partner

He's also V8 and diesel swapped Teslas (wrecked ones that Tesla has blacklisted, though) and has a ridiculous diesel medium-duty truck. And a Corvette. On the flip side, he EV converted a traditional hot rod.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

God dammit. Wish there was a way to support Nik without supporting this asshat.
He sounds so nice and personable narrating the videos. Pity.

Wonder if Nik is aware how much of a chud his friend is?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yep, Nik is very much not a chud by all accounts

Well, that's a relief. Somewhat of a relief, at least.

They've posted some stuff to Patreon - they're reinventing the wheel building a custom dash/gauge set. I mean, seriously, 3D printing circuit traces....

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

SA in general is pretty anti-chud. Which is amazing considering the edgelord comedy that was the genesis of this place.

Automotive Insanity is, at least, thought the few non AI threads I follow do seem to be reasonable.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Next time on Roadkill, a special guest!!

Oh, look, he's put a target right where one needs to be. Charlie's forehead carving would work, too.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

See also virtually every photo of a Ukrainian soldier which somehow mysteriously contains at least one of very many well known nazi and nazi associated insignias and those in the comments saying 'well nazis appropriated lots of symbols, how can we be sure this isn't the original intent?' like the dumb motherfuckers they are. Blows my mind.

Mark Hamill recently having a cosy chat with Ukrainian operatives while a blood and soil flag with further nazi adjacent symbols sewn into it sits on the wall behind them was a big 'ol yikes too. :v:

Please tell me you are not trying to legitimize Russia's justification of their invasion of Ukraine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MetaJew posted:

I think he's saying that a lot of pro-ukraine photos and propaganda keep featuring known neo-nazi insignia. It's weird that no one related to distributing these photos or interviews does any due diligence to say "you know maybe we shouldn't post these photos of the brave soldier with a big Schwarze Sonne patch on his chest."

I don't think anyone here is pro-russia. It's just bizarre that the pro-ukraine propaganda often has these visible symbols that have widely known and problematic history.

'K, that's a fair point.
Probably could do with a little investigation.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think you can recognize and criticize right wing/white nationalist poo poo that shows up in the Ukrainian military and still be broadly against the Russian invasion

it’s not like our military here in the US is completely free of white nationalists or their symbols

Good God, you ain't wrong, there.

Oof.
I don't like "both sides-ing", but when the shoe fits...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Full Collapse posted:

The Gadsden flag was stolen. :c

I can't never post this one:

but a new contender has come to light:

bonus:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

This is my favorite

Hah, hadn't seen those.

Best chuds are the ones that fly both a Gadsden and a Thin Blue Line. Explaining to them how those two things are mutually exclusive is entertaining.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's not mutually exclusive for these ""Libertarians"" because they think of government as a weapon to be wielded against other people and that it cannot, or should not, help people ever. Therefore the only legitimate function of government is the military and police.

What's funny is when their surprised when it's wielded *against them.*
"I am surprised the face-eating tiger would eat my face."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

I have a Bernie sticker next to a "fine, Biden 2020. But this is BULLSHIT" sticker and it took my most deplorable neighbor like ten visits to notice it, which is pretty funny.

I'd love to not ever see people like that ever, but there are only like 10 houses on our 1+mile street and he keeps inviting himself over. I haven't seen him since then now that I think about it...

I don't put stickers like that on my car because I don't want to have that conversation, especially with strangers, because boy howdy, do chuds really want to tell you about how wrong-headed you are, unsolicited.
My social anxiety is bad enough already.

Dick Burglar posted:

Also, overtly political poo poo on your car is just asking for trouble. Especially if it's in opposition to chuds.

Bingo.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Something like this?

Oof, I remember that episode. They *really* underestimated the reaction they'd get.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

if there's one thing I've learned from years of driving gig economy jobs it's that you want the most anonymous car possible, and you definitely don't want to put remotely political poo poo on your car

I bought my old CR-V from my Slate lib sister and it had a few pop feminism/#resist stickers on it, and you wouldn't believe the number of north shore thumb guys that would follow me, sometimes for miles, in most cases (thankfully) peeling away when they caught a glimpse of my shaved head + beard mug when they (I assume) expected a woman they could more comfortably yell at and menace

had a few moments that felt enough like close calls that I heat gunned off the more overt ones within a few weeks. Still got my share of negative truck guy attention for a simple/subtle women's lib one that I left on until I totaled the poor beast

Ugh. Kinda hate living some days, much less living here.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

And to think, a two-minute conversation with Jeremy and they would have found that they agree on most things.

Yeah, disappointing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

It's more energy efficient to burn tons of coal in a massive power plant than burn mL's of gasoline in an ICE so I guess it evens out in the end. I don't mind if finding a gas station is like finding a kerosene pump in the future and gas is $19 a gallon, I just want to hear my engine make noise while I drive my garage queen

"You're not wrong, you're just an rear end in a top hat"
I feel like I get that response a lot...

Well, yeah, that's a partial solution to pollution, but it does nothing for the "too loving many personal vehicles on the road at one time" problem that afflicts any major city, and the LA area in particular.

CommieGIR posted:

But yeah adopting Mass Transit would go a long way to making roads more enjoyable for leisure drivers.

Exactly!

and yeah, Elon is not only a racist, fascist piece of poo poo, he's also a fuckwit. Very much not the smartest guy in the room.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

E85 conversion for me, can't discount not having to build a new car even if E85 isn't non-problematic as well.

Propane or methane if corn squeezin's become a problem.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wasn’t this the dipshit that had a Black Rifle Coffee sticker on his car?

Edit: well, duh, he’s wearing a BRCC shirt in the picture.

Edit 2: and Large Testicle mentioned the sponsorship. It’s a Monday…

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 11, 2024

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I called 2 different people Steven today and neither of them are called that so I get it, don't worry.

lol. I would have to go hide in a closet after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

At the very least Abom seems to have a strong aversion to talking politics on his channel whatsoever. I need to catch back up on his stuff.

That in itself is a cut above the usual fascist BS. They just can't *resist* talking about it. If he is a Righty he's smarter than most.