Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I'd also like to recommend a few Amp Sim VST plugins

First- Freebies
ML soundlab has 2 different sims that provide FREE amps with the ability to purchase the others in the bundle. Both are pretty brutal, but they both sound pretty awesome.
https://ml-sound-lab.com/products/amped-stevie-t-free
https://ml-sound-lab.com/products/amped-roots?variant=32886035513403

Top Tier:
I personally like the Neural DSP line the best for playing through as they just feel the best, and they have a great variety of different suites that offer just about any tone you would want. They skew towards super heavy stuff, but the Corey Wong and ToneKing suites are some of the very best clean sounds I've ever heard from a sim.

STL Tones offers ToneHub which is basically like a virtual Kemper, as well as their AMPHub which is more like the Neural model that has different virtual amps. I really like using STL Tones in mixes, but they feel pretty great as well.

Mercuriall has several different amp sims that are absolutely top tier- their Euphoria and SPARK are dead nuts on models of the Bogner Ecstasy and Marshall Plexi/800/Jubilee respectively. Absolutely fantastic.

Helix Native: It's a Helix, but in a plugin.

Tier 2:
Positive Grid Bias, IK Multimedia Amplitube, Peavey Revalver, NI Guitar Rig

These are all decent sounding and offer a ton of different models, but they fall a little short of the stuff I would put in the top tier. Very usable even for pro level recordings, these just take a bit more work to get them where I want them compared to tier 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Gaggins posted:

Hello guitar thread, I had a question about the BOSS KATANA sound patches (from the Boss Tone Studio application). They have some stock tones on there, and some are good, but most are not great.

I basically want to download some tone cheat codes and wondered if there's a source where people share or upload their Katana settings for different distortions, chorus, delays, etc.

Fill your boots, lad
http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/category/katana/

Also, I shall grant you the ultimate cheat code for TOANZ on modelers/amp sims/etc.

1- Start with the amp BY ITSELF, flat EQ, moderate gain
1a- choose your cab sim or load your impulse response. This may actually be the most important part.
1b- tweak gain and amp eq to taste. Try using less gain than you think you need, and make small eq moves.
Do not go to step 2 until just the naked amp sounds good
2- add things like overdrive/distortions if you need to goose it a bit- for modern metal you're probably turning on an overdrive with the level maxed and the drive at zero with the tone set at 50% or higher pretty much all the time
3- Add your modulation FX (if needed)
4- Then add on your reverb/delay/other ambience (again, less is more)

If you don't know where to start, STEAL. Find out what amp your favorite player uses and dial up the closest model to that you can. You're going to be starting close to where you want to be right from the get go.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

lazerwolf posted:

What’s a good cheap PAF?

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Vintage-59-Classic-Alnico-V-Humbucker-Black_p_21820.html

I'm also very partial to the Dimarzio PAF pro, The Duncan Seth Lover, and some models of Gibson Burstbuckers, but prices vary pretty wildly on the ones I mentioned

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Major Operation posted:

The lineup of humbuckers from GFS is confusing. I just put a set of GFS Alnico V humbuckers in a guitar, but they were these (except Zebra):
https://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-professional-Series-Alnico-V-Humbucker-Black-Case-Neck-Pickup-5-Wire_p_35021.html

Both product pages claim to be their most "authentic" take on that style, although the link I gave doesn't call itself a "Patent Applied For". Just SEO tricks?

I don't have an opinion on how PAF-y the professional series is. I don't know what a PAF is supposed to sound like. They sound OK to me.

PAFs tend to be fairly bright (especially Alnico V) and somewhat scooped with a nice bottom end with lower/moderate output. Something hotter like a super distortion will have less top end, quite a bit more bass and mids.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Propagandhi songs are fuckin' hard yo What the gently caress

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lumpy posted:

We already need a new thread title, and this is it.

yep

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Their slowest song is like still 160 bpm, sigh.

Wish you could buy the first two album tabs from Sheet Happens too. I assume that is due to label issues or something.

Iteration is 190, and you have to hit THIS motherfucker on the fly
x
x

For the love of christ my fackin handssss
Also- try singing it hahahahahahahahaha ow my vocal cords. I don't know what Chris was thinking on this record but everything is so loving high

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0omgYNxZseA

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

wish gretsch made something a little more aesthetically tasteful than saul goodman's cadillac deville, because filtertrons are super nice sounding

Cabronita Telecaster- The mint green one is the business but the blondies are pretty fetching as well

https://reverb.com/item/55501150-fender-cabronita-telecaster-2012-transparent-white-blonde

Weird BIAS posted:

Chris does a patreon podcast thing, A Catastrophic Break with Consensus Reality. I think for this record he said the problem was 1. Chris was mixing it himself early on before being handed over for emergency mixing once he realized he was in over his head and deadlines were approaching 2. Chris was recording himself singing by himself with no outside opinion. So it ends up being that he did a lot of things that weren't really realistic for even him, it's why much of this record gets either drop tuned or skipped live too. He also has found other ways to do the songs with different melodies for the vocals live.

Chris' patreon is the best money I've ever spent. The Duplicate Keys Icaro episode is absolutely must listen stuff

Spanish Manlove posted:

what section is that chord in the song? those sus2 torture chords can be a pain in the rear end at first but they're not bad to switch into depending on the previous chord

First one hits at :41. I'm getting there but it's still a fuckin nightmare

Gramps fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 10, 2022

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Let's talk about modeling amplifiers, then! There's something about modeling amps vs tube amps that I want to understand. It comes up in this video, at 595s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH-4eT9qrDY&t=595s

The video says firefly's stock pickups sound worse thru a tube amp, but you might not notice on a modeling amp. Can someone help me understand why this might be? Is it as simple as: the magnetic field is too strong? In other words, the pickups are too "hot"?
On the cheaper side of things especially an analog signal path is going to be a little more responsive and immediate than a digital modeler would be. That's why I like the Peavey vypyr amps better than most other modelers- it's a digitally controlled analog circuit. A tube circuit is going to be even more responsive still, and you can definitely pick up a bit more nuance through a tube Amp. The main difference still is feel. The very best Amp Sims do a fantastic job of replicating that, but it's still not the same as standing in front of a ginned up half stack. That said, unless something about your play style requires that direct interaction with the Amp (feedback etc) then I'm not sure anyone could tell the difference in the studio. If you're tracking in the control room (which is how it's done most of the time nowadays) I virtually guarantee you couldn't tell the difference between a micd up SLO in the next room and the neural DSP SLO plugin, but either way you'd definitely be able to hear the difference between pickups through either rig. Pickups are super super important, spend the quiche on good ones.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Save yourself/other future techs some grief later and use a tiny drop of Elmers to secure your nuts. The strings hold em in place 99.999 percent of the time, the glue is just to keep the nut from flopping off if you take all the strings off. No need for super strong glue.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

superglue on nuts can take chunks of wood with it when you knock the nut loose to reshape or replace it, elmers pops off clean. Ask me if I learned the hard way (on a customer's guitar no less).

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lumpy posted:

Guess that Dan Erlewine must not know what he's doing then.

They use titebond here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi7LtmdOrFw

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

calm down, it’s a wig

New thread title imho

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Got a couple packs of the Dunlop Jazz III Gator Grips. I'd been using the 1.5mm regular Gator Grips and after getting used to the Jazz III smaller size, I gotta say I like the sharper point. There's a noticeable increase in pick attack, especially on fast trem picking. Pretty nice! I wish they had them in a thicker profile with the grippy texture though.

Also, question: what are some good IR packs that people are using? I want to try out some different cab sims with my HX Stomp but I'm not really sure whats worth looking at. I remember seeing internet people talk up the Ownhammer stuff but that shits spendy. Not a big problem if they are worth it but I'd rather not just throw money at things randomly.

I have a ton of different IRs, but unless you're a pro mix engineer who needs a zillion options (even a pro doesn't need as many as I have) just kick mr. Bogren a few bucks and grab his pack. They sound fabulous and have silly names so it's easy to remember which ones you like

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I looked at those and a lot of reviews say they're really good for a mix but not that great for solo play, which is generally what I do. In fact, its all I do.

Nah they just sound great, period. I tend to prefer them even when I'm just practicing or noodling.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

oh i’m actually a piano major at school. just not super far along yet. and so far i’ve been so distracted by writing emo songs w/ jazz chords that i didn’t practice very much.

i have a decent yamaha keyboard in my room and we have a ton of uprights at school. i like going into the jazz room when no one’s there and having the yamaha baby grand to myself for a little while.

in a weird way it’s probably better for my guitar prospects that i’m not so emotionally invested in the instrument right now. because if it’s not rewarding to do the same poo poo i’ve been doing, i no longer mind working on technique, practicing songs from school, and so on.

same thing for piano.

when there’s nothing clawing at me, it’s a lot easier to be diligent, so it’s weirdly stabilizing.

Being a guitar nerd that is obsessed with guitar toys and gear and stuff will definitely stunt your growth as a musician, so that's honestly probably a plus for you overall. Once you find your "thing" you'll be cookin'.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Wouldn't those squiggly fret true temperament guitars only sound good in some keys and make it sound worse in others? Do you have to pick squiggle styles based on a couple of keys you want to play in? Would changing tunings and string gauges gently caress up your perfect squiggle tuning or intonation?

They use a Thiddell formula 1 temperament which apparently works in all keys but it's optimize for the open position keys.

http://www.guyguitars.com/truetemperament/eng/tt_techdetails.html

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Let me tell you about jazzmaster trems and what they do to tuning...

I would vote for any politician that made mastery bridges mandatory on all jms and jags

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I've been a lifelong Gibson hater due to their lovely pricing and abysmal QC. Ironically I was gifted a LP studio faded a few years ago and it's the best sounding guitar I've owned. Go figure. They do occasionally make a killer guitar, but in my experience you gotta try a few to get a real good one. My buddy was gifted an LP standard a few years ago and had to go through 3 of em until we finally got one that was acceptable.

If you want a really great LP, hunt down a Burny/Tokai/Edwards if you can find one. The word got out over the last few years so finding a good price is a lot harder than it used to be, but man they're killer

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

nom epique posted:

Anyone experience with budda SuperDrive ? Seems to be a mis priced used one on guitar center website

The Pre-Peavey ones are incredible. The Peavey made ones still sound good but definitely took a big dip in build quality

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

a.p. dent posted:

teachers love an enthusiastic adult learner!!

My favorite students were the ones that really wanted to do it and were having fun with it. Obviously it was mostly kids, but my oldest student was in his late 70s. Adults were a mixed bag as far as skill, but they tend to take it more seriously as a rule since they understand the value of a dollar, so adult students tended to actually be prepared when they showed up. Get in there!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Helianthus Annuus posted:

This is a question about polishing guitar frets:

One of my guitars is pretty new, I adjusted the action and intonation at the bridge as best I can, but it's never felt the gentle caress of a real luthier. When doing string bends on it, the frets feel very "grainy," which tells me they want to be polished.

But if I don't take it to a luthier, and instead I just play the poo poo out of it, will that "break in" the frets so they eventually feel smoother? I like my big and tall frets, and I'm loathe to take any metal off of them prematurely!

breakin em in will not have the same effect as a good polish. I usually use 0000 steel wool, just tape off everything with painters tape (especially the pickups!!!) It's a little messy but it works really well and you can get steel wool anywhere. It will scratch the gently caress out of anything it touches so be careful up near the body (hence the tape). There are lots of other fret polishing products out there, but I haven't found one that did a better job than steel wool- especially for the money. I've heard good things about the music nomad Frine, but haven't tried it yet. If it's as good as their other stuff, then it's awesome.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

The Leck posted:

For anyone here, how do you know when it's time to get rid of/replace one or more? I'm trying not to just endlessly cycle through buying and selling new gear, but there's always a feeling that the grass would be greener if I switched something out.

If I have an axe that sits for awhile, before I decide to sell it I like to let a friend borrow it for a bit. If I don't miss it, I either give/sell it to them, or I sell it once I get it back.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

You do not want a JEMJr under just about any circumstances.

You DO want a 90's RG550 under just about any circumstances.

Jem Jr have the absolute worst trem ibanez ever released. The Premium series however kick rear end. Ibanez has done a great job with that Indonesian plant and a lot of the Premium branded stuff is as good as anything I've played.

That said, 90's JPN built RG guitars are the shreddiest shred sticks that ever shredded

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Whats the proper term for the tuners on my Jaguar and Gretsch bass where you feed the end of the string straight into the top before winding it around? Y-top or something? I've been looking and I've not found them for sale stand-alone, at least not clearly labeled as such (all Thomann's pictures seem to just be of the backs.

Does this style have any advantages over the more common type? How does it compare to a locking tuner?

Those are called Safety posts also written as Safe-t-posts cause of the inability to stab yourself with loose string ends.

I am a locking tuner contrarian, so take this with a grain of salt, but ANY normal tuner including safety post style tuners will have as good of tuning stability as anything else provided that the strings are wound correctly and properly stretched. Locking tuners provide for marginally faster string changes, but I don't believe they add anything to tuning stability whatsoever, and in my experience they can be marginally worse depending on the guitar. If you like em that's cool, but they aren't a magic bullet to tuning stability. A properly cut and lubricated nut and properly installed strings are what will keep you in tune. (That and a stable bridge design that doesn't cause problems itself)

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

thanks to everyone for reading. i'm currently back and forth between being kind of a mess and feeling like the world is my oyster, but i'll have to learn to deal somehow.

now,

i've asked this a million times before, i know, but:

i know a 3nps major and minor scale.

what's a good, doable way to learn my scales, arpeggios, and get better at lead work in general?

at the beginning of guitar methods and stuff, it seems to move really slowly and i kinda glaze over a little. i try to skip ahead and i'm lost. i'm at a really weird spot where my knowledge of theory and stuff is much further ahead than would be typical for an intermediate electric guitar player. and even some of my chord shapes are advanced and i voice my own which is maybe a little beyond intermediate? idk

what's a good/manageable way to study this stuff and get it under the fingers, with purpose?

one of my main issues is that when i look at a tab for a song i like and i want to learn the leads, it can be tricky to find out what positioning the lead work is using and where my fingers should be for good technique, and that sort of thing.

Start playing vocal melodies by ear. Pick a singer you think has cool phrasing and try to play along. Also, pick out some guitar solos you really enjoy and learn them note for note.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

ok but i don't know anything about how to position my fingers and stuff like that for playing those lines.

like it's the sort of knowledge where learning music is hard and i'm reluctant to write it -- like i need to know fingerings and positionings and stuff so as not to develop bad technique and screw myself later

This exercise is kinda the OPPOSITE of technique- it's about intuition and understanding where the notes are and how they flow together. Worry about poo poo sounding good- that's literally the only thing that matters in music anyway. When it comes to lead playing, good phrasing and note selection beats technique 100/100 times. Technique will come with time if you want it to- just have a consistent warmup routine that emphasizes good technique and that will bleed into the rest of your playing. You really shouldn't ever be thinking about technique when playing. Just make cool noises!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I've seen Rancid live a few times at festivals and there is nothing you could say to convince me that Tim's guitar was even in the mix

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

what effect does leaving too much slack on the end of your strings around your tuning posts have?

If the wraps aren't clean or start to overlap each other you'll get slippage. You want between 2-4 wraps on each post optimally.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

l.

really, i'm mostly a punk/emo type player who took a theory class and got way into extended chords and stuff. it's all kind of a Land of Contrasts-- JB is kind of aggressive sounding, but i generally play a lot of extensions and very pretty sounding things, and i always have distortion on, but i love thin, light, feminine guitars. and i think maybe if you looked at me you wouldn't assume i like so much distortion (very thin, 5'6, very nervous/unassuming twink demeanor).

You should check out Propagandhi if you like Punk and hosed up chords. Best band on the planet, and their songs are absolutely confounding to play.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Seconding this band. Their newer albums have a lot more fun chords than their old ones, but I'm still trying to figure out the last chord in the main verse riff of Back to the Motor League. It feels like its a Bmin7 that turns into an Emaj7 but I'm not sure

I have the whole Sheet Happens collection of tab books. If we're talking about the same chords it should be this:

2 4
4 7
4 6
4 4
2 x
x x

If that aint it, gimme a timestamp and I'll pull it straight from the source my dude

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Quizzlefish posted:

Is there a place one can find and browse some Katana tones that others have made?

http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/category/katana/

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

What's less expensive, a whole new neck or a refret job? I have an equally old strat that ive ground down over that amount of time. I asked guitar center and they quoted me $400 for it so I figured I'd save up and eventually resurrect the guitar with a refret and a Floyd conversion since it's a very sentimental guitar for me

If you shop around you can find a complete fretted neck for 200 bucks or less, especially for strats. If you wanna spend a little more, Warmoth necks rule, and they make just about every neck profile conceivable.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

frogbs posted:

So I have an old Ibanez GAX70 that I bought like 20 years ago. I pulled it out of storage last week and am just starting to learn some chords on it and play a little everyday. My big dumb old hands are having a pretty hard time dealing with the neck on this thing. Does this have an appreciably smaller/thinner neck than other electrics, or should I just keep practicing on it until my hands are stronger/more comfortable?

I'm trying to focus on the playing and less on the gear, so i'm hoping I just need to toughen up and slog through the first few weeks of getting my hands used to guitaring.

Just hang in there. Those do have a shorter scale (24 3/4 vs 25.5 on a fender) and relatively slim necks, but that makes the guitar easier to play, not harder. tbh big paws are a huge advantage so just keep truckin' man

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Go 1/16th to 1/8th of a turn at a time, retune and recheck, and then make more adjustments and repeat until it's good. Sometimes the teeniest adjustment will do it, sometimes its a big un

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lungboy posted:

Any opinions on the Positive Grid Spark for a total beginner as a teaching/practice amp? Reviews are variable but some of the features sound useful to me.

They're great but I think there's better modeling amps out there for the cash. The Katana series (obviously), or my favorite- the original Peavey Vypyr series. You can find a used one for under 100 bucks and they sound awesome.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

10-52 down a half step most of the time.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Chris Hannah's Jesus SG is the best SG. (it has an evertune on it now but I won't hold that against him)

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

my version of this is frantic research i have to do before listening to any riot grrrl band to make sure they don't hate trans women

Have you gone down the Against Me! rabbit hole yet? Laura Jane Grace is a fuckin' badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

a.p. dent posted:

i played an Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II for some time, pretty good guitar for the price (i paid $500)

Seconding this- they've made em a long time so there are plenty of good used ones out there. Any Epi Jazz box is gonna be pretty sweet. I'm also partial to the Ibanez Artcore line like everyone else. If you can stretch your budget a little, Eastman makes some REALLY nice stuff.