Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

DKII posted:

That sprite is usually more of a blank wide-eyed stare.

The way this legal system works, you know that judge has seen and done some poo poo that haunts him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Trying to compare any part of the Phoenix Wright legal system to the real world is an exercise in futility, of course.

But for reference, in Japan, the average age to pass the bar exam is 28, it is considered the hardest bar exam in the world. This is followed by a one year supervised internship, which earns you the right to call yourself a lawyer (bengoshi) and wear the sunflower lapel pin (yes, Phoenix's badge is a real thing Japanese lawyers wear), and then you can practice as a lawyer. It is permitted to take the bar exam without going to law school, but you have to pass a strict qualifying exam (with a 3% passing rate) first.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Quackles posted:

Honestly, the default unit of Ace Attorney is the comedy duo.

• Phoenix is the straight man to the partner's funnyman... ditto the wacky witnesses and others.
• The prosecutor is the straight man to Phoenix's funnyman, as he does ridiculous antics in the courtroom to keep in the trial.

And so on. The roles trade back and forth depending on circumstance.

This is, of course, a well known and beloved Manzai comedic style in Japan, often known in the West as the Boke and Tsukkomi routine. Abbot and Costello are probably the closest we've have to this in America.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Not for the first time, I wish there was a way to load just a single post. The forum is struggling hard trying to load all these images.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

That's very helpful! How did you perform this dark magic?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I'm going with Oldbag, just because I think Edgeworth hates her as much as we do and will go along with it.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

You know what? I'm going to be a big enough man to admit that I completely loving forgot about this twist in the decade-plus since I last played this one.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

achtungnight posted:

As for how to proceed... try the steak plate. One plate, yet she said both she and Sal ate steaks. Where's the other plate? That's my first thought.

That's WP's plate from the employee area, not either of the two plates from Studio 2. There's only one plate because it's the one that was relevant as evidence because it was drugged.

whitehelm posted:

The monkey head was cleared out of the way by then.

The monkey head wasn't cleared until after the first day of investigation, long after the murder happened.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Gosts posted:

the preservation of the *location*, on the other hand...

I don't know what you're talking about, everything in the localization fits perfectly. Now come, and let's all enjoy a traditional American meal around the traditional American kotatsu.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

DKII posted:

Can we switch to playing as Edgeworth now? He's been a lot of fun today.

If you're a very good LPer and finish the first three games for us, you can LP Ace Attorney Investigations as a treat.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

They worked way too hard to set up Edgeworth as an unrepentant single-dimensional amoral rear end in a top hat in case 2, only to now flip and work on showing him as a multidimensional figure here. I honestly wonder at times how the writing for this game went.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Samovar posted:

I remember reading a comment from someone who played a German translation of the game, and they said that that line was translated in such a way so that there wasn't as much... implied as it is in the English translation.

For shame!

And now I'm curious about the original Japanifornian line.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

serefin99 posted:

It is on the Phoenix Wright 1 cartridge. You can argue its place in the continuity all you want, but if someone is actually playing the games, they will see it in Phoenix Wright 1. It's from Phoenix Wright 1.

It's on a Phoenix Wright 1 cartridge, certainly. As to whether or not somebody playing the games is going to see it there, that depends on if they're playing the original or one of the later console releases.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Obviously Gourdy was the second shooter on the grassy knoll.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Well, at least there's nobody around to blackmail Grossberg into being the most unhelpful person imaginable this time, right?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

SMaster777 posted:

Interesting that this guy's name got changed at least for this version. I remember on the original DS release and the Wiiware port, his name was "Uncle." Now its "Caretaker."

I seem to recall the game using both.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

You say convoluted, but that's about par for the course for an Ace Attorney trial. Or did you forget that Phoenix won his second case through literal divine intervention? :v:

I acknowledge that Mia is very attractive, but deifying her seems like a step too far.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I've played this game several times and I still can't tell if Manfred is supposed to secretly be Dracula or that's just a fashion statement.

Clearly he's the protagonist of the next Devil May Cry game. Phoenix needs to dispense with all of this "court of law" nonsense and beat the hell out of him with his Marvel vs. Capcom superpowers.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

But he defeats enemies in UMvC3 in the exact same way he defeats them in this game.

It's been a while since I last played this game, but I don't remember beating anybody to death with a sheaf of papers. I feel like that's a thing I'd remember.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

YggiDee posted:

One of his attacks is literally spraying paperwork at people.

Yes, that was my point.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Von Karma's front-facing sprite is viscerally disturbing somehow.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I guess it depends on if it was the elevator car was airtight or the shaft. Both are stupid, but clearly one has to be the case.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

The amount of work von Karma puts into his cheating is just staggering. He must have been up all night retraining that parrot.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I believe metal detection is based on conductivity, not magnetism.

Bah, ninja'd by an entire page of discussion about this that got posted in the time i took to post. Foiled again!

So how exactly does one go about not getting a bullet wound treated? Can you just leave a bullet in your body and be perfectly fine? That seems... unsafe, and noticeable by the people around you.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 30, 2023

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Quackles posted:

What if the prosecutor showed up wearing a cravat?

At least the cravat doesn't give the impression that you're being court martialed.

Now I'm curious if the medals are just for the sake of making another wacky character design or if this is some weird Japanese thing that us poor westerners could never hope to understand.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

NullBlack posted:

*"uniform" used advisedly; having seen her colleagues, there's nothing uniform ("remaining the same in all cases and at all times") about it.

drat it, now I want the fancy suit with cravat to be the uniform for prosecutors. Or the not-quite military uniform. Or both. Can you pair medals and epaulets like that with a cravat?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I think the object investigation stuff might be Nintendo's fault, rather than the developers'. Remember that the DS port of this game, which introduced this case, was fairly early on in the DS lifecycle, when Nintendo was still demanding that every game made for it had to heavily feature THE GAME-CHANGING REVOLUTIONARY NEW TOUCH SCREEN TECHNOLOGY! There were a lot of games around then that had unnecessary touchscreen gimmicks forced in to appease the great and terrible N.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Having found out that the mentor he idolized and modeled himself after was... well... everything von Karma was, it makes sense that Edgeworth is trying to get out of being mini-Manfred. He isn't entirely clear on how to be anything other than what he's been, but he's trying. But he'll never give up the cravat.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm assuming Marshall is Japanese in the non-localized version, and I feel like that's pretty charming. Just a literal Rawhide Kobayashi working the beat in downtown Tokyo or wherever it's set.

Indeed, in the Japanese version, he's Kyosuke Zaimon. I've been told that, in lieu of his cowboy jargon in the English verison, he spoke a lot of gratuitous English in the Japanese.

As for why he's a cowboy... there's actually a very good reason, but I can't go into it until OP gets to a much later game.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

The Blue Badger is probably less of an oddity in the Japanese version when you consider that they have a mascot for just about every company out there.

Oh, it's way better than that.

Behold Peopo-kun, the mascot of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department.

Zerbin7 posted:

Take another look at the mascot's head. He's supposed to resemble a policeman's badge. Thus, the Blue "Badge"-er.

Just for reference, in the Japanese version, his name is Taiho (Arrest).

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Those look like bog-standard 55 gallon drums. 55 gallons of water weighs 450 pounds, with the drum, depending on material, adding around 30-50 pounds more. We're expected to believe that Lana just casually kicked over a 500 pound drum mid-fight? Will the court please demand an investigation into the source of the defendant's super-strength?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Gant is a disturbing character. It's not the way he acts toward others, it's not his dialogue.

It's those eyes.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

NullBlack posted:

why are his pupils white, is what I'd like to know. Everyone else's eyes are normal.

Oh, it's worse than that. If you look close (I know, but we do what we must, FOR SCIENCE!)...

...he has some kind of spiral shaped irises, with the white spot as the center of the spiral. No actual pupils.

He's clearly not human. No wonder he wears sunglasses indoors.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Marshall shaves his infinite stubble

I've finally come up with an explanation for this one - Japanifornian knife laws are so strict, Marshall's knife obviously can't be real! It's made of plastic!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I am being constantly reminded just how much of this case I'd forgotten about. But I never forgot how much I resented it for wasting so much time to say so little.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I do love the amount of extra art they did for these flashbacks compared to the original cases.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I have no ear for instruments at all, is Gant's theme supposed to be something that could be produced by a pipe organ?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

So Darke went on a killing spree that resulted in 5 dead bodies, which he buried. He turned himself in, got questioned, then tried to escape, killing one of the investigating detectives in the process. He successfully escaped and evaded capture by the rest of the team for 6 months. Then he was caught, tried, and executed.

Overall, the timeline isn't that weird. I'm more confused by the part where he turns himself in but then escapes and goes on the lam.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

He was present at the scene of both crime scenes, the murder weapon was his knife, and the body was his in trunk.

Except the murder weapon was the SL9 knife, Lana just admitted to having decided on her own to swap the knives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

It's becoming more and more obvious that the Blue Badger was the real murderer all along.