Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of what we do in the Investigation phases of the game is Wacky Adventure Game Contrivances for what would just be Discovery in the real world.

but most people wouldn't be interested in "submit tons of paperwork to the judge simulator 2001", i imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I like how no one is bothered by Maya just recording her call. Must have one-party consent laws, because otherwise without Mia explicitly consenting to that recording that's a crime presented and effectively admitted to the court right there.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

davidspackage posted:

There's multiple YT videos of real lawyers playing Ace Attorney and while some of the real world critique is a little obvious, they tend to turn out quite funny (no spoilers, they play the first case which is already covered):

https://youtu.be/xu6ZRWp9rA4

https://youtu.be/om6BMBhhoPo

DKII, I really appreciate you going through the effort of even transcribing the follow-ups to the wrong questions, I haven't even seen most of them. Though, if at any time you feel like skipping those, I'd understand, this game is very very long.

My biggest problem with these "real lawyer reacts!" videos is they're all responding to the game/anime from an American judicial standpoint. There's plenty examples of gross violations of Japanese constitutional law in these games, but good luck finding those critiques on English-speaking youtube.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The real Ace Attorney starts here. :getin:

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Omobono posted:

Ah, the Steel Samurai, warrior of Neo Olde Tokyo :allears:
By the way, can someone explain the evil magistrate thing? Is it the Japanese equivalent to a corrupt baron/count/generic noble or the Sheriff of Nottingham?

It might have been just (dai)maō in Japanese, which gets translated a whole bunch of different ways in English depending on the setting and context. Probably the straightest you've ever seen is "King of Evil" for Ganon in Zelda, or like Overlord in Disgaea.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Xander77 posted:

I was just about to comment on the lack of motive, when the game brings it up and... just does nothing with it?

Motive in these games only starts to matter when the prosecutor decides it matters i.e. when they run out of ways to hammer on "but the defendant could have possibly still done it this absurd way, HMMMMMM!?" arguments.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

"ook ook ook ook, always with the ooking" made me read all of Vasquez line in a heavy New York accent and makes her a lot more fun of a character

Same, but in a deep, drawn out contralto that makes her sound like a Broadway diva. Who is talking completely seriously about a goofy monkey statueclock.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I have played most of the games in this series. I have endured all sorts of witnesses and such in these investigations and courtroom sequences.

This guy manages to still be in my Top 5 Most Unpleasant To Deal With Characters in the series. Not so much for what he does or doesn't do, but just because I hate having to even look at him or read his text.

Tree Reformat fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 13, 2022

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
It's a little weird because for this whole mystery to work the way the story is laying it out, the adults have to be restricted in when and where they can move, but the kid needs to be able to move more freely to witness what he needs to.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
It's kinda funny how we spent so much time ragging on this kid about being ~*true fan*~ just to finally get a solid lead out of him. But yeah, it's a real good moment.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, technically our work should be done: we've proven there's reasonable doubt our client is the killer, so this hearing should end with a Not Guilty verdict, and the police should have to go back, investigate, and probably build a case on the studio higher ups.

But that wouldn't make for a terribly satisfying conclusion, since Ace Attorney is really a detective series with courtroom theming! So now we have to do the police/prosecution's job and stick the blame on whoever we conclude actually did it or Powers will hang anyway because... I dunno, someone should get punished for this mess, I guess?

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
It might play into the fact that Japan just has a very low violent crime rate. Phoenix getting four murder trials in a year might be considered the equivalent of Jessica Fletcher living in the murder capital of the world for all I know.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The trend of our clients being our worst enemies continues, with ours now literally confessing to murder right on the stand. I'm trying to imagine being a real lawyer playing this, somehow surviving the game so far without having a stroke, and then getting to this moment.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

This is a bit of an interesting situation, because the idea that Redd White could potentially have dirt on Lana isn't unreasonable. That said, the character bleeps used for the person White talks to were male, they apparently have a different title in Japanese, and...

The executioner! The hatchet-man! The liquidator... The killer, man!

the language he uses when speaking suggests that it was intended to be a man.

It gets weirder when you remember the DS title was the first English localization of the game, so they would have had access to a broader view of the story than the original developers did writing new stuff up as they went in each game.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
You can feel the developers reveling in how much storage space they have to play with now with how many bespoke lunch sprites they get to use with this lady. Positively decadent compared to the days of cutting back on Grossberg's sprites to get everything to fit on the gba cart.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I have to say that actually looking at it, that partition is in a really awkward place. Even the with tiniest cars, it looks like you'd have a rough time getting and out of that particular parking space, even without those oil drums in the way.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Needless to say, evidence law is some bullshit that has never come up before and, by virtue of the fact this case was made after the trilogy, will never come up again.

It's pretty rich given this is the same game that gave us the "Updated" autopsy report, and Phoenix himself swiping empty pill bottles and such and no one seeming to care very much.

It also kinda highlights how important proper Discovery procedure is, since you'll notice if you take this situation as canon that basically the police and prosecution entirely get to decide what is and isn't important to a case, and the defense (if this worked at all consistently) would have to eat poo poo if they wanted to dispute anything at all about said evidence list.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

chrome line posted:

I've always felt like the updated autopsy report was the last remnant of a much more antagonistic Edgeworth and that he was meant to be a little shady but not outright corrupt from the first 4 cases of this game. The kind of guy who (pre character development) might overlook other people doing things but isn't forging anything himself. That feels like the version of him they go with here, though it's very possible that it wasn't their original intent

I imagine Edgeworth was originally conceived as what would become Von Karma, and the character was split in two to make the plot more interesting.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Carbon dioxide posted:

This does not need to be a contradiction. Once again assuming Japanifornian law is a parody of Japanese law, it even makes a lot of sense.

In Japanese law, cases never make it into court unless the police can give the prosecution enough evidence that it'll be a clear "win" for them. That's why in over 99% of cases, the suspect is found guilty. If the police has any doubt about the suspect's guilt it never makes it into court.

So, in Japan, when working in the police, you'd prob have to let cases go if you can't get the evidence together, which can be frustrating if you're quite certain who did it.
But working as a prosecutor, you're going to win basically every case.

This adds a layer of dark comedy to the whole "King of Prosecutors" award. It's basically an award for the guy who goes into court in a nice suit and gets their cases rubber-stamped by the judge the most. From the point of view of the police, prosecutors like Edgeworth and Lana are getting the wealth and prestige that comes mostly from the work the police did.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Commander Keene posted:

It's weird how he goes through all that to cover up a road accident and then just... turns himself in?

Apparently that's a mistranslation that never got corrected. All he did was voluntarily submit himself to police questioning, but didn't actually tell them anything directly incriminating, is the implication here.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Lana will be terribly pleased with us, considering if the accusation we've just made stands, her sister will be tried and likely convicted of murder or manslaughter.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine even if she technically gets off easy by the legal system itself, Ema being found guilty of murder (manslaughter is still murder, just the "least bad" kind, is my understanding) would mean severe social consequences.

Remember how Yanni Yogi was found innocent by way of insanity, but it still effectively destroyed his life due to sheer social stigma? Ema might be facing the same kind of fate even if her actual sentencing is light.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

DKII posted:

We're a rather startling 160 updates into this game now; I really did not know what I was getting into. Good news, though - I'll be updating three times a week from here on out.

The good news is that this is the longest case in the series, and I believe that makes this the longest game as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
It's funny, if Gant hadn't been in such a rush to cover his rear end, he would have realized he should have waited until after he skewered the cowboy to cut the cloth out, so that the blood would have soaked that part as well. That would have made it impossible to prove he was the murderer without corroborating evidence or testimony.