Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SplitSoul posted:

Created the Union of Planetary Soviets in Stellaris and was immediately set upon by extremely belligerent, bipedal newts who would only briefly stop genociding each other to demand tribute from and raid their neighbors.

oh poo poo, you found the aliens that the british royal family descend from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

The DLC obsession with adding new nickle and dime subsystems is honestly what keeps me from playing EU4 nowadays, but that's just predictably lazy, predatory capitalism. As you say, you need all DLC systems to work with all other DLC systems, so in the end you have to juggle a dozen different screens to pile up all your piddly +2.5% bonuses; busywork that punishes you for not fiddling, buttons you just have to click every 5 years for treats like a Facebook social experiment...

yea, most every paradox game suffers from the same lifecycle problem. first they start out as a buggy mess, then they eventually become playable and fun a few patches (and dlcs) in and in the end they've tacked on so many goddamn bells and whistles that it's just a chore to play

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the only units you need are power liches and vampire lords and enough skelemans to shield them :colbert:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

let me tell you about how impeccably authentic the modeling of this completely hypothetical concept is

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Danann posted:

so yeah i just strung them along and when they had basically no more support i dropped the matter entirely

and then they say that paradox is bad at modeling real life politics

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Chad Jihad posted:

'Stratocratic Eco-Juche Irredentism'

finally some representation for cspam thought

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

I think I might (at some point) post an AAR for a certain 30 player Dominions 5 game that lasted for over a year IRL (almost two years IIRC), of which I participated in about half the turns before having to sub out of despite being the strongest player due to IRL stuff. It's amazing how far you can get by just on bluffing about your strength after you somehow blundered into winning an unwinnable fight and build up actual strength off of it.

ah, the old germany special

palindrome posted:

I think I played 2 full multiplayer Dominions 4 games, each lasting 3+ months. It was quite an experience. 1 turn every 24 hours sure is something, I can see how olden dudes got a kick out of chess by mail (post).

Anyway I personally got wrecked in Dom4 newbie game 1 but came out in top in newbie game 2 with the strong meta strategy of destroy all of earth with Armageddon to demoralize the other players, and use tartarus gate summons to get lots of giant demon guys that weren't bothered by Armageddon.

It's ok to wreck the world economy as long as your economy maintains a slight competitive advantage relative to everyone else. That's what we call a win condition.

ah, the old us special

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
on the one hand "what if the axis win" is dumb and overplayed, but on the other hand "what if the axis did worse than irl" means that germany gets completely curbstomped very early on and that wouldn't make for a very interesting game

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i find that rover assaults work against the ai, but if you're playing against a human opponent and they're even halfway competent they'll generally find and attack your rovers before they get into attack position using roads and sensors

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
only the finest handcrafted tiger tanks forged from pure hanzo steel

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
they had to call ff back to the ranks for one last mission

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i think they're doing the thing where they pretend there's some kind of continuity between the kievan rus and modern ukraine

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BearsBearsBears posted:

Bringing you more Alpha Centauri.

I wasn't planning on doing any screenshots but this game is turning out interesting so I thought why the hell not. I've been playing and playtesting my modded version of Cha Dawn. However, map generation has given me a interesting game scenario. I played with similiar parameters as I usually do (standard size, weak erosion, dense clouds, no tech trading) but I changed the amount of native life to medium to get a better read of Cha Dawn's balance. I also kept tech stagnation off, I'm going to have enough trouble doing research.

Fun Fact: Xenofungus is not affected by the normal tile resource limits, this just never comes up in normal games. I had assumed that it would be and so I could add another +1 mineral tech to Cha Dawn with the tech that lifts the 2 mineral limit on tiles. I had to re-evalute my numbers when I found out that fungus can give 3 resources straight from the start of the game.

this seems a bit too strong, tbh, because mineral boni add up and the earlier you get them the better. personally i would dial down the mineral bonus a notch and give cha dawn one inherent lifecycle bonus or something if possible

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BearsBearsBears posted:

I was struggling for a while in my current game but I also got a relatively bad start. Remember that the 3 minerals is partially offset by the -2 industry so it works out to 2.5 Minerals. The -2 Economy is also very harsh at the beginning of the game so that slows you down, especially at the beginning. If you want to do decent research you have to balance between your high mineral fungus tiles and your terraformed farm+solar tiles. I ran the numbers and despite all this my modded Cha Dawn should still be worse at production than the Free Drones working Forests all the way up until a Tier 13 research (Matter Transmission). This is after accounting for +Industry (SE and inherent) and conversion of Energy to Minerals through rushing. The Nutrients were the part I wasn't sure if I properly accounted for since Cha Dawn's fungus gives 2 right at the start of the game while everybody else needs Tree Farms for Forest tiles to be self-sustaining.

I used 2 energy = 1 mineral for my calculations but I've got some thoughts on that myself. I think the conversion ratio is a lot closer to 1 (tile) energy = 1 (tile) mineral. You get a lot more energy percent bonuses and a lot earlier while the very first mineral bonus you get is at Tier 6 with the Genejack Factory.

Just giving Cha Dawn a Lifecycle bonus didn't seem like it would be interesting enough to me. It would have been possible to just give him Brood Pits from the start of the game to give him better and cheaper Mind Worms than everyone else. I felt that giving him an implicit goal of covering Planet in Xenofungus while all the other Factions want to remove it was something really interesting.

If you want to personally check if he's overpowered feel free to give him a spin yourself. Link is in one of my earlier posts. Remember that's he's balanced against the my modded versions of the Factions (or unmodded Free Drones).

Edit: Reducing the Mineral production to 2 would make it match Forest. Because of when Fungus bonuses come up versus when Forest bonuses come up this would make there be large portions of the game where Forests work better for Cha Dawn compared to Xenofungus. In my experience these are also the sections of the game where you usually first solidify your victory.

yea, i get your reasoning, but 3-2 tiles without having to do any terraforming is still real strong

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
don't quote me on this one, but i seem to recall i read somewhere that yang was involved in garland's assassination given that he was the second in command on unity and thus would be in a position to take over

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

There's something about a bunch of stupid looking frogs and bats showing up in a game full of MOST ANCIENT MYSTICAL AND MAGICAL WARRIORS OF THE FAITH with stuff like Jotuns, lovecraftian bullshit, Daevas, Danavas, crusading knights, demons of the celestial bureaucracy, and whatnot, that just makes me like them way too much.

to be fair battletoads + batman is one of the more op teams i can think of

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the best civ is alpha centauri, obviously

but as for the mainline games 4 is the best. never played 1 or 2, but 3 and 6 are just garbage and 5 used to be garbage but got pretty fun after the expansions

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

redleader posted:

extremely good poo poo, cheers. i knew in a very abstract way that old-timey armies had big trains of followers and such, and that logistics is a huge part of military life. but you _never_ hear about it or see it portrayed or anything, and don't realise what 10,000 men marching around wherever means in practice, etc etc

yea, for early modern times an army of some tens of thousands plus all its associated camp followers and such would p much be the equivalent of a mobile medium-sized city except it has to bring all of its infrastructure with it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Orange Devil posted:

I think the only succesful invasion of "Russia" he could've done would be to bite off a small chunk of it and occupy it with troops dispersed along the border and back into the depth of Poland and Germany to be called up on short notice in case Russia mustered an army to take it back.

Then either use that to come to terms or constitute a Polish Republic or whatever to administer the place and prepare to grab another chunk in the next campaigning season.

Going for the throat is folly.

well, the problem with the slow approach is that france already managed to get bogged down in one grinding war of attrition down in spain and if you just go to take a chunk out of the border you're basically just walking into another quagmire

not to say that marching straight for moscow was a better option, but rather that there really was no good way to invade russia in 1812

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
yeah, after russia conquered the baltics the dominant class there was the baltic german aristocracy, who were extremely overprivileged and had absolutely zero reason to cooperate with napoleon

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
them and the hanseatic league

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

As a sidenote, the manual for Dominions 6 is freely available to everyone:

https://www.illwinter.com/dom6/dom6manual.pdf

this is real useful, thanks for sharing

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i maintain that it was a mistake to teach liberals words like "colonialism" and "imperialism"

and also words in general

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
inadvertently proving that communism is the optimal economic system is a time-honored vicky tradition tho

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

Spain did -massive- population transfers into Americas during its colonialism, both whites from the Metropole as well as slaves from Africa when native population died in large numbers. Russia also did massive population transfers during its colonization of Siberia. It's clearly not limited to US/Israel/Nazi Germany.

as far as i know immigration to siberia was very limited until they got the trans-siberian railway up and running, which seems to argue against a deliberate policy of population transfer

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
also from one thing to another, i'm not a military man but it seems to me that you should maybe not have your recon guys engage in stand-up fights instead of doing their actual job

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
seems like sparta was the us military of its time; big reputation, good at fighting people who can't really fight back, bad at fighting people who can

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the only winning move is to play as the pavn

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
anarchists reinventing the state and just calling it something else you say?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

Now that the new Dominions patch is out, I can actually post this:

As a sidenote, I have to say that I did not expect to have to proofread "The Succubus has collected enough semen" when I became a beta tester.

late age pyrene seems slightly busted, tbh

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
at least in my test game dream seduction seems p drat strong when you get it right out of the box and can start the bullshit before anybody really has the research to counter some invisible dick spamming warrior illusions or even worse phantasmal wolves/warriors

also when it works it can easily break you into a whole lot of magic paths you wouldn't get otherwise. i managed to steal a couple of sauromancers from c'tis and a whole lot of mystics from arco and that helped tremendously

the demon heavy cav is really dope too, as you said, even with a kinda mid bless they clear out indies real easy

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cerebral Bore posted:

also when it works it can easily break you into a whole lot of magic paths you wouldn't get otherwise. i managed to steal a couple of sauromancers from c'tis and a whole lot of mystics from arco and that helped tremendously

also also i've kept tooling around in my test game to try out some lategame strats, and it turns out that kidnapping mages is actually really loving strong if you can hit the right nations, especially once i remembered how easy it is to empower mages into blood magic. i empowered those sauromancers i mentioned to blood 2, and now i have the good ol' vampire factory up and running and it'll only get worse once i can start summoning vampire lords

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i like new vegas because it hits that sweet spot of just enough jank to let you do stupid poo poo but not so much jank that it kills the fun

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

I'm assuming you mean Fallout: Tactics, right?

fallout tactics gets a bad rap, but as far as i can recall it was actually pretty fun as long as vehicles weren't involved

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i remember that medieval 1 was really fun once you got the high-end knights and could just go full battering ram against anything except pikemen

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
seems like projecting in and then dropping fire storm or some other spell that hits the whole battlefield could be pretty drat nasty

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
does sneaking in scouts with gems and projecting or teleporting in still work in dom6?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

Projecting doesn't let you bring gems on the projection, so you can't cast spells that use regular gems.

Since blood slaves are, well, not something you carry around in your pocket, they can be used by any nearby mage, so a scout sneak attacking into the province he's hiding in and carrying blood slaves can provide them for the projection's magic phase attack. (Can't sneak attack it from neighboring provinces, the idea is that he's already there when the magic phasing happens)

yeah, that makes sense. kinda hard to find a glamour/astral/blood mage to pull it off with though

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

Gygjas! Since the projections keep the boosts the casters got from boosters before casting the spell as their baseline (but not the boosters themselves), they can actually pull it off.

Alternatively, if you have a pretender that's already got those, paths, too.

You can do some funny/infuriating poo poo with projected blood, like hellpower horror bombs.

yeah, that would work. i was thinking more like sniping raiding thugs with hellbind heart or life for a life but a safe way to horror bomb is pretty drat cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
also if you want to do the projection+gifts from heaven thing i feel like you could pull it off pretty easily with ea or ma celestial masters