Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
A layer of film grain will do wonders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Tom Bombadil is a badass who commands ents, fears no wight and over whom The One Ring holds no power.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
That's not his fault.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

Galadriel posted:

"And you?" [Galadriel] said, turning to Sam. "For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe, though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem also to use the same word of the deciets of the Enemy."

edit: ha, beaten

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
I want a godzilla spider sucking the juice from a tree

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Guys guys what if it's

good?

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Wouldn't it be funny if The Stranger was young, hip Gandalf

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Spandex was invented in Valinor durring the Years of the Trees.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
cen orodrim egor edledhia

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
The Wizards all came to Middle Earth in the third age and came over the sea to the havens, not riding meteors into the second age.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
clapping

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
That's more theme than allegory.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Not bad. Definitely an "inspired by" situation instead of an adaptation but I've got no problem with that.

Galadriel peacing out and swimming back to middle-earth was hillarious.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

2nd level spells posted:

I want a godzilla spider sucking the juice from a tree

:( some day

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
I hope the show makes room for more sea-soaked elves in gauzy shifts.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
the tales that really mattered
'god'
morgoth
sauron
mega elves
wizards
regular elves
everyone else

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
some say his wartime assassin antics are still classified in her majesty's archives. some say he made it all up because he was, as were and are many, a big clingy nerd who needed people to like him.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

algebra testes posted:

Tom Bombadil is canonically alive during this show right?

Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn, dude

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The books is much brisker than this. Chapter 1 is Bilbo's party, chapter 2 you get the history of the ring and you learn that Frodo is in grave danger and has to run for his life. So 1 hour into the book you know the main character well, you know why he's being threatened and you know what he has to do.

The entire first book is a slow and meandering stroll until they get near the fords at the very end. Frodo learns he's in grave danger and just hangs out and drinks tea for months. Some of the wildest action is Sam throwing an apple at a dude's head.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Orcs are bred naturally as any other beast, a reality blessedly absent from Jackson's stretched condom ecology.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
So anyway I couldn't detect a nipple or an rear end crack none. Some sort of body glove?

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
How they decided Eregion is where soul food comes from I just can't guess but I'm down.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
The elves on the boat spontaneously breaking out in a hymn is the most Tolkien thing ever.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Shut up.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Jesus I hate people so much

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Pretty sure Thay would side with Sauron.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
stealth games piss me off but I hope he gets to ambush strangle people.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

Yuiiut posted:

“And far away, as Frodo put on the Ring and claimed it for his own, even in Sammath Naur the very heart of his realm, the Power in Barad-dūr was shaken, and the Tower trembled from its foundations to its proud and bitter crown. The Dark Lord was suddenly aware of him, and his Eye piercing all shadows looked across the plain to the door that he had made; and the magnitude of his own folly was revealed to him in a blinding flash, and all the devices of his enemies were at last laid bare. Then his wrath blazed in consuming flame, but his fear rose like a vast black smoke to choke him. For he knew his deadly peril and the thread upon which his doom now hung.

From all his policies and webs of fear and treachery, from all his stratagems and wars his mind shook free; and throughout his realm a tremor ran, his slaves quailed, and his armies halted, and his captains suddenly steerless, bereft of will, wavered and despaired. For they were forgotten. The whole mind and purpose of the Power that wielded them was now bent with overwhelming force upon the Mountain. At his summons, wheeling with a rending cry, in a last desperate race there flew, faster than the winds, the Nazgūl, the Ringwraiths, and with a storm of wings they hurtled southwards to Mount Doom.”

My second favorite passage, the first being the Witch King's blood curdling threat to Eowyn of which the film disapointingly only uses the first line.

edit: that whole scene really

Book 5, Chapter 6 The Battle of the Pelennor Fields posted:

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"

A cold voice answered: 'Come not between the Nazgūl and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."

A sword rang as it was drawn. "Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."

"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"

Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. "But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand before me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead I will smite you if you touch him."

2nd level spells fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 9, 2022

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Even little mortal Eowyn lops off the fell beast's head in one swing.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
But hobbits are a different species and if you'll notice ain't around anymore.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

That Italian Guy posted:

For a moment I thought all the Harfoot women had nature themed names, but it appears Nori is short for Elanor?

Elanor is a flower in middle-earth

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
I'm sure the flower was around before Galadriel set up shop in Lorien.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
I have to admit I like how cute and weird the harfoot culture is. They camouflage thier wagons as little hills! loving adorable.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
He reminds me of squire Arthur from Excalibur.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
How are "wisdom, mercy, understanding" and "bullheaded scrapper" mutually exclusive? As another said I think you just don't like this depeiction are are looking for back-up in the text to prove you are right to dislike it.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
"give me the meat and give it to me raw" lol

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Ents have twig dicks.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Check IMDB for the continuity supervisor and kill them

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

Zzulu posted:

What did the hobbits drink during their journey

I want to see how they meticulously collected drinkable water

Worrying about water actually comes up quite a bit once Frodo and Sam cross into Mordor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
You know, I like the orcs being in white because it's both a little subversion of bad guys being in black and practical because white would block more sunlight.