Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

astral
Apr 26, 2004

teen phone cutie posted:

anyone buy those under-the-sink water filtration systems and can vouch for it? i'm perfectly fine drinking from my brita filter but my girlfriend thinks this san diego water needs some heavy duty poo poo

we just looked at one in costco the other day but i was like ehhhhhh

Are you already using the "Longlast+" filters? If not, those filter out more things than the standard filters and could be a good compromise offer.

3-packs of those regularly go on a $10 off sale at Sam's Club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Walrus posted:

Longlast filters are maybe ok for a 1 person house but they take soooooo long to filter if you go through water they are useless.

I have one that's "Longlast+" and it takes like 5 minutes to filter. I think the previous generation without the plus took longer.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tried some of Sam's Club's Super Premium ice cream the other day and...it's no Kirkland Signature, that's for sure.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I'm saying their ice cream is bad. Condolences.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Hambulance posted:

I've had one for about three years now.

The ziplock bags with the hole won't hold vacuum for more than a day or two. Unless it's something you will be opening and closing a lot, don't use them.

I've previously tried drat near every non-foodsaver bag that amazon carried, and from my experience it's best to stick with FoodSaver brand. They consistently work the best. The ones at Costco are usually a good deal, but you can get better prices sometimes if you shop around. Sometimes the ones at Costco are an assortment and come with ones you'll never use.

The foodsaver website frequently has sales where you can get a bunch of rolls (the type you use/need, rather than assortments) for a lot less.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If they were that committed, it would be "Jongga with two Gs"

astral
Apr 26, 2004

redreader posted:

What are the absolute top tier family entrees from costco? I'm married with kids and sometimes want to just take something from the freezer and put it in the oven. I love the lasagne but my wife is getting sick of it. And what are the best frozen chicken breasts/nuggets? are any of them not reconstituted meat? The Tyson ones are.

People liked the fully cooked Just Bare chicken breast chunks a few pages back. Link to where that discussion started: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008238&pagenumber=26&perpage=40#post525927217

astral
Apr 26, 2004

the non-imgur version has sound

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7149252134737906987

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

Thanks, I had no clue how to embed a tiktok video and it clearly wasn't working just from pasting the link.

There's a trick to it: if you paste the original link in a browser and then copy the link it redirects to, the new link will work for embedding.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I didn't know you could freeze cheese.

In my experience cheese tends to become brittle after being frozen (especially noticeable if it's pre-sliced stuff) but otherwise is just fine.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

Just gonna say it here, dark chocolate is way overrated

edit: Incredible snipe

mods?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Original_Z posted:

You guys see how the American Costco credit card is removing the extended warranty?

Seems like a huge loss and the main reason to even get the card!

Citi already dropped it from most of their no-AF cards a long time ago; I suspect their contract with Costco forbade them from dropping it until the next negotiation or whatever.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

silence_kit posted:

The Costco card is 3% in the travel and restaurant categories, which is pretty good for a no-annual fee card. The fact that you can only redeem the cash-back once a year in physical cash is not ideal and a little inconvenient, but I'm still keeping mine.

U.S. Bank offers a no-annual-fee 4X (4%) dining card, and they also recently added a $95 annual fee visa card that gives 3% back on $1500 in wholesale clubs per quarter, as well as 6% back on $1500 per quarter at your choice of two retailers from a list (the list is not very impressive compared to alternatives, though).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If you already have it there's no reason not to carry it, but that also doesn't lock you out of having different/better things for other purposes.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Ugh, does it have to be a poop joke?

General Bullshit: Ugh, does it have to be a poop joke?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If that happened using an app, I'd recommend reporting it to their developers.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I was asking besides cleaning and shrink wrapping every square inch of this thing, is there anything else I can do to make it easier on the staff?

Not returning the $2,000 wall bed after having it for 3 years would make it a lot easier on the staff, as well as the future of Costco's return policy.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The nice thing about Costco is they could easily determine who purchased it to to return the card to them, assuming it was not discarded because it was already empty.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

See you all at the Sam's Club.

edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023069

astral
Apr 26, 2004

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

How does that work when the sign says 1/4 lb All Beef Hot Dog plus 20oz Drink (with refill)? :confused:

They shrink the condiments and the bun.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Soul Dentist posted:

If you're gonna "live" like that you could probably do just fine with one G

:mods:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Does anyone know if those new bivalent covid shots are available at Costco yet? They got the last bivalent very quickly.

The new ones aren’t bivalent.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

doctorofcredit.com posted:

Costco sent out notice to members that after November 15, 2023, the online Costco.com will no longer accept Discover cards

Discover often had 5% cash back on purchases from wholesale clubs, so that's a bit of a bummer.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If you live that far away, you could try calling them and asking what the in-club price is.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Or, if you don't want to buy the extended warranty, at least pay with a card that has its own extended warranty benefit.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Good; sounds like it's time for you to buy a membership.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I finally got a costco membership. I assume they have stuff in stores not on their website? I need a new sonicare brush, but on the website they only have it in two packs.

large hands posted:

They've only ever sold them in two packs at my warehouse. Well the motors are in 2 packs, the heads are ten packs I think.

And those two-packs usually cost about the same as a one-pack everywhere else, so even if you don't have immediate use for the second one it's like getting a free spare for when the first one dies. They also tend to come with a good number/variety of brush heads.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

folks i have a confession

i cheated on costco and got a sam's club pass

they have the cheapest price you can buy Nerds Clusters at

is there anything else there that's good value cuz i just bought a bunch of bags and left

Their TP can be better than Costco's depending on your region and is usually a pretty good value. They put paper goods on instant savings pretty often.

In my area Costco doesn't sell cherry tomatoes on the vine, but Sam's Club sells Sunset Flavor Bombs, which are delicious.

I like Sam's Club's chocolate muffins more than Costco's, but Costco has the superior blueberry muffin.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

duracells (of the conventional kind, not the specialty line ones) ruin my devices all the time by oxidizing in place too, soooooo?

Make sure to take them up on their warranty if it keeps happening. They'll pay to repair/replace whatever their leaky rear end batteries ruin.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

Those full cooked Turkey breasts are freakin' solid. Just as juicy and tasting like anything I'd roast myself while giving medium effort so worth every penny imho.

I've been having twice as many Turkey sandwiches as I normally have. I've been very satisfied and if there are any left on my next trip I may grab 2 for the freezer.

I’ll have to try that next year, thanks for mentioning it. Sounds even easier than even those frozen “oven ready” ones in the foil bags.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

I thought smash Mouth was dead

That's almost enough eggs to bring him back.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Yeah, the battery daddy isn't going to stop alkalines from leaking, as is their nature. Get some nice Eneloops or Fujitsu or whoever's rebranding those FDK eneloops these days.

A quick search turned this up:
https://eneloop101.com/batteries/rewrapped-batteries/

edit: Nice to see some of the Ikeas are still apparently made in Japan, but they aren't quite the standard eneloops.
Some are similar to eneloop pro, which are only rated for 500 cycles (real world probably lower):
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ladda-rechargeable-battery-hr06-aa-1-2v-50504692/

Others similar to first gen eneloop, 1000 cycles:
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ladda-rechargeable-battery-hr06-aa-1-2v-00509814/
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ladda-rechargeable-battery-hr03-aaa-1-2v-90509819/

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Renegret posted:

Every time someone posts that they got a Real Good anything, it's always too complain that it sucks.

At this point just avoid the name altogether.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Can't wait to pay with a lovely QR code/mobile app instead of contactless! :barf:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FPzero posted:

https://www.costco.com/Jetson%20Haze%20Electric%20Bike.product.1674823.html?sh=true&nf=true

My roommate is considering an electric bike as a way to get to work and lighten some load on our house's car situation. We live in a large US city with plenty of car traffic, but also a good amount of bike lanes. Does anyone have experience with this bike or ones like it? The price looked affordable but we want to make sure it's reliable for daily use.

I believe TGO has a bikes thread or two that you might want to consult.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

My wife tried the cookie today, and is feeling very sick to her stomach. She didn't expect it to be as rich as it was.

How much of the cookie did she eat?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

durrneez posted:

god drat i love costco

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Went to my local Costco the other day and they're using those rotisserie chicken bags now. Around a quarter of them had popped open on the shelf, so if you're worried about spills you might want to consider putting them in a meat department bag or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

pentyne posted:

The other notable example was paper towels, which at some point in the last few years went from good to trash quality.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Really? I haven’t noticed any difference.

This might be regional like the TP.